Match List 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if the fact that there was such a huge backlash actually made the program more stable. Either that or its just delaying the inevitable and created some admins with axes to grind. Either way, the uncertainty would make me pretty nervous to go though, but some people really want to be in NYC.
Really doesn't seem like an ideal place to train in Family Medicine anyway. You'd probably get better training in rural Iowa or something. But, like you said, some people just gotta New York.

Edit: I guess it depends on what you want. If you to do full spectrum cowboy medicine, Columbia probably isn't the place. If you are interested in studying population health, addressing health care disparities among minorities, etc., it might be a great place to train.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Really doesn't seem like an ideal place to train in Family Medicine anyway. You'd probably get better training in rural Iowa or something. But, like you said, some people just gotta New York.

Shhhh!!! Don't tell people about rural Iowa!

Honestly, I'm finding amazing looking programs all over. A lot of people have this opinion of FM training only being good out west or something. There's plenty of unopposed, rural, and otherwise intense training to be had in almost every state. But yeah, I would agree, I wouldn't go to NYC if my goal was amazing FM training. Now if I lived there and all my family was there, that's a different story.

Shhhh!!! Don't tell people about rural Iowa!

Honestly, I'm finding amazing looking programs all over. A lot of people have this opinion of FM training only being good out west or something. There's plenty of unopposed, rural, and otherwise intense training to be had in almost every state. But yeah, I would agree, I wouldn't go to NYC if my goal was amazing FM training. Now if I lived there and all my family was there, that's a different story.

Are you applying to my program @hallowmann ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the match list for WCUCOM class of 2016. Very impressive for a school of this age and mission.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    227.1 KB · Views: 347
We have EM, anesthesia, general surgery, rads, OBGYN, and urology. We also had a lot of ACGME IM and FM matches. Im very proud of WCUCOM and its students.

VERY impressive?

We have EM, anesthesia, general surgery, rads, OBGYN, and urology. We also had a lot of ACGME IM and FM matches. Im very proud of WCUCOM and its students.
Most of those specialties are 1-2 people. ~90+% into PC or average competitive specialties. You didn't post the places they matched either. Honestly that list looks about on par for WCU. I'm glad you're proud but you're not being objective.

Reactions: 4 users

Since it's two months into intern year, are these matches, or overall placement? Not taking away from anyone on the list, but it's an important distinction to make when you're looking at the numbers.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is the match list for WCUCOM class of 2016. Very impressive for a school of this age and mission.

I think it's a match that can be expected of WCU. But on an objective level it's not a very impressive match in any regard. But hey, they're doctors and I'll imagine many of them will be content and happy with what they do with their lives.

Reactions: 1 user

Just to be clear a tally of specialties and states does not constitute a "match list"

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 10 users

Acgme IM and FM definitely doesn't make a list impressive. Nor does 1-2 general surgery or urology. Would really like to see the actual list of places where they matched as supposed to just a grouping list.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Acgme IM and FM definitely doesn't make a list impressive. Nor does 1-2 general surgery or urology. Would really like to see the actual list of places where they matched as supposed to just a grouping list.

Not to be disingenuous or anything, but we can probably assume that they're not really impressive sites with maybe a handful of university affiliated programs. I mean even the people there who likely did well probably had limited coaching or education on where they could go with their scores too, or maybe just the population was more interested in finishing and going to programs back home, idk.

Members don't see this ad :)

I mean it's literally an objectively bad "match list" (it's a tally of how many people matched which specialty...). Like someone said they will all be doctors and quite satisfied I'm sure but when comparing to other schools impressive is the last adjective that comes to mind.

I mean it's literally an objectively bad "match list" (it's a tally of how many people matched which specialty...). Like someone said they will all be doctors and quite satisfied I'm sure but when comparing to other schools impressive is the last adjective that comes to mind.

My curiosity is where the rest of the class is. They have 87 ppl in that match list out of what number of people? Are the rest of a class of 150? scrambling?

But honestly if you expected a lot of surgery or ACGME matches from WCU then idk what. Even in 10 years I doubt it'll match 80% of their students outside of Primary Care Specialties like Peds, FM, IM, Psych, and Ob/gyn.

I can find WCU's COMLEX 3 scores really easily, their COMLEX 1 on the other hand....

(if you have been reading on SDN long enough you will know what I am getting at)

I can find WCU's COMLEX 3 scores really easily, their COMLEX 1 on the other hand....

(if you have been reading on SDN long enough you will know what I am getting at)

Well their pass rate is likely still sub-90%. Their average is most likely sub 500 as well. More worrying is that they also likely have a pretty poor retention rate as well.

But honestly if you expected a lot of surgery or ACGME matches from WCU then idk what.
I didn't expect to be impressed and I wasn't impressed. Hence mine and others' surprise to that word being used.

I didn't expect to be impressed and I wasn't impressed. Hence mine and others' surprise to that word being used.

That was more a general statement towards everyone judging the list tbh.

Can't confirm unfortunately. This is an error that's made time and time again at a lot of schools with writing UChicago and not NorthShore. I don't know much about the affiliations and how strong they are to the extent that Northshore would be placed under the name of UChicago.

Last edited:
Apparently KCUMB offers an MD degree.
IMG_8752.png

Dr. Parsel is the KCU match.
I'm sure some low level secretarial drone who has no idea what a DO is filled out the info the website devs.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm sure some low level secretarial drone who has no idea what a DO is filled out the info the website devs.

A lot of residency pages just automatically fill in MD for doctors. Even in midwestern cities with DO programs the hospitals will be like graduated from XCOM, MD.

It occasionally makes it difficult to identify whether a program is DO friendly.

It definitely happens, I've even seen some where some DO were labeled as DOs and some as MDs.

That happened at my place this year. Couple DO's got listed as MD, apparently it was more work than it is worth to get them changed in the hospital system so it's not getting changed.

Why would you post this here, bumping up this thread from last year, just to show a small secretarial error?
You people make me sick.

A search of this thread didn't turn up SOMA's match list from 2016 so here it is!

Attachments

• 2016 Match Results - Specialties - Institutions.pdf
    101.1 KB · Views: 193

Would also be nice to see if they are categorical or preliminary spots.