Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Were they at least carrying their laundry and first-generation college students? Otherwise, sad, sad, sad.

Members don't see this ad.

Most heinous.

tv_law_order_special_victims_unit04-saved-by-the-bell-law-order-svu-and-more-in-the-best-t-v-spin-offs-to-happen.jpeg

In the criminal justice system, sexually based offenses are considered especially heinous. In New York City, the dedicated detectives who investigate these vicious felonies are members of an elite squad known as the Special Victims Unit. These are their stories.

So... its getting cold, how should we dress for really cold weather?

Members don't see this ad :)
(a) J Crew has near constant sales (the coat I linked is currently 25% off)

(b) Those are just style examples; you can find similar for less elsewhere

(c) A nice wool coat will last a long long time. Up front investment that pays off over time

I think I'll just freeze for now. Thanks for the info though.

I'm going to recommend against wearing school colors in a shirt/tie combo.
Colors that are perfectly appropriate on a field of combat are almost always garish. They can also appear pandering in a professional school interview. If you feel compelled to do this, at least wear the lighter color as the shirt!
I'm sure that there are a few schools that have team colors that are perfectly fine to wear in a shirt and tie. If so, I wouldn't have noticed, though!

Reactions: 1 user
Also don't wear "official" school ties as they are nearly unanimously hideous.
*Obvious exception for Vineyard Vines collegiate ties, but I still wouldn't wear those to an interview
I must agree, though at this point, a merely hideous tie would be a far better alternative to what has been showing up on interview day!

Reactions: 1 users
I wore the school colors on a tie for a recent interview, dean called me out on it and I felt odd. I'm currently waiting on the verdict. lol

On another note, I've realized I gave too much thought to my interview attire. I'm non-trad and into fashion trends and noticed that my male cohorts often wear whatever suit/shoes they have on had. In retrospect, I feel like their approach is the way to go-- since it saves $$. Also, no one seems to care whether an applicant's suit is black, charcoal, navy, or has pinstripes or not. I feel as if it's irrelevant most of the time.

I can't imagine faculty giving bad evaluations for a black pinstripe suit.

So I have my first interview next Wednesday and I am curious if people think I should wear all 3 pieces of my suit or leave out the vest. Does it matter? I like the way I look with the vest but want to make sure I am doing everything correctly.

Thanks for the advice (btw-I know I am being crazy and that this matters very little)

EDIT:just went through the forum and saw unequivocally the answer is NO to the vest

Dark Grey suit, White shirt, Yellow Tie (Blonde Male)

Last edited:
Most people on here would suggest no vest, it is too formal.

I'd love to buy something like this (hard to get close-up picture on the fabric). Please let me know if any of you come across something similar (please don't judge my choice of image lol...this is the only image I could find that shows what I'm looking for):

http://thegloss.com/files/2009/01/27344pcn-gossip01-thumb.jpg
http://images.buddytv.com/btv_2_500321546_1_590_-1_0_/gossip-girl--how-to-.jpg

Double breasted overcoats
Check should have peak lapels. Check suit supply for lots of options.

Members don't see this ad :)
First interview tomorrow. Made a few bold ish choices. Green tie with white pin dots and burgundy shoes.

Whaddupppp!

First interview tomorrow. Made a few bold ish choices. Green tie with white pin dots and burgundy shoes.

Whaddupppp!

honestly, after some of the things I've witnessed so far this interview season, i think you're fine. I've seen some truly shameful outfits, and I doubt all these people get rejected because of them. I'm starting to think the whole topic of "omg what should I wear" is completely blown out of proportion.

I'm not worried about it. Pindots are formal.

I disagree about the worry too much about it bit. Some of the stuff asked here was basic. People should learn how things should fit.

Learning to dress like a grown up is important.

I'm not worried about it. Pindots are formal.

I disagree about the worry too much about it bit. Some of the stuff asked here was basic. People should learn how things should fit.

Learning to dress like a grown up is important.

and I agree, but my point was that after gauging how many interviewers wear poorly fitting suits/non-matching suits/many of the things we call "no-nos", it can't possibly be a dealbreaker as previously suspected or there'd be no one in medical school.

is it important to learn and do the best you can? absolutely. will many of these things be any kind of serious detriment to your application? maybe not as much as I was previously lead to believe. that's all

Last edited:
and I agree, but my point was that after gauging how many interviewers wear poorly fitting suits/non-matching suits/many of the things we call "no-nos", it can't possibly be a dealbreaker as previously suspected or there'd be no one in medical school.

who said anything about a deal breaker? Looking sharp can only help you. Looking like a hobo can only hurt you. That doesn't mean it's the only determining factor.

who said anything about a deal breaker? Looking sharp can only help you. Looking like a hobo can only hurt you. That doesn't mean it's the only determining factor.

again, no one is saying that. The extremes you mentioned obviously cannot be disagreed with. all I'm saying is that many of the smaller details that many people post worrying about (this tie color vs that tie color, this black shoe style vs that black shoe style, etc.) will probably have no impact on them overall.

haha perhaps my initial posts were poorly worded, let me clarify. it is extremely important to dress as professionally as possible (obviously), and nothing but great advice has been given in here by the key contributors, but many of the smaller attire details many people worry about in here probably aren't as vital as I originally thought.

this idea was mostly meant to be a joke about some of the atrocious things I have witnessed along the way, and it got made into something bigger haha. sorry for the confusion, thank you all for your contributions, that is all, carry on, good day sir.

I am going out on a limb here: bad shoes are the most common area of sartorial failure for males (pun intended).
We haven't really vetoed anyone based on bad shoes alone because they are so common (as alluded to by @DoctorLacrosse).
Nevertheless, it is still important to show that you know what is expected of you in this admittedly high stakes situation.

Reactions: 5 users
I am going out on a limb here: bad shoes are the most common area of sartorial failure for males (pun intended).

I am ashamed to say it took me a long time to see the pun here.

I have seen a variety of shoes on the interview trail, but nothing wildly inappropriate like sandals or running shoes. Is there anything that you think applicants might think is acceptable, but isn't?

I have seen a variety of shoes on the interview trail, but nothing wildly inappropriate like sandals or running shoes. Is there anything that you think applicants might think is acceptable, but isn't?
Rubber soles, suede, beige, scuff...

Reactions: 2 users

Rubber soles, suede, beige, scuff...

at one of my interviews this week I saw an applicant in navy pants, a beige sport coat, and brown leather boat shoes. true story...

Reactions: 3 users
Rubber soles are fine unless they're like hiking boot esque.

We have a number of medical students who come to clinic in boat shoes.

I can't handle it.

I love me some boat shoes...when I'm bumming around on the weekend.

hahaha agreed. don't get me wrong, I own 5 pairs, but there's a time and a place.

I wore the school colors on a tie for a recent interview, dean called me out on it and I felt odd. I'm currently waiting on the verdict. lol

On another note, I've realized I gave too much thought to my interview attire. I'm non-trad and into fashion trends and noticed that my male cohorts often wear whatever suit/shoes they have on had. In retrospect, I feel like their approach is the way to go-- since it saves $$. Also, no one seems to care whether an applicant's suit is black, charcoal, navy, or has pinstripes or not. I feel as if it's irrelevant most of the time.

I can't imagine faculty giving bad evaluations for a black pinstripe suit.

You're not getting it. We've mentioned the fact that this doesn't matter about a hojillion times.

This thread is for finer points and for the totally clueless, the basics.

No ever said a faculty member would refuse to rank you/admit you because you failed to follow our advice and wore a black pinstripe, double breasted suit with square toed shoes.

No one is suggesting you go broke purchasing interview attire either.

But you would be gravely mistaken to think that we don't notice what you're wearing and that in some cases, it can be quite off putting to see the glaring fashion mistakes.

Reactions: 4 users
So many people that buttoned all jacket buttons and didn't take off the basting on their jacket vents.

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be though!

So I think I read on this thread somewhere that you should be clean shaved. I have had a beard forever, I am a non-trad (27 years old), and I don't feel particularly comfortable being clean shaven because I think it has been 8-10 years since I was clean shaven. I have always had nicely trimmed short full beard exactly like this picture. Is this OK?

Ml8GE+

...a black pinstripe, double breasted suit with square toed shoes.

:barf: :barf: :barf:

I think possession of common sense and rudimentary knowledge of the culture in which one lives should be prerequisite for admission to any form of professional school. Then my eyes would never have to suffer beholding what you have described lol

So many people that buttoned all jacket buttons...

The percentage of young men in our culture that think you are supposed to button all the buttons on your suit jacket never ceases to amaze me...

It is because nobody has ever told them I guess...if you've never really had to wear a suit and nobody ever told you the rules then I guess you're kinda on your own...still a Google search wouldn't kill you...

Reactions: 2 users
You're not getting it. We've mentioned the fact that this doesn't matter about a hojillion times.

This thread is for finer points and for the totally clueless, the basics.

No ever said a faculty member would refuse to rank you/admit you because you failed to follow our advice and wore a black pinstripe, double breasted suit with square toed shoes.

No one is suggesting you go broke purchasing interview attire either.

But you would be gravely mistaken to think that we don't notice what you're wearing and that in some cases, it can be quite off putting to see the glaring fashion mistakes.

Got it. I thought that I was the only one noticing the fashion mistakes. I guess I expected someone to stop the boat shoe wearers before they even made it onto campus for their interviews but it never happens. lol

So I think I read on this thread somewhere that you should be clean shaved. I have had a beard forever, I am a non-trad (27 years old), and I don't feel particularly comfortable being clean shaven because I think it has been 8-10 years since I was clean shaven. I have always had nicely trimmed short full beard exactly like this picture. Is this OK?

Ml8GE+
Shave. It is always the preferred option unless you have a medical contraindication or religious objection.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Is a dark blue pinstripe suit (really fine pinstripes) with a light blue shirt and striped blue/grey tie okay? Of course, got the black oxfords on deck.

Is a dark blue pinstripe suit (really fine pinstripes) with a light blue shirt and striped blue/grey tie okay? Of course, got the black oxfords on deck.

That sounds good. Pretty standard, although if you haven't bought the suit yet I'd say opt out of the pinstripes...but if it's a suit you already have and it's in good shape then it's not worth coughing up bucks for a new one.

That sounds good. Pretty standard, although if you haven't bought the suit yet I'd say opt out of the pinstripes...but if it's a suit you already have and it's in good shape then it's not worth coughing up bucks for a new one.
Thanks! It's the only decent suit I have so it's already bought haha.

So many people that buttoned all jacket buttons and didn't take off the basting on their jacket vents.

Haha, yeah, you don't want to be that candidate with the basted vents sitting beside a physician....who takes pity on you and so removes the venting himself while you wear the jacket. It makes a memorable impression, though.

Haha, yeah, you don't want to be that candidate with the basted vents sitting beside a physician....who takes pity on you and so removes the venting himself while you wear the jacket. It makes a memorable impression, though.

haha I remember being in middle school picking up a suit and asking the tailor, "hey, am I supposed to leave these white threads on the back flaps? it looks off"... that's coming from a middle school kid. the fact that grown medical applicants can't figure it out is weird.

I have a beard and kept it for interviews, however that's scruff not a beard. Either grow it out and get a real beard or shave it.

Reactions: 4 users
I have a beard and kept it for interviews, however that's scruff not a beard. Either grow it out and get a real beard or shave it.
Same, kept the beard for the interviews. Just trimmed it a bit.

when you sit down for interviews (MMI and traditional), should guys unbutton their suit jackets or keep them buttoned?

when you sit down for interviews (MMI and traditional), should guys unbutton their suit jackets or keep them buttoned?

Unbutton. Please do not be that dorky looking dude with the wadded up, bunched up suit all day because he leaves it buttoned.

You don't need to button it when you stand either. Having a shirt unbuttoned all day is perfectly acceptable. You can button it when you go to walk into the room for the interview if you feel like it, but if its an MMI format don't feel like you have to button and unbutton your suit every freakin' time you stand up.

Always unbutton your jacket when you sit down. And do not button all the buttons. lol

For two button, only the top button is ever buttoned. For three button jackets, either the middle button or the top and middle button should be buttoned when standing.

When seated, unbutton the jacket.