Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I'm considering getting this maroon grenadine tie for interviews, but think maybe it's a little bright. I would prefer something closer to a true burgundy to go with my charcoal suit and light blue shirt. Any thoughts?

$_57.JPG

Members don't see this ad.

How long should slacks be? I bought a pair and when I'm standing, they reach my ankle and barely touch the top of my shoe, but if I sit, the bottom of the pants rise to 3 inches from my ankle. It feels too short. Is this too short?

Sounds like little or no break. It's fine.

Saw someone at an interview wearing a bright turquoise shirt, plaid tie, and grey trousers without a jacket. Ouch.

Ouch is right.

So I'm considering getting this maroon grenadine tie for interviews, but think maybe it's a little bright. I would prefer something closer to a true burgundy to go with my charcoal suit and light blue shirt. Any thoughts?

$_57.JPG

It's probably the lighting doing that. Should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How long should slacks be? I bought a pair and when I'm standing, they reach my ankle and barely touch the top of my shoe, but if I sit, the bottom of the pants rise to 3 inches from my ankle. It feels too short. Is this too short?

Break is a matter of personal preference, there are no hard-and-fast rules on this, so you're fine. Here's a good illustration:

http://www.primermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/PantsFit/PantsFit_Breaks.jpg

I prefer a medium break but any of the options are fine.

How do you all feel about non-solid shirt color? I have a blue/white shirt with a nice check pattern I was thinking about to go with a charcoal suit... the checks are so small, it looks like plain blue from even 10 feet away, but you can notice a little better up close. Not in your face, but a little less boring?

I never knew so many people don't know how to tie a tie. I've seen some funny looking knots.

Anyone wear their suits and shirts without undershirts? I'm always burning up... I have an interview tomorrow and I might go for it because I don't really sweat much.

Anyone wear their suits and shirts without undershirts? I'm always burning up... I have an interview tomorrow and I might go for it because I don't really sweat much.
are you wearing a white shirt? if so, be careful with dark/excessive chest hair or dark nipples (yes i'm sort of serious lol). don't want them to be fixated on dark hair or nipples showing through a white shirt

are you wearing a white shirt? if so, be careful with dark/excessive chest hair or dark nipples (yes i'm sort of serious lol). don't want them to be fixated on dark hair or nipples showing through a white shirt

I don't think it will be a problem! The idea is that if I'm not hot (by not wearing the undershirt), I won't ever have to take off my suit jacket anyway. But even if I did have to, I think I would be fine only having my white dress shirt on (hopefully). I will check in a mirror before I go tomorrow though.

I don't think it will be a problem! The idea is that if I'm not hot (by not wearing the undershirt), I won't ever have to take off my suit jacket anyway. But even if I did have to, I think I would be fine only having my white dress shirt on (hopefully). I will check in a mirror before I go tomorrow though.

On that note, how does everyone feel about wearing the jacket vs. not upon entering the interview room? Is it appropriate to take it off, if you want to? Is it appropriate to keep it on the whole time? If they offer a coat rack, should you put your coat on it?

Might be nit-picky, but I certainly don't want to start off on a bad foot.

Members don't see this ad :)

You should always wear an undershirt just in case you do sweat. I would advise against going without an undershirt because you really don't to get sweat soaking your dress shirt. I recommend light gray undershirts made from light fabric. Gray won't show through a white shirt, but a white undershirt will.

On that note, how does everyone feel about wearing the jacket vs. not upon entering the interview room? Is it appropriate to take it off, if you want to? Is it appropriate to keep it on the whole time? If they offer a coat rack, should you put your coat on it?

Keep your jacket on. You can unbutton it when you sit down, but if you take it off and put it on the back of your chair, it looks really unprofessional.

EDIT - The only coat you should hang on a coat rack is a top coat if you're interviewing when it's cold outside. A suit jacket should only be taken off in the most causal of environments, like when you're working in your own office. Otherwise, you need to keep it on.

Reactions: 2 users

I always wear an undershirt. I don't want to look like Steve Ballmer during his developers chant.

Sage advice. Many med school hopefuls have been sunk by excessively hyperpigmented nipples.

Which jacket? The suit jacket or an actual winter coat?

Walking into your interview room with your suit jacket slung over your shoulder is a great way to not be taken seriously. As a general rule: the suit jacket should stay on. Just think of taking it off as basically stating: "I hate dressing professionally so much that I can't do it for more than 2 hours in a day." Unless your interview takes place outdoors in Death Valley, leave it on.

Which jacket? The suit jacket or an actual winter coat?

Walking into your interview room with your suit jacket slung over your shoulder is a great way to not be taken seriously. As a general rule: the suit jacket should stay on. Just think of taking it off as basically stating: "I hate dressing professionally so much that I can't do it for more than 2 hours in a day." Unless your interview takes place outdoors in Death Valley, leave it on.

:\ i was just asking

Keep your jacket on. You can unbutton it when you sit down, but if you take it off and put it on the back of your chair, it looks really unprofessional.

EDIT - The only coat you should hang on a coat rack is a top coat if you're interviewing when it's cold outside. A suit jacket should only be taken off in the most causal of environments, like when you're working in your own office. Otherwise, you need to keep it on.
You're even supposed to unbutton it to sit down for the sake of the jacket.

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile

You're even supposed to unbutton it to sit down for the sake of the jacket.

Sent from my neural implant using SDN Mobile

So many people don't know you're supposed to unbutton the jacket when you sit down. At the interviews I've been on so far, I've seen about a third of the other candidates leave their jackets buttoned when sitting. Also seen a small handful of guys who buttoned all their jacket buttons. And lots of really funky tie knots.

Makes me wonder if this is the first time they've ever had to wear a suit.

Do you guys have any tips for keeping the suit wrinkle free either during the flight or de-wrinkling it post-flight?

I don't want to buy a suit bag because I hear they don't really do much to keep wrinkles away.

Can anyone recommend any cheap, high portable steamers? Or other ways to de-wrinkle suits the night before interviews??

separate question...if I have dark grey suit (charcoal) what is the best type of tie to wear with it? color? etc..

to be more specific...charcoal suit, black shoes and belt, white shirt....what type of tie...???

Do you guys have any tips for keeping the suit wrinkle free either during the flight or de-wrinkling it post-flight?

I don't want to buy a suit bag because I hear they don't really do much to keep wrinkles away.

Can anyone recommend any cheap, high portable steamers? Or other ways to de-wrinkle suits the night before interviews??
Hotel shower cranked up to 1000 degrees, no fan, suit on shower rod and door closed. It should steam nicely.

Reactions: 3 users

This has been shared before, but:

Reactions: 1 users
This is interview appropriate.

Might skip the pocket square.

Use a suit bag. It protects the suit. Make sure not to crumple it though. Folding it in half is fine. The shower stream trick works, but you shouldn't need to leave it in there for long I'd do it the night before so the suit can air out a hair.

It doesn't take long honestly.

Learn how to fold the suit jacket (hint: inside out - http://www.blacklapel.com/thecompas...ist-how-to-fold-a-suit-jacket-when-traveling/). Then do the shower trick. I usually leave it on the bathroom door not the shower rod due to paranoid fears of the suit falling into the shower lol.

I bought a rolling suit bag when Tumi was having a big sale. It has been amazing. But still kind of pricey despite the sale.

I did exactly that before I wore the suit in the picture above. Bathroom door worked perfectly. I have traveled prior to giving a talk at a conference. The first thing I did when I got to the hotel was take the suit out of the bag and hang it up. Took it and hung just the jacket behind the shower door when I went in for a shower. Left it in there for a bit after I was done and it was perfect.

It had no wrinkles after being in the suit bag, but I had to stuff the bag into my suitcase and that wrinkled it a bit. It'll come out in the shower again I'm sure.

charcoal suit, white shirt, purple tie? image is attached below

opinions on wearing vests?

Attachments

• IMG_7703.png
    IMG_7703.png
    508.6 KB · Views: 89
No comment about the purple tie (which I happen to love)? ;)
I've been beaten down over time, at least with regard to medical school applicants. I had 3 purple ties in one day this week.
I don't let my students apply for residency with one, though!

I draw the line at a purple leather tie...

Again, the purpose of interview dress is to be 'proper' and let your personality shine through instead of drawing attention to the clothes. A 3 piece suit draws attention. You'll be '3 piece suit guy' come interview day. That's not how you want them to remember you.

That's why I don't advocate loud ties for interviews (even though I like purple ones). They take attention away from YOU!

So what do I have to BRING to an interview? My CV? My AMCAS app? Should I go to staples and buy a binder or something? (btw I'm male)

So I want to take some kind of portfolio/folder/briefcase to put my notes in, as well as whatever brochures and papers I might get at the interview. Or is something like this a no-go?

I'm thinking either this very compact black leather briefcase I have (something like this, but a little more elegant):
ring-binder-portfolio-briefcase-699.gif

The other option would be my choir folder, which is more like a typical portfolio, but has the strap to hold it open and all that good stuff:

folder_black2.jpg

Any advice? :)

So I want to take some kind of portfolio/folder/briefcase to put my notes in, as well as whatever brochures and papers I might get at the interview. Or is something like this a no-go?

I'm thinking either this very compact black leather briefcase I have (something like this, but a little more elegant):

The other option would be my choir folder, which is more like a typical portfolio, but has the strap to hold it open and all that good stuff:

Any advice? :)

The portfolio is ubiquitous and completely unnecessary. Either of those will fit in fine, but again...unnecessary.

i have been kind of wondering the same thing. if they give me a bunch of info in paper form on the school, what do i do with it?
8e735666f19a6ce54ab470036f989cdb23bede7906d367d8f1b0912d11752490.jpg

srsly tho

i have been kind of wondering the same thing. if they give me a bunch of info in paper form on the school, what do i do with it?
8e735666f19a6ce54ab470036f989cdb23bede7906d367d8f1b0912d11752490.jpg

srsly tho

They'll give you a folder. You don't really need to bring anything, it's just something else to lug around.