Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
your sarcasm detector is broken

:bang:

Well I feel ridiculous but at least I now realize you aren't completely out of your mind lol

Members don't see this ad.

For two button, only the top button is ever buttoned. For three button jackets, either the middle button or the top and middle button should be buttoned when standing.

When seated, unbutton the jacket.

It's amazing how many young men make it well into adulthood without ever having been told this

Members don't see this ad :)
with a blueish black suit, what kind of belt fits well? should the buckle be like a normal steel buckle (http://cdn.wrangler.com/WranglerCatalogAssetStore/images/catalog/style/BR28651/BR28651_1_lg.jpg) , or more like a rectangle (http://galfleathercare.com/wp-conte...Belts-OBLT-01-Black-MRP-Rs-920-1283775990.jpg)

also, what do people recommend wearing over a suit when interviewing in a cold place? would a peacoat suffice? should it be a fitting peacoat or more of a boxy peacoat/overcoat? or would it be fine to wear just like one of those puffy northfaces (not as stylish?) thanks!

Just bought a nice warm wool overcoat (75% off sale!!!) for cold weather interviews. However, I don't really know what to do with it when I'm indoors as I hail from a land of warm weather. Do I leave it at the admissions office or something?

Just bought a nice warm wool overcoat (75% off sale!!!) for cold weather interviews. However, I don't really know what to do with it when I'm indoors as I hail from a land of warm weather. Do I leave it at the admissions office or something?

Most places have coat hangers. Otherwise you can drape out over your forearm and put it behind your chair during an interview.

Reactions: 1 user
burlington coat factory! Usually pretty hit and miss for me but I lucked out this time

Members don't see this ad :)
dont buy anything indochino, the quality is crap, overall.
Thanks for the heads up. Any recommendations in regards to MTM? I can't afford a thousand dollar bespoke suit. MTM for 400-500 dollars seems like a decent deal.

I wrote about this a while ago...

Made to Measure is a big fad right now, that preys on the assumption that custom = better.

The reality is for most average sized individuals, they can get as good a fit with an off the rack suit and some minor alterations by a decent tailor.

All Made to Measure means is that they take an existing pattern/cut and size it to your particular requirements. It's only really useful for people with really disproportionate measurements (people with huge discrepancies in shoulder to waist ratio, or tall people with extremely long arms that can't fit into even a L cut). It doesn't by any means guarantee a higher quality construction suit, or a "handmade" suit.

Definitely agree. You don't need a $3000 bespoke suit to look presentable for an interview.

Yeah, bespoke and MTM have as much in common as a big mac and ice cream. They're both things you can eat, but ice cream is so much more satisfying.

Seriously, most people will go their entire life without touching anything truly bespoke. I've handled some really nice stuff (isaia, BB golden fleece, corneliani, etc) and even that doesn't compare to true bespoke.

That said, @southernIM is right. An OTR suit with a few alterations is more than adequate for most people. I really don't think most people need to bother with MTM, but it makes more sense if you want a specific fabric or something. That's not really necessary for interview suits.

That said, I thrifted an Astor and Black sportcoat recently that was MTM for someone else that is pretty much my body doppleganger. I almost want to find them on facebook and see if they want to give me more of their clothes!

Bespoke and MTM are in far different strata in terms of quality and fit. But because they both fall under this blanket umbrella of a so-called custom suit...the terms often get conflated.

True...I didn't realize the definition you were using.

Nevertheless, if you buy a $3000 bespoke suit for a med school interview you are pretty stupid.

small question, but what kind of watch would fit a navy/charcoal suit? i have a black-faced silver watch and a white/pearl-faced silver watch that are options. which one fits better, thanks!

also, what kind of belts would fit this same suit? like a buckle belt, or one with the solid rectangle? can someone post an image of a belt that would go well with this kind of suit?

Last edited:
For Charles Tyrwhitt dress shirts:

I assume "classic collar" (longer "tails") is better than the wide collar (the "tails" are shorter) right?

Also, it better to buy "non-iron" or the "100% cotton" shirts?

Lastly, "button cuff" is preferable to "French cuff for cufflinks" I assume?

For Charles Tyrwhitt dress shirts:

I assume "classic collar" (longer "tails") is better than the wide collar (the "tails" are shorter) right?

Also, it better to buy "non-iron" or the "100% cotton" shirts?

Lastly, "button cuff" is preferable to "French cuff for cufflinks" I assume?
I assume you're asking about the difference between a straight and a spread collar. The straight color does indeed have longer "tails" and is more commonly found in dress shirts. The choice will depend on what you look better in as the collar provides a frame for the face.If you have around face or are overweight you might find the spread collar is unflattering.

Regular button cuffs are the best choice for this occasion as French cuffs and cufflinks can seem a bit flashy.

Lastly while I love 100% cotton, It is not practical for someone who is traveling and probably doesn't have a lot of experience ironing.

I have a beard and kept it for interviews, however that's scruff not a beard. Either grow it out and get a real beard or shave it.

I kept my beard or scruff whatever you want to call it based on advice I read from LizzyM and after seeing the way the fellow interviewers were dressed, I think my facial hair was the least of my worries.

Probably goes both ways -- medical faculty aren't always known for their fashion savvy.

Lol. Well two of these guys didn't believe in a tailor it seems. One of the guys needed about 6 inches or so cut off their sleeves, it extended beyond his fingers. So funny.

Lastly while I love 100% cotton, It is not practical for someone who is traveling and probably doesn't have a lot of experience ironing.

True, but no matter what fabric you're shirt is made out of, you should iron it before you go to an interview. Unless you've had it professionally cleaned, I can almost guarantee you it needs it.

Eh, just hang the shirt under the suit jacket in the bag when you travel. Works fine.

My shirt was professionally cleaned and pressed for 4 bucks, made it through a garment bag just fine. That included folding up the garment bag while walking and only unfolding it while waiting to board, on the plane, and once I got my rental car. Couldn't tell anything ever happened.

Ask business professionals where they clean their shirts. I like medium starch and on hangers.

I honestly have no idea how badly you're folding your shirts or storing your garment bags if this is even an issue. I took like 2-3 shirts with me to a conference: flew, stayed at a hotel, etc.

I took the shirt and suit jacket into the bathroom and hung them while I showered so they steamed a bit and I had zero issues. When you're wearing a jacket, you can barely see the shirt anyway, so you have to really muck it up to cause an issue.

Shirts look better in all cases if they've been ironed. How have all these 22+ year old men managed to never learn how to iron a shirt? If you never had anyone teach you, at least watch a youtube video or something...

Shirts look better in all cases if they've been ironed. How have all these 22+ year old men managed to never learn how to iron a shirt? If you never had anyone teach you, at least watch a youtube video or something...

Non-iron shirts get shiny if they're ironed too much, fyi.

I honestly don't know what you're talking about as I've NEVER had an issue and I've never ironed a shirt...

Yeah I was going to say this - non-iron shirts get a weird sheen to them and wear out too fast if you iron them a lot.

If my shirt is visibly wrinkled or creased I will certainly iron it. But like @ridethecliche I've really never had a problem with this.

Only if you buy BB non iron dress shirts are these things not a problem.

OTHERWISE....you're on your own

(Why don't people listen to us more?! ><)

I like CT shirts too.

Pretty cheap on eBay at about 25 a shirt.

I'm way too poor for this nonsense. Going to look terrible when I start going for interviews unless I start saving now or something.

Do you folks get it tailored or something, seems to fit like a glove from the photos I've seen. . . I've never worn dress clothes that don't look big or loose on me.

Last edited:
slim fit is definitely a no go with me haha. too many squatsss

If you have time start hunting at thrift and consignment stores.

The majority of my wardrobe congress from there and eBay.

i really should start doing this, especially considering my only acceptance so far is formal dress required :\

The issue is that you know what you're looking for and what looks good on you.

If what I see walking through my door and posted here reflects the average students fashion knowledge, I wouldn't be so sure that they'll come away with anything remotely in style or flattering.

Reactions: 1 users
i really should start doing this, especially considering my only acceptance so far is formal dress required :\

Not that hard to do imho. Depending on where you live, if you know your measurement and how things should fit, you should be able to put together a pretty good wardrobe in a period of a few months for not that much money.

Things to start with:

-Couple of white/light blue dress shirts.
-Grey chinos and wool pants
-Navy blazer
-Ties (Super easy at thrifts)

Honestly, a blazer counts as formal in most settings. You can wear one every day. I'd pick up a few different weights (i.e. cotton/linen for summer, wool for fall/winter, etc.) and call it a day.

Not that hard to do imho. Depending on where you live, if you know your measurement and how things should fit, you should be able to put together a pretty good wardrobe in a period of a few months for not that much money.

Things to start with:

-Couple of white/light blue dress shirts.
-Grey chinos and wool pants
-Navy blazer
-Ties (Super easy at thrifts)

Honestly, a blazer counts as formal in most settings. You can wear one every day. I'd pick up a few different weights (i.e. cotton/linen for summer, wool for fall/winter, etc.) and call it a day.

as far as what i could read in the student handbook at my acceptance thus far (not committed yet.. waiting to hear), it just says "business casual" and "collared shirt"... so polo? would that count? don't want to make this a question i ask over email to the school because it seems so silly lol.

if i could wear polos and slacks everyday i'd be more than content. if i have to wear a shirt and tie everyday, i'll obviously deal... but i would much prefer a polo