Men's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's not conservative at all. lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@gyngyn your posts are so amusing sometimes! Lol.

That stick up hair is too much! Even in California.

Haha okay point taken although mine isn't quite as spikey as the guy in the picture. Guess I'll have to do something else. Thanks for the heads up.

Members don't see this ad :)
those of you interviewing up north, what are your plans? should i wear a sweater under my coat or just wear a winter jacket? im from orlando so ive never had this issue

Winter jacket.

Sweater under coat has two issues
1. It looks slightly dressed down
2. (Much more important) Your cortisol levels and sympathetic tone are already going to be through the roof for the interview. Add the heat of a sweater to that and it is sweat city under that jacket.

thanks for the quick reply. yeah it would look to casual.

does the winter jacket have to be fancy? like a pea coat or something? i dont want to spend money on a fancy one to go with the suit just for that, unless it affects my first impression or anything like that. i was thinking of using my old north face but not sure

Every interview I ever went to either there was a coat rack in the corner or a pile of coats on a chair. Everyone just takes it off as soon as they walk in, and the secretary who is there greeting you won't care.

Ideally if you have one a wool overcoat would be the best. But if you're from Florida and this is just for a couple of interviews I wouldn't spend a bunch of money on a new coat you don't need.

great to know. i only have one more school im waiting to hear from in the north and the rest all are in warmer climates so i will just use my good ole north face! thanks

great to know. i only have one more school im waiting to hear from in the north and the rest all are in warmer climates so i will just use my good ole north face! thanks
Hate to break it to you but....north face is NOT a winter coat..

Reactions: 2 users
Can anybody update me or link me to some good medical school interview etiquette?

For small things like unbuttoning your suit as you sit down. I have no idea what is proper and what's not.

Wanted to bump this. Menswharehouse is having a huge sale going on right now. Just got a a new suit for 50% off. Saved around $300

So good time to get your stuff to prepare for premed committee interviews and upcoming cycle

Wanted to bump this. Menswharehouse is having a huge sale going on right now. Just got a a new suit for 50% off. Saved around $300

Sounds like an ordinary day at MW, i.e. that's their schtick and their prices are pretty made up anyway.

Sounds like an ordinary day at MW, i.e. that's their schtick and their prices are pretty made up anyway.

Eh. A sale is a sale to me. I told them my budget and what I needed. They didn't hassle me nor try to tack on anything extra. Made sure everything fit very well and was looking sharp. In and out pretty quick.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh. A sale is a sale to me. I told them my budget and what I needed. They didn't hassle me nor try to tack on anything extra. Made sure everything fit very well and was looking sharp. In and out pretty quick.

Saying they're having a sale is like saying the sun rises. They have a pretty much constant sale with inflated marked prices. It's a ruse.

Charles Tyrwhitt is good too. Also, Suit supply rocks, outside of their frat boy targeting adverts.

Pants, sleeve, way too long. Wtf is going on with the socks?

Shoes are meh.

Shirt needs a better collar.

Dude, the white hell on you sock. Pants too long, there should only be a single break.

Dude, the white hell on you sock. Pants too long, there should only be a single break.
That photo is only showing the shoe lol, and I can take another shot, the pants are tailored correctly when I have the right belt on, although I could probably get them taken up slightly.

Pants, sleeve, way too long. Wtf is going on with the socks?

Shoes are meh.

Shirt needs a better collar.
True but for a self-described "fashion dunce", what he's got is not too bad for a start. He'll look better than 50% of the other applicants already.

Its hard to tell but it appears in the second photo that the trousers have a medium break which is fine for the occasion.

I agree that the sock needs to be a solid or at least without the white heel.

Perhaps collar stays will fix that issue?

Reactions: 1 users
What about that lapel?

The peak lapels were the least offensive thing in that picture. I personally wouldn't wear them in an interview, but then again I got accepted to one of my top choices in a pinstripe suit, which I later realized had a few small moth holes.

So...

That photo is only showing the shoe lol, and I can take another shot, the pants are tailored correctly when I have the right belt on, although I could probably get them taken up slightly.

Ah, you're right, they look better in the second photo. Looks like a traditional medium break. It's a good start. Like what others have said, better than most. lol

Here are some pictures I took yesterday while shopping (guided by a more fashion conscious female friend of mine) for the finishing touches (couple of shirts and ties, and a belt) on the first suit I have ever owned! Took me almost a year to get the whole thing in proper order because I am a total fashion dunce. What do you guys think?

C0HFyd1.jpg

wprfEGD.jpg

cuplaeq.jpg

haha don't be discouraged, you'll get it. some people around here have difficulty offering constructive criticism rather than destructive criticism, but they mean well ;)

Definitely get the pants (look better in the second pic so it's hard to tell) and sleeves taken up a bit, and you'll be okay. I'm not overly crazy about the collar, lapels or shoes but they'll do, nothing to worry about if funds are an issue. and definitely lose the white heel athletic socks and grab some dress socks. but most of all, don't take things to heart around here lol

Reactions: 3 users
Haha it's okay I'm not too discouraged, I really do appreciate the good advice, thanks everyone, I will hit up my local tailor.

What is everyone's opinion on the following suit pieces/accessories:

Tie: I plan to wear one that is 2.75" at its widest point. Is this too narrow? I have a slim frame and, with my current suit, it seems to look just right. Also, what's a good knot?

Tie bar: I feel this adds a bit of style, but would it be too much or perhaps inappropriate?

Vest: Same question as tie bar.

Socks: Are argyle patterned dress socks okay? The sock color matches the color of my pants and the diamond color matches the color of my dress shirt.

Cologne: To wear or not to wear?

Winter jacket: I know this was addressed above, but I wanted further clarification. Should I be wearing an overcoat or would a puffer jacket suffice? I feel the latter is just too casual.

Tie: I plan to wear one that is 2.75" at its widest point. Is this too narrow? I have a slim frame and, with my current suit, it seems to look just right. Also, what's a good knot?

Tie bar: I feel this adds a bit of style, but would it be too much or perhaps inappropriate?

Socks: Are argyle patterned dress socks okay? The sock color matches the color of my pants and the diamond color matches the color of my dress shirt.

Winter jacket: I know this was addressed above, but I wanted further clarification. Should I be wearing an overcoat or would a puffer jacket suffice? I feel the latter is just too casual.

Tie: 2.75" is fine if you have a slender build. But try not to be overly concerned with the width as long as it is proportionate to your lapels (just don't wear a skinny tie). Personally, I prefer a double four-in-hand.

Tie bar: Tie bars can be stylish, but I'd leave them at home for an interview.

Vest: Do not wear a vest to an interview. A three-piece suit is too much for an interview.

Socks: I don't think there's anything wrong with patterned socks, but I would stick with a more basic sock for an interview, IMO.

Cologne: it can be overpowering, so I'd say no.

Winter jacket: thankfully, I didn't have to deal with this. If it were me, I'd go with an actual overcoat/topcoat and not a puffy jacket.

Agree with above:

Tie: sounds fine
Tie bar: no
Vest: definitely no
Socks: ok as long as they really coordinate
Cologne: no
Coat: don't buy a new one for interviews alone but a topcoat is preferred if you already have one

Here are some pictures I took yesterday while shopping (guided by a more fashion conscious female friend of mine) for the finishing touches (couple of shirts and ties, and a belt) on the first suit I have ever owned! Took me almost a year to get the whole thing in proper order because I am a total fashion dunce. What do you guys think?

C0HFyd1.jpg

wprfEGD.jpg

cuplaeq.jpg

Most urgent things:
-Go to a good tailor. Listen to them.
-Hem the pants.
-Shorten the sleeves.
-Remember to wear dress pants just below your belly button. Dress pants are not meant to be worn below your hipbone like your regular pants.
-Those shoes are simply awful. New shoes.
-Get some metal collar stays for that shirt, or find a shirt with a better collar.
-Shave your mustache
-Get your eyebrows done
-Get a haircut

Less urgent:
That jacket makes you look a bit goofy. Better than most others, but goofy. I think it might just be too big on you. Size down one size next time you buy a jacket.

Tie: This is a fine width especially if you have a slim build. Just make sure that it matches the lapel of your suit jacket somewhat closely. If the tie is a good quality then I would do a half windsor, mind the tie dimple. If it's difficult to make it look good with your tie then four in hand works.

Tie bar: No

Vest: No

Socks: No, better to play it safe, argyle is tacky.

Cologne: Only if it's something that is very subtle, professional, and fits the season that you're in. Probably better to play it safe and not wear any.

Winter jacket: Top coat or overcoat if you have one. Peacoat will be fine. Just make sure that it's longer than your suit jacket.

Healthcare systems are usually fragrance free zones. DO NOT wear any fragrance of any kind. Some patients and staff have allergies, so this is the usual policy. Anyone wearing a fragrance will surely stick out, and not in a good way.

Last edited:
Winter jacket: won't really matter. If you have an overcoat, wear it. I wouldn't go out of my way to spend a couple hundred bucks on a wool coat if you're only needing it for these interviews.

Find one at a thrift store. I found mine for 20 bucks! I just needed to repair the lining a bit and it was solid!

Interview on Tuesday. I'm a sophomore, so it's my first. Couple last minute questions:

1. Slim tie too fashion forward? (It's a very restrained design)

2. Blue shirt too fashion forward? (Charcoal suit)

Getting a haircut tomorrow, probably going with a buzz and a well-trimmed beard.

Last minute interview questions:

1. It should be about the width of the jacket lapel
2. V light blues are good.

thanks for the quick response! and sorry I edited my post on you haha.

Interview on Tuesday. I'm a sophomore, so it's my first. Couple last minute questions:

Getting a haircut tomorrow, probably going with a buzz and a well-trimmed beard.

1. Depends on your suit lapels.

2. Dark/bright blue? No. Light/very light blue is fine, make sure to have a nice tie to match it though.

i never understood the deal with wearing conservative colours. light blue? yes, dark blue? no. :/

i never understood the deal with wearing conservative colours. light blue? yes, dark blue? no. :/
It's not so much "conservative" as pleasing to the eye. A light shirt has more contrast with a dark suit.
Dark shirt and dark suit is too monolithic and reads a bit "gigolo."

Reactions: 3 users

Overly slim ties are trendy and shouldn't be warn to an interview; however, as long as it's proportional to your lapels, you'll be okay.

As was already pointed out, a light blue shirt to contrast your charcoal suit would be preferred.

And just my personal opinion, but I cannot abide a beard. But if you're going to rock a beard, make sure it's well groomed.

Yeah idk I mean I've been growing this for a while and seeing as I'm not actually that enamored with this program (would probably turn it down if I got it) I actually felt I had more to lose by shaving it than not shaving it, lol. Plus as long as it's freshly trimmed, pretty short and clean looking I can't see how it's going to affect my interview at all. And just going off of social feedback I look better with the beard than without it.

A question for you fashion gurus:

I've seen some Thom Browne type-suits pictured with the tie tucked into the belt. And some not. Is this an essential with the tight-suit-coat look to prevent the tie poking out below the button, or elective, or is it not specific to any particular style? See below.
We had two applicants with this style in the current cycle. It had the effect of subtracting two MCAT points. Not a deal breaker but certainly "high maintenance."

Yeah idk I mean I've been growing this for a while and seeing as I'm not actually that enamored with this program (would probably turn it down if I got it) I actually felt I had more to lose by shaving it than not shaving it, lol. Plus as long as it's freshly trimmed, pretty short and clean looking I can't see how it's going to affect my interview at all. And just going off of social feedback I look better with the beard than without it.
In this context, none of this matters. Generally speaking, interview dress/grooming is best when it appeals to, or doesn't offend the broadest possible spectrum of evaluators.

A question for you fashion gurus:

I've seen some Thom Browne type-suits pictured with the tie tucked into the belt. And some not. Is this an essential with the tight-suit-coat look to prevent the tie poking out below the button, or elective, or is it not specific to any particular style? See below.

Euggh. I would personally never tuck my tie into anything else I was wearing.

To contribute to the thread, don't know if this has been said, but please don't wear colorful/kid patterned socks with your dress shoes and suit

I'm slightly older (26) and i interviewed with a well groomed beard the entire cycle. I think there might have been only one place where it caused an issue, but i doubt that was what caused it.