Midwestern, CCP (c/o 2017)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It shows nothing when you look at the accepted student checklist

Sent from my Nexus 4 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Do you guys know Midwestern rejects any student on their alternate list before? I am accepted into 2 other schools and I have to make my deposits by May 5th and May 10th. Somehow, I am still waiting for my portal to change but... well if they send me acceptance letter before May 5th I will be happy nut. Or else, I have to deposit for my seat at other school :( My interview was on 03/13 btw

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know Midwestern rejects any student on their alternate list before? I am accepted into 2 other schools and I have to make my deposits by May 5th and May 10th. Somehow, I am still waiting for my portal to change but... well if they send me acceptance letter before May 5th I will be happy nut. Or else, I have to deposit for my seat at other school :( My interview was on 03/13 btw

they probably won't get to you by then, I think they meet once a month and they already updated this end of month already.

Have you given them a call?

No I have not. But what should I inquire though when I call?

I've never heard or seen anyone get a rejection in my 2 years being here and monitoring SDN threads.

Give admissions a call and ask if you got accepted. Can't hurt right?
(630) 515-6171
[email protected]
-------

If you're still waitlisted, keep checking that portal every week! Good luck!

Accepted?
CLASS OF 2017 FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/groups/297967150321339/

WARNING: long but I hope this helps you get a current student's perspective. Of course this is just my opinion and how I feel might not represent my classmates. Other current students like "imclarkent", "docss26", and "DSS65" return into this thread too because they obviously care enough about Midwestern to help you guys out. Hopefully it shows how we're enjoying our experiences? :)

1. What do you like/dislike about the school?

What I like is that the professors have a very open door policy. Coming from a big university, it still surprises me how relaxed most of the professors are and how some of them make it a point to memorize the entire class' face/names by the 3rd lecture. I like the free parking at the school, its the first I've ever heard of free parking. I like how there is no need to purchase textbooks. I like how there is no dress code for general classes. I like how the student activities office really tries hard to bring fun activities to the students like theater broadway show trips, Chicago cubs games, in addition to helping student organizations set up their own events. What I most importantly like is the curriculum and grading. Unlike UIC which has a "sink or swim" type of mentality (completely hearsay though), MWU does not grade on a competitive curve but just a straight grading scale. It's straightforward and there's no guessing of where you stand.

What I dislike about the school is the lack of internet stability sometimes and the ridiculous IT glitches sometimes during lectures. During finals week last year, internet crashed 3 times. Sometimes the mic goes on in the wrong room or the clicker system crashed. Although I do hear they are increasing our internet bandwidth soon. What I dislike sometimes is the excessive amount of security in the university. If you lost your ID, you cannot get into any building. Security officers are everywhere, but they are very sweet and really just wander around. I dislike how small our library is so sometimes finding a place to study besides your room is a little difficult

2. Where you accepted elsewhere? Why did you choose MWU?

I was invited to an interview with Notre Dame of Maryland, Shenandoah, University of New England (UNE) in Maine, and MWU. I declined Notre Dame and Shanandoah, I attended UNE and MWU. I was accepted into UNE first with a $5,000 annual scholarship. I was waitlisted MWU. The reason I declined a $5,000 scholarship was because UNE was not yet accredited but I knew it would because of it's reputation as the only medical school in Maine. However, MWU was already established for 20 years. Chicago compared to Portland, Maine was a melting pot of cuisines and city-life. Portland, Maine was more of a small town and housing was off-campus.

3. In your opinion, is MWU a competitive school? I know that all pharmacy schools are competitive but it seems like everyone gets an interview here and a lot of people get accepted too. It almost seems like CCP hands out interviews like flyers and accepts anyone as long as they meet the minimum. Please don't get me wrong...I'm not a studious person myself. I'm just worried because CCP's tuition is so high and I am more about about quality than quantity.

I do believe MWU-CCP is pretty competitive. Every year they accept a class of 200 and more and more students are coming from California. I think a lot of Illinois students apply to both UIC and MWU and because they believe UIC is the better school, they withdrawal their acceptance to MWU. MWU recently got their accreditation re-visited and we were approved for the maximum renewal time which is 8 years. Apparently APCE believes MWU is doing the right thing.

I believe CCP accepts more well-rounded students and not necessarily focused on the high GPA students. I do honestly think they look at the essays, extracurriculars, and experiences. I didn't have the highest GPA but I believe my leadership experiences in undergrad along with work experience, volunteer experience, essays, and letter of recommendations helped a lot.

4. I see that MWU has a 99% retention rate but is this true? Do you know of anyone that has failed/dropped out of the program or had to repeat a year? The reason why I ask is because I noticed that most pharm schools are semester based or block schedule.

I want to say majority of my classmates have moved on together. It takes a lot to fail and repeat a course (thus stay back a year). The school allows an exam specific retest if it'll help you pass the course and move on. The ones that have stayed behind a year from my class… kinda deserved it. Honestly I don't know how they got into pharmacy school in the first place because they never went to class and always relied on the FB group to answer their questions. It was kind of really annoying. I had one student that stayed behind a year because of family issues, and he had to skip Spring Quarter. He's back now and we celebrated his return.

I know this doesn't encompass everything I feel about MWU but you know, to each person's their own needs and wants. I hope this gives you the info you needed though. Kind of important to decide where you want to spend your next 4 years. Thankfully my decision is fairly easy. I wanted a mall, food, and a cool city nearby. UNE was too secluded for my taste. Nearest IKEA was 2 hours away in Massachusetts. Costco was far too. Costco to MWU is like 2 blocks away. IKEA is 10 minutes away.

Different schools, different locations, different people, different needs

Best of luck on your decisions, but no matter where you go, it's what you make of the experience. Make the best of whatever situation you're in and then it doesn't matter where you are.

I've never heard or seen anyone get a rejection in my 2 years being here and monitoring SDN threads.

Give admissions a call and ask if you got accepted. Can't hurt right?
(630) 515-6171
[email protected]
-------

If you're still waitlisted, keep checking that portal every week! Good luck!

Accepted?
CLASS OF 2017 FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/groups/297967150321339/

Thanks jkong for your information! I definitely will give Kerry a call tomorrow for inquiry about my status

For those accepted, does anyone know how many tickets we get for the white coat ceremony?

For those accepted, does anyone know how many tickets we get for the white coat ceremony?

there isn't a set amount of tickets for each student. I asked the admin office about this last year, and I was told that there's no limit per student. but, when it came close to the event, they started to ask people to bring a maximum of 3 people, though they didn't really check at the event. just something to keep in mind, white ceremony consists of CCP, CCOM (med students), and CDMI (dental students).

WARNING: long but I hope this helps you get a current student's perspective. Of course this is just my opinion and how I feel might not represent my classmates. Other current students like "imclarkent", "docss26", and "DSS65" return into this thread too because they obviously care enough about Midwestern to help you guys out. Hopefully it shows how we're enjoying our experiences? :)

What I like is that the professors have a very open door policy. Coming from a big university, it still surprises me how relaxed most of the professors are and how some of them make it a point to memorize the entire class' face/names by the 3rd lecture. I like the free parking at the school, its the first I've ever heard of free parking. I like how there is no need to purchase textbooks. I like how there is no dress code for general classes. I like how the student activities office really tries hard to bring fun activities to the students like theater broadway show trips, Chicago cubs games, in addition to helping student organizations set up their own events. What I most importantly like is the curriculum and grading. Unlike UIC which has a "sink or swim" type of mentality (completely hearsay though), MWU does not grade on a competitive curve but just a straight grading scale. It's straightforward and there's no guessing of where you stand.

What I dislike about the school is the lack of internet stability sometimes and the ridiculous IT glitches sometimes during lectures. During finals week last year, internet crashed 3 times. Sometimes the mic goes on in the wrong room or the clicker system crashed. Although I do hear they are increasing our internet bandwidth soon. What I dislike sometimes is the excessive amount of security in the university. If you lost your ID, you cannot get into any building. Security officers are everywhere, but they are very sweet and really just wander around. I dislike how small our library is so sometimes finding a place to study besides your room is a little difficult

I was invited to an interview with Notre Dame of Maryland, Shenandoah, University of New England (UNE) in Maine, and MWU. I declined Notre Dame and Shanandoah, I attended UNE and MWU. I was accepted into UNE first with a $5,000 annual scholarship. I was waitlisted MWU. The reason I declined a $5,000 scholarship was because UNE was not yet accredited but I knew it would because of it's reputation as the only medical school in Maine. However, MWU was already established for 20 years. Chicago compared to Portland, Maine was a melting pot of cuisines and city-life. Portland, Maine was more of a small town and housing was off-campus.

I do believe MWU-CCP is pretty competitive. Every year they accept a class of 200 and more and more students are coming from California. I think a lot of Illinois students apply to both UIC and MWU and because they believe UIC is the better school, they withdrawal their acceptance to MWU. MWU recently got their accreditation re-visited and we were approved for the maximum renewal time which is 8 years. Apparently APCE believes MWU is doing the right thing.

I believe CCP accepts more well-rounded students and not necessarily focused on the high GPA students. I do honestly think they look at the essays, extracurriculars, and experiences. I didn't have the highest GPA but I believe my leadership experiences in undergrad along with work experience, volunteer experience, essays, and letter of recommendations helped a lot.

I want to say majority of my classmates have moved on together. It takes a lot to fail and repeat a course (thus stay back a year). The school allows an exam specific retest if it'll help you pass the course and move on. The ones that have stayed behind a year from my class… kinda deserved it. Honestly I don't know how they got into pharmacy school in the first place because they never went to class and always relied on the FB group to answer their questions. It was kind of really annoying. I had one student that stayed behind a year because of family issues, and he had to skip Spring Quarter. He's back now and we celebrated his return.

I know this doesn't encompass everything I feel about MWU but you know, to each person's their own needs and wants. I hope this gives you the info you needed though. Kind of important to decide where you want to spend your next 4 years. Thankfully my decision is fairly easy. I wanted a mall, food, and a cool city nearby. UNE was too secluded for my taste. Nearest IKEA was 2 hours away in Massachusetts. Costco was far too. Costco to MWU is like 2 blocks away. IKEA is 10 minutes away.

Different schools, different locations, different people, different needs

Best of luck on your decisions, but no matter where you go, it's what you make of the experience. Make the best of whatever situation you're in and then it doesn't matter where you are.

wow. what a helpful person you are. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I'm a female looking for a female roommate to live off campus for this upcoming year. If anyone is interested PM me! Thanks :)

Did anybody here interviewed on the 24th April

Do you guys have any idea how many students do they accept every year, how large is the class size at Midwestern U.?

Thanks!

Do you guys have any idea when will the admission committee meet this month?
I emailed Kerry too many times in the past 2 weeks with my questions. I would get help from you guys before I email her again!
The wait is killing!:(

Thanks!

Do you guys have any idea when will the admission committee meet this month?
I emailed Kerry too many times in the past 2 weeks with my questions. I would get help from you guys before I email her again!
The wait is killing!:(

You should call her, I called her and left a vmail...she got back to me within an hour...she is very efficient

sheesh I interviewed April 3 and still waiting to hear back

You should call her, I called her and left a vmail...she got back to me within an hour...she is very efficient

waiting to hear back? Are you on the alternate list too?
my interview was in early March

Haven't u heard from them at all after u interviewed.

Hey everyone. I will be giving my seat up soon. Got accepted to UIC. So those on wait list, good luck!

interviewed 4/5, received a letter that was dated 4/25 stating that I was placed on the alternate list..... what are my chances????

Last edited:
interviewed 4/25, was put on the alternate list..... what are my chances????

Really u interviewed 04/25? I interviewed 04/24 n we were told that was the last interview. Btw when did u hear bck from them. I haven't heard from them yet.

Has anyone who intetviewed 04/24 heard from the sch yet?

Really u interviewed 04/25? I interviewed 04/24 n we were told that was the last interview. Btw when did u hear bck from them. I haven't heard from them yet.

Im sorry I meant to say I interviewed 4/5, the alternate list letter I received in the mail was dated 4/25...

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the admissions committee will meet again.

Hey all,

I know this is a little pre-mature for next years matriculation, but can someone help and give me a little insight on getting into MWU-Chicago COP. I dont have a very high GPA, Im taking the PCAT in September and have about 12 years pharmacy experience. Hope someone can shed some light! Thank you!

Hey all,

I know this is a little pre-mature for next years matriculation, but can someone help and give me a little insight on getting into MWU-Chicago COP. I dont have a very high GPA, Im taking the PCAT in September and have about 12 years pharmacy experience. Hope someone can shed some light! Thank you!

The 12 year pharmacy experience will look great. Study hard for your PCAT and try to get a respectable score. I'd say as long as you have the minimum required GPA, you should have a fair chance to get in. Put in a lot of time on health related activities/leadership roles/volunteer experiences.

On another note, for those waiting, I have just declined my seat so good luck to all of you and I hope the best for you guys. :)

does anyone who is currently on the alternate list hear back from the admission yet?

Those who interviewed April 24. Has anyone heard something yet.

I interviewed 4/5 and was placed on the the alternate list. Received my acceptance email from kerry today.

Hi folks did the admission committee meet yet. Does anyone know.

Finally sending in my withdrawal. Seat just opened up.

Have any of the April 24th interviewers hear anything back yet?

Yes was interviewed on 24 had a letter today saying I was declined. Sad but what can I do. I know I did my best. Gud luck folks.

Hey all,

I graduated from MWU-CCP last year (ie. I've been out of your shoes for ~5 years), but it seems as though you should be fine for an acceptance at Midwestern. Many of my classmates had low GPA's but great pharmacy experience prior to pharmacy school, so you should be just fine if your LOR's and personal statement(s) are in order and you apply early (also, do your best on the PCAT :)). If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me. (I'll try to answer your questions to the best of my ability.)

any suggestions for wait listed students? I have been wait listed since April... I don't know if I should e-mail Kerry and don't know what I would say...

Does anyone know how the wait list process works???

Did anyone here get a scholarship from Midwestern? Do you know what criteria they look at to determine who gets scholarships?

Does anyone know how the wait list process works???

I heard that the admission committee meet once a month, usually the last week of the month, to review the recent interviews and pull someone off the alternate list. I also heard, they don't rank the alternate list but rather choose people from the alternate list through some process similar to lottery drawing, therefore, I guess if we continue submitting more documents such as transcripts, LORs... as they stated in the wait-list letter are helpless. I have been on the alternate list since early March and I am accepted to other school in Chicago and already accepted it as back-up.

I checked my portal twice a week on Mondays and Fridays with a hope that I would see some changes but got nothing. Week by week, I excitement and my hope ward off :( I will matriculate to the program at other school at the very early August. But I'm still hope they would somehow pull more people from the alternate list because I know many people declined their offers to Midwestern recently.

I also heard the committee meets once a month. I have been on the waitlist since April:( Keeping my fingers crossed, Goodluck everyone!