Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do most of you guys have a CV more than one page long?

Members don't see this ad.

Do most of you guys have a CV more than one page long?

CVs can be and often are multiple pages, resumes are frequently limited to one page because they have way less information. Google the difference to see what I mean

Yeah that's what I thought. My resume is crunched to a page so I guess my CV will be more than a page. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Released to schools 6/24.

I've had a CV for a few years now. Definitely didn't C/P, just tweaked it as needed. The "hobbies" part was all I needed to add.

Same here. I just tacked them onto the end and updated some of the descriptions of other things.

A CV is not just a copy + paste from AACOMAS. Take the time to write this as it will be useful in the future anyway.

Hey guys ill be starting here at CCOM in August. The CV will be what is used to basically guide your interview when and if that time comes. I would have never thought a significant portion of my interview would be spent talking about having played college football vs currently playing flag football. Good luck to everyone, I was complete in early September last cycle and didn't hear anything till January. Also my CV was about 2 pages, very simple and brief to be expanded in person for the interview.

Hey guys ill be starting here at CCOM in August. The CV will be what is used to basically guide your interview when and if that time comes. I would have never though a significant portion of my interview would be spent talking about having played college football vs currently playing flag football. Good luck to everyone, I was complete in early September last cycle and didn't hear anything till January.

Good to know. Thank you!

Did anybody include an Objective or a Career Aim on their CV?

How "detailed" are people making their CV's? Like mine currently includes EVERYTHING from college and beyond. Including all the stupid clubs I joined in college but never actually did anything with. Should I remove some things before sending it to med school or just leave it all?

Here's the headings on mine if it helps anyone.. I put all my med stuff whether paid, volutneer, whatever in one section so it would be easy to find, and then had just generic work experience after that. Guess I need to add some hobbies, though?

Objective
Education
Honors & Awards
Teaching Experience
Research Experience
Medical Experience
Work Experience
Clubs & Organizations

How "detailed" are people making their CV's? Like mine currently includes EVERYTHING from college and beyond. Including all the stupid clubs I joined in college but never actually did anything with. Should I remove some things before sending it to med school or just leave it all?

Here's the headings on mine if it helps anyone.. I put all my med stuff whether paid, volutneer, whatever in one section so it would be easy to find, and then had just generic work experience after that. Guess I need to add some hobbies, though?

Objective
Education
Honors & Awards
Teaching Experience
Research Experience
Medical Experience
Work Experience
Clubs & Organizations
I'm going to do something similar to this. However I wouldn't include clubs or anything that you didn't contribute to. They could ask you about in during the interview, you never know.

Secondary submitted 6/30/2012. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else had a problem uploading their CV to the website? I have it saved in Word as a docx format but when I click on the Upload File button, nothing happens. I also had trouble just getting into the supplemental app last night, seemed like a problem with CCOM's server.

I am having the same problem. Must be an issue with CCOM.

Has anyone else had a problem uploading their CV to the website? I have it saved in Word as a docx format but when I click on the Upload File button, nothing happens. I also had trouble just getting into the supplemental app last night, seemed like a problem with CCOM's server.
I wasn't even able to open the prompts last night. But, I could submit it today.

I wasn't even able to open the prompts last night. But, I could submit it today.

try using the .doc format instead of .docx... .doc is the 2003 word compatibility format. I think some schools have a problem with uploading the newer format word documents.

i havent received the supp. as yet, so therefore dont know as to what the problem might be.

try using the .doc format instead of .docx... .doc is the 2003 word compatibility format. I think some schools have a problem with uploading the newer format word documents.

i havent received the supp. as yet, so therefore dont know as to what the problem might be.
Actually, it was a .doc formatted file, but didn't work at then. Later, I could submit it with the same format. Must have been a glitch on their systems.. Idn..

I'm all ready for an interview invite CCOM :love:

Just uploaded my CV and it worked fine with docx. Hoping my LORs get sent tomorrow, this process is NOT helping my impatience any.

Yea I was surprised by that 4am email as well.

I'm pretty sure they send that same 4am email to everyone submitted the 2ndaries. Sounds like a good customer-follow-up-email.;)

for people that are getting the secondaries, when did ya'all submit your aacomas app. I did mine on 6/15-6/17, but my app hasnt been verified uptil now let alone be sent to schools. Is this normal to take so long.

Thanks

Submitted 6/3, Verified 6/7, Released to schools 6/24, secondary from CCOM and OU-HCOM 6/29.

It might take them a few weeks; this being a holiday week, it might take even longer. Just a guess.

Last edited:
for people that are getting the secondaries, when did ya'all submit your aacomas app. I did mine on 6/15-6/17, but my app hasnt been verified uptil now let alone be sent to schools. Is this normal to take so long.

Thanks

It took awhile after mine was verified to even be released to schools. Mine was verified 6/15 but didn't get released to schools until 6/24. Oh and I submitted 6/4.

It took awhile after mine was verified to even be released to schools. Mine was verified 6/15 but didn't get released to schools until 6/24. Oh and I submitted 6/4.

I was the same as you futchadoc when i was verified and released. Submitted 6/1

Anyone know if they will allow you to do rotations outside of their affiliate hospitals? I'm really hoping they will allow you to petition to do so...

My LORs have been sent, CV is uploaded, and putting the final touches on the essays. Fingers crossed that this is a successful app!

Anyone know if they will allow you to do rotations outside of their affiliate hospitals? I'm really hoping they will allow you to petition to do so...

third year they allow you to do your elective anywhere you want but all other core rotations must be done at core hospital locations which are scattered throughout the chicago area
fourth year you have more lectures and therefore have more chance to do audition rotations at hospitals...this can be anywhere you want.
i think we are limited to one international rotation but since i am not doing that i can not be 100% sure about that

Can someone give me some information on CCOM's teaching style? Is it similar to AZCOM? Block classes, lecture bases with small PBL groups?

third year they allow you to do your elective anywhere you want but all other core rotations must be done at core hospital locations which are scattered throughout the chicago area
fourth year you have more lectures and therefore have more chance to do audition rotations at hospitals...this can be anywhere you want.
i think we are limited to one international rotation but since i am not doing that i can not be 100% sure about that

awesome, thanks for the insight...

Can someone give me some information on CCOM's teaching style? Is it similar to AZCOM? Block classes, lecture bases with small PBL groups?

block classes, differ classes between quarters, classes at specific times during day.

classes with small group work include biochem and physiology 1st year and micro 2nd year

icm and omm require you working with one of your classmates to perfect techniques

your anatomy dissection group will be about 7 but you only dissect 2 of 3 days in lab and you will have only 4-5 dissecting at a time.

hth

Last edited:
Hi everyone I am starting school at CCOM this August. I know how frustrating and anxiety inducing this whole process can be. I just want to wish everyone good luck and I hope you all get into the school that is right for you. :)

block classes, differ classes between quarters, classes at specific times during day.

classes with small group work include biochem and physiology 1st year and micro 2nd year

icm and mom require you working with one of your classmates to perfect techniques

your anatomy dissection group will be about 7 but you only dissect 2 of 3 days in lab and you will have only 4-5 dissecting at a time.

hth

Very Helpful! Thanks mommy2three

Hi everyone I am starting school at CCOM this August. I know how frustrating and anxiety inducing this whole process can be. I just want to wish everyone good luck and I hope you all get into the school that is right for you. :)

Thanks for the props

On their website, it states that prereqs "organic chem with lab" must be 8 semester hours, or 12 quarter hours. I am confused if this mean that they want 12 quarter hours worth of LAB.
I have 12 quarter hours of ochem lecture and only 8 quarter hours of ochem lab. Do I fulfill the lab requirement or not?

On their website, it states that prereqs "organic chem with lab" must be 8 semester hours, or 12 quarter hours. I am confused if this mean that they want 12 quarter hours worth of LAB.
I have 12 quarter hours of ochem lecture and only 8 quarter hours of ochem lab. Do I fulfill the lab requirement or not?

It's lect + lab = 12. You have it covered

i'm kind of a long shot to get in here... but i absolutely love the school and opportunities it provides... good luck