MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello to everyone!

I was accepted to MSUCOM a couple of weeks ago and I am visiting the school in November! I am not a Michigan resident and I am concerned about the high tutution for out of state residents. Does anyone have insight to this concern? Any current med students that have been successful in receiving siginifcant scholarship money from the school? Also, for those of you at MSU for undergrad, what do you enjoy about east Lansing? Just hoping to get a perspective before I visit! Thanks for the information!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello to everyone!

I was accepted to MSUCOM a couple of weeks ago and I am visiting the school in November! I am not a Michigan resident and I am concerned about the high tutution for out of state residents. Does anyone have insight to this concern? Any current med students that have been successful in receiving siginifcant scholarship money from the school? Also, for those of you at MSU for undergrad, what do you enjoy about east Lansing? Just hoping to get a perspective before I visit! Thanks for the information!
when are you going to be there in Nov.? I was accepted a few weeks ago as well, OOS as well, and gonna be there for Nov. 20th. Still on the fence about this school though. Great program but I am from New Mexico, so the Midwest scares me a little....

Does anyone know much about the curriculum? Is it integrated at all? PBL or taught with clinical relevance? Or old school, with everything taught separately (anatomy, micro, biochem, pharm, etc.? I'd like to hear it from people at MSU now, if possible...Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know when they officially send out rejection letters? I have been complete since 9/27, but I haven't heard anything yet. At this point, I'd rather have a rejection letter than continue waiting in desperation:(

What is the dress code when you come to visit the campus after you have been accepted? Have people been wearing a suit or have they just been wearing dress pants and nice tops?? Any feedback would be nice!
Thanks

I think anything is ok. Most were wearing dress pants and nice tops, but I saw many different styles.

I can not tell you if they send out letters after they review the applicants. However, I did apply here last year, and while I had great stats for the school in general, I guess my application wasn't even initially reviewed (besides screening) by the admissions committee till April. It was submitted in September.

In May when I was put on the waitlist and eventually never accepted I set up a meeting with an admissions counselor. She basically told me that I might have underestimated my "hours" for all of the EC's that I had. Her advice was to basically reconsider the amount of hours I put down as well as find a DO letter writer and then reapply. I did not need to retake the MCAT, take any more classes, or even do more EC's as far as she was concerned! She explained that they have a ranking system that is set up to order the applicants with different weights on different items. It is a computer model that they plug in the number for and you come out a certain rank. Then depending on where you rank (in this arbitrary system) they put your file in different "drawers". The #1 drawer gets reviewed while 2, 3, 4, 5, etc. (i don't know how many) have to wait.

I must have been in a much later drawer as I was not reviewed till April but in this years cycle I have been accepted and was informed about 3 weeks ago. Seems arbitrary to me but I am getting a MPH right now so I can't complain. GOod luck!!

when are you going to be there in Nov.? I was accepted a few weeks ago as well, OOS as well, and gonna be there for Nov. 20th. Still on the fence about this school though. Great program but I am from New Mexico, so the Midwest scares me a little....

I'll be there November 6th! What other DO schools hve you applied to? I am so excited to be offered admission to such a great school I am just turned off my the large tutition expenses for out of staters

I'll be there November 6th! What other DO schools hve you applied to? I am so excited to be offered admission to such a great school I am just turned off my the large tutition expenses for out of staters
I am trying to decide between KCOM, ATSU-SOMA, MSU, and RVU. I too am concerned about the huge OOS tuition, but I am excited to see the new campuses, and hear more about the curriculum. I really like the idea of integrated curriculums like at the other three schools I mentioned (KCOM is slowly coming around to that approach). I like the idea of the satellite campuses, as the class sizes will be smaller, hence more attention hopefully. I also want to see the Anatomy and OMM labs, as the pix off the website show small rooms with old massage tables. The Macomb campus says open in 2009. Will see. I am also using the opportunity to see the Michigan-Ohio State football game in Ann Arbor the next day. I am a Michigan fan, so the idea of going to MSU is a bit blasphemous...HAHAHA...

I am trying to decide between KCOM, ATSU-SOMA, MSU, and RVU. I too am concerned about the huge OOS tuition, but I am excited to see the new campuses, and hear more about the curriculum. I really like the idea of integrated curriculums like at the other three schools I mentioned (KCOM is slowly coming around to that approach). I like the idea of the satellite campuses, as the class sizes will be smaller, hence more attention hopefully. I also want to see the Anatomy and OMM labs, as the pix off the website show small rooms with old massage tables. The Macomb campus says open in 2009. Will see. I am also using the opportunity to see the Michigan-Ohio State football game in Ann Arbor the next day. I am a Michigan fan, so the idea of going to MSU is a bit blasphemous...HAHAHA...

Do you mind me asking your stats? I have applied to all of those schools and have been put on the interview wait list!

Does anyone know much about the curriculum? Is it integrated at all? PBL or taught with clinical relevance? Or old school, with everything taught separately (anatomy, micro, biochem, pharm, etc.? I'd like to hear it from people at MSU now, if possible...Thanks

1st year is basic sciences: Gross Anatomy, Epidemiology/Biostats, Biochem, Genetics, Physiology/Histo, Doctor/Patient Relationships, OMM, Micro, Neuro, Pharm, Clinical Skills, etc.

2nd year is systems courses: GI, Endo, Cardio, Repro, Neuromusculoskeletal, etc.....that sort of thing.

Obviously, years 3 and 4 are rotations.

There isn't really a PBL curriculum, but they definitely integrated clinically relevant topics into 1st year classes. I'm sure its even more so once you get into 2nd year.

Hey, just thought I'd let everyone know that we just had a class meeting where they gave us some info on the Class of 2014 so far. Here it is:

2160 Applications so far

105 Acceptances so far

47 East Lansing
8 Detroit
3 Macomb

I didn't get a chance to copy down the MCAT/GPA, but I think it was somewhere around 27/3.6-ish. I could be wrong on that though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! I had no idea there were so many accepted already. Looks like I better send in my deposit soon!!

Yeah, it looks to be about 1/3 full, but just remember that not everyone who is accepted will end up going to MSU-COM.

Hey - I have a similar question about the volunteer hours section. What's the definitive difference here between the "volunteering" and "extracurricular" categories? I've "volunteered" through some "extracurriculars" both in high school and college. Is "volunteering" explicitly for non-school related organizations? :confused:

They seem to be sticklers for following their formatting on this one so I just wanted to make sure I'm putting everything under the right heading here.

Thanks!:)

Last edited:
Hey - I have a similar question about the volunteer hours section. What's the definitive difference here between the "volunteering" and "extracurricular" categories? I've "volunteered" through some "extracurriculars" both in high school and college. Is "volunteering" explicitly for non-school related organizations? :confused:

They seem to be sticklers for following their formatting on this one so I just wanted to make sure I'm putting everything under the right heading here.

The big thing is that they are sticklers on getting to a certain number of hours in volunteer, EC's, etc. I believe it is something like 800 that they are looking for in order to give you a higher ranking and further up the review stack. I mentioned it in an above post. I would say that the most important thing is to make sure you explicitly state EVERYthing that you think is some type of volunteer or EC. I know it factors in huge and if you are below some cut off (again very arbitrary) you will be considered by the admissions committee later than someone with same stats but more hours. I really don't know exactly how they do it but as far as the admissions lady that I talked to said, this is pretty much how it is done. They plug in your numbers and somehow come up with a ranking on when you will be reviewed.

Her suggestions for my reapplication (which turned out successful) were to make absolutely sure that I put everything down and also DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THE AMOUNT OF HOURS THAT YOU SPENT ON EACH ACTIVITY!!!!!! My reapplication was successful with changes such as that, so I hope this helps you during your process.

As far as where to put what activity I doubt that it makes too much of a difference. However, I do think that if you did some volunteering with an EC group it should be put under volunteering

Last edited:
I believe it is something like 800 that they are looking for in order to give you a higher ranking and further up the review stack.

I have about 1060 work hours from hs, 1400 work hours from college (including clinical work). 180 volunteer hours from hs, 480 volunteers hours from college. 600 extracurricular hours from hs, 400 extracurricular hours from college.

3.5 gpa (both cumulative and science) and 24R.

Complete end of September. Michigan resident.

I haven't heard back yet... do I have a chance? What do you think? I know my volunteer hours are lacking... :( Not quite 800hrs...

I have about 1060 work hours from hs, 1400 work hours from college (including clinical work). 180 volunteer hours from hs, 480 volunteers hours from college. 600 extracurricular hours from hs, 400 extracurricular hours from college.

3.5 gpa (both cumulative and science) and 24R.

Complete end of September. Michigan resident.

I haven't heard back yet... do I have a chance? What do you think? I know my volunteer hours are lacking... :( Not quite 800hrs...

I think you EC's and volunteer hours along with you 3.5 GPA (science and non-science) make you a great candidate. However, I do know that they try to get most accepted applicants to have at least a 26-27 MCAT. That being said I personally know someone who was accepted with a 24. So it is definitely possible to get accepted with your stats. Also, the average of the class is at that 26-27 level so there has to be a decent amount of people below it and above it! I think the lower MCAT might delay your application review but you do have a shot!

I guess my application wasn't even initially reviewed (besides screening) by the admissions committee till April. It was submitted in September.

I think the lower MCAT might delay your application review but you do have a shot!

Thanks for the response! I hope mine gets reviewed earlier than April!!! We'll see...

I should also mention that my first MCAT score was 25R (10P, 7V, 8B) but my second score was 24R (7P, 6V, 11B) :( English is my second language, although with the high writing score, it really isn't an excuse for such a low verbal score.

And the waiting continues... :scared:

hey guys, have a quick question.

I applied late to AACOMAS because I was early decision for an allopathic school and also didn't realize that it takes 8-10 weeks for the AACOMAS to process. I submitted it Oct. 19, so does that mean I can't apply to MSU because my application won't be processed (most likely) by December 1 or do they acknowledge that I actually submitted it in October? Thanks for advice.

For all of the oos people visiting the Lansing campus in Nov are you guys renting a car? Or if anyway can comment of if it is necessary to rent one that'd be great. I want to visit so bad but am really struggling with the cost of airfare, so if I do rent a car should I just fly into a cheaper airport and drive? My worry is that it'll be snowy (no fun to drive in, esp when I don't know where I'm at). Hmm...decisions...any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :oops:

For all of the oos people visiting the Lansing campus in Nov are you guys renting a car? Or if anyway can comment of if it is necessary to rent one that'd be great. I want to visit so bad but am really struggling with the cost of airfare, so if I do rent a car should I just fly into a cheaper airport and drive? My worry is that it'll be snowy (no fun to drive in, esp when I don't know where I'm at). Hmm...decisions...any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks! :oops:

Well, I am glad to inform you that the chances of it being "snowy" are very minimal. It might snow a little but probably no accumulation. I have experienced a couple white Thanksgivings in Michigan but they are rare. I would say that it would all around be cheaper (if air fair is the same) for you to fly into Lansing and use taxi service, shuttle, or bus to get to your hotel and campus. If you hotel is very close to campus then busing it or using a taxi would work. Obviously renting a car would be more convenient. If you are coming from Detroit airport you can either rent a car (expensive) or use the Michigan Flyer bus route which takes you right to the Marriot in East Lansing.

My suggestions are........If money is not a really big option rent a car. It will most likely not be snowy and this way you will be able to take a joy ride around campus and the city to get a feel for where you will be for at least 2 years. If money is a large concern then it is possible to use other transportation and you should do that.

Just my thoughts as a 23 year Michigan residents and MSU undergrad.

Last edited:
did anyone get the email acceptance today???

hey guys, have a quick question.

I applied late to AACOMAS because I was early decision for an allopathic school and also didn't realize that it takes 8-10 weeks for the AACOMAS to process. I submitted it Oct. 19, so does that mean I can't apply to MSU because my application won't be processed (most likely) by December 1 or do they acknowledge that I actually submitted it in October? Thanks for advice.

I would save any money you can and apply again next year. It took more than 7 weeks for my primary to go thru AACOMAS. Even after that it takes a few days or so for MSUCOM to send you a secondary. Plus i would assume a majority of the class will be filled by the end of December. Its up to you tho it might be a longshot. Good luck tho! hope you get accepted

I think you EC's and volunteer hours along with you 3.5 GPA (science and non-science) make you a great candidate. However, I do know that they try to get most accepted applicants to have at least a 26-27 MCAT. That being said I personally know someone who was accepted with a 24. So it is definitely possible to get accepted with your stats. Also, the average of the class is at that 26-27 level so there has to be a decent amount of people below it and above it! I think the lower MCAT might delay your application review but you do have a shot!

Like a previous post stated we had a class meeting last week. They said the average MCAT for each section was 8.2-8.4. There is no minimum score on the MCAT, of course, a higher MCAT looks better in most cases but it IS NOT necessary to have at least a 26-27. My friend is the admissions committee representative for our class and here is what they put the most weight on: BIOCHEMISTRY GRADE AND VERBAL SCORE. They will not look at you unless these two are good. They also weigh heavily your extracirriculars but in order to be looked at, at all, those two are a must!! Good luck this cycle : )

Well, I am glad to inform you that the chances of it being "snowy" are very minimal. It might snow a little but probably no accumulation. I have experienced a couple white Thanksgivings in Michigan but they are rare. I would say that it would all around be cheaper (if air fair is the same) for you to fly into Lansing and use taxi service, shuttle, or bus to get to your hotel and campus. If you hotel is very close to campus then busing it or using a taxi would work. Obviously renting a car would be more convenient. If you are coming from Detroit airport you can either rent a car (expensive) or use the Michigan Flyer bus route which takes you right to the Marriot in East Lansing.

My suggestions are........If money is not a really big option rent a car. It will most likely not be snowy and this way you will be able to take a joy ride around campus and the city to get a feel for where you will be for at least 2 years. If money is a large concern then it is possible to use other transportation and you should do that.

Just my thoughts as a 23 year Michigan residents and MSU undergrad.

Thanks for the advise. I have yet to suck it up and buy the ticket, but am working up the credit courage. I am going to stay two nights because the flights are way cheaper and am looking into renting a car. How is the public transportation around there? Would I be about to manage without a car and not be confined to my dank hotel room?

Like a previous post stated we had a class meeting last week. They said the average MCAT for each section was 8.2-8.4. There is no minimum score on the MCAT, of course, a higher MCAT looks better in most cases but it IS NOT necessary to have at least a 26-27. My friend is the admissions committee representative for our class and here is what they put the most weight on: BIOCHEMISTRY GRADE AND VERBAL SCORE. They will not look at you unless these two are good. They also weigh heavily your extracirriculars but in order to be looked at, at all, those two are a must!! Good luck this cycle : )

Not entirely true...I am taking Biochem this spring (hence, no grade for ADCOM to look at, and I am in...) My MCAT was mediocre at 25Q...I think they weigh heavily the evals sent in with the application. Good luck to all who haven't heard yet..

Not entirely true...I am taking Biochem this spring (hence, no grade for ADCOM to look at, and I am in...) My MCAT was mediocre at 25Q...I think they weigh heavily the evals sent in with the application. Good luck to all who haven't heard yet..

Yeah, I got an email along with the secondary application that said something along the lines, "...if admitted, you need to have completed Biochemistry before classes start..."

There is no minimum score on the MCAT, of course, a higher MCAT looks better in most cases but it IS NOT necessary to have at least a 26-27.

This is straight from the MSUCOM admissions website......

"Academic minimum standards for receiving a supplemental application are 2.70 science and overall grade-point average, and total Medical College Admission Test score of 18, with subject-area minimums of 4 in verbal reasoning, 5 in physical sciences, and 6 in biological sciences."

So there is a minimum requirements because if you don't get a supplemental you obviously cannot continue to try to get accepted. However, 18 is pretty darn low to be considering going into medical school.

I had a 23, with a 7 in verbal. I also didn't take biochemistry, and was accepted almost 2 months ago. Thus, the biochemistry grade and the verbal score is not entirely true.

I had a few questions for students that are attending DMC right now.

1. Is there a library at the DMC site which students have access to 24/7? I saw the Resource Center with a few computers and few desks, but is there anything bigger at this site? I am accustomed to having multiple libraries open late at night, with the main library open 24 hours (MSU). I am trying to see if I will have the same resources at DMC since I do not like to study in my apartment all the time.

2. In the EL, fast food restaurants are open real late (Taco bell, Mcdonalds, Bells Pizza, Wings, etc.) which help with studying late at night. Are there any shops around Riverfront or near DMC that are open late? I have heard that the closest Taco Bell and Chipotle are about 6-7 miles away? Are there any other fast foods besides McDonalds and Burger King in this area?

3. Are there any students living in Royal Oak? If so, what apartment complex?

Yeah, I got an email along with the secondary application that said something along the lines, "...if admitted, you need to have completed Biochemistry before classes start..."

Interesting to know. I also got a 25 MCAT, and I was on hold for grades because I had not yet taken many upper level science courses.I was just passing along what the admission committee rep said was happening in meetings. I guess if your other science grades are good they will over look it. Thanks for correcting me : )

Interesting to know. I also got a 25 MCAT, and I was on hold for grades because I had not yet taken many upper level science courses.I was just passing along what the admission committee rep said was happening in meetings. I guess if your other science grades are good they will over look it. Thanks for correcting me : )

No problem :)

OOS applicant. Both my GPAs are over 3.5 and the MCAT is a little over a 30, so maybe that was factored in. However, what worries me is my meagre EC/Volunteer hours: around 50 hrs. I do have a significant number of hours of paid work experiences: 5000+

I was just complete there last week, so lets see...

I am having a hard time making a wise decision on whether I should go to MSUCOM as an OOS or go to LECOM Erie. I got accepted to both schools. Now, it is with out a doubt that I would rather go to MSUCOM, but OOS tuition is a killer. My dilemma is do I want to forgo LECOM and a cheap education to go to a great school and be in debt 300K (depending on how much aid and scholarships I am awarded). If someone could give me some pros and cons or some feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, how many out there are most likely going to pay for med school all in loans? Any OOS'ers in my shoes?

I am having a hard time making a wise decision on whether I should go to MSUCOM as an OOS or go to LECOM Erie. I got accepted to both schools. Now, it is with out a doubt that I would rather go to MSUCOM, but OOS tuition is a killer. My dilemma is do I want to forgo LECOM and a cheap education to go to a great school and be in debt 300K (depending on how much aid and scholarships I am awarded). If someone could give me some pros and cons or some feedback it would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, how many out there are most likely going to pay for med school all in loans? Any OOS'ers in my shoes?

Here are my two cents.....

I have been accepted to MSU COM class of 2014. Oddly enough my father was talking to a uncle (in law) of mine who happens to be a cardiothoracic surgeon and professor at St. Louis School of Medicine. This guy told my dad, "MSU COM is by far the most respected osteopathic medical school in the country. If you have the opportunity to go there you should not turn it down." Now I know this is anecdotal evidence but it is the opinion of a physician that does not live in Michigan as has no affiliation with MSU COM whatsoever.

That being said, I think that it would be worth the extra tuition to go to a school that will give you the best opportunities. I mean look at MSU COMs last 3 match lists. They are pretty impressive and also include a huge range of different specialties from FP to Ortho.

Here are my two cents.....

I have been accepted to MSU COM class of 2014. Oddly enough my father was talking to a uncle (in law) of mine who happens to be a cardiothoracic surgeon and professor at St. Louis School of Medicine. This guy told my dad, "MSU COM is by far the most respected osteopathic medical school in the country. If you have the opportunity to go there you should not turn it down." Now I know this is anecdotal evidence but it is the opinion of a physician that does not live in Michigan as has no affiliation with MSU COM whatsoever.

That being said, I think that it would be worth the extra tuition to go to a school that will give you the best opportunities. I mean look at MSU COMs last 3 match lists. They are pretty impressive and also include a huge range of different specialties from FP to Ortho.

I love hearing stories like that! MSUCOM is currently (and has been for the past few years) ranked 7th in the nation for primary care! If that is what you think you may go into (peds, OBGYN, psych, general internist, family medicine) you are at the best school in MI. That being said, we had a program last week talking about the national health scholars programs, in which your loans are repaid if you commit to a 2 year minimum working in an underserved area as one of the specialties I listed. This can be an urban or rural area. There are also many out of state scholarships that help lower the cost as well. If you have more questions call MSU's financial aid office at (517) 353-5940 and ask to speak with a medical student financial aid rep, there are 2 ladies that only work with medical students and they are very knowledgable.

And, most of my fellow classmates are paying for school with loans, it is definitely the minority to be fortunate enough to pay out of pocket for a medical education. Hope that helps : )

Has anyone been accepted today? By what time do they usually send out acceptance e-mails on Wednesdays?

I applied last year and didn't hear anything back till May. I was rejected w/o being waitlisted. Do I have a decent shot of getting in as a re-applicant this year with these stats:

27 O MCAT.....9 in each section
3.47 Overall GPA
3.3 Science GPA
Around 900 Volunteer Hours
Employment at an Osteopathic hospital

The only thing that has changed from last year is my volunteer hours, employment at the DO Hospital, and the MD LOR.

I am getting really nervous b/c I have been complete since 10/20 and haven't heard anything back yet. Wednesdays come and go but no sign of any good news.

Has anyone been accepted today? By what time do they usually send out acceptance e-mails on Wednesdays?

I applied last year and didn't hear anything back till May. I was rejected w/o being waitlisted. Do I have a decent shot of getting in as a re-applicant this year with these stats:

3.47 Overall GPA
3.3 Science GPA

The only thing that has changed from last year is my volunteer hours, employment at the DO Hospital, and the MD LOR.

I am getting really nervous b/c I have been complete since 10/20 and haven't heard anything back yet. Wednesdays come and go but no sign of any good news.
In state or OOS? It could likely make all the difference with MSU. If in state, the stats look pretty strong. If OOS, the stats are still not bad by any measure, but your chances go down a ton.

Either way, good luck!

3.47 Overall GPA
3.3 Science GPA

I seriously think that applying to medical school is the biggest crap-shoot ever. I applied last year with stats that were just under yours, and I got in with no problem.

I think you should be fine. Don't worry about not hearing anything yet. I was complete around the same time you were and I didn't hear anything until I was accepted on or around the 1st of December.

3.47 Overall GPA
3.3 Science GPA

Hey! I'm in the same situation as you are!

Complete 10/21
27M - all over the place
3.39 Overall
3.46 Science
1000 Volunteer
Full time at an Internet Marketing company :)
OoS

Oh those Wednesdays. I try to push everything in the back of my mind so I don't go running around worrying about it every week. It doesn't help because I look at this forum like 20 times a day.

I'm not sure if MSUCOM is going to send out anything today because it is Veteran's Day. Lots of schools around here are taking the day off.

Well... good luck and hopefully we'll both hear good news soon.

I got accepted pre-interview!!! yAY!!! i am so excited! I think i will go visit the school nov. 20th. Anyone else going same day?

I'll see you there on the 20th!
I'll be there on the 20th as well. Still waiting for a reply from Macomb campus as to whether or not I can visit there officially...Hoping to see it on the 19th...Good luck for all those still waiting to hear...

I'll be there on the 20th as well. Still waiting for a reply from Macomb campus as to whether or not I can visit there officially...Hoping to see it on the 19th...Good luck for all those still waiting to hear...
I just got accepted on Thursday. I am going to visit the East Lansing campus on the 20th too. Hope to see you guys there.

Yay!!! Got the acceptance on Thursday...I go to MSU for undergrad, so I know what a great DO program they have here. Unfortunately, I sympathize with all the OOSers since I am in that same boat. I am currently debating between KCOM and MSUCOM. See you all on Nov. 20th!!:)

Is there anyone else from outside of Michigan that is going? I'm going to visit the campus asap. I got accepted a week ago...i've never been to michigan, but primary care/emergency medicine is what I am really interested in. Apparently 10% of the class is out of state? What is the school like? Is greek life big on campus? Is east lansing a pretty alright place? After doing lots of research into the program, I think that I'd prefer to go here over several medical schools to which I have applied. Also, I just saw that MSU is #2 in college hoops at the start of the season.

Hi everyone!

I am not quite complete yet at MSUCOM as they are just waiting for my Evals. which should arrive tomorrow or the next day at the latest. I am an OOS student, but I have strong family ties to Michigan as my husband grew up there and my in-laws and extended family still live there.

I am currently working on my master's in biomedical sciences and will be graduating in May.

My stats are:

3.40 Cum. Undergrad GPA
3.82 Undergrad Science GPA
31Q MCAT 12 V/10 BS/8 PS
Over 20,000 work hours, 2500 Volunteer hours (between HS and college), and about 600 EC hours (between HS and college)

I am concerned about being complete so late and also about being OOS. Do you guys think I have any shot?

Another OOS applicant waiting on my evaluations for my file to be complete!

Is there anyone else from outside of Michigan that is going? I'm going to visit the campus asap. I got accepted a week ago...i've never been to michigan, but primary care/emergency medicine is what I am really interested in. Apparently 10% of the class is out of state? What is the school like? Is greek life big on campus? Is east lansing a pretty alright place? After doing lots of research into the program, I think that I'd prefer to go here over several medical schools to which I have applied. Also, I just saw that MSU is #2 in college hoops at the start of the season.

Why would you care about Greek life as a graduate student?

East Lansing sucks, but a lot of people seem to like it. I, on the other hand, cannot wait until 3rd year when I can get the hell out of this boring, depressing, hick town. Don't get me wrong, I love MSUCOM, but East Lansing/Lansing = :sleep: :thumbdown:.

Actually, there's stuff to do. Its just that I am a bit older than most medical students, and the whole social scene around here just isn't me.

Last edited:
Why would you care about Greek life as a graduate student?

East Lansing sucks, but a lot of people seem to like it. I, on the other hand, cannot wait until 3rd year when I can get the hell out of this boring, depressing, hick town. Don't get me wrong, I love MSUCOM, but East Lansing/Lansing = :sleep: :thumbdown:.

Actually, there's stuff to do. Its just that I am a bit older than most medical students, and the whole social scene around here just isn't me.

I completely disagree, East Lansing is great. There usually is always something to do if you look for it and I wouldn't call it a "hick town" considering the students bring a great deal of diversity to the area.

I myself went to MSU for undergrad and I do miss East Lansing, but you do have to choose what is best for you.