MSU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an acceptance e-mail from MSUCOM!!!!!!:D

I was complete last Tuesday.

Members don't see this ad.

congrats. I've been waiting a month now... guess I better do well on my other interviews and hope I get put on a waiting list for MSU.

Can anyone tell me the deposit amount once accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I was just accepted today for the class of 2014! I'm really happy, but I am planning on deferring and entering the class of 2015 instead! I know MSUCOM allows deferrals, but I don't know how to go about this process (obviously I can call admissions and figure it out on my own) but I was just wondering if anybody knows if they "frown" upon asking for a deferral, or if you have to meet certain criteria, and also when and how you go about doing this...I have to reply saying I accept the offer of admission, but I don't want this to guarantee me for 2014...

-any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks so much!

Congrats to everyone who got in this week.

Does anyone know if the adcom will be meeting next week. I am hoping to spend a relaxing Thanksgiving but doesn't look like it is going to happen.

Last edited:
Hey, I've heard from several people that they felt the were accepted almost immediately after meeting with one of the admissions counselors. Did any one do this and would you recommed it?

Hey, I've heard from several people that they felt the were accepted almost immediately after meeting with one of the admissions counselors. Did any one do this and would you recommed it?

I would recommend it in regards to seeing if there is anything you can do to improve your application at this point. Also it shows that you are interested in MSUCOM by meeting with an advisor and that is pretty important. One thing it won't do is guarantee you a spot or make your application itself stronger.

I just got an acceptance e-mail from MSUCOM!!!!!!:D

I was complete last Tuesday.

emo,

Congrats!!

would you mind sharing your stats either on forum or PM, especially since you got accepted so fast!!

emo,

Congrats!!

would you mind sharing your stats either on forum or PM, especially since you got accepted so fast!!

Thanks. CGPA 3.4+ SGPA 3.7+ mcat 27m, over 2 yrs volunteer @ ER, 6 yr community serv. through organization, over 100 hours shadowing, and over 35,000 hours leadership wrk experience.

Thanks. CGPA 3.4+ SGPA 3.7+ mcat 27m, over 2 yrs volunteer @ ER, 6 yr community serv. through organization, over 100 hours shadowing, and over 35,000 hours leadership wrk experience.

Jesus!

I have determined that my lack of these ridiculous amount of hours is what is keeping me out of MSUCOM.

I was wondering if any students at the DMC could tell me if there is a library open 24/7? Also, do you feel safe walking around at night with your laptop in your backpack? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if any students at the DMC could tell me if there is a library open 24/7? Also, do you feel safe walking around at night with your laptop in your backpack? thanks

I plan on being at DMC and I was told that we would have access to all the Wayne State libraries... which leads me to believe that some of them are open 24/7.

I plan on being at DMC and I was told that we would have access to all the Wayne State libraries... which leads me to believe that some of them are open 24/7.

Hmmm I drove to the D today and checked out midtown and the MSUCOM campus there and I was told that the Kresge eye institute (the buidking where MSUCOM classes are held in Detroit) is open 24/7 and many students study in the classrooms there....

Are there any students at the DMC that could give us a little insight on what its like? Where do most students stay? where does everyone study?What do you like/dislike about living in Detroit? It would be much appreciated:)

I toured MSU-COM, and MSU-COM is NOT affiliated with WSU libraries. I take a class at Wayne Med right now, and any one can use the library, but it closes at midnight. There are classrooms that are open at the Wayne med library that are open 24/7, but you need a WSU ID and a pin.

Hmmm I drove to the D today and checked out midtown and the MSUCOM campus there and I was told that the Kresge eye institute (the buidking where MSUCOM classes are held in Detroit) is open 24/7 and many students study in the classrooms there....

Are there any students at the DMC that could give us a little insight on what its like? Where do most students stay? where does everyone study?What do you like/dislike about living in Detroit? It would be much appreciated:)

I am taking a Wayne med school grad class right now, and I live in Riverfront Place. I plan on staying here while attending DMC. It's a really nice place with lots of amenities.

Living in Detroit sucks at times because of the high crime rate, abandoned buildings/homes, and the fact that the nearest Walmart/Meijers is 15 minutes down 94W.

PM me if you have any questions.

I am taking a Wayne med school grad class right now, and I live in Riverfront Place. I plan on staying here while attending DMC. It's a really nice place with lots of amenities.

Living in Detroit sucks at times because of the high crime rate, abandoned buildings/homes, and the fact that the nearest Walmart/Meijers is 15 minutes down 94W.

PM me if you have any questions.

Well, what would you consider the plus sides to living in detroit?

Complete 11/8 and Accepte 11/18, Congrats to everyone else who was accepted! Stats: OOS Applicant, 30Q MCAT, 3.45 & 3.79 Sci GPA. Is anyone else doing the HPSP? I heard MSU starts classes at the end of June, and was wondering how this will effect COT for the Air Force this summer. Also, which campus is would be better to request Detroit or East Lansing?

Complete 11/8 and Accepte 11/18, Congrats to everyone else who was accepted! Stats: OOS Applicant, 30Q MCAT, 3.45 & 3.79 Sci GPA. Is anyone else doing the HPSP? I heard MSU starts classes at the end of June, and was wondering how this will effect COT for the Air Force this summer. Also, which campus is would be better to request Detroit or East Lansing?

Congratulations! I was complete on 11/23 and have not heard back yet from MSU-COM but this is one of my top choices and I hope to be joining you there!!! I am planning on doing the HPSP as well, but I am doing it through the Army so I am not sure how it will affect the Air Force stuff next summer. I am also OOS and have really similar stats to you, 31Q MCAT, 3.40 GPA, and 3.82 Sci. GPA. Can you tell me what your community service stuff was like? I have approx. the following hours and I am trying to get an idea of how competitive I am:

Paid Work: HS: 5360 hours College: 16,680 hours (in dif. career field, not health related)

Volunteer: HS: 1560 hours College: 1000 hours

Extracurricular: HS: 1640 hours College: 460 hours

You can PM me if you would prefer. I would really appreciate your feedback!

Congratulations! I was complete on 11/23 and have not heard back yet from MSU-COM but this is one of my top choices and I hope to be joining you there!!! I am planning on doing the HPSP as well, but I am doing it through the Army so I am not sure how it will affect the Air Force stuff next summer. I am also OOS and have really similar stats to you, 31Q MCAT, 3.40 GPA, and 3.82 Sci. GPA. Can you tell me what your community service stuff was like? I have approx. the following hours and I am trying to get an idea of how competitive I am:

Paid Work: HS: 5360 hours College: 16,680 hours (in dif. career field, not health related)

Volunteer: HS: 1560 hours College: 1000 hours

Extracurricular: HS: 1640 hours College: 460 hours

You can PM me if you would prefer. I would really appreciate your feedback!

Nevermind my previous post! I just got my ACCEPTANCE email!!!!!!

I am SO excited I can't breath!! I'm going to be a doctor when I grow up!! :D

Does anyone have any advice on the use of a letter of interest/intent, particularly as it pertains to MSU-COM? I'm asking in this thread because generally, I probably wouldn't write one until after having received an interview, but as MSU doesn't usually do interviews... would such a letter be well received? Anyone have any experience with this?

Has anyone been offered a guaranteed spot for next year? When do they usually start putting people on the waitlists?

Also, Has anyone been put on a waitlist without a guaranteed spot for next year?

.....Just curious

Has anyone been offered a guaranteed spot for next year? When do they usually start putting people on the waitlists?

Also, Has anyone been put on a waitlist without a guaranteed spot for next year?

.....Just curious

I am pretty sure they start waitlisting people around this time, especially the top percent of the waitlist which is the people who are guaranteed spots for next year. I was waitlisted last year without a guaranteed spot around January I believe.

I toured MSU-COM, and MSU-COM is NOT affiliated with WSU libraries. I take a class at Wayne Med right now, and any one can use the library, but it closes at midnight. There are classrooms that are open at the Wayne med library that are open 24/7, but you need a WSU ID and a pin.

I toured there as well and was told that we also had access to WSU weight room... maybe they misspoke?

So, I just went through the posts from the MSUCOM 2008-2009 thread and what I understood from them is that people who are on the regular waitlist WITHOUT a guaranteed spot do not get in at all and about 70% of the people with the guaranteed spot get in.

Is this true? Can people who were waitlisted last year please comment on what happened with them. Did any non-guarantees ever get in?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

So, I just went through the posts from the MSUCOM 2008-2009 thread and what I understood from them is that people who are on the regular waitlist WITHOUT a guaranteed spot do not get in at all and about 70% of the people with the guaranteed spot get in.

Is this true? Can people who were waitlisted last year please comment on what happened with them. Did any non-guarantees ever get in?

What you are saying is correct. I was waitlisted last year with non-guarantee acceptance for next year. I took the tour of the campus and met with Kathie Schafer and she informed me that there has never been a person on the non-guarantee acceptance list to matriculate for the year they are waitlisted. Of course, that doesn't meant that it never will happen, it just hasn't yet.

So my secondary is now complete after asking me to send one in, Is there any chance that I might get an interview. My stats meet the bare min MCAT req but they still sent me a sec. I think my chances are slim to none. Can anyone give me some feed back?:(:(:(:confused:

I've never heard of these two separate waitlists.. so to clarify, there is a guaranteed acceptance waitlist, which means you will get a spot in fall 2011, but not for fall 2010. and a non-guaranteed waitlist, which is just like a regular waitlist as other schools, but is only for matriculation in fall 2010. is this correct?

and what does the "70% of the people with the guaranteed spot get in" mean? doesn't guarantee by definition mean 100% of students would get in next year..?

I've never heard of these two separate waitlists.. so to clarify, there is a guaranteed acceptance waitlist, which means you will get a spot in fall 2011, but not for fall 2010. and a non-guaranteed waitlist, which is just like a regular waitlist as other schools, but is only for matriculation in fall 2010. is this correct?

and what does the "70% of the people with the guaranteed spot get in" mean? doesn't guarantee by definition mean 100% of students would get in next year..?

The guaranteed waitlist means that you are first choice for acceptance in Fall 2010 if a spot opens up but that if you don't get chosen for Fall 2010 you will automatically be admitted for Fall 2011.

The non-guaranteed waitlist means that you wouldn't get chosen for admission until everyone on the guaranteed waitlist was used up, which is why nobody on that list ever gets in. If you are on the non-guaranteed waitlist and don't get in for Fall 2010 you have to go through the application cycle again for Fall 2011 just like everyone else.

About 70% of the people on the guaranteed waitlist do end up eventually getting chosen for admission and don't have to wait that extra year. The other ~30% have the year off and start the next fall.

So my secondary was complete on 11/19 and i just got an email today saying that MSUCOM would like to invite me for an interview and that i need to confirm if i want to by this monday. I was under the impression that MSUCOM does not conduct interviews. Does anyone know what the chances of getting in are after going thru with the interview? I am thinking that because of my MCAT score of a 24 is the reason why they are interviewing...cuz everything else on my app is above what they are expecting.
Anyone who has gone thru with the interview if you can share your experience and what types of questions they ask, it would be very helpful!

So my secondary was complete on 11/19 and i just got an email today saying that MSUCOM would like to invite me for an interview and that i need to confirm if i want to by this monday. I was under the impression that MSUCOM does not conduct interviews. Does anyone know what the chances of getting in are after going thru with the interview? I am thinking that because of my MCAT score of a 24 is the reason why they are interviewing...cuz everything else on my app is above what they are expecting.
Anyone who has gone thru with the interview if you can share your experience and what types of questions they ask, it would be very helpful!

My impression of the interview there was that you will most likely get in if you get an interview. Interviewer has your file with them at the interview, and he/she knows how good of a candidate you are. They just want a little more information/clarification on your application.

They interviewed me because I have a Ph.D and a good research career, and why the change. My MCAT score isn't great but that was never even a question. You'll have to know what Osteopathic medicine is because I was asked that.

You will get their decision week after the interview.

It sounds like being waitlisted without a guaranteed spot is like getting rejected in a nicer way.

Instead of a straight 'NO', you're getting a 'NO THANX.'

That is precisely what it is. The chances are so slim. The 30% (I guess) left not accepted from the guaranteed for next year wait list have to say no, go somewhere else, or say they will come the following year and that is only to begin to look at the other wait list.

Can anyone tell me if you are accepted and decide to visit the school, does it affect your deposit schedule at all? Or are you still on the same deadlines as if you weren't visiting?

Thanks!

Can anyone tell me if you are accepted and decide to visit the school, does it affect your deposit schedule at all? Or are you still on the same deadlines as if you weren't visiting?

Thanks!

Just talked to them earlier today. It has no effect on the deadline. Im visiting the school in January.

Long story short, I was complete last Tuesday. That said, I realize I'm way behind in the cycle even with good stats, etc etc...

-Does anyone have an idea of how much of the classes/sites are filled? I'm trying to get a general idea of how many more secondaries I actually want to complete due to financial strains and whether or not MSUCOM as a number one choice is realistic this late. (I'm going to complete others regardless after next Wednesday but I figure I have been trolling this thread long enough anyway)

Long story short, I was complete last Tuesday. That said, I realize I'm way behind in the cycle even with good stats, etc etc...

-Does anyone have an idea of how much of the classes/sites are filled? I'm trying to get a general idea of how many more secondaries I actually want to complete due to financial strains and whether or not MSUCOM as a number one choice is realistic this late. (I'm going to complete others regardless after next Wednesday but I figure I have been trolling this thread long enough anyway)

for what it's worth, a friend told me yesterday after having spoken to one of the advisors (molina at the dmc campus) that the spots are really filling up very fast. she said that 280 spots were already filled.

i really dont know how to take that. 280 is a bit much for just december.

but - no matter what, just remember that the spots that are being offered are not necessarily filled. they are only offers. maybe a bunch of these ppl are waiting on other schools.

complete your stuff, call them and keep pestering them. show interest and don't let them forget you! :D

i meant to ask a question too :)

i got a letter saying that my application has been reviewed and they are waiting for my fall grades to come in. what does that mean?

has anyone or anyone you guys know gone through this? i asked one of the counselors and she said it literally means that. i'm so worried, really. i'm doing super fantastic this semester, and i feel more confident. still though, the thought is nerve wrecking.

offer your 2 cents!!!

for what it's worth, a friend told me yesterday after having spoken to one of the advisors (molina at the dmc campus) that the spots are really filling up very fast. she said that 280 spots were already filled.

i really dont know how to take that. 280 is a bit much for just december.

but - no matter what, just remember that the spots that are being offered are not necessarily filled. they are only offers. maybe a bunch of these ppl are waiting on other schools.

complete your stuff, call them and keep pestering them. show interest and don't let them forget you! :D

Thank you for the prompt response, nice to see someone else reading often :thumbup:

280 offers does seem high for just December but then again maybe they're trying to fufill their statement of filling the class by December... who knows. Anyway, with my assumptions based on nothing other than last year's thread, 280 offers should still leave a fair amount of spots open for acceptance into the new year. I was complete this past week so I would think the absolute earliest I would hear back is next Wednesday (can always hope) and if not, there is going to be a very long wait until the adcoms meet again next semester.

I base all of this from last year's thread so maybe it's not worth anything but better than nothing I suppose. You should check out that thread in regards to on hold for Fall grades, there were a few people in the same boat last cycle. Good luck :)

i meant to ask a question too :)

i got a letter saying that my application has been reviewed and they are waiting for my fall grades to come in. what does that mean?

has anyone or anyone you guys know gone through this? i asked one of the counselors and she said it literally means that. i'm so worried, really. i'm doing super fantastic this semester, and i feel more confident. still though, the thought is nerve wrecking.

offer your 2 cents!!!

What else could you possibly think it meant? Kill this semester, send your grades in, show you are serious.

Last edited:
So I set up my visit for January 29th! Is anyone else visiting that day?

I was wondering if a lot of you all that have been accepted are from out of state...I am from...North Carolina/Virginia, and I've paid my deposit with the full intention of attending. Anyone in my position- ie) fresh out of college, 21 years old, moving half way across the country? I feel like it's going to be a pretty interesting experience.

I was wondering if a lot of you all that have been accepted are from out of state...I am from...North Carolina/Virginia, and I've paid my deposit with the full intention of attending. Anyone in my position- ie) fresh out of college, 21 years old, moving half way across the country? I feel like it's going to be a pretty interesting experience.

Hi there! I am from out of state - I haven't put my deposit down yet because I just found out I was accepted this past week. I am in a little different boat than you - I am older (a lady never tells her age :D) and I have a family that will be moving with me (a husband and two daughters) but I did just graduate last may from undergrad and will be graduating again with my Master's this coming May and I'm in Colorado so I definitely get the whole "moving across the country" thing and know how scary that feels. I do agree with you that it will be an interesting experience. I am really hoping that we will all be able to support one another and help each other through the roller coaster that we will all be on! But we'll see. Congrats on the acceptance!

Hi there! I am from out of state - I haven't put my deposit down yet because I just found out I was accepted this past week. I am in a little different boat than you - I am older (a lady never tells her age :D) and I have a family that will be moving with me (a husband and two daughters) but I did just graduate last may from undergrad and will be graduating again with my Master's this coming May and I'm in Colorado so I definitely get the whole "moving across the country" thing and know how scary that feels. I do agree with you that it will be an interesting experience. I am really hoping that we will all be able to support one another and help each other through the roller coaster that we will all be on! But we'll see. Congrats on the acceptance!

I'm from out of state too. I am older. I graduated college back in 2000, and I got my Ph.D in 2006. Have been working since. I've been living in Ohio for about 3 years now. I have lived in Minnesota (3 yrs), southern California (10 years), and I am originally from Japan.

I am waiting to hear from one in-state school that I interviewed back in November. I didn't think I would get anything from them, but they interviewed me so I went. So who knows what will happen, but I will be excited to be at MSU-COM!

Confirmed assigned to East Lansing today...seems like a nice town!:D

HI! I'm from out of state, CA. I was born and raised in CA and am super stoked to move across the country to MI! I know there isn't going to be many of us OOSers there, so we got to stick together ;). What site did you choose?

HI! I'm from out of state, CA. I was born and raised in CA and am super stoked to move across the country to MI! I know there isn't going to be many of us OOSers there, so we got to stick together ;). What site did you choose?

I guess I know who you are :). I'll be at East Lansing.