New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't worry, this seems to be the case with many people including me and others I interviewed with. It is very difficult to judge how the interview went depending on who interviewed you. It seems like they try to test your reactions to stressful situations.

I feel like the interview isn't as crucial as it is elsewhere.

Still waiting on a decision. Next week will be between the 4-6 week mark of waiting for me.

Thanks for the encouragement! I hope that you hear some good news and SOON!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Finally I received my decision letter from NYIT-COM. Waitlist.... Letter dated 2/28/2014, postmarked 3/5/2014, interviewed 2/12/2014. Received 3/14/2014...

Since NYIT never rejected any applicants at this time, my heart broke.... Good luck to everyone who is waiting the decision....

Finally I received my decision letter from NYIT-COM. Waitlist.... Letter dated 2/28/2014, postmarked 3/5/2014, interviewed 2/12/2014. Received 3/14/2014...

Since NYIT never rejected any applicants at this time, my heart broke.... Good luck to everyone who is waiting the decision....
don't be discouraged...if you read last year's thread..people got off the waitlist all the way into july. there is hope!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
waitlisted as well. NYS resident, so bummed :( Does anyone know if they notify you if you're off the waitlist via email or snail mail?

Does anyone know how full the class is so far?

Reactions: 1 users
oops, I meant a letter of intent?
I would at least wait to send a letter of intent until after your interview, you'll want them to know that your visit/interview solidified your intent to attend their school.

I'm also extremely curious about this. It feels like interview season is basically over yet haven't heard from the school yet. Is there any point to pestering the admissions office?

i wouldnt give up just yet. i interviewed last week and one guy in my group had literally gotten the interview invitation the day before. i'm pretty sure they give out interview invites through april plus its a really large class.

i wouldnt give up just yet. i interviewed last week and one guy in my group had literally gotten the interview invitation the day before. i'm pretty sure they give out interview invites through april plus its a really large class.

Thank you. Do you mind if I ask your stats? I have a feeling they're only interviewing the stronger candidates who were late.

Thank you. Do you mind if I ask your stats? I have a feeling they're only interviewing the stronger candidates who were late.[/quote.]

gpa 3.7 sgpa 3.3 27 mcat, in state, decent extracurriculars, no research

Have you heard back from them yet? And when did you receive the invite?

I'm a 3.3 c and 3.0 sci with 29 mcat, instate, lot of ec and some research. I really hope to hear from them soon because this whole process is starting to take a toll on me mentally. Thanks for your help!

Have you heard back from them yet? And when did you receive the invite?

I'm a 3.3 c and 3.0 sci with 29 mcat, instate, lot of ec and some research. I really hope to hear from them soon because this whole process is starting to take a toll on me mentally. Thanks for your help!

havent heard back yet but hoping for the best as this is my top choice! i got the II mid february

Not sure but last I heard they are accepting less students this year because of the brand new PBL curriculum.

Members don't see this ad :)
He meant to say that the lecture curriculum will incorporate some PBL like elements like small group discussion, but it will still be lecture based.

At the info session, they mentioned that they still have a ~300 class size

At the info session, they mentioned that they still have a ~300 class size

Agreed. At the interview last week they said the total class size is still close to 300 as it has been for years. 36 of the students go into the DPC program (Doctor Patient Continuum = PBL, which they informed us is not very new, it has been used at NYCOM since 2005) and the rest go into the lecture style program.

One is not better than the other, it's just which learning style suits you, but since there is a limit to how many people can fit in the small group discussion rooms, you must apply to the DPC program after you are accepted to NYCOM.

Last edited:
D'oh. Quoted my own post.

Is it stupid to send a letter of intent or interest before hearing anything from the school? This is honestly my top choice even though I was placed on the waitlist at another school.

Is it stupid to send a letter of intent or interest before hearing anything from the school? This is honestly my top choice even though I was placed on the waitlist at another school.

I don't think it's stupid at all. They should keep interviewing til some time in April but we're drawing closer to that time now. In my opinion it can't hurt to send a letter.One thing I've learned from all this is just how important it really is to convey your true interest in a school; we spend so much time worrying about if they'll like US that it's easy to forget to let them know how interested we are in THEM.

I don't think it's stupid at all. They should keep interviewing til some time in April but we're drawing closer to that time now. In my opinion it can't hurt to send a letter.One thing I've learned from all this is just how important it really is to convey your true interest in a school; we spend so much time worrying about if they'll like US that it's easy to forget to let them know how interested we are in THEM.

Yeah, I've heard so much about nycom and would definitely go here if I were to be interviewed and accepted. I guess it can't hurt. I'll get started on it and be done by this weekend. Thanks

Reactions: 1 users

Sorry, just to clarify, which letter would you send? I meant that the intent might be a little silly because I haven't interviewed.

Sorry, just to clarify, which letter would you send? I meant that the intent might be a little silly because I haven't interviewed.

No problem. I meant a letter of intent. I don't think it's silly even if you haven't interviewed, since you can get a lot of information about things like the NYCOM's curriculum, clinical rotations, etc even without interviewing.

No problem. I meant a letter of intent. I don't think it's silly even if you haven't interviewed, since you can get a lot of information about things like the NYCOM's curriculum, clinical rotations, etc even without interviewing.

Thanks. I'll get to it tomorrow and send it this weekend. Going to do even more research about the school.

Yeah, I've heard so much about nycom and would definitely go here if I were to be interviewed and accepted. I guess it can't hurt. I'll get started on it and be done by this weekend. Thanks
Honestly I would not write a letter of int
Very similar except for the 3.6 grad GPA haha. Well again, good luck!
I wouldn't worry about your stats holding you back from getting an interview, this school cares more about numbers. It's clear that they are reading into your entire application to see that you can articulate ideas and hold depth in character. They are looking at your extracurricular activities (clinical and non clinical), dedication to osteopathic medicine, and background. My stats are horrible 24 MCAT, 3.2 sGPA, 3.55 non science, and I interviewed in the beginning of March. Send a letter of interest and call admissions directly and articulate how much you want to be THERE. See if anybody will write you a quick letter of recommendation that you can add into your file in addition to the required ones. Honestly at this point and this late in the game be very persistent and even obsessive if you want one of those last remaining interviews.

Honestly I would not write a letter of int

I wouldn't worry about your stats holding you back from getting an interview, this school cares more about numbers. It's clear that they are reading into your entire application to see that you can articulate ideas and hold depth in character. They are looking at your extracurricular activities (clinical and non clinical), dedication to osteopathic medicine, and background. My stats are horrible 24 MCAT, 3.2 sGPA, 3.55 non science, and I interviewed in the beginning of March. Send a letter of interest and call admissions directly and articulate how much you want to be THERE. See if anybody will write you a quick letter of recommendation that you can add into your file in addition to the required ones. Honestly at this point and this late in the game be very persistent and even obsessive if you want one of those last remaining interviews.

Thanks for posting this, you give us hope! I have similiar stats as you too and I would love to be accepted at NYCOM. Is a letter of interest same as letter of intent? (I haven't gotten an interview yet and am very nervous). Do you think its helpful if my current boss/ my principal investigator send them a short letter about me (although he already wrote my recommendation letter)? Should I have one of my coworkers (whose an MD) write it? Thanks for all the advice!

Thanks for posting this, you give us hope! I have similiar stats as you too and I would love to be accepted at NYCOM. Is a letter of interest same as letter of intent? (I haven't gotten an interview yet and am very nervous). Do you think its helpful if my current boss/ my principal investigator send them a short letter about me (although he already wrote my recommendation letter)? Should I have one of my coworkers (whose an MD) write it? Thanks for all the advice!
I would write them a letter stating your interest in the school (why you are interested, and what you would bring to the table pretty much)-- I wouldn't state that if you're accepted you will attend, that's something more appropriate post interview. Sell yourself, don't just list your achievements or goals, but use them as a means for defining who you are and what you want. I wouldn't have anyone whose written you a LOR write another letter (quality over quantity), I would have a coworker (the MD) write a letter or even a friend of yours (they don't need to be in the medical field!), prove you're well rounded not just by the activities you participate in, but with the people you surround yourself with.

Complete since Sept....no word yet.
In-State, 3.85/31 (10/11/10), non-trad (jd/mba), strong extra curriculars (but no resesrch other than clinical).

II just now.

Reactions: 3 users
II as welll, sigh feels so weird. This is my number one school but I've basically been in hibernation mode and forgot my interview skills ever since I got accepted way back in September. What to do what to do...

Still haven't heard back from them in terms of a decision. I interviewed in early February. Next week is going to be week #6 since my interview.

Should I be sending them another letter?

Complete 9/30/13; II 1/17; Interviewed 2/19; got wait listed today 3/22. I live ten mins from the school. Semi bummed but still grateful to have had the oppurtunity. I wasn't too sold on the school (maybe bc I've grown up on Long Island all my life) but they seem to be developing which is awesome to see. Good luck to everyone else still waiting. My fingers are crossed for you!

Complete 9/30/13; II 1/17; Interviewed 2/19; got wait listed today 3/22. I live ten mins from the school. Semi bummed but still grateful to have had the oppurtunity. I wasn't too sold on the school (maybe bc I've grown up on Long Island all my life) but they seem to be developing which is awesome to see. Good luck to everyone else still waiting. My fingers are crossed for you!

Waitlist is still better than nothing.
Keep your head up!

Just got my waitlist letter right now unfortunately.

Does anyone know what the movement is like on the waitlist? I've called a couple times and they said it's not ranked and that they review everyone when there is any movement.... I got waitlisted last month.... :(

Anyone who has interviewed here have any advice on how it goes? I know its open book, but do you think they are looking at the secondary we sent in or the AACOMAS application? I'm assuming that these April interviews are pretty much the last of the cycle.

Anyone who has interviewed here have any advice on how it goes? I know its open book, but do you think they are looking at the secondary we sent in or the AACOMAS application? I'm assuming that these April interviews are pretty much the last of the cycle.

The interviewer only has your secondary, no grades/MCAT. Interview is pretty relaxed and short (~15-20 minutes). They ask mostly personal questions (Why OM? Why NYCOM?). They also ask what three specialties are you interested in.

The interviewer only has your secondary, no grades/MCAT. Interview is pretty relaxed and short (~15-20 minutes). They ask mostly personal questions (Why OM? Why NYCOM?). They also ask what three specialties are you interested in.

I have my interview this Wed (3/26) and I am excited/nervous for the interview. 15-20 min interview sounds really short... but I found this post to be very helpful.

Thank you!