New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

#1 choice right herrrreeeeee!
Just submitted primary and am awaiting verification. Does anyone know the secondary questions yet? It'd be super helpful if someone can post it here. Thankssssss

Reactions: 1 user
Last year i remember it was very general, they just asked why nycom & state what your plans are this year if you're not finishing school

At some point, all secondaries become very similar in scope... And you can regurgitate stuff from other secondaries

So I would focus on getting your secondaries completed for other schools, it will help you have content to create something for NYCOM, and you can have a 24 hour turnaround from when the secondary is assigned to when you submit

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Re-applicant here! Still on the waitlist, but thought I would get an early jump on this thread.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it worth applying here if you're OOS?

Is it worth applying here if you're OOS?
Their website says the class of 2017 was 70% IS and 30% OOS. Obviously they have an IS preference, but if you have the stats and/or it's one of your top picks, why not go for it?

What stats does nyit usually like?
Anything they look for in particular?

One of my top choices! Would love to stay in-state. My DO LOR is from one of their graduates.

Can any current students speak to the two curriculum options and what they are actually like day to day?

How bad is not having a DO LoR?? I've shadowed a DO, just never got a letter.

Worth applying late with good mcat (507) mediocre gpa (3.0ish), in state but applying late- December.

Members don't see this ad :)
thats ~31, school.average is 28.ur gpa is much lower, applying that late isnt good for you

I have circumstances preventing me from applying before that.
Would a higher MCAT score help? Additionally, my application in all other aspects is well above average, non trad, law school before BS, overcome odds, disadvantaged etc

Been in the area looking for places to live, and I gotta say... the reputation of NYIT-COM is really top-notch both in and out of NY. The community enjoys having the students around, and everyone I have met just raved about the school. Really excited to start here in the Fall!!

Would a higher MCAT score help? Additionally, my application in all other aspects is well above average, non trad, law school before BS, overcome odds, disadvantaged etc
Your GPA prevents you to be highly prioritized even with your MCAT. School like those applicants with 3.5/30(505). Your unique experience will only make you stand out among applicants with similar stats. The best case scenario is you will get interviewed by Feb-Apirl and they either accept you right away or put you on the waiting list. I am sure if you go to 14-15 thread you will find many are still waiting for a spot for class of 2015. It's a very stressful process. I would rather use this year to boost GPA and apply early next cycle.

I think most everyone has mentioned this already but assuming that your MCAT is ~30/31 then that is an excellent score and a retake would only be a waste of time for NYIT, unless its an extremely unbalanced score. Retaking it and getting a 32 equivalent or 34 equivalent will no doubt help but only marginally. At that point your GPA is holding you down.

If its possible to retake some courses at a community college then I would suggest that instead. DO schools both allow grade replacement and are not too fussy about people taking coursework at a community college, especially if you performed well in law school and upper level science courses. Look into re-taking courses that you got a C or worse in. That can definitely make a strong impact on your GPA. Unless you are like me and have an outstanding amount of credits and the impact is not significant enough to warrant the effort, which I still did but it took much longer than a semester haha. I would say if you can bolster your GPA from a 3.0-ish to a 3.3-ish then it would make a significant impact.

Applying late can be worrisome here, especially as late as December. Not all schools are this way but this last cycle, to our limited SDN knowledge, they waitlisted everyone interviewing from Late February to late April (with only a few exceptions in late February). To throw some anecdotal evidence I applied in September (I think) and was given an interview invite in December (I believe), but the earliest date to interview was already the last week of February. I believe applying in December would really push you into the latest possible interview dates since your application still needs to be verified. So I would suggest applying next cycle so you have your strongest foot forward. That would give you the greatest amount of time to increase your GPA too. If you could apply now, I would say totally do it but I would not risk being a re-applicant over a cycle that is not looking so great based on your circumstances.

Ending of course saying your MCAT is absolutely phenomenal and you should be really proud of that and how far your have come. I do not know your story, but from the sounds of it you will be a unique applicant who will definitely make it. You just have to plan it out the best you can.

Good Luck!

I think most everyone has mentioned this already but assuming that your MCAT is ~30/31 then that is an excellent score and a retake would only be a waste of time for NYIT, unless its an extremely unbalanced score. Retaking it and getting a 32 equivalent or 34 equivalent will no doubt help but only marginally. At that point your GPA is holding you down.

If its possible to retake some courses at a community college then I would suggest that instead. DO schools both allow grade replacement and are not too fussy about people taking coursework at a community college, especially if you performed well in law school and upper level science courses. Look into re-taking courses that you got a C or worse in. That can definitely make a strong impact on your GPA. Unless you are like me and have an outstanding amount of credits and the impact is not significant enough to warrant the effort, which I still did but it took much longer than a semester haha. I would say if you can bolster your GPA from a 3.0-ish to a 3.3-ish then it would make a significant impact.

Applying late can be worrisome here, especially as late as December. Not all schools are this way but this last cycle, to our limited SDN knowledge, they waitlisted everyone interviewing from Late February to late April (with only a few exceptions in late February). To throw some anecdotal evidence I applied in September (I think) and was given an interview invite in December (I believe), but the earliest date to interview was already the last week of February. I believe applying in December would really push you into the latest possible interview dates since your application still needs to be verified. So I would suggest applying next cycle so you have your strongest foot forward. That would give you the greatest amount of time to increase your GPA too. If you could apply now, I would say totally do it but I would not risk being a re-applicant over a cycle that is not looking so great based on your circumstances.

Ending of course saying your MCAT is absolutely phenomenal and you should be really proud of that and how far your have come. I do not know your story, but from the sounds of it you will be a unique applicant who will definitely make it. You just have to plan it out the best you can.

Good Luck!
Thank you so much for much for saying that. My circumstances are "unique" .. To me they're just a battleground lol, but to an outsider aparently overcoming those odds show outstanding character traits (according to my premed advisor who i confided in) .. Anyways, my science grades are as following
Bio I A
Neuroscience A
Orgo C
Physics (retaking got an F this spring)
Chem 1 A (retake)
chem 2 C (can't retake this because my school is charging me per credit for this course and fiancial aid wont cover it as I'm in senior year as of fall- it was also for 5 credits at my current college and local colleges have the same course for 4 credits at the most)

Taking Bio II at Community College in January, grades come out February.
Orgo II and Physics II in spring and summer 1 respectively.

What's dropping the gpa is a ridiculous course i took called Intro to Chemistry long time ago, I got a C+ by never going to class and that course I can't find an equivalent course near me. the only "intro" courses there are have zero credits.

My upward trend is pretty visible because i was diagnosed with ADHD, PTSD and severe anxiety due to these conditions my grades have suffered insurmountably (no surprises, I'm just happy I'm not crazy like i thought i was lol)
i failed physics, and i get these grades out in December. I really can't be taking a year off to "bump" up my grades. Working 30hrs a week and having class is not easy, nor possible longer than this.

I'm applying to a few schools many with deadlines in March, April however tje majority being 02.01.16..
If not my sgpa, I'm hoping my upward trend, 1000+ hrs volunteer work, md and do LoRs, life experience and law school and legal work experience help me out.

Good Luck!

Just wanted to ask, did you apply to Touro as well? I'm in NYC and have a family who is very unwilling and too costly to move so touro harlem is also my first choice, their deadline is 04.01.16, hoping to have a better shot there too.

Good luck with nyit, i really hope you get the acceptance letter soon! All the best :)

Just wanted to ask, did you apply to Touro as well? I'm in NYC and have a family who is very unwilling and too costly to move so touro harlem is also my first choice, their deadline is 04.01.16, hoping to have a better shot there too.

Good luck with nyit, i really hope you get the acceptance letter soon! All the best :)

Just wondering, why do you have to stay in NY? Why not in the surrounding states?

Just wondering, why do you have to stay in NY? Why not in the surrounding states?

Because moving when you have kids and a spouse with a job in said city, moving requires time and money. And when your spouse doesn't have a job lined up in whatever city/state you're moving to, that is a significant amount of income lost.

More so, there are No med schools in CT, MA, DC, only 1 in NJ and that is a 3.5hr drive from where I live. My husband is absolutely dead against moving to Rural areas like Lynchburg VA, Maine etc. so my choices unfortunately are very limited-

More so, there are No med schools in CT, MA, DC, only 1 in NJ and that is a 3.5hr drive from where I live. My husband is absolutely dead against moving to Rural areas like Lynchburg VA, Maine etc. so my choices unfortunately are very limited-

There's quite a few in PA. You have PCOM and LECOM. (Although LECOM is on the other side of PA.)

I guess if you're dead set in NYC, Touro NY and NYIT is your only choice.

There's quite a few in PA. You have PCOM and LECOM. (Although LECOM is on the other side of PA.)

I guess if you're dead set in NYC, Touro NY and NYIT is your only choice.
Not dead set but praying to God something comes through in nyc, applying to 10 total, mainly the ones in close proximity to big cities.

Thank you so much for much for sayin that. My circumstances are "unique" .. To me they're just a battleground lol, but to an outsider aparently overcoming those odds show outstanding character traits (according to my premed advisor who i confided in) .. Anyways, my science grades are as following
Bio I A
Neuroscience A
Orgo C
Physics (retaking got ais spring)
Chem 1 A (retake)
chem 2 C (can't retake this because my school is charging me per credit for this course and fiancial aid wont cover it as I'm in senior year as of fall- it was also for 5 credits at my current college and local colleges have the same course for 4 credits at the most)

Taking Bio II at Community College in January, grades come out February.
Orgo II and Physics II in spring and summer 1 respectively.

What's dropping the gpa is a ridiculous course i took called Intro to Chemistry long time ago, I got a C+ by never going to class and that course I can't find an equivalent course near me. the only "intro" courses there are have zero credits.

My upward trend is pretty visible because i was diagnosed with ADHD, PTSD and severe anxiety due to these conditions my grades have suffered insurmountably (no surprises, I'm just happy I'm not crazy like i thought i was lol)
i failed physics, and i get these grades out in December. I really can't be taking a year off to "bump" up my grades. Working 30hrs a week and having class is not easy, nor possible longer than this.

I'm applying to a few schools many with deadlines in March, April however tje majority being 02.01.16..
If not my sgpa, I'm hoping my upward trend, 1000+ hrs volunteer work, md and do LoRs, life experience and law school and legal work experience help me out.

I did but unfortunately no love from Touro on my end. The great thing about having a unique story is that they are what get people off waitlists, that and persistence. If its necessary then totally apply, because there is always a chance. You cant get accepted if you dont apply haha. I just dont know your financial situation, because its expensive and a bit of a gamble that late in the cycle. Since I am worried you will be interviewing for a waitlist spot if you apply in December.

If it makes you feel better, there are plenty of applicants with excellent credentials (who I undoubtedly would love to see accepted) being passed over right now. This could mean that if you have an interview and get waitlisted then your GPA might not matter as much as just standing out, and being a wee bit persistent!

Your first step is doing what you can for that GPA so your as ready as possible if you decide to apply in December. Retake Physics. Do awesome things and give it your all. The fact that your doing well considering your circumstances speaks alot. Its not like your 22 with no real world experience. Use that to your advantage. Good Luck!

Secondary Submitted, unless I missed a tab of the application there is no formal essay just boxes to input experiences like you would on a resume

Hey, did you describe your activities or just list the date, job title?

Hey, did you describe your activities or just list the date, job title?
I just listed them. The instructions said to just list activities and include dates. I assume they will be able to get details from the primary app

I did but unfortunately no love from Touro on my end. The great thing about having a unique story is that they are what get people off waitlists, that and persistence. If its necessary then totally apply, because there is always a chance. You cant get accepted if you dont apply haha. I just dont know your financial situation, because its expensive and a bit of a gamble that late in the cycle. Since I am worried you will be interviewing for a waitlist spot if you apply in December.

If it makes you feel better, there are plenty of applicants with excellent credentials (who I undoubtedly would love to see accepted) being passed over right now. This could mean that if you have an interview and get waitlisted then your GPA might not matter as much as just standing out, and being a wee bit persistent!

Your first step is doing what you can for that GPA so your as ready as possible if you decide to apply in December. Retake Physics. Do awesome things and give it your all. The fact that your doing well considering your circumstances speaks alot. Its not like your 22 with no real world experience. Use that to your advantage. Good Luck!

Omg you didn't get into touro? I heard they're really lenient on their admissions towards the end because a lot of people end up chosing other schools. Maybe not true, I don't know. Mind if I ask what stats you applied with?

You and a certain member of an adcom
On sdn who I messaged privately actually told me the same thing abt applying in December, its not too late for DO schools.

Hopefully I get in somewhere, preferably NYIT but anywhere is OK!
Did you hear back from nyit yet

question, if you did volunteer work abroad but about half was shadowing, half was volunteer work, how would you report that on here?

i just submitted the secondary now.
Now for the best part of the application cycle: waiting.....
:-(

question, if you did volunteer work abroad but about half was shadowing, half was volunteer work, how would you report that on here?
I would list them as two separate activities. There is a box for shadowing and a box for abroad volunteering

last question! Would you consider teaching children and adults about nutrition + exercise medical or other

hey, did anyone receive an email before submitting or did everyone just make an account and submit without it? Are we sure this is ok to do?

For the Letters of Recommendation, should I just list my committee letter or should I ALSO list the letters included in my committee letter??