New Zealand!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ANUG

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I wanted to start a thread here to have a chance to hear about what people have to say about the Otago dental school.
I'm a 21 year old fifth year dental student here and was admitted to a number of other dental schools in Australia after completing HSFY. I chose Otago over others because people (professionals and students alike) said that Otago was an internationally renowned school and it would be ranked in top 10 dental schools world-wide... Some other comments were that students get much clinical experience here and get a solid foundation of knowledge by the time they graduate. One even said that hospitals in Victoria visit New Zealand before any other states in Australia to recruit dentists.
I can't say much and I don't know much because I only went to Otago. So for me its hard to objectively compare. As to what we get to do for example, in the fourth year we have to do at least 2 endo's, 2 indirect restorations, 2 complete dentures, 1 partial denture and 1 immediate denture and 30-40 direct restorations + perio review for every patient and a moderate number of exo's. As far as clinical sessions go we have 12hrs of GDP, 3hrs of Prosth and 3hrs paediatrics.
Any Otago graduates overseas or those who have worked with kiwis, what really is the standard of the dental education at Otago and how do you think our degree compares with others?

Members don't see this ad.

i need this information for a friend of mine.do u have to give similar exams as in usa to enter dental school ?
to be simple way to get into dental school for foriegn graduates?

As far as I know there are only a limited number of places available for foreign graduates. They have to have a very good GPA for start and they sit UMAT, similar to DEET that you guys sit in the states. Then there's an interview as the last hurdle. Why wouldyour friend be interested in coming to New Zealand just out of curiosity?

Well, I graduated from Otago back in the days and have worked in Aussie and the US. Fortunately, I have not come across anyone who would balk at me saying, "So, you're from Noo Zealand??!!" Most of the time, they'll start talking about Lord of the Rings. I do miss Dunedin sometimes and especially meat-pies at Carisbrook!! :)