Nontrads, Tell Us About your 'Wild' Friday Night

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So my orgo professor is the dean, doesn't believe in "multiple guess," and is a sadist. Anyway, I have to memorize every functional group among everything else, not just the 'main' ones. I hate flashcards but... anywhooo.... my 6 year old just said, "You really need to remember that is Carboxylic acid anhydride! Pronounced it perfectly. Smart kid.

Members don't see this ad.

Hang in there, guys. My last couple of nights have been brutal too. Other than fantasizing about just not showing up for work tonight, there's not much to be done beyond cinching those scrub pant drawstrings a little tighter and sucking it up. :hungover:

So my orgo professor is the dean, doesn't believe in "multiple guess," and is a sadist. Anyway, I have to memorize every functional group among everything else, not just the 'main' ones. I hate flashcards but... anywhooo.... my 6 year old just said, "You really need to remember that is Carboxylic acid anhydride! Pronounced it perfectly. Smart kid.

i fell asleep last night listening to a recording of my orgo professor. I plan to repeat the process several times today :)

Members don't see this ad :)
My last couple of nights have been brutal, too. My liver's hating on me. ;)

My Friday was/is meeting up with an old friend for a little while, then back home to do homework for the online class I'm auditing. What I'm really doing is trying to adjust to being single, and trying to adjust to the thought of selling my beautiful car to get something more economically responsible and save more money :cry:.

firstworldproblems.jpg

:(

Is pushing a 350-400 lb person in a gurney or a wheelchair truly difficult for some people?

Whenever I do this I get the weirdest reactions from the hospital staff. "Oh wow you did that all by yourself?"

It's not like I had to do any real lifting whatsoever. Just push... wheels... :confused:

I'm enjoying the first vacation I've had in quite awhile. I have a whole 8 days off work and school. Of course to celebrate my Friday night I did what??
... went to bed before 9 p.m. because I'm messed up from working nights.....

Good news is the weather is gorgeous and it's peak time for fall color photography :)

Is pushing a 350-400 lb person in a gurney or a wheelchair truly difficult for some people?

Whenever I do this I get the weirdest reactions from the hospital staff. "Oh wow you did that all by yourself?"

It's not like I had to do any real lifting whatsoever. Just push... wheels... :confused:
I don't wheel people around the hospital, but I can tell you that doing just about anything with superobese patients is about 1000 times more difficult than doing the same task with normal weight or even regular obese people. Probably that's the reason why the staff would say that, even though you're right that once you get them moving, the kinetic friction shouldn't be too hard to overcome. :p

Worked last night. Finally was successful at putting in a central line. Working this whole weekend too. Sigh.

I don't wheel people around the hospital, but I can tell you that doing just about anything with superobese patients is about 1000 times more difficult than doing the same task with normal weight or even regular obese people. Probably that's the reason why the staff would say that, even though you're right that once you get them moving, the kinetic friction shouldn't be too hard to overcome. :p

Worked last night. Finally was successful at putting in a central line. Working this whole weekend too. Sigh.

Overcoming the static friction would likely be the reason for concern. Maybe they though it would be too high for you. Are you a teeny tiny person? :p

I'm under five feet tall but I have legs that were meant to squat heavy. :laugh:

You can't tell under my scrubs and giant salmon pink volunteering smock, though. :p

I'm under five feet tall but I have legs that were meant to squat heavy. :laugh:

You can't tell under my scrubs and giant salmon pink volunteering smock, though. :p

Wheeling obese folks around is pretty easy on the fancy new gurneys they have... I agree. Maybe the reason that folks are shocked/impressed is because is is not uncommon, once you have wheeled someone, to have to transfer them to a surgery bed... or diff recovery bed??? Doing that with a 400 lb person by yourself would be a recipe for disaster.... and a hernia

Overcoming the static friction would likely be the reason for concern. Maybe they though it would be too high for you. Are you a teeny tiny person? :p

Unless the wheels are slipping, static friction isn't technically being overcome. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless the wheels are slipping, static friction isn't technically being overcome. :p

PRESS RELEASE: It appears that even hospitals are feeling the economic squeeze. In a recent announcement, several of the nation's top hospitals have contracted with Wal-Mart to deliver gurneys at a highly discounted rate. A hospital administrator, speaking under conditions of anonymity said, "This move should save patients about 1 cent per visit. That's a really stupid move." Stupid? Maybe. But who couldn't use the savings in today's financial climate?

Do we have static friction now with the front left wobbly wheel?

Threshold braking, it's been so long. :(

I don't get all ho-hum and have issues asking for help when I need it, but her insistence that I get someone to help me because "he's a big guy" in a pretty loud whisper in front of the patient got me all ugh :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hello, my fellow Nontrad forum party poopers. I am happy to say that I have this weekend off. My plans for this evening were that I went to yoga class after getting off work, and I am now in bed eating pretzels because I don't feel up to making a real dinner. It is so nice to be able to spend my Friday night doing....absolutely nothing. :cool:

I updated my iPad software to iOS 5.0. Now to figure out how to work all this new stuff on there and put my apps back where they belong....

It's fall break .. that means beer and TV with no real studying needed at this exact moment..

Unfortunately, I still have those knots in my got telling me I need to study.

How wild is that?

This Friday night I spend the evening watching fire blowers and eating Greek Cuisine with my hubby and a group of 20 surgeons from Latin America. It would have been a blast, except for the fact that they speak spanish so fast that I was lost

Good:
- Sister's 16th B-day tomorrow (I'm 27)
- Just put the final touches on the 1st paper that I've co-authored that will be submitted for publication!
- Finishing the 2nd paper for publication

Bad:
- Studying for O Chem and English Tests on Monday
- Constantly checking e-mail to see if I got an interview at one of my top 3 schools

Utter Crap:
- Found out that my student health insurance will not cover any ADHD treatments (they will cover my meds fortunately) nor the SURGERY I am having on my foot in a month! Stupid pre-existing conditions!

Awesome:
- Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan, and loving that my boys are up 3-2 in the NLCS!

I actually went out friday night! We rarely get to do that since we have a 4 year old. We (my hubby and I) went to a delicious Korean restaurant then a fun little place on post that has pool tables, slot machines etc. When I say on post I am referring to a military post, we are stationed in Germany. It was fun and nice to get out for awhile.

Then I went to bed and woke up at 6:30 because I had final exams that started 8:30. :D I did really good on the exams though, the night out relaxed me so much that I was very calm and knocked out my exams rather easy.

studying for cell and molecular biology exam times eleventy billion

n8MAQ.jpg

^^Lol!

I partied with my physics problem sets. I actually love doing physics so it was a great night. I've been terrible at magic/logic subjects my whole life, but physics is so easy 'cause of the pretty pictures you draw!:love:

I worked at the fire house. Nothing exciting, one anxiety attack, one kid prank call, and one imminent delivery (which we were back up and it really wasn't an imminent delivery, just a freaked out husband :) ).

studying for cell and molecular biology exam times eleventy billion

n8MAQ.jpg

I feel your pain. We just had our final in that class 2 weeks ago.

This past Friday night was spent with a cadaver studying for my anatomy exam. As was my Saturday night, and most of my Sunday. I'm going home now to zone out with an hour or so of South Park.

Friday nights during the fall, you'll find me at my kid's high school football game. Gotta' love the band nerds!

:whistle: <---pretend this smilie is playing a saxaphone (or a flute, but she went off to college this year, or percussion, but he's not in high school yet, or piano, but she's not even in middle school yet!)

When I got accepted people at the hospital wondered why tf I was volunteering on a Friday night.

So I finally took a break after 2 years and caught a show on the south side:

[YOUTUBE]Ltw_EVRudv0[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]39kFbcd6oKU[/YOUTUBE]

And of course :love:

[YOUTUBE]Y2CNB5VJBJw[/YOUTUBE]

Who wants to share their Thanksgiving weekend plans? I will be working both Thursday and Friday. Saturday and Sunday....I haven't planned yet beyond sleeping in and doing my laundry. I should just be able to make it that long before running out of clean scrubs. :hungover:

We are going to Portland Oregon to have Thanksgiving with my 19 year old son, mom and sister's family.

While we are there I will take my mom out for jazz and wine, help my hubby cook thanksgiving dinner, take everyone to a thanksgiving movie at the super cool McMennamins theatres, and go hiking in the forest.

Well, last year I was in the ICU all week and had off just the Sunday after Thanksgiving. My children and family, dang they're awesome, refused to allow me to cook for the holiday and they ate leftovers. They also refused to make me cook on my only day off. They totally rock.

This year I have off Thursday and Friday. I'm cooking. A lot. I'm going to make a HUGE turkey, all the trimmings, have a nice wine or perhaps even make a lovely champagne punch, a couple apple pies, and then Friday we put up the Christmas tree. Of course Saturday and Sunday I'll be in the ICU and then I have the week after that TOTALLY OFF!!!! Yeah, not going anywhere, just lounging around the house, sleeping, and starting the job search.

Family meal on Thursday, then catching up on studying the rest of the weekend. Or trying to, at least. :(

Sleep in a fetal position on the floor of the breakout room studying for final #3 in 5 days. Thanksgiving where are you?

I think ShyRem's sounds like the place to be.

I spent this past friday finishing an ethics paper worth 45% of my grade not really knowing how best to organize it. I was also working while they implemented our new hospital lab software system at 1 a.m. after several years of planning and prep. We were all expecting system wide failure and had multiple members of management there. It went smoothly and waited til Monday morning when they did an update of little fixes to crash and we had no interface to download tests to instruments or upload results to charts for several hours during which we got a couple thousand samples that had to be manually ordered on the analyzers and results manually entered, then verified by another person. It's frustrating taking so long to get patient results out to the docs trying to treat them :(

Thanksgiving I'll be working as well. Hoping for less excitement and good breakroom treats.
:xf:

n3xa, I've come to the conclusion that hospital staff are never too stuffed for sweet treats :)
I was going to say...since when can you have too many goodies in the break room, holiday or no holiday? :laugh:

n3, don't feel obligated to bring anything, but I guarantee you it will get eaten if you do. :)

I was going to say...since when can you have too many goodies in the break room, holiday or no holiday? :laugh:

n3, don't feel obligated to bring anything, but I guarantee you it will get eaten if you do. :)

I kind of don't... but I kind of do. :p Awhile back I was hyping up my baking skills and treats to the 7p-7a nursing shift (I volunteer Friday 6-10p). A couple of months back I brought in some cookies:

http://fancyfoodfancy.wordpress.com/2010/10/26/momofukus-compost-cookie/

Yeah well I didn't regulate them and the ER was slammed all day, so a ravenous dayshift got to them in less than 20 minutes.

I was gonna make the cookies anyway for a couple of other events this weekend, so I scaled up the recipe x3 and made sure to hide a few for the nightshift crew when I came in last night. And I'm cool with most of them anyway even outside of the ER so it's really no big thing.

And ok I slipped a hello kitty plastic bag with a cookie in it for my fave murse and put it in his mailbox since he doesn't work Fridays no mo'. :oops:

So who's awake and around on this now early Saturday morning? Night shift in the ICU here. Had a sick pt who I wasn't sure would survive through the night, but so far so good. I put in an intraosseous line in a patient the nurses couldn't get access in. Afterward, the patient's nurse drew back on the line, and some yellowish, gelatinous-looking marrow came out. It was....interesting, to say the least. But she flushed it back in, hooked up the IV, and the good news is that it worked. Phew.

I am up n checking the mega numbers. I didnt win ..again! I was so sure that I had a winning ticket so that I can quit my job n go to school full time to finish my pre reqs, n started SDN charity to put all of us through med school! :)

Yeah, I didn't win either. Hardly ever play, but have big plans for cool things I'd do with it. I'd definitely have recruited a few of you like-minded folks to help me with a few of them too :cool:

In other news my "wild friday" night was spent working as usual, and honestly I'm thankful it was anything but wild. They decided to take a break from doing updates and fixes to the hospital's computer system and I'm forever grateful.

Hey Q! I was covering ICU last night too. And will again tonight. Ugh. Worked all day yesterday, up all night in the ICU. But since I've been in days I could only sleep until noon today. Yup. Great. Six hours sleep in 48 hours. Awesome. But I helped my intern attempt a tube last night (his first- which sounds awful until you realize he is going into optho next year) and did a few central and art lines, handled seizing patients, admissions, etc. The usual.

We will see what tonight brings. I'll try to get online tonight and see how your night is going.

Hey Q! I was covering ICU last night too. And will again tonight. Ugh. Worked all day yesterday, up all night in the ICU. But since I've been in days I could only sleep until noon today. Yup. Great. Six hours sleep in 48 hours. Awesome. But I helped my intern attempt a tube last night (his first- which sounds awful until you realize he is going into optho next year) and did a few central and art lines, handled seizing patients, admissions, etc. The usual.

We will see what tonight brings. I'll try to get online tonight and see how your night is going.
I'm in the ICU tonight too. So far it's going crappy. We have a frail, demented elderly pt with every comorbidity known to man who is full code--like that's going to go well if it comes down to it. :rolleyes: We also have a septic shock pt whose lactates keep going up and up no matter what we do. pH < 7 and going down. Every time the lab calls to give us another critical value, I'm ready to strangle someone, but I'm doing my best not to take it out on them. It's not their fault that they have to keep calling us every time a new result comes back. At least now they don't have to ask me my name anymore when they call. :hungover:

I have to say that I'm really disheartened by how we assault, batter, and torture these sick, defenseless people in the ICU. It's wrong, and I think if more people saw what a code is really like, or saw someone dying with a tube sticking out of every orifice, they might not be so quick to say that they want everything possible done for them, especially when the effort is obviously futile. It's depressing to be here and keep seeing this same drama play out day after day (or night after night, as the case may be). Many times we can convince families to make the patient CMO, and in that case, I feel like I've actually done something to help the patient. Crazy reversal of roles, isn't it? To only feel like I'm doing a good job as a physician when I help people die more humanely?

I'll tell you that when it comes to be my turn, I'm going to barricade myself in so that someone in my family can't get cold feet and go against my wishes. I've also made my sister my health care proxy instead of my parents, because my mom has explicitly said she wouldn't respect my wishes. Nice.

Every time the lab calls to give us another critical value, I'm ready to strangle someone, but I'm doing my best not to take it out on them. It's not their fault that they have to keep calling us every time a new result comes back. At least now they don't have to ask me my name anymore when they call. :hungover:

Lab folks everywhere thank you.

I have to say that I'm really disheartened by how we assault, batter, and torture these sick, defenseless people in the ICU. It's wrong, and I think if more people saw what a code is really like, or saw someone dying with a tube sticking out of every orifice, they might not be so quick to say that they want everything possible done for them, especially when the effort is obviously futile. It's depressing to be here and keep seeing this same drama play out day after day (or night after night, as the case may be). Many times we can convince families to make the patient CMO, and in that case, I feel like I've actually done something to help the patient. Crazy reversal of roles, isn't it? To only feel like I'm doing a good job as a physician when I help people die more humanely?

I'll tell you that when it comes to be my turn, I'm going to barricade myself in so that someone in my family can't get cold feet and go against my wishes. I've also made my sister my health care proxy instead of my parents, because my mom has explicitly said she wouldn't respect my wishes. Nice.

Ditto, and I've decided this just from my time in the bloodbank, can't imagine what it's like actually being on the floor seeing it firsthand. Have you read these?

How Drs Die
http://zocalopublicsquare.org/thepublicsquare/2011/11/30/how-doctors-die/read/nexus/

and "Can We Agree to Disagree" from the A Piece of My Mind Section of JAMA

http://jama.ama-assn.org.ezp1.lib.umn.edu/content/302/15/1629.full

Last edited: