NYCOM Acceptance!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
USArmyDoc said:
Honestly, I can't believe you are crunching numbers. Yes, it is expensive but you knew this when you applied! If medicine is what you want to do then you should take loans. I am just surprised to hear this out of an accepted candidate.

Yeah, I knew it was going to cost a lot but I didn't know I would get this far. I exhausted my resources for post bac work and now its the big game. The number is scaring me because I am trying to be realistic and really want to know how medical students are paying for school these days. I talked to doctors in the hospital and they are still paying their loans and so I have to know that this route is worthwhile since a decade ago med school was less expensive. To be honest, I feel education is overpriced and that its become a business rather than actually educating people. Its like paying a huge membership fee to get into a country club but how you hit the ball on the golf court depents mostly on your hard work, drive, effort, and skill.

Sure, you can go into the profession but you don't want to feel like you have become an indentured servant. That's why these private practice doctors are out there trying to make the big buck to pay back their loans and when they meet patients they are basically looking at dollar signs when they should be actually thinking about how to treat illnesses. They probably are thinking about what their quota has to be each day just to break even.

I just want to keep it real and be practical and consider everything before making the jump because its a jump that you can't undo and it only goes deeper.

Members don't see this ad.

dude11 said:
Yeah, I knew it was going to cost a lot but I didn't know I would get this far. I exhausted my resources for post bac work and now its the big game. The number is scaring me because I am trying to be realistic and really want to know how medical students are paying for school these days. I talked to doctors in the hospital and they are still paying their loans and so I have to know that this route is worthwhile since a decade ago med school was less expensive. To be honest, I feel education is overpriced and that its become a business rather than actually educating people. Its like paying a huge membership fee to get into a country club but how you hit the ball on the golf court depents mostly on your hard work, drive, effort, and skill.

Sure, you can go into the profession but you don't want to feel like you have become an indentured servant. That's why these private practice doctors are out there trying to make the big buck to pay back their loans and when they meet patients they are basically looking at dollar signs when they should be actually thinking about how to treat illnesses. They probably are thinking about what their quota has to be each day just to break even.

I just want to keep it real and be practical and consider everything before making the jump because its a jump that you can't undo and it only goes deeper.

No, you are right. I was very rash to jump to a conclusion. I apologize. Everything you have said makes total sense. Good Luck

dude11 said:
I just went to the mailbox and got a letter from NYCOM. I have been accepted !!!!!! I still can't not believe it. The letter was not certified or anything special so I still can not believe it.

I feel validated! I only had this interview and they are offering me a seat in the 2006 class. I feel so validated and that someone wants me!

I still can not believe it. I keep reading the letter over and over again just to make sure.

HI congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
i have an intervew this thursday and I am so nervous.. any suggestions or help!!
i'm not the the best speaker and I have a nervous thing going on!
please help

Members don't see this ad :)
:rolleyes:
eanisis78 said:
i have an intervew this thursday and I am so nervous.. any suggestions or help!!
please help

You will be fine. Sit down watch a few movies not medically related. Exercise a little to vent out stress. Just know why you want to be a doctor.

BE YOURSELF and all will work out! :) :rolleyes: :thumbup:

dude11 said:
I will be turning 28 in four months. Oh man, my bachelor degree is in accounting and I had to spend two years post bac working on requirements and take the MCAT twice. I got 21 O first time and have been debating if I should take it for a third time this coming April. I have been receiving rejections and just this one interview so far and it wasn't looking good.
why wasn't it looking good/??

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
:rolleyes:

You will be fine. Sit down watch a few movies not medically related. Exercise a little to vent out stress. Just know why you want to be a doctor.

BE YOURSELF and all will work out! :) :rolleyes: :thumbup:
hi...
i need a good weakness... all my true weakenesses are really bad... so please give me some advice!!!!!!!!!
i'm too old for this stuff!

eanisis78 said:
hi...
i need a good weakness... all my true weakenesses are really bad... so please give me some advice!!!!!!!!!
i'm too old for this stuff!

Use a weakness that can be turned into a positive. Cliche ones like "stretching yourself out too thin" (which causes you too lose your priorities/focus)

But you can flip that statement and say you have been working on that. And lately have been able to still volunteer,do research, blah blah blah AND STILL be successful in classes.

Your interview date is Jan 5th?

eanisis78 said:
please help

Congrats to everyone accepted to NYCOM (and anywhere else for that matter) already... although hearing of people who interviewed on DEc 14 being accepted already makes me think...I interviewed on the 15th and the interviewer, Dr. Shelat told me that the 2nd or even 3rd week of January is the time frame for me to hear back...should I be worried if i dont get an acceptance within the next few days? was his estimate long just to be safe?

yasha83 said:
Congrats to everyone accepted to NYCOM (and anywhere else for that matter) already... although hearing of people who interviewed on DEc 14 being accepted already makes me think...I interviewed on the 15th and the interviewer, Dr. Shelat told me that the 2nd or even 3rd week of January is the time frame for me to hear back...should I be worried if i dont get an acceptance within the next few days? was his estimate long just to be safe?

Hi yasha83,

I had the same interviewer and he told me that the admissions office was attempting to have a 3-4 week turn around time from the point of interview. I called the admissions office about that and they told me that they were working on getting as many files as complete as possible. Some would be complete before the christmas/new year's break others would be completed afterwards. So if you heard already, it's because they finished the file before the break. I'm still waiting for a letter from them and hoping.

DO Sigma Nu guy said:
Use a weakness that can be turned into a positive. Cliche ones like "stretching yourself out too thin" (which causes you too lose your priorities/focus)

But you can flip that statement and say you have been working on that. And lately have been able to still volunteer,do research, blah blah blah AND STILL be successful in classes.

I agree with that. I was asked this question and I had to think of an answer. But I think they want to know that you are thinking. So I kept silence for like 3 seconds and then answered honestly to the best of my ability. I also turned the answer around when asked the opposite question.

dude11 said:
I agree with that. I was asked this question and I had to think of an answer. But I think they want to know that you are thinking. So I kept silence for like 3 seconds and then answered honestly to the best of my ability. I also turned the answer around when asked the opposite question.

Yeah, i got asked the weakness question at my DEc. 15th interview too. I told him that my weakness was that at times i felt I was not assertive enough in certain situations where I should be (arguements where I am clearly right... etc.). Prior to this I told him my greatest strength was my ability to get along w/ anyone, therefore I just played this weakness off as a facet of my strength. It seemed to work for him. I got my acceptance on thursday.

PlasticMan said:
"A non-refundable Advance Admissions Fee of $500 is required to be paid to confirm a place in the class, according to the following schedule:
Those accepted prior to November 15 will have until December 14.
Those accepted between November 15 and January 14 will have 30 days.
Those accepted between January 15 and April 1 will have 14 days.

An additional non-refundable $1,000.00 Enrollment Confirmation Payment is also required to be paid, according to the following schedule:
Those accepted prior to April 1st should make the Confiramtion Payment by May 1.
Those accepted after April1st will be required to submit a combined payment of $1,500.00."

i dont think this is valid anymore...
they told me you have to pay $1500 at front...

docdoc2727 said:
i dont think this is valid anymore...
they told me you have to pay $1500 at front...
They need to updated their website then! :idea:

I just came back from my NYCOM interview and received the Financial Aid presentation. Wow! I understand how dude11 feels. LOL!

Still my top choice though.

I got my letter dec 30th, had interview 12/1. Anyone else there that day?

Regarding the deposit, They want 1500 by 1/20. According to ACOMAS, thats not cool. But what can you do.

To everyone that got in AND is still applying/interviewed at UMDNJ. Would you go there b/c its cheaper if you got in? I dont know much about that school but it seems ok.

The Deposit is actually $1500 all at once, according to the acceptance letter. This is contrary to what the website states. I sent mine in, see you all in August!

Anyone complete in October has been called for an interview yet?

maybe I should make a separate thread...