NYCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
15375148.jpg

Just sayin'.

Members don't see this ad.

can someone link me the class of 2016 in facebook. thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
just got an interview with the impossible to get into nycom..im just wondering you guys who have been waitlisted with what appear to be really good stats, are you guys out of state maybe?

Last edited:
just got an interview with the impossible to get into nycom..im just wondering you guys who have been waitlisted with what appear to be really good stats, are you guys out of state maybe?

In-state here. I'd like to hear of anyone accepted vs. waitlisted into NYCOM post-mid Jan interviews. :rolleyes:

Its been a very competitive year, and each year keeps getting tougher and tougher to get in. Im a 2nd year student and also one of the ambassadors who gives gives tours to people interviewing, so ask away and questions you may have.

Please tell me you don't know the guy in the picture lol

He is the president of the Class of 2014. (JK. That pic is a common MEME)

First year student here, I am also willing to assist in anyway possible. Feel free to PM me questions.

In-state here. I'd like to hear of anyone accepted vs. waitlisted into NYCOM post-mid Jan interviews. :rolleyes:
For what it's worth: accepted after 1/31 interview. IS, 30+, 3.3c (includes 4.0 post-bacc), strong ECs and LORs

Did anyone who was complete after mid November get a response yet? Its been 3 and a half months since I was complete. My stats aren't terrible either (3.5 gpa/31 MCAT/moderate volunteer experience).

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone with February interviews hear anything yet? I was looking at last years thread and it seemed like a lot of the February people were hearing back after 2-3 weeks. Maybe the school is a little slower this year though. I would love to hear back before my March 7th deadline for another school, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen. =/

Interviewed Feb. 8th, no response yet. Getting nervous with all the talk of competitive students being waitlisted/rejected.

Did anyone who was complete after mid November get a response yet? Its been 3 and a half months since I was complete. My stats aren't terrible either (3.5 gpa/31 MCAT/moderate volunteer experience).

similar stats + OOS : no news.

Interviewed Feb. 8th, no response yet. Getting nervous with all the talk of competitive students being waitlisted/rejected.

Let's stay positive guys! They have like 300 seats and I've heard they accept a majority of the people they interview, so somebody has to get those seats. Why not us?! This attitude has kept me from going crazy.....so far lol.

Let's stay positive guys! They have like 300 seats and I've heard they accept a majority of the people they interview, so somebody has to get those seats. Why not us?! This attitude has kept me from going crazy.....so far lol.

Because it's wishful thinking that this late in the process, one has the same chances as if they were complete by July. Most seats are already full, hence it's getting more competitive and acceptances seem to be chosen at random. Nothing wrong with being positive, but let's be realistic too!

I'm an in-state applicant. I didn't write a LOI. I really hope thats not whats hindering my application...
I didn't write a LOI either and it did not seem to hinder my application. If NYCOM is where you'd like to go, however, it certainly couldn't hurt to write one...

Hey,
I'm OOS, complete since the end of Sept. and my status still says Under Review! Blahh....Best of luck to everyone!

Where are you seeing this status?
Actually I was confusing this forum with NYMC lol woops. But I've been compete at NYCOM since Nov. and when I called they said I was still under review, etc.
Best of luck though!

Actually I was confusing this forum with NYMC lol woops. But I've been compete at NYCOM since Nov. and when I called they said I was still under review, etc.
Best of luck though!

Ah, looks like you're my OOS counterpart. When I called, they didn't give me any info (that I was under review or anything). They just said that they have 5k applicants and that I just need to wait :(

I hope that it means they're just slow and haven't reached our applications yet. Gluck to you as well!

Hey everyone. I just got invited totally unexpectedly for an interview. Anyone know if the class is full yet? Are these waitlist interviews? I was complete so long ago I can't even remember and I'm already in at Touro.... so I'd love to skip this one if it's for a waitlist spot.

Thanks!

Sent from my MB860 using SDN Mobile

Hi I'm.in the same spot as you, just got the acceptance letter on Friday from touro, have an interview with nycom tomorrow, wondering if its worth to go to as all the spots seem full, everyone is being put on waitlist, I blame.myself for submitting all my apps in January, when did you interview at touro?

Unfortunately, NYCOM does interview for waitlist spots and it seems like it started early this year. They usually over accept so there won't be much waitlist movement, if any.

Make sure you read the reviews posted about each school and consider both the positives AND the negatives because there is a lot of truth in them. After you get a good feel for NYCOM then figure out whether or not it is still worth interviewing for a waitlist spot.

Has anyone who interviewed on Feb 2nd heard back?

Thank you!

I suppose they're gonna send out all the feb acceptances together? Since it seems like no one has heard yet

Quick Question :

For those accepted was it a large packet or a regular envelope?

Thanks !

It seems people have heard back ranging 4-6 weeks after their interview so keep your fingers crossed February interviewees!

Just received my acceptance in the mail today, interviewed 2/7. So excited :)

Just received my acceptance in the mail today, interviewed 2/7. So excited :)

Congrats! I guess that means the rest of us February interviewees will start hearing back pretty soon.

3.9 GPA, 31 MCAT, Complete end of November. I'm so excited, this was definitely my first choice! Good luck to everyone and hopefully I'll see some of you there soon!

anyone ask them about the increasing tuition, it seemed like it was brushed aside.....?

NYCOM will always be one of the most expensive schools. Where your tuition goes, no one really knows. They don't even pay hospitals for their students to rotate there.

What NYCOM used to have going for it was its large list of affiliated hospitals in its OPTI. Now that Tourocom-NY has joined NYCOMEC, what made NYCOM unique is now shared and students may have a difficult time passing up Touro's smaller class size and lower tuition to go to NYCOM.

NYCOM will always be one of the most expensive schools. Where your tuition goes, no one really knows. They don't even pay hospitals for their students to rotate there.

What NYCOM used to have going for it was its large list of affiliated hospitals in its OPTI. Now that Tourocom-NY has joined NYCOMEC, what made NYCOM unique is now shared and students may have a difficult time passing up Touro's smaller class size and lower tuition to go to NYCOM.
In the interest of transparency, another potential issue is Hofstra's students rotating through all of the sites that are associated with the North Shore-LIJ Health System. I had asked my interviewer about the potential issue of crowding. He said it's a good question and he didn't have an answer to it. To be fair, NYCOM class of 2016 won't have as much of a problem until Hofstra reaches its full class size in a couple years.

That's an interesting point you brought up. Yes, crowding on rotations will be an issue. It is more serious than anyone is willing to admit. Hostra students will always get priority at LIJ. I would be more worried about crowding from Caribbean schools right now. They are willing to pay big bucks to get their students into these hospitals. With the amount of money these IMGs bring in, they are welcomed with open arms.

This normally wouldn't be such a big issue if the school was supportive of you doing away rotations. It has been brought up a couple of times that NYCOM simply refuses to accommodate students who would like to do away rotations. As you know, for DO schools, that can be a death sentence.

That's an interesting point you brought up. Yes, crowding on rotations will be an issue. It is more serious than anyone is willing to admit. Hostra students will always get priority at LIJ. I would be more worried about crowding from Caribbean schools right now. They are willing to pay big bucks to get their students into these hospitals. With the amount of money these IMGs bring in, they are welcomed with open arms.

This normally wouldn't be such a big issue if the school was supportive of you doing away rotations. It has been brought up a couple of times that NYCOM simply refuses to accommodate students who would like to do away rotations. As you know, for DO schools, that can be a death sentence.
Regarding the away rotations: that's actually not categorically true. I know someone who has requested to do a rotation or two within a hospital system in Virginia for which there is currently no NYCOM connection. NYCOM is literally creating the institutional connection with the Roanoke system to accomodate. Is that the norm? Probably not...this student was one of the academic fellows so that probably helped...but it's worth mentioning

3.9 GPA, 31 MCAT, Complete end of November. I'm so excited, this was definitely my first choice! Good luck to everyone and hopefully I'll see some of you there soon!

Complete the END of November? Looks like I got the silent rejection, then.

Interviewed feb 2nd with an anatomy professor. Called today and the lady said the committee is still in the process of reviewing the app...

Anyone else in a similar situation? I've only seen one post of a Feb 7th interviewee getting accepted. Anyone in the Feb 1st or 2nd group hear back?

Hey guys, just got my acceptance letter this morning! Really excited and i'll most probably be attending in the fall. I'll post my stats to give you guys an idea. Good luck to everyone that's still waiting to hear back!

In state
GPA: 3.35
MCAT: 35R
Complete mid-October
Interviewed February 14th

Interviewed feb 2nd with an anatomy professor. Called today and the lady said the committee is still in the process of reviewing the app...

Anyone else in a similar situation? I've only seen one post of a Feb 7th interviewee getting accepted. Anyone in the Feb 1st or 2nd group hear back?

I called as well and the woman I spoke with was very nice. She said it was still early which is probably why most of the February interviewees haven’t heard back yet :)

Hey guys, just got my acceptance letter this morning! Really excited and i'll most probably be attending in the fall. I'll post my stats to give you guys an idea. Good luck to everyone that's still waiting to hear back!

In state
GPA: 3.35
MCAT: 35R
Complete mid-October
Interviewed February 14th

Gee wow! Congrats!!!!

Got my acceptance letter today too!
Completed early November
sGPA - 3.98
cGPA - 3.97
MCAT - 27 S

goodluck to all of the other february interviewers! Hopefully I'll be seeing you around campus soon!