NYU vs. University of Maryland ( about 100 ish K cheaper over 4 years)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowys435

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
NYU

Pros:

Curriculum
Loved NY. After being in durham/ baltimore my whole life I fell in love
Overall good vibe/ feel from the school and the students
MBA option
More opportunities in global/ public health

-SO could maybe move there since he is in banking on the west coast right now. We have been doing long distance, which isn't going too well right now. Also, he is not willing to put a lot into the relationship and I am doubting his commitment. Been together 2 years, marriage is on the table, but not for sure. I feel like I shouldn't be swayed by this given he is prioritizing his career and made it clear this relationship will be second. At the same time, I am temped that if we're potentially in the same place it might work, though he hasn't promised he would relocate.

Cons
MONEYYYYYYYY- though I dont have a financial aid offer yet but based on SDN it seems like it might end up being a lot of loans so I am approximating with my estimate of it being about 100 k more but I think thats in the right ballpark.

UMD

Pros
Close to home- it will be nice being close to home after having been away for college.
Parents could probably cover housing food brining down my debt to about 120 k.
Great school and does well with residencies
good education

Cons

HATE BALTIMORE
not pass fail
overall feel meh about the school but not bad about it by any means. I just think having lived in maryland my whole life i am desensitized to university of maryland.
too close to home? Parents are over protective.

Honestly, I am just worried that I'm not capable of making an objective decision and what should be weighed more and what should be weighed less. It will be helpful to have outside advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Liking NYC and the potential to be with your SO are legitimate reasons to prefer one school over the other IMO. Significant debt is another obvious reason to prefer a school. NYU tuition is 100K more expensive, but don't forget cost of living and other related expenses. The financial difference could very well be more than 100K (if you didn't already account for other costs). Gotta go where you'll be happy, but make an informed and realistic decision.

-SO could maybe move there since he is in banking on the west coast right now. We have been doing long distance, which isn't going too well right now. Also, he is not willing to put a lot into the relationship and I am doubting his commitment. Been together 2 years, marriage is on the table, but not for sure. I feel like I shouldn't be swayed by this given he is prioritizing his career and made it clear this relationship will be second. At the same time, I am temped that if we're potentially in the same place it might work, though he hasn't promised he would relocate.

Based on this, I would take SO out of the equation in your decision making process. Seems like things are iffy at best regardless of which school you pick.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would advise against living with parents during medical school b/c that kind of isolates you from the student body. If I were in your shoes, I would choose NYU over UMD, especially since UMD is literally the only school that still has ABCD grading.

I would pick NYU because baltimore looks like a third world country compared to manhattan.

I would also pick NYU in this circumstance becuase you like the school/city better and you wouldn't have to live with your parents but definitely don't pick it based on your SO. TBH that sounds like a pretty toxic relationship that will bring you down once school starts. I don't know your situation but I would seriously consider taking a break or even breaking up BEFORE you start med school since the worst would be to break up the day before an exam, during boards studying, etc. You seriously can't afford to have anything negative in your life at this point so I would consider taking care of that now when it's more convenient. Obviously this is a personal decision but if I were you, I'd really try to spend some time thinking about this and deciding whether your SO will be a positive or negative influence. Sounds like she/he doesn't have your best interests at heart, so you need to make sure you do.