Official 2012-2013 Allergy/Immunology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for starting this thread. The threads from previous years were really helpful in helping me prepare to apply this year. Exciting to see programs downloading applications already. Looking forward to what may come, and hearing from others who are applying this year.

Thanks for starting this thread. The threads from previous years were really helpful in helping me prepare to apply this year. Exciting to see programs downloading applications already. Looking forward to what may come, and hearing from others who are applying this year.

Ebenezer,

What were some things you did to prepare for applying to A/I? It sounds like most people pursue research to make themselves competitive for a fellowship, and they might present at conferences. Would letters from Big-Wigs help significantly?

thanx
sc:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all, Hope your application season is going well. Just wondering if anyone has started receiving interview offers? Other threads seem to be getting some people posting that they have received offers. I applied to about 25 places and all but 3 have downloaded the application so far.

Also, when do people expect to interview, August, Sept, Oct, or Nov? Do you think most places will not interview till Oct?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, good to see someone else in the application process on here. I submitted my apps by 7/18 and haven't heard anything yet and still waiting on some programs to download my app. I know it's early but I'm still getting antsy!

I'm not sure how things will work this year but I was guessing august through October would be interview season seeing as how rank lists are due in november...but that's just my thought on it.

Cool. Thanks for sharing. UT Memphis has a good program. Phil Liberman is there and he is a big wig. Does the WOA lit updates as well as AAAAI ask the expert.

I didn't apply to UT Memphis. How many places are people applying to? Like I said earlier in the thread, I applied to about 25.

Hi all!

I'm applying from the Peds side of things..Could someone give the link to some of these other forums?

Thanks!

I'm also applying from the Peds side. I just got an interview invite from UPMC. I was surprised to get it so early, but yet I stalk my email daily.. good luck to all.

so excited to get my 1st interview from Mount Sinai NY! Anybody can share some info about this program? Good luck to all!

dont know much about the program, but I think Scott Sicherer is there. He is prolific in the literature, particularly in food allergy. Probably a good place to be if you wanna break into the AI literature.

I'm applying from the peds side of things as well. I applied to 23 programs. Received interview invitations from Vanderbilt and Pittsburgh so far...

Is it possible to do a research track residency combined with AI fellowship?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I would put my interview offers out there along with the offers that have been mentioned so far:

Vandy
NIH
Pittsburgh
UT Memphis
Mount Sinai

If people would like to message me privately, I would be happy to put up other people's offers. Also, has any received a rejection?

Ebenezer,

What were some things you did to prepare for applying to A/I? It sounds like most people pursue research to make themselves competitive for a fellowship, and they might present at conferences. Would letters from Big-Wigs help significantly?

thanx
sc:cool:

Cool,
I'm happy to answer your questions, but this isn't the right forum for it. Send me a message and I can.
-EW

Hi, guys-
Thanks everyone for keeping us posted about which programs have made offers! I'm applying from the Peds side as well, and applied to 28 programs. I have gotten interviews at UPMC and Ohio State. I avoided NY and Chicago, and did not apply to UT or the NIH. No rejections (yet), but I agree with srd4g9- I'm getting antsy, too!

-EW

Hi Everyone!
I applied to 19 programs- all on the east/west coasts. I have heard back from:
-mt sinai
-columbia
Thanks to everyone for contributing!

I applied to 35 programs--not sure what my chances are. Haven't head from anybody yet

USMLE 1,2,3: Passed on first attempt scores <80% (Horrible at standardized tests)

Presented at AAAAI 2012

Published 3 abstracts

Presented 2 posters at 4 meetings, 1 being AAAAI

Submitted an abstract to ACAAI 2012

Have two letters from A&I attendings, who have been around 20+ years

But now not sure if this is going to happen now...

Quick update

Vandy
NIH
Pittsburgh (is UPMC the same thing?)
UT Memphis
Mount Sinai
Columbia
OSH

To allergy, Congs! Those are wonderful programs. Are you from peds or IM side? When did you hear from NIH? I am really interested in NIH program, but so far, no interview or rejection yet. Do you mind sharing your background? I am from Peds side. I had a PhD and would like to do some research in immunodeficiency diseases.

Last edited:
To allergy, Congs! Those are wonderful programs. Are you from peds or IM side? When did you hear from NIH? I am really interested in NIH program, but so far, no interview or rejection yet. Do you mind sharing your background? I am from Peds side. I had a PhD and would like to do some research in immunodeficiency diseases.

littlekk, Just to be clear, I don't have interviews as all those programs. I was just trying to summarize what programs all members of this thread have listed. I think it early in the cycle yet, so I won't worry.

Guys, don't forget to register on NRMP..It's open for registration now!

I heard from Thom Jeff today... I wish all these programs had a set date that they had to extend interviews by... it would make the scheduling much easier!

From the IM side - interviews at Cleveland clinic and Henry Ford :)

At then end of two weeks, here is a recap of what places have offered interviews:

Vanderbilt
NIH
Pittsburgh (aka Pitt, aka UPMC)
UT Memphis
Mount Sinai
Columbia
OSU
Thomas Jefferson (in Philadelphia)
Cleveland Clinic
Henry Ford

Please add to the list...

Adding to the list:
Creighton University
For Thomas Jefferson..It really is from Delaware..I don't know if that's different from the Philadelphia program

From the peds side, heard from Virginia Commonwealth and Henry Ford this week. Anyone else with updates?

Good luck everybody :)

I am IMG , have applied to 35 programs , no interviews yet :(

I was looking around and noticed the dependency between the number of posts and views here compared to the other specialties. I complied them below as of just now. I suspect this means that AI is getting far few applicants than card, GI, HONC, and PulmCC (I'm not surprised). I am surprised that we are on par with Rheum. They say AI is competitive, but perhaps fewer people are applying this years. Any thoughts?

Specialty Posts Views
Cards 169 19,591
GI 190 18,212
Heme/Onc 142 18,273
Pulm CC 193 18,301
Nephro 45 3,980
Endo 88 6,490
Rheum 23 2,275
ID 27 2,653
AI 29 2,783

just heard back from

Thomas Jefferson/duPont-DE

Winthrop Hospital-NY

add Penn State to the list as well... Anyone hear any rejections yet?

Anyone hear back yet from any of the California programs?? Thusfar I have only heard back from some programs that are already listed on the East Coast/Midwest...

Current list (From posted and private messages). No one has posted any rejections.

Vanderbilt
NIH
UT Memphis
Mount Sinai
Columbia
OSU
Winthrop Hospital-NY
Cleveland Clinic
Henry Ford
Penn State
Cincinnati

Add UPenn to the list.

Anyone have any interview advice they've picked up from prior applicants that they could pass along?

Did anybody do the secondary form for USF (Tampa, FL)?

It feels like a repeat of the ERAS application..right?

You can Add University of Colorado Denver and USF to the list of programs offering interviews so far.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience (good, bad or indifferent) with the following programs: Ohio State, Penn State, Pittsburgh (UPMC)? Thanks

Now we are rolling. Seems like interview offers are flying left and right. No rejects to speak of (I don't think any program really needs to start rejecting anyone at this point).

Vanderbilt
NIH
UT Memphis
Mount Sinai
Columbia
OSU
Winthrop Hospital-NY
Cleveland Clinic
Henry Ford
Penn State
Cincinnati
University of Colorado Denver
USF
UPenn

Is U of Colorado Denver the same program as "National Jewish"?
How is scheduling going for people? I find some programs are more flexible than others.

Got my first rejection from Hopkins this morning... oh well.

Could someone tell me which allergy fellowships are particularly strong in research in primary immunodeficiencies (SCID, CVID)?

Thanks and good luck to you all
-Dr. P.

Yes, Universty of Colorado Denver is the same as the National Jewish program.

Heard from Emory today...

Anyone know of any forums/threads to get some more input about some of these programs...There are a number that I'd like to hear about people's experiences.. thanks

Heard from Baylor's pediatric A&I program today

Has anyone heard from any of the Boston programs yet or from Yale?