Official 2013-2014 Allergy/Immunology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Same here! I have had 2 interview invites, both of which came prior to this week. Seems like many of the southeastern programs have yet to offer interviews. I know Emory has offered invites. Anybody heard from UT-Memphis, Vanderbilt, Medical College of GA, USF Peds or IM, MS, UAB, Tulane, or LSU programs, or Ohio State?

Members don't see this ad.

Heard from Ohio State just yesterday. Have not heard from Vanderbilt or Medical College of GA either, and did not apply to the others you asked about.

Anybody what to talk a little about own background? any research experience? What the program is looking for?

THanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
USF Medicine AI interview offer today and recently discovered Tulane has offered interviews.

National Jewish (Denver) and UPMC
both on Medicine side

Anyone heard from MCW, Vanderbilt, UT-Memphis, UNC, SLU, Scripps (san diego)?

Vandy last week, they said interview slots are now filled (barring cancellations I assume)

National Jewish peds last week sent out invites.

Last edited:
University of Michigan can be added to the interview invite list

UCSD didn't fill in the match last year. I'll be interested to hear what they have to say about that.... please post any interview thoughts on the topic.

During the interview, the fellowship director said that they had offered a 2nd position for the first time as a trial; because they weren't sure they wanted to take on a second fellow, they didn't rank to match, as they didn't mind not filling that extra position. This year they're just offering the 1 position. It really seems like UCSD is focused on learning over service for the fellows, so they don't really seem to "need" the fellows around to get work done.

Anybody hear from UCSF?

Last edited:
University of Mississippi offered interviews today.

Members don't see this ad :)
What type of IV questions did they ask? Thanks.

Last edited:
What type of IV questions did they ask? Thanks.
I think basically what the questions boil down to is: why you're interested in allergy, any research or significant work you've done in the past, and why you're interested in their program

Has anyone heard from Sinai or UCSF? I think Duke's interviews have been out now for a bit, too.

Wake Forest offered interviews today:)

Winthrop sent an offer for October 4th, but I cannot go due to call schedule...just throwing that out there in case anyone is willing/able to trade to that date and wants to message me! :)

Duke
UT Southwestern

Interested in knowing if many programs send out rejections? I hate not knowing if I'm still in the running for more interviews. Also, how late are interviews offered? October?

I've starting emailing programs seeing if they've sent out interviews already and if they will be sending out more. They are nice enough to return the email letting me know that they've sent out all invites for the season, which is helpful.

Has anyone heard from the medical college of wisconsin (milwaukee)?

Anyone heard from UT Memphis, Georgia, or UAB?

Guys

why is the forum so quiet? anyone interviewed yet ? any tips?
Are programs still sending invites?
I emailed a few but no reply yet!

Please share thoughts

I just got a couple of interviews this week--I am confused about the programs choosing to send invites this late when a lot of interviews are already in place & finding coverage to fly places is becoming increasingly difficult.

I think there are still several programs that still haven't given out interviews or are doing so on a rolling basis--which makes me wonder whether they will be interviewing through the first week of November.

I've been on a handful of interviews so far and everyone at all the programs is (for the most part) very pleasant. I haven't had any bad experiences so far. I think that the competition for each slot is quite stiff, with programs interviewing 10-20 people for 1-2 slots, but it seems like there was slightly above average applications this year (90-100 I think, whereas last year it was closer to around 80).

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts. I think finding the perfect fitting program is going to be very hard with these types of odds, and every one of us is going to have to make a compromise on something which prevents the program we match at from being "perfect" (eg. many programs that have very strong research opportunities lack strong clinical training; those with strong clinical training are often combined with very very busy primary or consult services where service needs outweigh learning, etc.)

thanks a lot for sharing.
I also did two IVs so far and they both were also very pleasant and social, a lot about my research project so know that by heart. How many IVs should be considered safe for one to match? any idea? i know its not a magic number but just to say if one has x number then he/she might be safe?

Thanks again... awaiting thoughts from other ppl too.

MSIV MD/PhD student here - I am going into peds and I am interested in going into AI. I am hoping to match into a peds program with strong AI; particularly the immunology side of things. I was wondering if there is a place where i can find a list of strong AI programs or if you guys could tell me how the programs rank and such.

Good luck to everyone matching!

Hi Guys--anyone who's interviewed at CHOP--can you tell me how many faculty interviews you had that day and how many fellows you met with? Thanks!

Any thoughts on the National Jewish Adult Allergy Program? I heard first year of training is busy and you're abused. The program director is tough and hard to work with.

MS4 here applying to research pathway internal medicine residency + A/I fellowship. Also applying categorical IM, but its difficult to get an idea of the allergy fellowship in house without interviewing there. Can anyone comment on their interview impressions?
Specifically - National Jewish, UC San Diego, Vanderbilt, Yale, Emory, Pitt, Baylor, Scripps Green, UNC, UC Davis, UC Irvine
Less interested, but also - Thomas Jefferson, Boston U, Rush

MS4 here applying to research pathway internal medicine residency + A/I fellowship. Also applying categorical IM, but its difficult to get an idea of the allergy fellowship in house without interviewing there. Can anyone comment on their interview impressions?
Specifically - National Jewish, UC San Diego, Vanderbilt, Yale, Emory, Pitt, Baylor, Scripps Green, UNC, UC Davis, UC Irvine
Less interested, but also - Thomas Jefferson, Boston U, Rush
I was impressed with National Jewish, UNC and UC San Diego during the A/I fellowship interview process. UC San Diego emphasized bench research and had some exceptional principal investigators. They recently recruited an outstanding faculty member specializing in angioedema from UCLA. UNC is now a mandatory three year fellowship with knowledgeable and supportive faculty. They are well known for their work in food allergy research. National Jewish is a well oiled machine. They accept three fellows in internal medicine each year, compared to UCSD which has one slot for medicine or pediatric trained residents. The reputation of National Jewish will open a lot of doors for you in academic medicine when your fellowship is complete.

If you had to pick Cincinnati, national Jewish or Baylor for someone interested in basic science research and PID, how would you rank them?

So let's just say I didn't highly prefer the A/I match result I obtained and wanted to swap with someone who matched elsewhere. Could this be done? What if I knew this other person highly preferred my site and I had a higher preference for the other? If it could happen, we would both be happy. But I don't know if the other place ranked me or if my place ranked the other person. Anyone know if this kind of swapping occurs?

So let's just say I didn't highly prefer the A/I match result I obtained and wanted to swap with someone who matched elsewhere. Could this be done? What if I knew this other person highly preferred my site and I had a higher preference for the other? If it could happen, we would both be happy. But I don't know if the other place ranked me or if my place ranked the other person. Anyone know if this kind of swapping occurs?
This is theoretically possible but fraught with potential complications. I can't even imagine a good way to approach this with the programs. Not that you can't, just that you have to tread very carefully.