Official 2013-2014 Heme/Onc fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all,
How do you check the number of slots available for programs on the nrmp website?

Log into the R3 nrmp system, and look up the programs you are interested in. You can click "Hematology Oncology" and search all for a complete listing. The number of spots they are putting in the match are displayed in their list format.

Members don't see this ad.

i'm so torn - still undecided on who should be my number 1. If you received emails from 2 big name people from one of your top 2 programs, would you rank them higher than the other? Of course, given that your top 2 programs are both equal on training quality, reputation, location, etc.. what would you do?

what does that even mean? pick based on which you like more.. period.

Members don't see this ad :)
what does that even mean? pick based on which you like more.. period.
wish that was that easy.. i like them both.. there're pros and cons for both.. i was just hoping that someone here can hit some senses to me..

i'm so torn - still undecided on who should be my number 1. If you received emails from 2 big name people from one of your top 2 programs, would you rank them higher than the other? Of course, given that your top 2 programs are both equal on training quality, reputation, location, etc.. what would you do?

Choose the city that has better food

Hi Niviancer!! So u know ur first choice? at qv3755... I guess everybody is going through the same.. Certain uncertainty even if you chose your number one u may end up in the number 2.. So will see... I think I may end up in the middle of my list hoping we all made the right decision...

Hi,
I'm trying to decide my last few slots of rank order list and deciding which to rank above the other: Uconn or Louisiana State University (Shreveport)?

Any thoughts on which should be ranked higher among these two programs?

Last edited:
Hi,
I'm trying to decide my last few slots of rank order list and deciding which to rank above the other: Uconn or Louisiana State University (Shreveport)?

Any thoughts on which should be ranked higher among these two programs?
LSU Shreveport. I heard not so many good things from UConn people when they interviewed at my program.

Hi Niviancer!! So u know ur first choice? at qv3755... I guess everybody is going through the same.. Certain uncertainty even if you chose your number one u may end up in the number 2.. So will see... I think I may end up in the middle of my list hoping we all made the right decision...
I don't think you will end up in the middle of the pack.. more like your top 3. I have such positive feedback from my top 2s that created some uncertainties in my decision. I just don't want to hurt anybody feeling by telling them that they're second on my list (or top 2 on my list). Anyhow, my ROL is finalized. Hope no one has the last minute change of heart.

Appreciate inputs on my ROL
Still undifferentiated so looking for overall strong programs ; interested in basic/translational research
UCSF
UW-Seattle
UCSD
Mayo-Rochester
Columbia
Vanderbilt
BIDMC
Moffitt
UPMC
UNC
NCI/NIH
Fox Chase

If basic/translational research is your cup of tea, NCI/NIH should be number one on your list. After you build your resume there with the opportunities that you will have, you can pretty much write your own ticket to any of the places on your list. i cannot say the same about any other program on your list.. In order words, if you go to UCSF and do well, you will be highly sought after but you cannot write your own ticket to most of the places on that list. In order for you to write your own ticket, you have to be able to secure your own fundings.. and if you end up at the NCI/NIH, you will have the inside track to further increase your chance of landing your own grant. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Have followed this forum for a while, now looking for some ranking help...

Balancing geography and brand name. Interviewed all over the country including the big-name centers (MSKCC, MDACC, DFCI, Hutch); wasn't that impressed with some other programs in my most recent hometown. Liked BIDMC a lot, and it would be easier to live in the northeast than elsewhere. From the perspective of finding an academic job (solid tumor, not basic science) post-fellowship, to what degree would it be limiting to pick BI over some of those others?
i don't knnow too much about solid tumor. From what I know, finding an academic job will depend on how you will be able to land your own fundings either from the NIH/NCI or the pharmaceutical industry. More and more people are looking to the pharmaceutical industry for limited amount of fundings.. You will probably have to stay on as junior research faculty 1 or 2 year post fellowship training. Even at places like MD Anderson, their own fellows are having a hard time competing.. with most (40%) ended up doing private practices or as clinical staff. Again, you need to know what new projects will get you fundings.

Hi Gutonc and everyone! I am new on the forum, I have been following it as a guest in this season but this is my first post. I know its strange but I'm still undifferentiated between solids and heme malignancies, interested in academics but want to be clinically well trained also interested in clinical research. Any input regarding my ROL would be appreciated. I am confused specially about my 1st and second choice since I came to understanding that I will not get good clinical training at NCI/NIH. Thanks!

1. University of Maryland
2. NCI
3. Tulane Uni
4. University of West Virginia
5. University of Arizona (Tucson)
6. SUNY downstate
7. Roger Williams Cancer center
8. UF Jacksonville (Oncology only program)

I had the same question as you do but I recently came to my senses as I realized that there are really no big differences in the quality of the clinical training let say... if i go to MD Anderson vs. JHH vs. NCI/NIH vs. MSKCC, etc. etc... The reason is simple as this - pts who ended up at these places are either failed every possible treatments and are enrolled in clinical trials or go there because they can afford it. They want the best and biggest name doctors and so you will not have the opportunity to claim that patient as yours. There will be no continuity of care.. and everything that you do will probably have to go through these doctors. And so, the differences in clinical training between these top-notch institutions are very minimal.

Now, if you want excellent clinical training, you can go to places like NSLIHU because clinical is all that you do... You will get to follow your patients for 3 years.. I hope my rationale will make senses to you, too.

What I find most important in my final ranking is who's my mentor going to be since this is what will make or break your career. Most places that I interviewed with will try to match my career interest with the people that they have.. and the question I usually asked is how many people have they mentored and where did they end up?? So, after taking everything into consideration, I was able to decide what is best for me and hopefully, it will be the same for you and everyone here in this forum as well.

There are always other factors like family and location.. I hope everyone will make the best decision that they can live with..

Am I only one checking my Rank order list like thousand times today? I already certified it a week ago. As time is nearer, i am checking it multiple times again. If my applicant status is Green CERTIFIED, it is good right?

Match Computation ...........................................

Imagine that NRMP are the only one now who knows if and where we did match!!!

We will know in three weeks.. Hope all of us will match to our top choice.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone start receiving JNCCN or The Oncologist? I just got one to my home address (not my NRMP address). Just curious what body signed us up for these (or maybe I did it without remembering).

Reactions: 1 user
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I am sure most of us are a little stressed out..in a few more days hopefully we will be thankful to continue our training in hem Onc!
I met awesome people on the interview trail, wonderful HemOnc physicians in the making!
Best!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I am sure most of us are a little stressed out..in a few more days hopefully we will be thankful to continue our training in hem Onc!
I met awesome people on the interview trail, wonderful HemOnc physicians in the making!
Best!
Happy Thanksgiving. Fingers crossed :)

matched at my number one choice! Yay! So duper super happy!!

Thank you everyone (especially Gutonc) for all your help and support. Best of luck to you all. Unfortunately, we still have to be ICU doctors or cardiologists for 7 more months.

Last edited:
Matched! So happy and blessed.
Thanks to everyone for making this forum to be a great resource. What a journey!

Matched! Thanks to everyone, this forum rocks. Gutonc you are the best!

Barnes-Jewish/Wash U! Congrats to everyone!

For future applicants, here are some other programs I visited that were friendly about sponsoring my H1B visa: UPMC, Temple/Fox Chase Cancer Center, Vanderbilt, Emory, Albert Einstein Montefiore, Rush, Brown, Cook County

Congratulations btwnraindrops

Did you feel that you were in anyway limited by your H1B during this fellowship application process/were there programs that explicitly do not interview H1B/J1? If so, were those programs the minority of the programs or the majority?

Been hearing many different stories about the visa issue ranging from it being a non-issue to it closing every door because of NIH funding issues...had posted question on the sdn international forum asking but no replies so far...

Thanks very much and congratulations!

Barnes-Jewish/Wash U! Congrats to everyone!

For future applicants, here are some other programs I visited that were friendly about sponsoring my H1B visa: UPMC, Temple/Fox Chase Cancer Center, Vanderbilt, Emory, Albert Einstein Montefiore, Rush, Brown, Cook County

Did you feel that you were in anyway limited by your H1B during this fellowship application process/were there programs that explicitly do not interview H1B/J1? If so, were those programs the minority of the programs or the majority?

Been hearing many different stories about the visa issue ranging from it being a non-issue to it closing every door because of NIH funding issues...had posted question on the sdn international forum asking but no replies so far...

I can help with that. Having Visa issues definitely affects your interviews. Overall J1 is better than H1. Does it close all doors? no it doesn't, but it also depends on your CV and the rest of your application.

Example:
1-IMG needs visa, moderate USMLEs, residency in community program, no research (or just a couple of posters) --> real problems getting interviews
2-IMG needs visa, decent USMLEs, residency in strong community or mid-tier university program, some research (1-2 peer-reviews pubs, 1-2 abstracts, 1-2 posters) --> will get good numbers of interviews and will likely match in a mid to low tier program.
3-IMG needs visa, impressive USMLEs (>260s), residency in decent university program, good research (3-4 first author pubs in both basic and clinical, 3-4 abstracts, 3-4 posters ..etc) --> no problem at all getting interviews and will definitely match in a decent program (not MDACC or MSKCC or DFCI)

other things to keep in mind: forget about the west coast, LORs also matter especially from your IM PD.

Matched at the NCI. Thank you Gutonc for your thoughtful advice. Hi, qv3755 and spitfire30. I will look forward to meeting both of you next year!

• :nod::thumbup::)Matched at University Hospital/CWR . Congratulations to all of us who matched!
  • For all who did not match I have been there..and it is heart
  • breaking.., but please keep trying, this was my 3d attempt! at the end, perseverance and hard work will pay off.

Thank you visari! This is really great information and clears up a lot of things
When you say "forget about the west coast", do you mean because places like cali are extremely desirable places to live and so are extremely competitive even amongst Americans or do you mean because programs on the west explicitly do not give spots to H1/J1 applicants? Same with what you said about "not MDACC or MSKCC or DFCI"-- because they are extremely competitive even for Americans or because they specifically say they do not take H1/J1 applicants due to funding?
Congratulations everyone, and am really glad that it worked out for you guys, visa-needing or not

I can help with that. Having Visa issues definitely affects your interviews. Overall J1 is better than H1. Does it close all doors? no it doesn't, but it also depends on your CV and the rest of your application.

Example:
1-IMG needs visa, moderate USMLEs, residency in community program, no research (or just a couple of posters) --> real problems getting interviews
2-IMG needs visa, decent USMLEs, residency in strong community or mid-tier university program, some research (1-2 peer-reviews pubs, 1-2 abstracts, 1-2 posters) --> will get good numbers of interviews and will likely match in a mid to low tier program.
3-IMG needs visa, impressive USMLEs (>260s), residency in decent university program, good research (3-4 first author pubs in both basic and clinical, 3-4 abstracts, 3-4 posters ..etc) --> no problem at all getting interviews and will definitely match in a decent program (not MDACC or MSKCC or DFCI)

other things to keep in mind: forget about the west coast, LORs also matter especially from your IM PD.

Thank you visari! This is really great information and clears up a lot of things
When you say "forget about the west coast", do you mean because places like cali are extremely desirable places to live and so are extremely competitive even amongst Americans or do you mean because programs on the west explicitly do not give spots to H1/J1 applicants? Same with what you said about "not MDACC or MSKCC or DFCI"-- because they are extremely competitive even for Americans or because they specifically say they do not take H1/J1 applicants due to funding?
Congratulations everyone, and am really glad that it worked out for you guys, visa-needing or not

Regarding the first part of your question about the west coast: I would say both, west coast programs are very competitive even for AMGs because they are good programs and for the location, and they also have funding restrictions so they cannot sponsor visas. So if you need a visa, it's a waste of your money applying to UCLA, UCSF, OHSU, UW, stanford, UCSD. You are gonna be filtered out before anyone even looks at your application.

Regarding the top 4-5 programs like MDACC or MSKCC they don't have very strict funding restrictions and they can sponsor visas. But as for an IMG needing visa to match there you have to be out of this world (MD, PhD with +15 real research papers first author or something crazy like that)

Thanks, rezdent! I definitely felt that my options were limited because of my H1B status. Many programs will automatically filter you out due to that, likely due in part to NIH funding issues. And Visari is right regarding the West Coast--I called or looked into H1B sponsorship policies for almost every program on the West Coast and the only program that said they would sponsor it this season was Loma Linda. Other places (Tufts, for instance) offered me interviews, but during the interview made it seem like my H1B status was a big deficit and gave off the impression that it would be a great hassle for them to sponsor it. Despite all this, I managed to find 30 programs to apply to that will technically consider H1B visas, and got 12 interviews. I'm not exactly sure about how it works with J1, but I think there are way more programs that would be willing to sponsor it. Hope this helps and good luck!