Official 2013-2014 Heme/Onc fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Please help with my top 2 as I'm still undecided after attending all of my interviews. NCI/NIH vs. Fred Hutchinson?
Flip a coin or choose on location. You're cool either way.

UW for clinical experience (with excellent research), NCI for research (with really good clinical options).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll play, would enjoy feedback about my list, plan to do GU oncology.

Sloan
Yale
Cleveland Clinic
Hopkins
UNC
Duke
Pitt
Fox Chase
Jefferson
why Hopkins so low on your list? they have some of the smartest people around.. I would consider it higher rank than Sloan but I can only speak from a malignant heme perspective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please help with my top 2 as I'm still undecided after attending all of my interviews. NCI/NIH vs. Fred Hutchinson?
If not sure about future plans I would put Seattle on top.

What was the interview day like at Buffalo?

Just like you did.
I didn't really rank it. did you mean Karmanos > Tuft > Tulane > UVA > MUSC? now, I was really impressed with MUSC on how they conducted their interview. MUSC is also going to be a comprehensive NCI center in a couple of year. UVA is working toward that goal but they're further away. I'm not sure about Tulane achieving its comprehensive status.. I believe Tuft and Karmanos are already comprehensive NCI center status quo.

If not sure about future plans I would put Seattle on top.

What was the interview day like at Buffalo?
somewhat unorganized and don't really care for too much about making an impression. Roswell is definitely not the number rank cancer center in the world to run the IV the way that they do.. even for some of the top programs I attended, they were so down to earth but it's really night and day. Never had two faculties interviewed me all at once in 20 minutes and then repeat the process with another 2 faculties asking almost identical questions.. how do they really get to a know a candidate that way? and the same for the applicant who really want to know more about their program. There's also a good hour or two wait in between IV sessions.

I would rank UWash > NCI > Karmanos > Tufts > UVA ~ MUSC ~ Tulane.

I've found the more competitive programs have been more friendly and accommodating. Almost like in a nyah nyah you cant have us manner haha.

I didn't really rank it. did you mean Karmanos > Tuft > Tulane > UVA > MUSC? now, I was really impressed with MUSC on how they conducted their interview. MUSC is also going to be a comprehensive NCI center in a couple of year. UVA is working toward that goal but they're further away. I'm not sure about Tulane achieving its comprehensive status.. I believe Tuft and Karmanos are already comprehensive NCI center status quo.
sorry, Tuft is neither NCI designated center nor comprehensive cancer center

Hello everyone, I am new on the forum though I have frequented it as a guest in the past. I know its odd but I'm still kinda undifferentiated-still 50/50 between solids and heme malig, interested in academics and clinical research. Any input re: my ROL would be appreciated. Thanks
1. Wash U
2. Yale
3. UAB
4. UW
5. TJUH
6. UIC
7. U of Iowa
8. Boston U

I would rank UW>UAB and UIC>TJUH.

Appreciate inputs on my ROL
Still undifferentiated so looking for overall strong programs ; interested in basic/translational research
UCSF
UW-Seattle
UCSD
Mayo-Rochester
Columbia
Vanderbilt
BIDMC
Moffitt
UPMC
UNC
NCI/NIH
Fox Chase

Still undifferentiated so looking for overall strong programs ; interested in basic/translational research
UCSF
UW-Seattle
UCSD
Mayo-Rochester
Columbia
Vanderbilt
BIDMC
Moffitt
UPMC
UNC
NCI/NIH
Fox Chase

With your list, you don't really need to rank all 12. You will match probably in your top 3. Here's my top 3 from your list - NCI/NIH > BIDMC > UCSF

Members don't see this ad :)
UCSF
UW-Seattle
UCSD
Mayo-Rochester
Columbia
Vanderbilt
BIDMC
Moffitt
UPMC
UNC
NCI/NIH
Fox Chase

I think the way you have it is great. West coast centric obviously. For the East Coast programs, UPMC seems a little low but that's nit picking!

Does anyone know when fellowship programs need to have their rank list completed by?

Wondering on some thoughts as I try to differentiate the programs I have all liked that are at the top of my list.

I am interested in strong training in Heme & Onc and am interested in translational/clinical research. I don't really have a geographic preference as I'm willing to move.

Any ideas? Should I just rank based on where I want to live?

Last edited:
Haha with a list like that I would say yes.. based on location. UCSF and Hopkins would be the top of that list if it were mine.

Having some trouble with parts of my list:

Baylor vs. Utah vs. Umdnj vs. MUSC

Thoughts?

Utah > Baylor ~ RWJ (I assume) > MUSC

Issue with RWJ is 6 months of research allotted. Their schedule makes it possible I guess because it's got a lot of outpatient, but 6 months is really sparse.

Hello all - hope your season went well.

Gutonc and anyone who may want to weigh in, wondering if any thoughts on how you would rank these NYC programs - Columbia, Cornell, NYU, and Sinai. I'm leaning solids (but want well-balanced clinical exposure) and interested in clinical research. Thanks in advance.

Hello all,

Can you please help me with this part of my ranking list. I am an IMG with Visa.
Uni of Miami
Umass
Baylor
Uni of Cincinnati
Cooper
Tulane
Allegheny Hospital

Thank you

Hello all - hope your season went well.

Gutonc and anyone who may want to weigh in, wondering if any thoughts on how you would rank these NYC programs - Columbia, Cornell, NYU, and Sinai. I'm leaning solids (but want well-balanced clinical exposure) and interested in clinical research. Thanks in advance.
Columbia
MSSM
Cornell
Wouldn't even rank NYU personally

Hello all,

Can you please help me with this part of my ranking list. I am an IMG with Visa.
Uni of Miami
Umass
Baylor
Uni of Cincinnati
Cooper
Tulane
Allegheny Hospital

Thank you
Which part of your list is this? Top? Middle? Bottom?

Baylor (assuming this is real Baylor, if it's Fake Baylor, it should be down in the bottom 1/3)
UMass
UCinn
Miami
Tulane
AGH/Cooper - flip a coin (and if you're adding Fake Baylor down here, flip a coin again)

Would appreciate any input on my rank order list. I am an IMG with a J1 visa. I am still confused about whether to rank GW over Drexel and whether to rank SUNY downstate over Louisiana State University. Would appreciate any advice especially between those four.

(from top to bottom)
Baylor houston
BU
GW
Drexel
Uconn
SUNY downstate
Louisiana State University

Would appreciate any input on my rank order list. I am an IMG with a J1 visa. I am still confused about whether to rank GW over Drexel and whether to rank SUNY downstate over Louisiana State University. Would appreciate any advice especially between those four.

(from top to bottom)
Baylor houston
BU
GW
Drexel
Uconn
SUNY downstate
Louisiana State University
I like it more or less as is.

Re: GW/Drexel - Choose based on Philly vs DC
And put Downstate at the bottom.

Hey gutonc any thoughts on how you would rank the top of my list. I'd appreciate it. Do you think they are equally strong clinically and research wise in all areas? I know UW is more BMT heavy. Thanks for your help.

Any thoughts on this ROL -IMG on H1 with solids GI interest
JHH
Roswell park
Nebraska
Arizona
Miami
Howard DC
Staten island
Univ Vermont
Gundersen
Oschner med onc
Slu
Drexel
Cooper

Just curious, has anyone received any emails from programs expressing interest in them?

Any thoughts on this ROL -IMG on H1 with solids GI interest
JHH
Roswell park
Nebraska
Arizona
Miami
Howard DC
Staten island
Univ Vermont
Gundersen
Oschner med onc
Slu
Drexel
Cooper
SIUH should be at the bottom of your list (or even off of it). Otherwise it looks fine.

Have followed this forum for a while, now looking for some ranking help...

Balancing geography and brand name. Interviewed all over the country including the big-name centers (MSKCC, MDACC, DFCI, Hutch); wasn't that impressed with some other programs in my most recent hometown. Liked BIDMC a lot, and it would be easier to live in the northeast than elsewhere. From the perspective of finding an academic job (solid tumor, not basic science) post-fellowship, to what degree would it be limiting to pick BI over some of those others?

At the level you're talking about, your future is going to be based more on you than on where you go for fellowship. It might be a little limiting, but not so much that it's worth worrying about.

Still confused about ranking my programs. I'm interested in solids. no basic science interest whatsoever. What I want is good clinical training with decent clinical research experience. I don't have geographical preference but if the differences are subtle I would go for the bigger warmer city. could someone please comment on these programs and help me rank them based on my interests.

1-Boston university
2-Pittsburgh U
3-Arkansas
4-Colorado
5-Georgetown
6-Emory
7-Tufts
8-Ann Arbor
9-MUSC
10-Ohio state
11-Jefferson
12-Baylor
13-Utah
14-Cincinnati
15-Miami

Any help is appreciated! any program really stands out? any program should be totally off the list?

Still confused about ranking my programs. I'm interested in solids. no basic science interest whatsoever. What I want is good clinical training with decent clinical research experience. I don't have geographical preference but if the differences are subtle I would go for the bigger warmer city. could someone please comment on these programs and help me rank them based on my interests.

1-Boston university
2-Pittsburgh U
3-Arkansas
4-Colorado
5-Georgetown
6-Emory
7-Tufts
8-Ann Arbor
9-MUSC
10-Ohio state
11-Jefferson
12-Baylor
13-Utah
14-Cincinnati
15-Miami

Any help is appreciated! any program really stands out? any program should be totally off the list?
Is this the way you'd rank them or just a list and we're supposed to figure it out? Because that's important.

With your list, you don't really need to rank all 12. You will match probably in your top 3. Here's my top 3 from your list - NCI/NIH > BIDMC > UCSF
Thanks Qv :)
I think the way you have it is great. West coast centric obviously. For the East Coast programs, UPMC seems a little low but that's nit picking!
thanks Niviancer :)

UCSF
UW-Seattle
UCSD
Mayo-Rochester
Columbia
Vanderbilt
BIDMC
Moffitt
UPMC
UNC
NCI/NIH
Fox Chase
Hi gutonc do you see anything crazy on this?

Is this the way you'd rank them or just a list and we're supposed to figure it out? Because that's important.

Sorry that was just a list. I currently have them ranked like this (top to bottom):

Ann Arbor
ohio state
Pittsburgh
boston U
colorado
emory
georgetown
utah
baylor
Jefferson
tufts
MUSC
arkansas
cincinnati
miami

While I feel sort of comfortable about the lower part of the list, I'm so confused about the top part. My interviews in the top 6-7 programs were very generic and I couldn't come up with an impression about the program or the fellows, especially in regards to clinical training in solid oncology. I don't know anyone currently training there or recently graduated. If anyone is familiar with the friendliness and clinical training of any of those programs, please help!

Sorry that was just a list. I currently have them ranked like this (top to bottom):

Ann Arbor
ohio state
Pittsburgh
boston U
colorado
emory
georgetown
utah
baylor
Jefferson
tufts
MUSC
arkansas
cincinnati
miami

While I feel sort of comfortable about the lower part of the list, I'm so confused about the top part. My interviews in the top 6-7 programs were very generic and I couldn't come up with an impression about the program or the fellows, especially in regards to clinical training in solid oncology. I don't know anyone currently training there or recently graduated. If anyone is familiar with the friendliness and clinical training of any of those programs, please help!

Colorado and Utah seem low, but I can understand not wanting to live there. Similarly Boston U seems high but I got a good feel there as well (and Boston ain't bad..)

Ann Arbor
ohio state
Pittsburgh
boston U
colorado
emory
georgetown
utah
baylor
Jefferson
tufts
MUSC
arkansas
cincinnati
miami

I would rank Utah above Colorado and BU if you don't have a geography preference. BU suffers from being around the biggies in the area. MUSC and Miami above Jefferson for sure.

Ann Arbor
ohio state
Pittsburgh
boston U
colorado
emory
georgetown
utah
baylor
Jefferson
tufts
MUSC
arkansas
cincinnati
miami
Swap BU and Utah and your list is awesome.

Best wishes to all going through this difficult ranking process. Trying to balance location vs. research opportunities in my areas of interest. Deciding #2 vs. #3 is going to be a challenge.

(1) DFCI/MGH
(2-tie) MSKCC
(2-tie) BIDMC
(4) UPenn

Not ranking anywhere else.

Last edited:
Hi Gutonc. Could you please comment on my final rank order list? I made adjustment on my previous rank order list. I am intersted in solid tumor oncology, more so in GI oncology. I plan to do translational/clinical research. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1. NCI
2. Vanderbilt
3. UNC
4. Weill-Cornell (NYP hospital)
5. OSU
6. FCCC/Temple
7. Georgetown
8. UAB
9. U Minn
10. Baylor College of Medicine
11. UTSW
12. Indiana

Why is UTSW so low on your list? I will put it somewhere close to UNC, probably above Cornell. -- my two cents.

Hi Gutonc. Could you please comment on my final rank order list? I made adjustment on my previous rank order list. I am intersted in solid tumor oncology, more so in GI oncology. I plan to do translational/clinical research. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

1. NCI
2. Vanderbilt
3. UNC
5. OSU
6. FCCC/Temple
7. Georgetown
8. UAB
9. U Minn
11. UTSW
12. Indiana

Similarly, why is Georgetown so high? Didn't get a great impression.

1. NCI
2. Vanderbilt
3. UNC
5. OSU
6. FCCC/Temple
7. Georgetown
8. UAB
9. U Minn
11. UTSW
12. Indiana

Hi Gutonc and everyone! I am new on the forum, I have been following it as a guest in this season but this is my first post. I know its strange but I'm still undifferentiated between solids and heme malignancies, interested in academics but want to be clinically well trained also interested in clinical research. Any input regarding my ROL would be appreciated. I am confused specially about my 1st and second choice since I came to understanding that I will not get good clinical training at NCI/NIH. Thanks!

1. University of Maryland
2. NCI
3. Tulane Uni
4. University of West Virginia
5. University of Arizona (Tucson)
6. SUNY downstate
7. Roger Williams Cancer center
8. UF Jacksonville (Oncology only program)

1. NCI
2. Vanderbilt
3. UNC
5. OSU
6. FCCC/Temple
7. Georgetown
8. UAB
9. U Minn
11. UTSW
12. Indiana
If you really want to do GI Onc, you need to have OSU as your #1 out of that list. They have the 2nd busiest GI Onc program in the country (3rd if you combine all the HMS affiliated fellowships). Vandy's good as your #2. GT, for all it's other issues, is also solid in GI onc. UTSW should probably be higher but it's a little to "Texas-y" for me so I understand why it's low. Cornell is weak in solids in general so I'd bump it down lower. My top 5 out of that list (with GI Onc as the goal) would go:
OSU
Vandy
UNC
NCI
GT

Hi Gutonc and everyone! I am new on the forum, I have been following it as a guest in this season but this is my first post. I know its strange but I'm still undifferentiated between solids and heme malignancies, interested in academics but want to be clinically well trained also interested in clinical research. Any input regarding my ROL would be appreciated. I am confused specially about my 1st and second choice since I came to understanding that I will not get good clinical training at NCI/NIH. Thanks!

1. University of Maryland
2. NCI
3. Tulane Uni
4. University of West Virginia
5. University of Arizona (Tucson)
6. SUNY downstate
7. Roger Williams Cancer center
8. UF Jacksonville (Oncology only program)
Move Brown to somewhere in the 3-5 range (and put Downstate last) and I like it.

I think Brown and Roger Williams are separate (or at least RW has their own program).