**Official 2013 Orthodontic Match/Non-Match Results**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2012Ortho

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post your news! Here's the format:
Even if you did not have a successful year please post your results to help others.

Name:
Where:
Dental School Attended:
Year Earned DMD/DDS:
International Student (yes/no):
NBDE Part I/II scores:
GRE Score:
Class Rank:
Match/Non-Match:
Externship(s)/where:
Research:
Extracurriculars:
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:

Members don't see this ad.

Best of luck to everyone!

Has anyone heard if Maimonides has offered away their spots? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Where: UIC
Dental School Attended: Southern Illinois
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2011
International Student (yes/no): no
NBDE Part I/II scores: 88/83
GRE Score: don't remember the actual numbers; good in english, crappy in math, average in writing
Class Rank: 18/51
Match/Non-Match: Match
Externship(s)/where: none
Research: none in dental school, lots of small projects in undergrad
Extracurriculars: ASDA, Psi-Omega, Student Council, Give Kids A Smile, Illinois Mission of Mercy, a couple of dental mission trips, lots of forced "volunteering" at community dentistry events in dental school, Young Professionals
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 21/2/2/2

Where: NYU
Dental School Attended: NYU
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2012
NBDE Part I/II scores: 85/PASS
GRE Score: none
Class Rank:13/233
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: Small projects during dental school
Extracurriculars: Ortho honors, peds, peer teaching, various other clubs
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 10/3/3/2

I just want to thank those of you who have posted your stats and particularly for posting them today, the day of the Match. There are many ortho wanna-be's who look forward to the match every year pretending to be in your shoes. Thank you for posting, and for not making us wait a week or more for your stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bring on the info! Open ears here....
Congrats btw!

Name: no
Where: UMDNJ
Dental School Attended: NYU
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2013
NBDE Part I/II scores: 91/?
GRE Score: verb 164, quant 168, essay 4
Class Rank: 4/228
Match/Non-Match: match
Research: small projects, none published
Extracurriculars: tons
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 16/7/7/7

post people

Name: nope
Where: nope
Dental School Attended: nope
NBDE Part I/II scores: 88/pass
GRE Score: verb 160, quant 161, essay 5.5
Class Rank: 4/70
Match/Non-Match:
Research: small projects
Extracurriculars: quite a bit, but I don't think it matter much
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: applied 25 and 13 invites

Last edited:
Dental School Attended: Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona CA
NBDE Part I/II scores: 89/Pass
GRE Score: 1240 4.5
Class Rank: 9/69
Match/Non-Match: non-match
Externship(s)/where: 2 Externships (not at accepted school)
Research: 2 posters CBCT and Autism, 1 manuscript in press on CBCT, presenting animal study for orthodontic tooth movement at AADR in 2013, all first author.
Extracurriculars: ASDA, lots of teaching, community service, ortho "internship" during dental school in a private office.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked:
7 interviews mostly west coast.

Where: Detroit Mercy
Dental School Attended: Tufts
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2009
NBDE Part I/II scores: 88/90
GRE Score: 161 verbal, 163 math, 3.5 writing (hah..dismal writing, you'd think english isn't my first language.)
Class Rank: 15/160something
Match/Non-Match: match
Externship(s)/where: did one while I was in dental school at a community dental clinic
Research: none in undergrad or d school. did research for a year with an ortho dept, published a paper, poster presented at speech motor conference
Extracurriculars: student teacher at Tufts, taught in the d school clinic part time while working in private practice, participating clinician for smiles for success
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 17/2/2/2

You'll find that people's stats are all over the place. I'm still not sure what schools are looking for. And yes, you'll find the application process daunting. It's intimidating when someone has a bazillion interviews and you have 1-2 but all you actually need is 1 in the end. Be yourself and if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. If it doesn't work out, work on strengthening your CV and reapply next year. And always have an alternate plan.

Reactions: 1 user
Where: University of Tennessee!!
Dental School Attended: UT Houston
International Student (yes/no): Nope
NBDE Part I/II scores: 95/?
GRE Score: Math 170, Verbal 163, Writing 4 (No se habla Ingles)
Class Rank: 9/86 (when I applied)
Externship(s)/where: None
Research: Minimal. Nothing published.
Extracurriculars: IM sports. A few clubs. Nothing major.
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 7/4/4/3

If you'd also like my SS#, birthdate, home address or anything else you may need to steal my identity just let me know! Just messing. Congrats to everyone who matched -- especially those of you I got to meet along the interview trail. See ya at GORP. Good luck to all future applicants!!

You'll find that people's stats are all over the place. I'm still not sure what schools are looking for. And yes, you'll find the application process daunting. It's intimidating when someone has a bazillion interviews and you have 1-2 but all you actually need is 1 in the end. Be yourself and if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. If it doesn't work out, work on strengthening your CV and reapply next year. And always have an alternate plan.

I totally agree with this statement. As you can see above, on paper, I am not a stellar applicant, and was truly shocked by my match result. I have ZERO connections or contacts at UIC ortho, and was sure my chances of not matching were greater than my chances of matching at UIC.

Where: Saint Louis University, Missouri
Dental School Attended: Nova Southeastern U
Year Earned DMD/DDS: DMD 2013
International Student (yes/no): No
NBDE Part I/II scores: 89/?
GRE Score: 162 eng / 155 math / 4 writing
Class Rank: 10/128
Externship(s)/where: VCU
Research: 2 published papers in undergrad, One project in dentl school (presented at ADA/Dentsply)
Extracurriculars: ASDA Ethics Chair, SPEA President, Assistant Scoutmaster, Audiovisual Technician, Quality Improvement Commmittee, Etc, etc, etc
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 25/7(one non-match)/6

An interesting point in my personal statement kept coming up at interviews--they definitely read the statement to see if they're interested in meeting you at an interview.

Last edited:
Where: Somewhere in Northeast
Dental School Attended: --
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2011
NBDE Part I/II scores: 90/doesnt matter and never will
GRE Score: never took it
Class Rank: top 20%
Externship(s)/where: 2
Research: 1 published paper in D school
Extracurriculars: tons
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 14/ 2 / 2 / 1

Ranked one school and matched. What does this tell you? If you are a good fit for the program and the program is a good fit for you, rank it high! Very glad that this process is over.

Ranked one school and matched. What does this tell you? If you are a good fit for the program and the program is a good fit for you, rank it high! Very glad that this process is over.

No, this tells you that you are extremely lucky. There are more good fit candidates than there are spots.

Last edited:
I am wondering how would you define a more "fit" candidate.

A fit candidate is, at minimum, one that shows up as required, does his/her share of assigned workload, shares knowledge and information with coresidents, and is a generally pleasant person to be around. Really there is nothing special about orthodontic training that limits it to only the candidates with the highest scores applying. We all learned to be dentists in dental school, why couldn't we all learn to be orthodontists or oral surgeons or endodontists if we wanted to? The limiting factor is the number of residency spots available. One evening of judging people based on their interactions at a social gathering is nothing but a popularity contest. It is not an accurate judgement of whether or not someone is cut out to be an orthodontist.

At the end of the day, all ortho residents are there to earn their certificates, graduate, and go about their careers. It should not matter if you become BFFs with your co-residents, but many interviews made it seem like that was the most important thing about getting in.

Last edited:
Please don't get me wrong. I completely understand where you are coming from (I am not sure about your status. Are you interested in Ortho or other specialties?). I was dead disappointed after 11 rejections/no interviews out of 12 programs that I applied to. Based on other posts, I am not the only one with 1-2 interviews that matched. I was exactly thinking like you. I am still thinking that your statement is true to some degree. I was lucky enough to get one interview and I never tried to show that I would become the best "BFF". It worked out for me and I am sure that you will find your way. It just hurts to go through it.

Good luck-

I am an Orthodontist, been out for over 3 years now. I read this board mainly to shake my head at the misinformation that still circulates out there. And I am a bit surprised that this thread is mostly those with 1 or 2 interviews posting match success stories. Where are the 10 - 11 interview and stat rockstars? Maybe they're not on SDN. Or there are just so many ortho spots these days, ortho isn't what it used to be. Maybe pedo is the new ortho.

Last edited:
I am an Orthodontist, been out for over 3 years now. I read this board mainly to shake my head at the misinformation that still circulates out there. And I am a bit surprised that this thread is mostly those with 1 or 2 interviews posting match success stories. Where are the 10 - 11 interview and stat rockstars? Maybe they're not on SDN. Or there are just so many ortho spots these days, ortho isn't what it used to be. Maybe pedo is the new ortho.

I've been following the Ortho Match results since 2005 and it's definitely not the same anymore. I think it's the economy.

Last edited:

Last edited:

maybe the dental school students who matched and had 90+ board scores are now busy trying to graduate from dental school.

I think that the NBDE became significantly harder the last two years when a numerical score was still achievable. I think this year's trend of matched applicants' scores seem to confirm this. There were only two people in my entire class who broke 90. It was definitely easier to do this five years ago.

Spaceman-- I took the exam almost four years ago and part 2 was a beast then too.

Reapplicants/orthodontists: Any suggestions for reapplicants for next year? There isn't much time to become more competitive. Thoughts?

I think that the NBDE became significantly harder the last two years when a numerical score was still achievable. I think this year's trend of matched applicants' scores seem to confirm this. There were only two people in my entire class who broke 90. It was definitely easier to do this five years ago.

anyone hear back from the program they matched at yet??
according to MATCH website the program directors "Program directors of ORTHO and ANES programs must send letters of confirmation of the Match result for Phase I to matched applicants within 10 days of the release of the Match results. Applicants must sign and return the letters of confirmation within 30 days of the release of the Match results" but I haven't received anything yet!! :confused:

anyone hear back from the program they matched at yet??
according to MATCH website the program directors "Program directors of ORTHO and ANES programs must send letters of confirmation of the Match result for Phase I to matched applicants within 10 days of the release of the Match results. Applicants must sign and return the letters of confirmation within 30 days of the release of the Match results" but I haven't received anything yet!! :confused:

I got an email from them after about a week..

Michigan this year was 6/6 for Match (100% match success) and one pre-Match acceptance. There will be 7 from Michigan for Orthodontics next year. Go Blue!

It's getting really cold in here.. Any body? I feel so lonely..

Where: Roseman University
Dental School Attended: ________
Year Earned DMD/DDS:2013
NBDE Part I/II scores: 87
GRE Score: Verbal 161 Quant 159 Writing 4
Class Rank: 24/111
Match/Non-Match: Non-Match
Externship(s)/where: 5 externships, did not receive an interview at any of them
Research: Very little summer research, nothing published, no posters
Extracurriculars: A lot of dental school and non dental activities
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 36/5/5/2 Got into two non match schools

Last edited:
2012 ortho: you mind telling us where you went to dental school?

I'm amazed how many people matched with scores in the 80's. I remember when I applied 3-4 years ago with a score of 94, my score was on the lower end compared to my classmates with scores in the high 90's. This more recent cycle I saw many candidates with scores in the high 80's scoring lots of interviews and at good programs too. I simply don't understand it.

I'm amazed how many people matched with scores in the 80's. I remember when I applied 3-4 years ago with a score of 94, my score was on the lower end compared to my classmates with scores in the high 90's. This more recent cycle I saw many candidates with scores in the high 80's scoring lots of interviews and at good programs too. I simply don't understand it.

Part 1 changed

The exam became significantly harder in recent years. The exams before 2009 are cake.