**Official 2013 Orthodontic Match/Non-Match Results**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The exam became significantly harder in recent years. The exams before 2009 are cake.

But from the handful who posted on the OMS thread, there are more 90+ candidates getting in over there than on this thread.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm amazed how many people matched with scores in the 80's. I remember when I applied 3-4 years ago with a score of 94, my score was on the lower end compared to my classmates with scores in the high 90's. This more recent cycle I saw many candidates with scores in the high 80's scoring lots of interviews and at good programs too. I simply don't understand it.

It seems like you think that only people who get high NBDE scores are the only people who deserve Ortho. I feel sorry for you that you have such an attitude and just insult many of us here. There are simply explanation why you didn't see what you expected to see here such as: people who get 90+ didn't participate in this thread since there are hundreds of successful matching or non-matching people but only a few are willing to share their stats; this also the same reason that I didn't put mine up coz I don't wanna be judged by someone like you. Or people with 90+ just cannot get through the interview for some reasons, who knows? Or whatever...
By the way, NBDE score doesn't guarantee any success in the program, it just stated that you used to work hard on it in the past which might be a preferable character. That's all.

It seems like you think that only people who get high NBDE scores are the only people who deserve Ortho. I feel sorry for you that you have such an attitude and just insult many of us here. There are simply explanation why you didn't see what you expected to see here such as: people who get 90+ didn't participate in this thread since there are hundreds of successful matching or non-matching people but only a few are willing to share their stats; this also the same reason that I didn't put mine up coz I don't wanna be judged by someone like you. Or people with 90+ just cannot get through the interview for some reasons, who knows? Or whatever...
By the way, NBDE score doesn't guarantee any success in the program, it just stated that you used to work hard on it in the past which might be a preferable character. That's all.

I'm not too concerned with people thinking I'm worthy or unworthy of getting into ortho. The fact of it is that I worked part-time through dental school and I didn't plan to specialize. I also didn't study as hard as I could have but I didn't want to spend 4 years of my life doing nothing but studying.

Btw..I posted my stats..88/90..and I matched. They probably wouldn't have gotten me in straight out of dental school but I've been out for 4 years. I'm not embarrassed. Clearly, the admissions committee liked what they saw of my accomplishments and personality so that's all that matters.

Members don't see this ad :)

If you get in, no one cares to judge you anymore. Sharing your stats really helps those deciding to apply next year if they should try. They see someone with their stats who got in and think "hey, maybe I can do this too."

But there is a whole lot of judging that goes on beforehand. There were definitely programs where you would not even be considered with < 90 not matter how stellar the rest of your resume was.

Just looking at the match website, over 20 ortho positions have been added since 2009. Someone here can probably tell us how many positions are applied outside of the match. Ortho has gotten less competitive.

I get what you are saying, but I will only send my children to an orthodontist who got at least a 93 on their part 1 boards.

I get what you are saying, but I will only send my children to an orthodontist who got at least a 93 on their part 1 boards.

because you'd know your orthodontist got a 93? Ridiculous. just because they go to a school that has "high board scores" as a requirement to get an interview and/or accepted to a place doesn't mean they did and vice versa. Some people choose "worse" schools because of location, price, atmosphere, residents etc. I suggest you take your arrogant attitude off of here, this is supposed to be helping people applying in the future.

because you'd know your orthodontist got a 93? Ridiculous. just because they go to a school that has "high board scores" as a requirement to get an interview and/or accepted to a place doesn't mean they did and vice versa. Some people choose "worse" schools because of location, price, atmosphere, residents etc. I suggest you take your arrogant attitude off of here, this is supposed to be helping people applying in the future.

That is ridiculous! To just go off their Part I board scores?! I would certainly check their Part II boards as well.:D

Vanderbilt Medical Center is now accepting applications for a 26 month post-graduate orthodontic residency program. Three residents will be accepted with an anticipated start in November, 2013.
The application deadline is May 31, 2013. Interviews for invited applicants are tentatively scheduled for June 28, 2013.

For more information and to download the application please click the link below.
Vanderbilt Application Information

Originally Posted by DMDWTF

Crap so no one is gonna send me a patient since I got a 92 on my part 1.

Ridiculous! Part 1 is P/F now! This means that I will only send my children to an orthodontist who scored at least a 22 on his DAT.

And, thanks for this thread guys. Very helpful for us ortho hopefuls.

Quick question or ya'll: How will ortho applicants be evaluated now that the boards are P/F? I know that many schools are P/F, but not all of them are. What will be the new "great equalizer" ? How are students evaluated from P/F schools now that boards are P/F?

Quick question or ya'll: How will ortho applicants be evaluated now that the boards are P/F? I know that many schools are P/F, but not all of them are. What will be the new "great equalizer" ? How are students evaluated from P/F schools now that boards are P/F?

Many schools choose to focus more on class rank now. Others require the GRE and I think I remember one school requiring your DAT scores...yes, the DAT. Who knows? The match will be very interesting this year.

Many schools choose to focus more on class rank now. Others require the GRE and I think I remember one school requiring your DAT scores...yes, the DAT. Who knows? The match will be very interesting this year.

DAT scores, huh? Wow. Tooth, how many years have you been out? How does applying to ortho work with your military committment?

Members don't see this ad :)
DAT scores, huh? Wow. Tooth, how many years have you been out? How does applying to ortho work with your military committment?

I'm still on active duty. My active duty obligation ends in June of 2014, just in time to start at most programs. I'll be applying for a position just like everyone else this year and we'll see how that turns out on Dec. 4th, 2013.

Name: I'm not gonna tell :p
Where: Eastman Dental Center
Dental School Attended: International
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2008
International Student (yes/no): Y
NBDE Part I/II scores: P/P
GRE Score: I took it but not a requirement here
Class Rank: top 10%
Match/Non-Match: Non-match
Externship(s)/where: ASDOH-POP
Research: Some
Extracurriculars: Tons
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 36/3/1/0
Note: The school I got in announced before the interview date of the other places, so I dropped them all and go for the place I felt really belong.

Name: I'm not gonna tell :p
Where: Eastman Dental Center
Dental School Attended: International
Year Earned DMD/DDS: 2008
International Student (yes/no): Y
NBDE Part I/II scores: P/P
GRE Score: I took it but not a requirement here
Class Rank: top 10%
Match/Non-Match: Non-match
Externship(s)/where: ASDOH-POP
Research: Some
Extracurriculars: Tons
Programs Applied to/Interview Invites/Interviews attended/Programs Ranked: 36/3/1/0
Note: The school I got in announced before the interview date of the other places, so I dropped them all and go for the place I felt really belong.

Congrats Dinodent! I have several friends who just graduated that Ortho program. You are in really good hands.

If you get in, no one cares to judge you anymore. Sharing your stats really helps those deciding to apply next year if they should try. They see someone with their stats who got in and think "hey, maybe I can do this too."

But there is a whole lot of judging that goes on beforehand. There were definitely programs where you would not even be considered with < 90 not matter how stellar the rest of your resume was.

Just looking at the match website, over 20 ortho positions have been added since 2009. Someone here can probably tell us how many positions are applied outside of the match. Ortho has gotten less competitive.

hahah. this is amazing. all of the orthodontists who come on sdn complain so loudly about how their are too many ortho programs opening up and all that. 20 spots added over 4 years is nothing to cry about. Seems like most orthos coming on this thread are just not good businessmen. It is amazing to me that 20 spots getting added over 4 years makes all the orthodontists start crying. 20 spots is nothing!

Maybe the complaining orthos are just tryin to prevent people from taking their sugar pie:laugh:

hahah. this is amazing. all of the orthodontists who come on sdn complain so loudly about how their are too many ortho programs opening up and all that. 20 spots added over 4 years is nothing to cry about. Seems like most orthos coming on this thread are just not good businessmen. It is amazing to me that 20 spots getting added over 4 years makes all the orthodontists start crying. 20 spots is nothing!

Maybe the complaining orthos are just tryin to prevent people from taking their sugar pie:laugh:

It's not 20. It's a lot more than that. 20 is just the difference in match positions since 2009. I no longer know which schools are in match, and which aren't, but here is a rough list of new schools since 2005 when the OEC explosion started some of this mess. And this doesn't even account for existing schools that have added seats because even just one extra student coming in and paying tuition sure helps the school's coffers.

Colorado: 16
Jacksonville: 16
UNLV: 4 (though they were at 16 when they opened but cut back to 4 later)
Arizona: 4
South Carolina: 3
Roseman: 9 or 10, let's go with 9
Seton Hill: 6 for now, plan to have 8 so let's go with 8
Bronx-Lebanon: 2

That's 62 new positions in less than 10 years. Prior to that there were about 250 graduating a year. This is an over 20% increase in graduates. It wasn't exactly an underserved profession to begin with because orthos can work longer than GPs since the work isn't as taxing on you physically.

Three of these programs were started as stand-alone private orthodontic residencies, meaning no dental school, no hospital, no GPR, etc. Just a building with an ortho program. This doesn't happen in any other specialty. OMS and pedo programs opening inside of a hospital don't count.

SDNers, help me out with the list. I may have missed some programs.

It's not 20. It's a lot more than that. 20 is just the difference in match positions since 2009. I no longer know which schools are in match, and which aren't, but here is a rough list of new schools since 2005 when the OEC explosion started some of this mess. And this doesn't even account for existing schools that have added seats because even just one extra student coming in and paying tuition sure helps the school's coffers.

That's 62 new positions in less than 10 years. Prior to that there were about 250 graduating a year. This is an over 20% increase in graduates. It wasn't exactly an underserved profession to begin with because orthos can work longer than GPs since the work isn't as taxing on you physically.

Three of these programs were started as stand-alone private orthodontic residencies, meaning no dental school, no hospital, no GPR, etc. Just a building with an ortho program. This doesn't happen in any other specialty. OMS and pedo programs opening inside of a hospital don't count.

I think you've got 'em.

Roseman is 10.

http://www.rosemanbraces.com/meet-our-residents.php

Good to actually see the stats, though I was aware of the explosion. I imagine this is the AAOs fault? I know AAOMS tightly controls the spots to make sure the same doesn't happen to us.

Good to actually see the stats, though I was aware of the explosion. I imagine this is the AAOs fault? I know AAOMS tightly controls the spots to make sure the same doesn't happen to us.

No, this is CODA and therefore the ADA's fault since CODA is one of their divisions. The AAO fought the opening of Jacksonville University but CODA went ahead and approved them. It's the same reason that dental schools are popping up all over the place. CODA is only there to approve schools, not to control the numbers of grads whether they are ortho or regular DDS grads.

It's probably harder to open up an OMS residency because the requirements to successfully complete a residency involve a lot more than just class room instruction and patient treatment. There are numerous hospital rotations involved and OR time which means you have to have a hospital on board to cooperate and support the OMS residency. That doesn't sound like a nice easy and profitable venture compared to opening an ortho residency. All you need for an ortho residency is a classroom, 1 full time faculty to supervise, a 10 chair ortho clinic (ortho clinics are even simpler to build than GP clinics), undercutting the community to get some patients in the door, and charging students $100K a year for the privilege of treating 30 patients and getting a certificate.

Question: from what year are people posting their ranks? Would your rank from a particular year (year 3?) be most important?

In the PASS institution eval your rank is posted for each year. Therefore schools will see what you ranked after each year. Your current rank is what should be reported. Its the rank you currently hold. Some schools may look through and use the other ranks to see an upward trend or vice versa.

Thanks. Do you in the U.S. get ranks more often than after each year is completed? Or is the "current" rank the one from year 3?

How about linking an article that wasn't written 10 years ago?

https://www.ada.org/members/sections/professionalResources/10_ort_highlights.pdf

Nominal net income for an orthodontist in 2010 was $281,650, real net income was $226,070. These numbers are ~20% drop from the previous 2 years.

I have no doubt this number has decreased since then, due to the increased residency spots opening recently, as discussed previously in this thread. Although orthodontists make a great living with low stress, it's not the cash cow it used to be.

Still seeing dollar signs?

Last edited:
You also have to look at the Age also. The Numbers you quoted were lumping everyone. If you look at the Under 40 group it is significantly higher. And starts decreasing in the 50-59 group.

"Average net income was highest among orthodontists and dentofacial orthopedists that were under 40 years of age ($310,490): followed closely by those who were 40 to 49 years old ($309,260)."

Also should be compared to General which one would probably be doing if they didn't pursue ortho. "Dentist incomes have been stable since 2009. The average annual GP dentist income was $192,392 in 2011."

Last edited:
You also have to look at the Age also. The Numbers you quoted were lumping everyone. If you look at the Under 40 group it is significantly higher. And starts decreasing in the 50-59 group.

"Average net income was highest among orthodontists and dentofacial orthopedists that were under 40 years of age ($310,490): followed closely by those who were 40 to 49 years old ($309,260)."

Also should be compared to General which one would probably be doing if they didn't pursue ortho. "Dentist incomes have been stable since 2009. The average annual GP dentist income was $192,392 in 2011."

Bingo. Also consider that many of these people are working 3-4 days per week! Not exactly pulling 60+ hour weeks to get those numbers. Compare this to the medscape physician survey--the specialties pulling similar $$ are generally much harder working fields, like general surgery, anesthesia, rads, etc..

Back in the old days, it was a lot more difficult for the dental chains to find orthodontists to work for them. In dental school I remembered shadowing my friend who was (and still is) working for Western Dental at the time and he told me that it would take up to 3 months for the chain to find another orthodontist sometimes, and the chain would keep re-scheduling the active ortho patients because they hadn't found a doctor yet. Nowadays, finding a job at these places is like winning the lottery. I hear new grads out of residency applying for them with no responses back from the companies, and even if they get a position, it may only be for 1-2 days a month! Finding employment is almost like getting into an ortho residency all over again, it depends on who you know and how good you are at butt-kissing. Also, keep in mind that with this oversupply of doctors, wages will go down because the employers will have plenty to choose from.

Back in the old days, it was a lot more difficult for the dental chains to find orthodontists to work for them. In dental school I remembered shadowing my friend who was (and still is) working for Western Dental at the time and he told me that it would take up to 3 months for the chain to find another orthodontist sometimes, and the chain would keep re-scheduling the active ortho patients because they hadn't found a doctor yet. Nowadays, finding a job at these places is like winning the lottery. I hear new grads out of residency applying for them with no responses back from the companies, and even if they get a position, it may only be for 1-2 days a month! Finding employment is almost like getting into an ortho residency all over again, it depends on who you know and how good you are at butt-kissing. Also, keep in mind that with this oversupply of doctors, wages will go down because the employers will have plenty to choose from.

OL,
Are you in California? I remember Charlestweed saying that about 10 years ago there was a shortage or Orthos there. Now, there is a major surplus such that chains are having a field day. I think the main reason is the elimination of the California board exam and the creation of reciprocity with other regions of the country.

Tweedy said that basically, if you want to make it in Cali, you have to go out on your own and start-up. I would imagine that with the flocking of new grads to CA, that is probably the only way.

But I hear the midwest and south are the places to be now. :::shrugs::: Just have to go where others don't want to I suppose.

OL,
Are you in California? I remember Charlestweed saying that about 10 years ago there was a shortage or Orthos there. Now, there is a major surplus such that chains are having a field day. I think the main reason is the elimination of the California board exam and the creation of reciprocity with other regions of the country.

Tweedy said that basically, if you want to make it in Cali, you have to go out on your own and start-up. I would imagine that with the flocking of new grads to CA, that is probably the only way.

But I hear the midwest and south are the places to be now. :::shrugs::: Just have to go where others don't want to I suppose.

Charlestweed is a long-time member of this board and has posted good info here, but remember he is just one orthodontist, and one with practice methods that many of his colleagues don't necessarily espouse. Not saying he is wrong, but I would definitely not take his philosophy and views as gospel. I did my own research and found that what the above posters said about the wage declines to be absolutely true, which is why I decided not to do it. Monetarily, ortho is definitely not what it used to be and will be getting worse.

Now, if you like doing ortho and don't mind the lower wages nowadays and the relative scarcity of jobs/opportunities, then its no big deal. From a hard calculation perspective, though, the majority of ortho programs will add on a considerable heap of loans to the already steep tab of the dental education. Even if you are good or lucky enough to get into one with a stipend (and keep in mind many if these offer a minimal stipend which will still require a moderate amount of loans to live on), you are still down 2-3 (likely the latter) years of valuable youth which is opportunity cost in of itself.

Last edited:
I did my own research and found that what the above posters said about the wage declines to be absolutely true, which is why I decided not to do it. Monetarily, ortho is definitely not what it used to be and will be getting worse.

Now, if you like doing ortho and don't mind the lower wages nowadays and the relative scarcity of jobs/opportunities, then its no big deal. From a hard calculation perspective, though, the majority of ortho programs will add on a considerable heap of loans to the already steep tab of the dental education. Even if you are good or lucky enough to get into one with a stipend (and keep in mind many if these offer a minimal stipend which will still require a moderate amount of loans to live on), you are still down 2-3 (likely the latter) years of valuable youth which is opportunity cost in of itself.

Shunwei, I am glad that you found some data to support my conjecture about the fall of my profession. I don't have any business background, but simple supply and demand makes it easy to figure out what will happen next. For example, the chain that I work at use to ask existing doctors to take on a new office opening. Now with so much supply, they can bring someone new from the outside for a lot lower rate. I have seen other dental chains send a letter to their existing doctors that their salaries will get cut, and then the decision for the doctors will be to take it or leave it. Fortunately, I bought an existing ortho office 2 years ago and it is finally starting to take off. I hope that my practice will continue to grow that when (not if) the chain sends me this letter one day, I can say leave it.

Shunwei, I am glad that you found some data to support my conjecture about the fall of my profession. I don't have any business background, but simple supply and demand makes it easy to figure out what will happen next. For example, the chain that I work at use to ask existing doctors to take on a new office opening. Now with so much supply, they can bring someone new from the outside for a lot lower rate. I have seen other dental chains send a letter to their existing doctors that their salaries will get cut, and then the decision for the doctors will be to take it or leave it. Fortunately, I bought an existing ortho office 2 years ago and it is finally starting to take off. I hope that my practice will continue to grow that when (not if) the chain sends me this letter one day, I can say leave it.

Glad to hear its working out for you. It's hard to fathom how policy makers and school administrators apparently never took Econ 101.

Glad to hear its working out for you. It's hard to fathom how policy makers and school administrators apparently never took Econ 101.

Of course they took Econ 101. You think they don't know what they are doing? They know exactly what they are doing. They purposefully try to publish dubious research and the policy makers only care about making money. These people are very intelligent and very greedy. They know they are flooding the market and they know that it won't do ANYTHING to solve the access to care issue in rural areas. They are not interested in solving anything, but rather in being bought out by the highest bidder.

From the Distinguished Gentleman movie regarding this whole policy stuff and D.C: "In this town, it isn't about passing good laws or doing good anymore. All it's about, is being here"

Of course they took Econ 101. You think they don't know what they are doing? They know exactly what they are doing. They purposefully try to publish dubious research and the policy makers only care about making money. These people are very intelligent and very greedy. They know they are flooding the market and they know that it won't do ANYTHING to solve the access to care issue in rural areas. They are not interested in solving anything, but rather in being bought out by the highest bidder.

From the Distinguished Gentleman movie regarding this whole policy stuff and D.C: "In this town, it isn't about passing good laws or doing good anymore. All it's about, is being here"

It's all because of the federal student loan program. I remember a number of years ago looking at (I think) the UOP website for their ortho education. As I recall, they didn't offer a stipend, but they also didn't charge any tuition. Now I think their tuition is about 90K per year. That's only because they can get away with charging that because the fed will hand out the dollars like candy.

It's all because of the federal student loan program. I remember a number of years ago looking at (I think) the UOP website for their ortho education. As I recall, they didn't offer a stipend, but they also didn't charge any tuition. Now I think their tuition is about 90K per year. That's only because they can get away with charging that because the fed will hand out the dollars like candy.

Fed always hands out dollars to get someone hooked and then they own them. Just look at the QE program and how the market is like a crack addict.

Fed always hands out dollars to get someone hooked and then they own them. Just look at the QE program and how the market is like a crack addict.

Yeeeeuuuppp. That's exactly what Peter Schiff says.

And he's correct. ;)