Official 2015-2016 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U Tennessee vs Albert Einstein (Montefiore)? I have chance to go only to one of them
Probably Monte but you could flip a coin.

Members don't see this ad.

West Coast programs are quite slow... Will probably have inevitable conflicts at this point, even if I get invited. How do these programs compare?

UCLA, UCSD, Colorado, and OHSU

Does anyone know Wayne State/Karmanos? how many fellow each year? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm back from an interview and would like to write a thanks letter. Do you guys usually send emails to all of the faculties you've met during the interview or just one email to PD is enough? Thanks guys!

I'm back from an interview and would like to write a thanks letter. Do you guys usually send emails to all of the faculties you've met during the interview or just one email to PD is enough? Thanks guys!

For my residency I only emailed the faculty I interviewed with and the program co-ordinator(someone told me the program co-ordinators play a big role in the selection process for residency atleast). I don't believe Program co-ordinators would play that big of a role for fellowships.

Why can't programs have a deadline for invitations? At least we can know when to not expect anything.

Why can't programs have a deadline for invitations? At least we can know when to not expect anything.
Because just like you don't know how many places will offer you interviews, programs don't know how many people will accept invites and then actually show up. My program sent out a late batch of invites last year when they had a number of late cancellations. Setting a deadline prevents things like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Fred Hutch said they had a deadline (August 18). I believe all applicants were notified regarding their interview status by that day. Although, a lot of programs tend to be more cautious just as gutonc pointed out

I just realized that in the initial Emory mass email (sent out to all applicants in early August), they mentioned only August dates and one Saturday in September. But when I got an interview, 4 September days were available. Does that mean they are interviewing >70 candidates, considering each day they have space for 6 candidates?

I just realized that in the initial Emory mass email (sent out to all applicants in early August), they mentioned only August dates and one Saturday in September. But when I got an interview, 4 September days were available. Does that mean they are interviewing >70 candidates, considering each day they have space for 6 candidates?
I went to Emory for Aug interview and there were only two candidate on my IV date. PC said they have changed schedule and less people in Aug and more in Sep! Hope this helps you! BTW, people are super nice and it is a very strong program!

I went to Emory for Aug interview and there were only two candidate on my IV date. PC said they have changed schedule and less people in Aug and more in Sep! Hope this helps you! BTW, people are super nice and it is a very strong program!
Thanks! That's very helpful! Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe Mondays are slow maybe some love tomorrow.

Update time!

Albert Einstein(Montefiore)**: 7/31, 8/20
Albert Einstein(Philadelphia)**: 8/12
Baylor (Dallas): 7/27
Baylor (Houston)*: 8/7 **8/19
Brown: 8/7
BIDMC: 8/3
Boston Univ. : 8/12
CWRU**:8/14
Colorado*: 7/23
Columbia*: 8/10
Cornell/NYP:8/24
Chicago: 8/19
DFCI: 8/4
Dartmouth: 8/7
Drexel**: 8/14
Downstate*: 8/13
Duke: 8/7
ECU: 7/27
Emory*: 8/6
ETSU: 8/6
Florida*: 7/30
Fox Chase**: 7/30
Georgia Regents University**: 8/10
Georgetown*:8/11
GWU:8/24
Iowa**: 7/24
Indiana: 8/19
Kentucky**: 7/28
Loma Linda: 7/25
Loyola: 8/5
Lankenau:?
Lehigh:?
LSU*:8/14
Mayo**:8/21
MCW**: 8/7
Michigan*: 7/21
Minnesota* 8/4
Moffitt: 7/30
MDACC**: 7/31
MSKCC: 8/19
MSSM*: 8/5, 8/13
MUSC**: 8/4
NCI: 7/29, NCI*: 8/12
NHLBI**: 8/3
Northwestern: 8/3
NYU: 7/27
Ohio State: 8/13, *8/19
Orlando Health*: 7/30
Penn State :?, **2nd Round(8/12)
Roswell Park, UBuffalo**: 8/3
RWJ/UMNDJ*:8/24
St. John Providence, MI**: 7/27
Stanford: 7/29
Thomas Jefferson**: 7/20
Tufts* 8/6
Tulane: 8/14
UAB*: 8/7
UConn**:7/28, 8/21
UCinn**:8/11, 8/17
UCDavis: 8/5
UCLA Harbor: 8/18
UCLA Olive view: 8/19
UCSF: 8/12
UIC** 8/10
ULouisville**: 8/21 (prelim-skype & in-person)
UMiami:8/12
UNC*: 7/21,8/24
UPenn: 8/20
UPMC: 7/24
USC**: 8/20
Utah*: 7/21
UTennessee*: 8/10
UToledo**: 8/11
UTSW*: 7/29
UTHSC San Antonio: 7/27
University of Washington/Fred Hutchinson*: 8/17, 8/24
UWisc*: 8/11, 8/13
UVA: ?
Vanderbilt**: 8/8
VCU**: 7/22, 8/13
Wake Forest*: 8/19
Wayne-State/Karmanos*: 8/17
Yale: 7/23

GL all for tomm.

Hi All,

Thanks for the forum, it's really great.
Sorry for the silly question, but what is the difference between NCI and NHLBI? I believe NCI is more oncology and NHLBI is hematology, is that right? So in that case should one person strictly apply to one program, since applying to both might make your application look weak?

thanks

Because just like you don't know how many places will offer you interviews, programs don't know how many people will accept invites and then actually show up. My program sent out a late batch of invites last year when they had a number of late cancellations. Setting a deadline prevents things like that.

It's just frustrating trying to schedule interview dates, cancel interviews, and reschedule others while still being a resident trying to find coverage for your travels, but I guess we're all in the same boat.

can only go on 2 of these 3: UTSW, Wake Forest, thomas jefferson--- help me choose

Can someone help me arrange these please (decide which interview to make)

tulane
utsw
musc
baylor houston
uab
fox chase
wake forest
thomas jefferson
GW
VCU
washington hospital "georgetown" affiliate

Last edited:

tulane
utsw
musc
baylor houston
uab
fox chase
wake forest
thomas jefferson
GW
VCU

I would go to UTSW, Baylor, UAB, Fox Chase, and Jefferson for sure.

can only go on 2 of these 3: UTSW, Wake Forest, thomas jefferson--- help me choose
You'll work your butt off at the UTSW program (handling up to 20+ pts on the heme/onc inpt service with two residents, each with a cap of 8 pts, with the remaining pts being fellow's primary responsibility). Also their clinical months are way over the ACGME required 18 months. You'll get great clinical training for sure (particularly if you are interested to work with underserved population), but be prepared for the high octane intensity of the program (parkland strong!)

Last edited:

tulane
utsw
musc
baylor houston
uab
fox chase
wake forest
thomas jefferson
GW
VCU
Pick 6 and I'll arrange the rest.

At least pretend you care about your future.

Pick 6 and I'll arrange the rest.

At least pretend you care about your future.

I'm not sure about washington hospital, musc, jefferson, wake-- trying for heme heavy places ideally East Coast (but that's negotiable)

SUNY Stony Brook**: 8/25

Albert Einstein(Montefiore)**: 7/31, 8/20
Albert Einstein(Philadelphia)**: 8/12
Baylor (Dallas): 7/27
Baylor (Houston)*: 8/7 **8/19
Brown: 8/7
BIDMC: 8/3
Boston Univ. : 8/12
CWRU**:8/14
Colorado*: 7/23
Columbia*: 8/10
Cornell/NYP:8/24
Chicago: 8/19
DFCI: 8/4
Dartmouth: 8/7
Drexel**: 8/14
Duke: 8/7
ECU: 7/27
Emory*: 8/6
ETSU: 8/6
Florida*: 7/30
Fox Chase**: 7/30
Georgia Regents University**: 8/10
Georgetown*:8/11
GWU:8/24
Iowa**: 7/24
Indiana: 8/19
Kentucky**: 7/28
Loma Linda: 7/25
Loyola: 8/5
Lankenau:?
Lehigh:?
LSU*:8/14
Mayo**:8/21
MCW**: 8/7
Michigan*: 7/21
Minnesota* 8/4
Moffitt: 7/30
MDACC**: 7/31
MSKCC: 8/19
MSSM*: 8/5, 8/13
MUSC**: 8/4
NCI: 7/29, NCI*: 8/12
NHLBI**: 8/3
Northwestern: 8/3
NYU: 7/27
Ohio State: 8/13, *8/19
Orlando Health*: 7/30
Penn State :?, **2nd Round(8/12)
Roswell Park, UBuffalo**: 8/3
RWJ/UMNDJ*:8/24
St. John Providence, MI**: 7/27
Stanford: 7/29
SUNY - Downstate*: 8/13
SUNY - Stony Brook**:8/25
Thomas Jefferson**: 7/20
Tufts* 8/6
Tulane: 8/14
UAB*: 8/7
UConn**:7/28, 8/21
UCinn**:8/11, 8/17
UCDavis: 8/5
UCLA Harbor: 8/18
UCLA Olive view: 8/19
UCSF: 8/12
UIC** 8/10
ULouisville**: 8/21 (prelim-skype & in-person)
UMiami:8/12
UNC*: 7/21,8/24
UPenn: 8/20
UPMC: 7/24
USC**: 8/20
Utah*: 7/21
UTennessee*: 8/10
UToledo**: 8/11
UTSW*: 7/29
UTHSC San Antonio: 7/27
University of Washington/Fred Hutchinson*: 8/17, 8/24
UWisc*: 8/11, 8/13
UVA: ?
Vanderbilt**: 8/8
VCU**: 7/22, 8/13
Wake Forest*: 8/19
Wayne-State/Karmanos*: 8/17
Yale: 7/23

anyone heard from Hopkins yet? I think they sent out invite around Aug 11th last yr.

Johns Hopkins!!!! 8/25

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone else besides MedStuds received an interview invitation from NYP-Cornell? I am very interested in the program and unfortunately have not received an invite. I am interested in matching in NYC and while I am very grateful to have received interviews at all other major NYC programs (MSKCC, Columbia, MSSM, NYU), I am a bit frustrated I didn't get one at NYP-Cornell.

Really, you have to be kidding.

I'm asking an honest question. I prob barely made the cut to get an interview at MSKCC, so I'm not confident about matching there. I am thankful for my current interviews. But I'm really interested in NYP-Cornell. Anyone else get an interview there?

I'm asking an honest question. I prob barely made the cut to get an interview at MSKCC, so I'm not confident about matching there. I am thankful for my current interviews. But I'm really interested in NYP-Cornell. Anyone else get an interview there?

I was invited to Cornell as well. Wouldn't sweat it if you didn't get a straight rejection. I think most programs are doing some form of rolling invites based on who declines. I am planning to decline from some places ASAP to be fair to other applicants and to the programs

University of Arizona**, Baylor**-8/25. U of Maryland rejection

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Cancer institute of New Jersey* 8/24 (Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital/ Rutgers)

Last edited:
8/25 State University of New York at Stony Brook*. It has started to rain now.

Last edited:
Hopkins* 8/25, Univ. of Arizona* 8/25 and Univ. of Maryland*
Busy day! Thank God...

Reactions: 1 users
Hey ! does anybody know about University of Arizona. Is it a good program? number of fellows per year. The website is not that specific