Official 2015-2016 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Depends on what you want to be when you grow up. I'd personally keep Pitt and UNC from that list, but you could make reasonable arguments for cutting any of them.
Just looking for a good recognizable name for community practice in the Midwest.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cancelled MCW & U Cinn due to date clashes. Hope they fall to someone.

Guys, Need help

SUNY Upstate vs Einstein, Philadelphia. In terms of academia and overall exposure

Is SUNY a J1 or H1 program? I am tempted to pick SUNY because it is a bigger program, but concerned about Visa. BTW got this interview from SUNY today

Thanks

Upstate >> AE(Philly)

VCU v/s U Arizona? Can only attend one. Leaning towards Arizona. Any idea about these programs?

Stony Brook vs Mayo Arizona?

Mayo Arizona sent one day IV invite, which coincides with Stony Brook. I'm in NYC which makes Stony brook easier and cheaper to get to.

Any thoughts?

Why are Mayo Arizona and Mayo Florida not as good as the Rochester campus? Apart from the smaller size, they have strong faculty and similar resources for trainees.

VCU v/s U Arizona? Can only attend one. Leaning towards Arizona. Any idea about these programs?

Stony Brook vs Mayo Arizona?

Mayo Arizona sent one day IV invite, which coincides with Stony Brook. I'm in NYC which makes Stony brook easier and cheaper to get to.

Any thoughts?

Why are Mayo Arizona and Mayo Florida not as good as the Rochester campus? Apart from the smaller size, they have strong faculty and similar resources for trainees.

Into the abyss..

In my opinion you should try and pick where you would be happy living; most programs want applicants who have an interest in living in that area in addition to reasons clinically to want to be there.

Mayo Arizona and Mayo Florida have a lot of retrospective work but there is no way it is like the real Mayo campus in Rochester. You have to realize when Mayo Arizona/Mayo Florida were started as outreach campuses for the snowbirds who live there. There is a reason those campuses have strong primary care tracks for residency.

Wish I could add more about the above, but can't really comment about the other places as I have never been. If you don't have a strong inclination to go to one place (for research, clinical reasons, or otherwise), I say location, location, location.

Will someone explain the difference be NIH vs NHLBI. They are 2 different programs??

Members don't see this ad :)
Will someone explain the difference be NIH vs NHLBI. They are 2 different programs??
There are 2 combined heme-onc programs at the NIH. One is NIH/NCI (National Cancer Institute) which focuses on solid tumors (including lymphomas) and the other is NIH/NHLBI (National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute) with a focus on liquids.

Last edited:
Has anybody received rejection from Georgetown or GW?

Updated list.
Total programs reported: 114

Albert Einstein(Montefiore)**: 7/31, 8/20
Albert Einstein(Philadelphia)**: 8/12
Alleghany**: 9/3
Arizona* :8/25
Baylor (Dallas): 7/27
Baylor (Houston)*: 8/7 **8/19
Brown: 8/7
BIDMC: 8/3
Boston Univ. : 8/12
Chicago: 8/19
Cleveland Clinic*: 8/28
CWRU**:8/14
Colorado*: 7/23
Columbia*: 8/10
Cornell/NYP:8/24
Cooper**:8/25
DFCI: 8/4
Dartmouth: 8/7
Drexel**: 8/14
Duke: 8/7
ECU: 7/27
Emory*: 8/6
ETSU: 8/6
Florida*: 7/30
Florida-Jax*: 8/27
Fox Chase**: 7/30
Georgia Regents University**: 8/10
Georgetown*:8/11
Gunderson Lutheran*: 8/21
GWU:8/24
Henry Ford/Wayne State**: 9/9
Howard**: 9/1
Iowa**: 7/24
JHU*: 8/25
Indiana*: 8/19, **:8/28
Kentucky**: 7/28
Loma Linda: 7/25
Louisville**: 8/21 (prelim-skype & in-person)
Loyola: 8/5
Lankenau:?
Lehigh:?
LSU Nola*:8/14
LSU Shreve**:8/26
Marshall Uni*: 9/9
Mayo**:8/21
Mayo-Florida**: 9/2
Mayo Arizona*: 9/8
MCW**: 8/7
Methodist (Houston)* : 8/31
Michigan*: 7/21
Minnesota* 8/4
Missouri-Columbia: 8/28
Moffitt: 7/30
MDACC**: 7/31
MSKCC: 8/19
MSSM*: 8/5, 8/13
MUSC**: 8/4
NCI: 7/29, NCI*: 8/12
Newark BI* 9/8
NHLBI**: 8/3
Northwestern: 8/3
NYU: 7/27
Ohio State: 8/13, *8/19
OHSU*: 8/26
Orlando Health*: 7/30
Oschner Clinic**:8/26
Penn State :?, **2nd Round(8/12)
Rochester: 8/28, **: 8/31
Roswell Park, UBuffalo**: 8/3
RWJ/UMNDJ*:8/24
Scripps*: 9/8
SLU*: 9/3
St. John Providence, MI**: 7/27
Stanford: 7/29
SUNY - Downstate*: 8/13
SUNY - Stony Brook**:8/25
SUNY - Upstate**: 9/9
Thomas Jefferson**: 7/20
Toledo**: 8/11
Tufts* 8/6
Tulane: 8/14
UAB*: 8/7
UConn**:7/28, 8/21
UCinn**:8/11, 8/17
UCDavis: 8/5
UCLA: 9/1
UCLA Harbor: 8/18
UCLA Olive view: 8/19, *: 9/3
UCSF: 8/12
UIC** 8/10
UMass*: 8/31, **: 9/1
UMiami:8/12
UMD*:8/25
UMNDJ*: 8/25
UNC*: 7/21,8/24
UNMC**: 9/9
UOklahoma**: 8/20
UPenn: 8/20
UPMC: 7/24
USC**: 8/20
Utah*: 7/21
UTennessee*: 8/10
UTSW*: 7/29
UTHSC San Antonio: 7/27
Uwash/Fred Hutch*: 8/17, 8/24
UWisc*: 8/11, 8/13
UVA: ?
Vanderbilt**: 8/8
VCU**: 7/22, 8/13
Wake Forest*: 8/19
WashU: 9/2
Wayne-State/Karmanos*: 8/17
William Beaumont**: ?
Yale: 7/23

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all,
I've been trolling on this list for a long time. Sorry. Finally made an account.

Update to list, though I think someone mentioned it:
Rush 9/8 (I'm AMG, sorry I forget the code and don't want to mess up that list). Couldn't go to the interview, so had to cancel.

Agree with Humble, any thoughts on BU? and additionally on Tufts? With all the Boston programs, it's clearly not Dana Farber or BIDMC, but my chances of getting interviews those places are looking slim at this point.
Also, agree with Gutonc and many others, location is clutch, but I at least need a program that's challenging, good research opportunities, hopefully faculty positions possible for grads (I'm leaning that way as of now). I know it's impossible to answer, but any opinion/advice: is it "worth it" just to live in Boston if I had "better" choices somewhere else in the NE region?

Along the same lines, Jefferson and Drexel, and the other Philly programs (Fox chase, UPenn?) Got reject from UPenn ~2 weeks ago. Same thoughts as above.

For all above programs, leaning onc vs heme, but want general training, and programs that lean one way or another? I don't think anyone is going to admit that on an interview.

Thanks for help.

OK trying to cut 2 interviews here. Really having trouble as I don't know how to differentiate these.

Pittsburgh
Fox Chase
UNC Chapel Hill
Iowa

I have previously visited Iowa, Fox chase, Pitt but not UNC (I have however had the opportunity to interact with faculty from UNC)

I would cut Iowa - there isn't much going on to be honest. Fox chase is really a decent program along with Pitt and UNC. It's hard to make a choice amongst the three. I feel all 3 will be good for general training. Pitt has melanoma, lung, head/neck (headed by surgeons), partial ovarian spore (also headed by surgeons). Pitt is weak in mal-heme. Fox chase and particularly UNC are strong in benign heme.

NCI and NHLBI are the two programs within NIH. They are separate programs. NCI has many more training slots (6-10 or so I believe) than compared to NHLBI (they take around 3 annually).

NCI is focused on solid. NHLBI is focused on heme. They each have faculties that is compartmentalized to either NCI vs. NHLBI. Fellows can work with faculties from either side - however, i feel that it may be unspoken that they would prefer fellows to work within their compartments e.g NCI vs. NHLBI. Fellows in either programs have the opportunity to double board, just that the site of rotation is different. NCI fellows go to Georgetown for run of the mill cancer exposure. NHLBI fellows go to Washington Hospital. They also do a acute leukemia month in Hopkins. Obviously, NHLBI fellows get more heme exposure while NCI get more solid exposure within their 18 months of clinical training. Both NCI and NHLBI have their own transplant service - however, i believe NCI mostly do autos (which is not strictly a transplant e,g immunotherapy, since it is more of a stem cell rescue rather than achieving GVL effect) while NHLBI does allo/haplo/cords and they also perform experimental transplants like haplo-cords leading to several donor chimerism in the early transplant period.

NHLBI faculty has traditionally focused on MDS, aplastic anemia, bone marrow failure and BMT. They also do basic science on hematopoiesis. As a result, trainees who come out from the NHLBI commonly do BMT, MDS, aplastic anemia and bone marrow failure syndromes within academia.

NCI. I think they loss several big names including a myeloma person I believe. They are strong in lymphoma. The last I know, they have patchy expertise within solid tumor. Perhaps someone can provide an update.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Albert Einstein (Montefiore)**: 7/31, 8/20
Albert Einstein (Philadelphia)**: 8/12
Alleghany**: 9/3
Arizona* :8/25
Baylor (Dallas): 7/27
Baylor (Houston)*: 8/7 **8/19
Brown: 8/7
BIDMC: 8/3
Boston Univ. : 8/12
Chicago: 8/19
Cleveland Clinic*: 8/28
CWRU**:8/14
Colorado*: 7/23
Columbia*: 8/10
Cornell/NYP:8/24
Cooper**:8/25
DFCI: 8/4
Dartmouth: 8/7
Drexel**: 8/14
Duke: 8/7
ECU: 7/27
Emory*: 8/6
ETSU: 8/6
Florida*: 7/30
Florida-Jax*: 8/27
Fox Chase**: 7/30
Georgia Regents University**: 8/10
Georgetown*:8/11
Gunderson Lutheran*: 8/21
GWU:8/24
Henry Ford/Wayne State**: 9/9
Howard**: 9/1
Iowa**: 7/24
JHU*: 8/25
Indiana*: 8/19, **:8/28
Kentucky**: 7/28
Loma Linda: 7/25
Louisville**: 8/21 (prelim-skype & in-person)
Loyola: 8/5
Lankenau:?
Lehigh:?
LSU Nola*:8/14
LSU Shreve**:8/26
Marshall Uni*: 9/9
Mayo**:8/21
Mayo-Florida**: 9/2
Mayo Arizona*: 9/8
MCW**: 8/7
Methodist (Houston)* : 8/31
Michigan*: 7/21
Minnesota* 8/4
Missouri-Columbia: 8/28
Moffitt: 7/30
MDACC**: 7/31
MSKCC: 8/19
MSSM*: 8/5, 8/13
MUSC**: 8/4
NCI: 7/29, NCI*: 8/12
Newark BI* 9/8
NHLBI**: 8/3
Northwestern: 8/3
NYU: 7/27
Ohio State: 8/13, *8/19
OHSU*: 8/26
Orlando Health*: 7/30
Oschner Clinic**:8/26
Penn State :?, **2nd Round(8/12)
Rochester: 8/28, **: 8/31
Roger Williams Medical Center**: 8/14
Roswell Park, UBuffalo**: 8/3
RWJ/UMNDJ*:8/24
Scripps*: 9/8
SLU*: 9/3
St. John Providence, MI**: 7/27
Stanford: 7/29
SUNY - Downstate*: 8/13
SUNY - Stony Brook**:8/25
SUNY - Upstate**: 9/9
Thomas Jefferson**: 7/20
Toledo**: 8/11
Tufts* 8/6
Tulane: 8/14
UAB*: 8/7
UConn**:7/28, 8/21
UCinn**:8/11, 8/17
UCDavis: 8/5
UCLA: 9/1
UCLA Harbor: 8/18
UCLA Olive view: 8/19, *: 9/3
UCSF: 8/12
UIC** 8/10
UMass*: 8/31, **: 9/1
UMiami:8/12
UMD*:8/25
UMNDJ*: 8/25
UNC*: 7/21,8/24
UNMC**: 9/9
UOklahoma**: 8/20
UPenn: 8/20
UPMC: 7/24
USC**: 8/20
Utah*: 7/21
UTennessee*: 8/10
UTSW*: 7/29
UTHSC San Antonio: 7/27
Uwash/Fred Hutch*: 8/17, 8/24
UWisc*: 8/11, 8/13
UVA: ?
Vanderbilt**: 8/8
VCU**: 7/22, 8/13
Wake Forest*: 8/19
Washington Hospital Center**: 8/27
WashU: 9/2
Wayne-State/Karmanos*: 8/17
William Beaumont**: 8/27
Yale: 7/23

Hi. Does anyone know much about the UTSW program? I'm having a date conflict and am trying to figure out which to go to. Thank you!

Hi. Does anyone know much about the UTSW program? I'm having a date conflict and am trying to figure out which to go to. Thank you!
Refer to my earlier post: You'll work your butt off at the UTSW program (handling up to 20+ pts on the heme/onc inpt service with two residents, each with a cap of 8 pts, with the remaining pts being fellow's primary responsibility). Also their clinical months are way over the ACGME required 18 months. You'll get great clinical training for sure (particularly if you are interested to work with underserved population), but be prepared for the high octane intensity of the program (parkland strong!)

Its getting quiet now. I'm assuming people have stopped receiving interviews and people are not expecting or wanting it anymore. Time to finalize the list? I'm guessing whatever interviews that come in now are mostly last minute cancellations.

Its getting quiet now. I'm assuming people have stopped receiving interviews and people are not expecting or wanting it anymore. Time to finalize the list? I'm guessing whatever interviews that come in now are mostly last minute cancellations.
I hope not. My October time is quite empty and I can accommodate a few more programs. Even if they are cancellation interviews, I would still go to those just because they will be higher on my rank list.

Anyone got an interview today? I am not getting interviews since 2 weeks now and started to get scared as some of programs i want to get into so badly did not send me an interview!!! Is this a bad sign? Is it ok if I sent the program director to inquire if they still sending interviews? please someone reply to me I am so anxious

Sir, you're a troll. Yours anxiously, anxietykiller

Refer to my earlier post: You'll work your butt off at the UTSW program (handling up to 20+ pts on the heme/onc inpt service with two residents, each with a cap of 8 pts, with the remaining pts being fellow's primary responsibility). Also their clinical months are way over the ACGME required 18 months. You'll get great clinical training for sure (particularly if you are interested to work with underserved population), but be prepared for the high octane intensity of the program (parkland strong!)

Agree. Parkland strong ! Fellows with true grit. They deserve all the respect.

I hope not. My October time is quite empty and I can accommodate a few more programs. Even if they are cancellation interviews, I would still go to those just because they will be higher on my rank list.

Yea, I'm hopeful for a couple good ones from cancellations. Who knows though.

Agree. Parkland strong ! Fellows with true grit. They deserve all the respect.

Do you know what their post graduation placement is? Mostly private practice?

Last edited:

How can you possibly accomadate more? You have a bunch of really good ones already. Unless you cancelled some of the "mediocre" programs.

I can maybe replace 1 or 2 if I get better programs..otherwise my list is done.

How can you possibly accomadate more? You have a bunch of really good ones already. Unless you cancelled some of the "mediocre" programs.
I started interviewing quite early (mid August). I only have 3 interviews in October so far, but will most likely cancel 1-2 depending on any better interview offers and date clashes.

Got Henry Ford** on 9/14-likely a cancellation interview. Declining LSU, Shreveport & Drexel.

Indiana University rejection* inspite of having significant ties in Indiana.

Seems the interview season had a silent MI...
unless we arent catching the trickle of second / third round invites here....

What did you all think of that virtual interview from Louisville?

I actually quite liked it! It was a group interview though - 2 faculty.. and they sent me a ""real" invite... now what do we talk about lol...
Nice! Prolly a reflection that you interview well..

Last edited:
I've canceled on a few places this month, canceling a couple more in the next day or two. Hope these go out to some of you guys

Does anyone have an alternatives on how to get to upstate? That Syracuse airport seems ridiculously expensive to fly into...

NCI and NHLBI are the two programs within NIH. They are separate programs. NCI has many more training slots (6-10 or so I believe) than compared to NHLBI (they take around 3 annually).

NCI is focused on solid. NHLBI is focused on heme. They each have faculties that is compartmentalized to either NCI vs. NHLBI. Fellows can work with faculties from either side - however, i feel that it may be unspoken that they would prefer fellows to work within their compartments e.g NCI vs. NHLBI. Fellows in either programs have the opportunity to double board, just that the site of rotation is different. NCI fellows go to Georgetown for run of the mill cancer exposure. NHLBI fellows go to Washington Hospital. They also do a acute leukemia month in Hopkins. Obviously, NHLBI fellows get more heme exposure while NCI get more solid exposure within their 18 months of clinical training. Both NCI and NHLBI have their own transplant service - however, i believe NCI mostly do autos (which is not strictly a transplant e,g immunotherapy, since it is more of a stem cell rescue rather than achieving GVL effect) while NHLBI does allo/haplo/cords and they also perform experimental transplants like haplo-cords leading to several donor chimerism in the early transplant period.

NHLBI faculty has traditionally focused on MDS, aplastic anemia, bone marrow failure and BMT. They also do basic science on hematopoiesis. As a result, trainees who come out from the NHLBI commonly do BMT, MDS, aplastic anemia and bone marrow failure syndromes within academia.

NCI. I think they loss several big names including a myeloma person I believe. They are strong in lymphoma. The last I know, they have patchy expertise within solid tumor. Perhaps someone can provide an update.

NCI has 11, NHLBI has 5 positions. (Total of 33+10= 43)