*~*~*~*Official AMCAS Questions Thread 2016-2017*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you add a school to the AMCAS application it states:

"You are not required to assign letters of evaluation to a medical school prior to submitting your AMCAS application. However, after you submit your application, letter assignments cannot be changed."

Does this mean that if you do not assign letters to the school on the primary application, and you submit the primary application, you can later choose which letters go to the school?

Also... my school offers a letter pack of 5 individual letters + a committee letter. And all of this is listed as one letter, as "
committee statement and letters of recommendation" under the committee letter designation. Is it okay to only have this pack sent to amcas and assign this to all schools, even if the schools in question can recieve only 4 letters max (even though there is technically 6 letters in my letter pack)? An example would be Baylor which accepts 4 letters max

Members don't see this ad.

When you add a school to the AMCAS application it states:
"You are not required to assign letters of evaluation to a medical school prior to submitting your AMCAS application. However, after you submit your application, letter assignments cannot be changed."

Does this mean that if you do not assign letters to the school on the primary application, and you submit the primary application, you can later choose which letters go to the school?
YES
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/section-6-letters-evaluation/
When does my letter information have to be complete in the AMCAS application? Does it have to be complete before I can submit?
You may assign your letters before and/or after you submit your application. Letters do not have to be assigned to the letter entries in your AMCAS application before you can submit, although you have the option to add this information before submitting. Please note that after you submit your application, you can add letter entries, but you cannot delete or change existing letter entries.

Also... my school offers a letter pack of 5 individual letters + a committee letter. And all of this is listed as one letter, as " committee statement and letters of recommendation" under the committee letter designation. Is it okay to only have this pack sent to amcas and assign this to all schools, even if the schools in question can recieve only 4 letters max (even though there is technically 6 letters in my letter pack)? An example would be Baylor which accepts 4 letters max

A committee letter, no how many letters are attached, will be considered a single letter by all medical schools.
School specific instructions on the minimum or maximum number of LORs only applies to Individual Letters sent separate from each other

https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/section-6-letters-evaluation/
Letter Types

AMCAS accepts three different types of letters. Each letter type is equivalent to one letter entry.

• Committee Letter: A letter authored by a pre-health committee or pre-health advisor and intended to represent your institution’s evaluation of you. A Committee Letter may or may not include additional letters written in support of your application. This is sometimes called a Composite Letter.
  • Letter Packet: A packet or set of letters assembled and distributed by your institution, often by the institution’s career center. A Letter Packet may include a cover sheet from your pre-health committee or advisor. However, unlike to a Committee Letter, a Letter Packet does not include an evaluative letter from your pre-health committee or advisor.
  • Individual Letter: A letter written by, and representing, a single letter author. If you have already included an Individual Letter within either a Committee Letter or a Letter Packet, do not add a separate entry for that letter.

Reactions: 1 user
That is not entirely correct. Part of the purpose of you entering the course work is to reflect what your "real" or "effective" freshman year. I had a post a few back in this thread on the topic

You can list your years via credit amounts OR actual years OR "effective" years (for lack of a better term). AMCAS wont change your status.

1) Credit amounts ... As in AMCAS. Freshman year can be much more than 35 credits if you start college with lots of AP
2) Actual years .... first year freshman, second sophmore, etc no matter how many credits you earn
3) "effective" or "real" year. Describe what is reasonable to best reflect what it should be seen as. This is what up would want to the adcom to see

So clarifying, I can just use 'actual years'? It'd be less of a nightmare to just enter the courses as actual year in school, but I'd rather not have AMCAS delay my app.

As well, which academic year is a summer apart of? For instance, is a Summer 2011 course apart of 2010-2011 or 2011-2012? Trying to find a clear answer. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So clarifying, I can just use 'actual years'? It'd be less of a nightmare to just enter the courses as actual year in school, but I'd rather not have AMCAS delay my app.
No delay. You can use actual years and be fine. AMCAS will not change it.

As well, which academic year is a summer apart of? For instance, is a Summer 2011 course apart of 2010-2011 or 2011-2012? Trying to find a clear answer. Thanks.

Summer is the start of the year for AMCAS. So the Summer 2011 belongs to 2011-2012

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
(p36)Academic Year and Term
These fields show the Academic Year and Term during which you took a course. The AMCAS year begins with summer and ends with spring. Courses taken in the summer should be entered with the next academic year, even if your institution considers them in the previous year. For example, if you took a course in the first summer session of 2014, you should enter it as 2014–2015 academic year, even if your school considers it in the 2013–2014 academic year.

This is a super specific question, but I'm nervous and I need assistance, SDN.

Background:
I transferred after my 2nd year. My 1st semester of intro bio was titled "Organisms" on the transcript. In the class, we did genetics, cell biology, and some organismal stuff towards the end.
When I transferred, my new school (that is in the same state & knows the curriculum of my original school) gave me credit for 1st semester intro bio at their school which is called "Intro Bio: Cell & Genetics."
I was only allowed to take the 2nd semester of intro bio, and lo' and behold, my new school called it "Intro Bio: Organisms & Evolutionary Biology" -- a class that focused on organismal biology, ecology, and evolution.

My problem:
On AMCAS, my 2 intro bio. classes both have "Organisms" somewhere in the title.

My question:
Is it okay to write "Intro Bio I" and "Intro Bio 2" on my AMCAS app so as to try and avoid this double-labeling? The classes tested entirely different sets of material, though they both have organisms in their name. I'm not just the one saying this, the university I graduated from says so too on my transcript when they gave me "Intro Bio: Cell & Genetics" credit when I transferred. And, if I do so, is my application going to be held up or returned? What should I do?

Thank you for reading this - TBM.

That is not entirely correct. Part of the purpose of you entering the course work is to reflect what your "real" or "effective" freshman year. I had a post a few back in this thread on the topic

You can list your years via credit amounts OR actual years OR "effective" years (for lack of a better term). AMCAS wont change your status.

1) Credit amounts ... As in AMCAS. Freshman year can be much more than 35 credits if you start college with lots of AP
2) Actual years .... first year freshman, second sophmore, etc no matter how many credits you earn
3) "effective" or "real" year. Describe what is reasonable to best reflect what it should be seen as. This is what up would want to the adcom to see
https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...278-2edb3998a216/amcas_instruction_manual.pdf
College classes in HS are treated differently and should not considered "freshman
(p36)Assign High School (HS) status to college-level courses taken prior to the high
school graduation date you entered in the Schools Attended section, regardless of
the physical location of the college-level course.

In your case you will have something listed twice and the dates can overlap
HS - University 2
FR - University 1
SO - University 2
Sorry, my answer was not meant to be in relation to which years classes were taken in school, I was simply stating for the "dates attended" per college.

Hey everyone,

Just as a reminder, this is a thread specifically for questions about AMCAS. If you have other questions, please feel free to make a new thread! Thank you!

This is a super specific question, but I'm nervous and I need assistance, SDN.

Background:
I transferred after my 2nd year. My 1st semester of intro bio was titled "Organisms" on the transcript. In the class, we did genetics, cell biology, and some organismal stuff towards the end.
When I transferred, my new school (that is in the same state & knows the curriculum of my original school) gave me credit for 1st semester intro bio at their school which is called "Intro Bio: Cell & Genetics."
I was only allowed to take the 2nd semester of intro bio, and lo' and behold, my new school called it "Intro Bio: Organisms & Evolutionary Biology" -- a class that focused on organismal biology, ecology, and evolution.

My problem:
On AMCAS, my 2 intro bio. classes both have "Organisms" somewhere in the title.

My question:
Is it okay to write "Intro Bio I" and "Intro Bio 2" on my AMCAS app so as to try and avoid this double-labeling? The classes tested entirely different sets of material, though they both have organisms in their name. I'm not just the one saying this, the university I graduated from says so too on my transcript when they gave me "Intro Bio: Cell & Genetics" credit when I transferred. And, if I do so, is my application going to be held up or returned? What should I do?

Thank you for reading this - TBM.
Ok, what you can do here is add in parentheses after the actual course name as : (Intro Bio I)

The main purpose of AMCAS verification is to verify what you have written as course is what is on your transcript so the schools can have a standard format when looking at applicants. The schools do not use these to check fulfillment of prerequisites.

(p38) Course Number and Course Name

Enter the exact course name in English and the exact course number as they appear on the official transcript in the designated fields. If the exact course name does not fit, enter a logical abbreviation. This information is critical for AMCAS to verify each course on the official transcript and for the medical school(s) to evaluate your application.

I have the option of sending my letters of recommendation (7 letters) to AMCAS as 1) individual letters through Interfolio, or 2) one letter packet by my pre-med advisor whom I have hired to help me through the application process. It would be an easier option to go with a letter packet, however I am not sure how this would be viewed since my advisor is not part of my university committee or anything like that. Alternatively, I'm not sure if submitting 7 individual letters would be a good idea either since some medical schools I will be applying to have a limit on the number of letters allowed, whereas others do not. From my understanding, a letter packet would count as 1 letter but would fulfill the minimum number of recommendation letters requirement. Which option should I go with? Thanks in advance!

A sincere thanks to all that are helping out in this thread. I read through the official AMCAS manual, but as a first timer non-trad had a question regarding the lecture/lab/lecture+lab designation.

I've had a few classes/credits as an undergrad that were either entirely experiential learning (ex: field study) or had a large experiential learning component (ex: 1 lecture a week with several additional hours of experiential learning/clinical experience, etc.). These were not explicitly scientific "labs" in nature, and so I marked all of these courses as "Lecture only" - despite the fact that courses like a field study were not lecture-based. Could anyone provide me any insight as to whether this is correct, or what their definition of "Lab" is?

A sincere thanks to all that are helping out in this thread. I read through the official AMCAS manual, but as a first timer non-trad had a question regarding the lecture/lab/lecture+lab designation.

I've had a few classes/credits as an undergrad that were either entirely experiential learning (ex: field study) or had a large experiential learning component (ex: 1 lecture a week with several additional hours of experiential learning/clinical experience, etc.). These were not explicitly scientific "labs" in nature, and so I marked all of these courses as "Lecture only" - despite the fact that courses like a field study were not lecture-based. Could anyone provide me any insight as to whether this is correct, or what their definition of "Lab" is?

For classic biology as in botany and zoology, field work would have been considered "lab." The question is for AMCAS should they be?
Are medical schools evaluating applicants under the idea that labs are the typical wet bench settings that we think of ?
Or are they evaluating applicants with the idea of labs as in applying knowledge and concepts to actual issues in a subject?

Knowing the conservative nature of medical school faculty and adcom members, I would go with labs as being primarily the "wet bench" experiments that we find for Biology, Chemistry or Physics (or similar). So I would say field study wouldnt fit that usage.

I have the option of sending my letters of recommendation (7 letters) to AMCAS as 1) individual letters through Interfolio, or 2) one letter packet by my pre-med advisor whom I have hired to help me through the application process. It would be an easier option to go with a letter packet, however I am not sure how this would be viewed since my advisor is not part of my university committee or anything like that.

Where do I start? A few thoughts.
1) Having a paid professional may bring up questions, but many of them are former advisors or even adcoms so some (notice I said some) are quite competent.
2) However, if a private advisor, not associated with a school, is putting a letter packet together, that presumes the writers are sending confidential letters (ie waiving your rights to see them). There is no institutional structure behind that confidentiality agreement. Again, not necessarily nefarious but it could raise questions.
3) I would also wonder if this advisor has kept his/her login in to the AAMC advisors system and/or kept NAAHP membership which would make them "official" in the AAMC's eyes. Are they planning to upload this packet as advisor would? Again, suspect.

Alternatively, I'm not sure if submitting 7 individual letters would be a good idea either since some medical schools I will be applying to have a limit on the number of letters allowed, whereas others do not. From my understanding, a letter packet would count as 1 letter but would fulfill the minimum number of recommendation letters requirement. Which option should I go with? Thanks in advance!

4) If you have 7 individual letters, you can assign them as needed per school. You dont have to submit all 7 to every school. And yes, submitting 7 to a school that has a stated maximum of 6 would be a bad idea. (seriously, you really werent sure?)
5) Individual letters arent any more work for your letter writers who can load them up to AMCAS or Interfolio.

A letter packet via a private advisor can be done, but frankly without knowing the reputation of the advisor, his/her background, how any cover letter would be addressed, I am hesitant to say it is a good idea.

When entering credit hours, do you put Attempted, Earned, or Points?

Members don't see this ad :)
YES
When does my letter information have to be complete in the AMCAS application? Does it have to be complete before I can submit?
You may assign your letters before and/or after you submit your application. Letters do not have to be assigned to the letter entries in your AMCAS application before you can submit, although you have the option to add this information before submitting. Please note that after you submit your application, you can add letter entries, but you cannot delete or change existing letter entries.

A committee letter, no how many letters are attached, will be considered a single letter by all medical schools.
School specific instructions on the minimum or maximum number of LORs only applies to Individual Letters sent separate from each other

Letter Types

AMCAS accepts three different types of letters. Each letter type is equivalent to one letter entry.

• Committee Letter: A letter authored by a pre-health committee or pre-health advisor and intended to represent your institution’s evaluation of you. A Committee Letter may or may not include additional letters written in support of your application. This is sometimes called a Composite Letter.
  • Letter Packet: A packet or set of letters assembled and distributed by your institution, often by the institution’s career center. A Letter Packet may include a cover sheet from your pre-health committee or advisor. However, unlike to a Committee Letter, a Letter Packet does not include an evaluative letter from your pre-health committee or advisor.
  • Individual Letter: A letter written by, and representing, a single letter author. If you have already included an Individual Letter within either a Committee Letter or a Letter Packet, do not add a separate entry for that letter.

So if we have a committee letter coming in with 5 additional letters of recommendation, we should only have 1 slot for letters of recommendation on the AMCAS, and that is enough to apply even though I would be assigning only 1 letter to all schools?

So if we have a committee letter coming in with 5 additional letters of recommendation, we should only have 1 slot for letters of recommendation on the AMCAS, and that is enough to apply even though I would be assigning only 1 letter to all schools?

Lets see if we clarify language here:

If you have a committee letter that has 5 letters attached to it by your prehealth committee, that would be ONE (1) letter in AMCAS and ONE (1) letter assigned to a specific school.

If you have a committee letter and you get 5 additional individual letters sent in separately, that would be SIX (6) letters in AMCAS and up to SIX (6) letters assigned to a school

Hello All,
For my most meaningful activities, I want to put a health fair I helped organize in an underserved area. Through this experience, I witnessed healthcare disparities occurring and so through this experience, I learned that I wanted to work with underserved populations. My only issue about this experience is that it took place within two days total, so I don't have a lot of hours. Do you think making this activity most meaningful will hurt me, although it greatly impacted me? Thanks in advance!

Hello All,
For my most meaningful activities, I want to put a health fair I helped organize in an underserved area. Through this experience, I witnessed healthcare disparities occurring and so through this experience, I learned that I wanted to work with underserved populations. My only issue about this experience is that it took place within two days total, so I don't have a lot of hours. Do you think making this activity most meaningful will hurt me, although it greatly impacted me? Thanks in advance!

number of hours is meaningless as is the impact of the event. If you can sincerely explain why this event was meaningful in a coherent, concise, and compelling manner, then do so.

If I were applying to medical school one of my meaning experiences would be the first on scene as bystander to a fatal motor vehicle accident as a young teen. the episode was probably 5-10 minutes long.

I also like to stress that a meaningful experience does not have to be anything academic or medical. be sincere, you will get more notice out of it

Hello All,
If you helped organize it, didn't you spend tons of time doing so? I think the time it took you to plan it would count towards your hours spent on it.

It appears that I am unable to pick schools in Tab 7 "Medical Schools". the only state that showed up in the dropdown menu is "Illinois" for some reason. I have completed all other sections and was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue? I did open this account prior to 3 May though, not sure if that has anything to do with that. (Also I have tried different browsers, on different operating systems, all to no avail).

It appears that I am unable to pick schools in Tab 7 "Medical Schools". the only state that showed up in the dropdown menu is "Illinois" for some reason. I have completed all other sections and was wondering if anyone else is having the same issue? I did open this account prior to 3 May though, not sure if that has anything to do with that. (Also I have tried different browsers, on different operating systems, all to no avail).

double check you are in the 2017 application and not the 2016 application

For classic biology as in botany and zoology, field work would have been considered "lab." The question is for AMCAS should they be?
Are medical schools evaluating applicants under the idea that labs are the typical wet bench settings that we think of ?
Or are they evaluating applicants with the idea of labs as in applying knowledge and concepts to actual issues in a subject?

Knowing the conservative nature of medical school faculty and adcom members, I would go with labs as being primarily the "wet bench" experiments that we find for Biology, Chemistry or Physics (or similar). So I would say field study wouldnt fit that usage.
Thank you very much! I was wondering if that question was just to clarify the B/C/P/etc. lab involvement. I wish they could be more clear. Even though "lecture only" doesn't really fit the description for some of those courses, since we're assuming they are asking with the above reasoning in mind, I'm hoping I'll be fine answering it that way.

Thank you very much! I was wondering if that question was just to clarify the B/C/P/etc. lab involvement. I wish they could be more clear. Even though "lecture only" doesn't really fit the description for some of those courses, since we're assuming they are asking with the above reasoning in mind, I'm hoping I'll be fine answering it that way.
it wont cause a problem

Do you think saying "EH&S" is fine without spelling it out in the work/activities?

Do you think saying "EH&S" is fine without spelling it out in the work/activities?
When it's not a universally understood abbreviation, please spell it out the first time it's used, followed by the abbreviation in parentheses. Thereafter you can just say EH&S. (I don't know what it means, either).

I took a medical terminology course in high school and got credit for it at a local tech school. I didn't submit the local tech school's transcript when applying to my college because it wasn't needed, and later took medical terminology in college. I'm wondering if this would be considered a "repeat"? I have two medical terminology courses listed on my transcripts, but it does not say the second attempt is a repeat.

EDIT: I also took an AP Statistics course in high school and got college credit for it, but retook stats in college because my AP score wasn't high enough for the program I wanted to go in to at the time. Should I mark this as repeated as well?

Last edited:
I took a medical terminology course in high school and got credit for it at a local tech school. I didn't submit the local tech school's transcript when applying to my college because it wasn't needed, and later took medical terminology in college. I'm wondering if this would be considered a "repeat"? I have two medical terminology courses listed on my transcripts, but it does not say the second attempt is a repeat.

Is the local "tech" school an actual accredited college or just a for-profit training center? If it is a college, you would need to get a transcript from them and mark the course a repeat. If a for-profit training center, then it can be ignored

EDIT: I also took an AP Statistics course in high school and got college credit for it, but retook stats in college because my AP score wasn't high enough for the program I wanted to go in to at the time. Should I mark this as repeated as well?

Yes

When it's not a universally understood abbreviation, please spell it out the first time it's used, followed by the abbreviation in parentheses. Thereafter you can just say EH&S. (I don't know what it means, either).
Thank you! What about when writing about certain conditions, do I have to explain what they are? (eg Nursemaid's elbow)

Is the local "tech" school an actual accredited college or just a for-profit training center? If it is a college, you would need to get a transcript from them and mark the course a repeat. If a for-profit training center, then it can be ignored

Thanks gonnif, it's an accredited college with transcripts that I already submitted, so I will mark the course as repeated.

Another question, I took an AP Bio class in HS as well and was given 3 credits of "Biology-Transfer" at the first university I went to, because I didn't do well enough to get credit for an actual class, just general biology elective credit. When I transferred to my second university though, my AP score gave me 5 credits of "BIO 101 -General Biology". Do I have to list both of these, or only the 3 credits from the first university?

Thank you! What about when writing about certain conditions, do I have to explain what they are? (eg Nursemaid's elbow)
Maybe you should test drive your essays with a few folks to see if they understand your terms. Using "subluxed elbow" takes fewer characters, but even that might be beyond a Stats professor on the adcomm.

Thanks gonnif, it's an accredited college with transcripts that I already submitted, so I will mark the course as repeated.

Another question, I took an AP Bio class in HS as well and was given 3 credits of "Biology-Transfer" at the first university I went to, because I didn't do well enough to get credit for an actual class, just general biology elective credit. When I transferred to my second university though, my AP score gave me 5 credits of "BIO 101 -General Biology". Do I have to list both of these, or only the 3 credits from the first university?

And the answer is....right after this message from your friendly SDN advisor

Please everyone read the instructions, I mean its a freakin' free download for goodness sakes. The instructions should be considered the review outline for the first exam in applying to medical school

Now back to our question. You can list it from the place that gave you the most credit as below. You can only list it once so skip in the first school and but list it in the second

(p41)Advanced Placement (AP)

To claim AP credit, the credit hours must be listed on your transcript. AP courses should be entered under the term in which the college credit was initially granted. If no term is designated, include these credits with freshman coursework (FR). Include AP credit courses only once (by selecting Advanced Placement as the Special Course Type), even though AP credit for the same subject may have been awarded by more than one institution. AP courses can be assigned under the institution awarding the most credit. If AP credits appear in one block on the transcript, distribute the credit appropriately among the AP exams taken.

If I got AP Credit for Calculus II (AP BC CALCULUS), but I did not get AP credit for Calculus I, and I took calculus I in college through a traditional class do I mark Calculus I as a repeated course?

The Instruction manual doesn't make sense to me in this situation

"If you take a college level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, this course is considered a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate institution, you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat."

If I got AP Credit for Calculus II (AP BC CALCULUS), but I did not get AP credit for Calculus I, and I took calculus I in college through a traditional class do I mark Calculus I as a repeated course?

The Instruction manual doesn't make sense to me in this situation

"If you take a college level course for which you already have been granted AP credit by the same institution, this course is considered a Repeat. For example, if you received AP credit for your AP Psychology course and took an Introduction to Psychology course at the same undergraduate institution, you should list Introduction to Psychology as a Repeat."

No it is not a repeated course

You took the AP Calc I but the college did not grant you credit
The instruction notes if you did get granted credit

It doesnt matter that you took AP course/exam, it only matters if the college granted you credit
The college didnt grant you the credit, therefore it is not a repeated course

Hi everyone,

Quick publications question: I first-authored a paper that was presented in a conference and was published in the conference proceedings. I never submitted it to a journal, so it remains as a "proceeded paper". Should I mention this paper in the publications section of the AMCAS?

Also, if I am currently writing a paper to submit to Nature within the next month or so, can I include that as well?

Thanks in advance! :)

Quick publications question: I first-authored a paper that was presented in a conference and was published in the conference proceedings. I never submitted it to a journal, so it remains as a "proceeded paper". Should I mention this paper in the publications section of the AMCAS?

goes as work and activity under experience type "presentations/posters"

Also, if I am currently writing a paper to submit to Nature within the next month or so, can I include that as well?

no, you can mention it as part of research but until it has be accepted for publication, its is hypothetical

Can the LOR be received by AMCAS before submitting the primary?

If certain schools have 2 science LOR and 1 humanities letter, etc requirements, will a committee letter override these requirements?

Can the LOR be received by AMCAS before submitting the primary?
Yes

When will AMCAS begin accepting letters of evaluation?

AMCAS will begin accepting letters of evaluation on the same day that the AMCAS application opens.

If certain schools have 2 science LOR and 1 humanities letter, etc requirements, will a committee letter override these requirements?

Yes, at the vast majority of medical schools committee letters supersede all specific requirements for individual letters

Last edited:
Yes

When will AMCAS begin accepting letters of evaluation?

AMCAS will begin accepting letters of evaluation on the same day that the AMCAS application opens.

Yes, at the vast majority of medical schools committee letters supersede all specific requirements for individual letters
[/QUOTE]
Thank you.

Also, does it make a difference if adding all my schools by June 7 (when I intend to submit) or prior to June 24th? Will adding them all on the first day allow for schools to receive my application faster or will it make no difference as long as they're all added by June 24th?

Thank you.

Also, does it make a difference if adding all my schools by June 7 (when I intend to submit) or prior to June 24th? Will adding them all on the first day allow for schools to receive my application faster or will it make no difference as long as they're all added by June 24th?[/QUOTE]

It wont make a difference at all. While AMCAS acts as a letter service, LORs processed independently from the AMCAS primary application.

How long does it take for AMCAS to process my letters and mark them received?

Letter(s) sent electronically will be updated as "Received" within one (1) business day. Letters sent via mail can take up to fifteen (15) business days from the time the letters are received.

Will all my letters be sent to the medical school at the same time?

AMCAS does not "hold" letters until all are received. Any of your letters that arrive at AMCAS while your application is being processed will be sent to your designated medical schools along with your application once your application has been processed. Letters that get to AMCAS after your application has been processed will be made available to your designated schools as soon as they are received.

Thank you.

Also, does it make a difference if adding all my schools by June 7 (when I intend to submit) or prior to June 24th? Will adding them all on the first day allow for schools to receive my application faster or will it make no difference as long as they're all added by June 24th?

It wont make a difference at all. While AMCAS acts as a letter service, LORs processed independently from the AMCAS primary application.

How long does it take for AMCAS to process my letters and mark them received?

Letter(s) sent electronically will be updated as "Received" within one (1) business day. Letters sent via mail can take up to fifteen (15) business days from the time the letters are received.

Will all my letters be sent to the medical school at the same time?

AMCAS does not "hold" letters until all are received. Any of your letters that arrive at AMCAS while your application is being processed will be sent to your designated medical schools along with your application once your application has been processed. Letters that get to AMCAS after your application has been processed will be made available to your designated schools as soon as they are received.
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I did not clarify that my question referred to the entire application itself and not just letters.
To rephrase:

Will adding additional schools post-June 7th submission (but before June 24th) affect when these schools receive my application to start screening, etc?
(i.e. Will adding additional schools on June 7th and June 23rd have the same application transmission date as long as my primary is submitted to AMCAS on June 7th?)

Sorry, I did not clarify that my question referred to the entire application itself and not just letters.
To rephrase:

Will adding additional schools post-June 7th submission (but before June 24th) affect when these schools receive my application to start screening, etc?
(i.e. Will adding additional schools on June 7th and June 23rd have the same application transmission date as long as my primary is submitted to AMCAS on June 7th?)

Adding additional schools will have no affect on transmission date

I took a P.E. class 5 times just for fun. Do I need to put down the 2nd-5th time all as repeat?

I received CLEP credit for 4 language courses during high school, since I was enrolled in a Dual Degree Program at a community college at the same time. However, when I access the coursework for the community college and select high school on the "Year in School" questions, the CLEP box option gets automatically disabled (It cannot be selected anymore). Any idea why??

I received CLEP credit for 4 language courses during high school, since I was enrolled in a Dual Degree Program at a community college at the same time. However, when I access the coursework for the community college and select high school on the "Year in School" questions, the CLEP box option gets automatically disabled (It cannot be selected anymore). Any idea why??

Do you have dual enrollment college listed as attended

I took a P.E. class 5 times just for fun. Do I need to put down the 2nd-5th time all as repeat?

If it is a class designed to be repeated, you do not have to mark it as a repeat

Do not select Repeat for courses designed to be repeated (e.g., Independent Study, Thesis,Chorus, etc).

Will we get a notification by like email or anything as soon as our transcripts have been received by the AAMC? I can see my schools have received the request forms and sent transcripts out, but I'm wondering if how much lag time there is b/w AAMC receiving the transcript and then saying they got it on AMCAS

Will we get a notification by like email or anything as soon as our transcripts have been received by the AAMC? I can see my schools have received the request forms and sent transcripts out, but I'm wondering if how much lag time there is b/w AAMC receiving the transcript and then saying they got it on AMCAS

See bolded below, You must assume that this is your responsibility; do not assume that AMCAS or any school will automatically email you for every step of the status. If there is some issue, you will be the one to suffer. This is where OCD and neurosis comes useful

(p7)The standard application processing steps are as follows:
*Acknowledgment of its receipt will be sent to you via email. You may also verify receipt through your application's Main Menu. This acknowledgment does not indicate that your materials are complete or that deadline requirements have been met.
*AMCAS will then determine if all official transcripts have arrived. If not, your application will be held until they have all been received. AMCAS will send an email notification every 10 business days until the missing transcripts arrive or until all deadlines have passed. You may also check the status of your transcript(s) by returning to your application’s Main Menu. Do not assume transcripts received by AMCAS are official until your application has been processed by AMCAS.
*If any transcripts are discovered to be missing or incomplete during verification, AMCAS will stop verifying your materials and send you an emailnotifying you of the problem. Omission of any necessary materials will cause processing delaysand possibly lead to missed deadlines.·
*When your application and all transcripts are on file, AMCAS verifies your entered coursework against your official transcripts

(p73) Monitor Application Status
AMCAS will make every attempt to process your application in a timely manner. You are responsible for regularly checking the status of your application from the time you submit your application to AMCAS through the date your application is received by your designated schools. It is important to verify that AMCAS receives your application, official transcript(s), and other required documentation. It is your responsibility to notify AMCAS if your designated medical schools have not received application material within two (2) to four (4) weeks after AMCAS completes processing. Until AMCAS completes processing, do not assume AMCAS has received all required application information and transcripts.

Click the Detail slink in the Account Info section on the Main Menu to review your AMCAS status. Check this page often. It is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, except for scheduled maintenance periods

Status
Not open for further replies.