**Official Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2014-2015**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejection Colorado

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
3.6 GPA
21 AA/ 22 TS

Interviewed at USC, NYU, UPitt, Western.

No acceptances yet, waitlisted at USC, NYU, and Western.

My confidence dwindles everyday :(

Reactions: 1 user
I thought I had it in the bag, guess I was wrong!
I submitted first day of August, maybe it's a little late.
You'll get in somewhere! I also applied in August which I know now is something we shouldn't do. Haha good luck!!

Rejection VCU, no interview so not surprised.

Haven't really said much because it is a little bit of a special circumstance given what happened to me. But basically: 3.0 GPA (3.7 GPA after 3 years but dropped in final year after a family crisis), 18 AA DAT, years working in dental office, 4 humanitarian campaigns around the globe, 5 years published research, community service, sports, etc. I hate to think that it is a numbers game, and I'd of hoped my past record of grades would show for that, but the pile of rejections say otherwise.

Reactions: 4 users
Haven't really said much because it is a little bit of a special circumstance given what happened to me. But basically: 3.0 GPA (3.7 GPA after 3 years but dropped in final year after a family crisis), 18 AA DAT, years working in dental office, 4 humanitarian campaigns around the globe, 5 years published research, community service, sports, etc. I hate to think that it is a numbers game, and I'd of hoped my past record of grades would show for that, but the pile of rejections say otherwise.
Stay positive and reapply if you must (I will be too).. Our time will come :)

Your condition is almost the same like mine. I have a 3.0 as well but my final semester dropped me from 3.7 to 3.0 because of a family emergency that I had. I try to explain to schools that it was a condition that was unbearable but still :( I also have 18 on my DAT and this is my second year applying. I am going to apply next year again and see what happens. I will re-take the DAT. I feel your pain. Stay positive and try again next year. I will try the same!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well since everyone is confessing I also made an 18 on my DAT. I will also be re-testing and re-applying so stay strong. We will make it :).

Reactions: 2 users
I'll take the confession one step further!

This cycle I applied to law, medical, dental, podiatry and masters programs (I applied to dental schools only in the past and was also denied, so at request of my family I needed a backup plan). Besides dentistry, I got into all of the schools I applied to with scholarships (incredibly blessed). I come from a family of engineers and doctors, and I wanted to branch out doing my own thing with dentistry. I love working with my hands and I thought I had the grades/DAT to prove I can be a good fit for the field. The only field that has snubbed me is dentistry, which I find incredibly disheartening given my heavy experience and passion for the field. I poured my heart out into the applications and called all of the schools. I begged them to evaluate me holistically and realize that the last year of my studies, a crisis nearly wiped out my family (I've told some of you this privately). None have listened, none have given me the opportunity for an interview. During my other interviews, all of the institutions understood and valued the obstacles I've overcome and put behind me to pursue my dreams. Here's hoping one of the remaining schools that hasn't rejected me takes a chance and grants me an interview.

Given my financial circumstances (and just in general where I am with my family/obligations), I won't have the opportunity to apply again for next cycle, so I went big this year. At this point in the stage, I am doubtful from hearing back from any of the dental schools, but who knows. As always, I am so proud and happy for everyone who got interviews and offers already. I truly wish I could be amongst you as a friend, classmate, and future dentist. Study hard and don't give up on your dreams. I'll still be around here on the boards since I'm rooting for many of you!

Reactions: 11 users

This cycle I applied to law, medical, dental, podiatry and masters programs (I applied to dental schools only in the past and was also denied, so at request of my family I needed a backup plan). Besides dentistry, I got into all of the schools I applied to with scholarships (incredibly blessed). I come from a family of engineers and doctors, and I wanted to branch out doing my own thing with dentistry. I love working with my hands and I thought I had the grades/DAT to prove I can be a good fit for the field. The only field that has snubbed me is dentistry, which I find incredibly disheartening given my heavy experience and passion for the field. I poured my heart out into the applications and called all of the schools. I begged them to evaluate me holistically and realize that the last year of my studies, a crisis nearly wiped out my family (I've told some of you this privately). None have listened, none have given me the opportunity for an interview. During my other interviews, all of the institutions understood and valued the obstacles I've overcome and put behind me to pursue my dreams. Here's hoping one of the remaining schools that hasn't rejected me takes a chance and grants me an interview.

Given my financial circumstances (and just in general where I am with my family/obligations), I won't have the opportunity to apply again for next cycle, so I went big this year. At this point in the stage, I am doubtful from hearing back from any of the dental schools, but who knows. As always, I am so proud and happy for everyone who got interviews and offers already. I truly wish I could be amongst you as a friend, classmate, and future dentist. Study hard and don't give up on your dreams. I'll still be around here on the boards since I'm rooting for many of you!
3.0 GPA and 18 AA is just not competitive enough. You would definitely need at least a 20AA if not higher at the minimum to be competitive with a 3.0.

Reactions: 1 users

You got into law, medical, podiatry and master's programs but you are gonna decline all of those acceptances to apply to dental school again??? Dang man... You are either super dedicated or crazy! :p But in all seriousness, that already is quite a feat getting into all of those programs! Congrats!

Interview #4 (Better late than never!): NYU
Notification Date: 3/17/15
Interview Date: 3/26/15

Residency: GA
AADSAS mail-out date: 09/15/2014
GPA (science, overall): 3.25, 3.10 (I'm a post-bac student, my undergrad was in accounting, have work experience.)
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/19/17/25/QR - 16

Interviewed: Tennessee, LECOM, Tufts
Rejected: 8 schools, don't have time to list them.
Waitlisted at Tennessee, Lecom, Tufts.

Awaiting first acceptance. I'm optimistic, but trying to stay realistic concerning my chances this late in the cycle.

Reactions: 4 users
3.0 GPA and 18 AA is just not competitive enough. You would definitely need at least a 20AA if not higher at the minimum to be competitive with a 3.0.

I don't know, I've heard plenty of people getting in with lower stats than mine. Of course my stats could be better, but given that my GPA is out of my control, I guess I could have taken the DAT again. Just limited by financials to take it again.

You got into law, medical, podiatry and master's programs but you are gonna decline all of those acceptances to apply to dental school again??? Dang man... You are either super dedicated or crazy! :p But in all seriousness, that already is quite a feat getting into all of those programs! Congrats!

Thanks! Nope, I won't be applying another cycle. I'll be picking one of the programs I already got accepted into. Waiting out from dental schools though haha :hardy:

Thanks! Nope, I won't be applying another cycle. I'll be picking one of the programs I already got accepted into. Waiting out from dental schools though haha :hardy:

Go medical then specialize in ENT or oral surgery. There is a back door way to become an oral surgeon through medical school. Good luck!

Wow, that's impressive. You took the MCAT, LSAT and the DAT? You must have been quite busy the past couple of years. I'm just gonna be real and say if I was in your shoes I would proudly accept any position at those programs. You can be Dr. Zircushio M.D.! I've also known people who have gotten in dental school in the with lower stats than yours, and there are people on this forum who have very high stats who also haven't gotten accepted anywhere. Congrats on all your hard work and acceptances.

Wow, u got into med school with 3.0 GPA? Niiiiiiiiice. :)Congrats on ur acceptances. Which field are you planning to accept if things dont go as planned with dentistry?

I have a confession too. I am 27 years old. I have worked as a dental assistant for the past two years, but I was a medical student before that. I left medical school because my ex-wife, who was also a student at that school, cheated on me and I filed for divorced. It was too stressful for me, and i was losing custody of my kids and DOG (my poor buddy...). It was too much for me. I didn't pass any of my classes that year, and I eventually voluntarily dropped out despite the school insisting they can help me. To get back at my ex-wife, I contacted a lawyer to help me. The lawyer and I became great friends, and he really encouraged me to try to explore his field because there was too much trauma for me in medicine. In the meantime, to make up for my medical school debt and lawyer bills, I started working as a dental assistant for my uncle. My passion was still in health care, but going back to medical school still haunts me. With the help of my lawyer friend, I was able to do really well on my LSAT. I applied to a few schools and i got accepted into a few (hallelujah!). And because I was a former medical student I have already met all the requirements and decided to reapply for the hell of it. I was able to get into my state school with a scholarship. However, I have yet to been accepted at a dental school. I have 4 years of research, five publication, president of three different campus organization, been on humanitarian trips every summer since I was 18 ( almost every summer...), and I played college basketball. My passion right now is definitely in dentistry, and I would really blessed if I can start anew in dental school!

Reactions: 11 users
I have been interviewed at five schools but I havent heard back yet (Minnesota, Roseman, USC, LLU, Pitts). I have a GPA of 3.45/3.6 and DAT of 22/23/19. I applied pretty early to 13 schools (2nd batch), so I don't really expect to get more post-dec interviews.

I am still a senior in college working towards my B.S, but other than that I don't really have anything going for me right now. I will likely continue to volunteer here and there, but nothing too significantly (Getting pretty burnt out with all the EC TBH with nothing to show for). What would be a good plan B in case I don't get into dental school this cycle? Even if I reapply, I'd have a gap year. I'd like to get my hands wet at a research lab, but if I get into dental school I will need to leave the lab. If dental school doesn't ever work out, I think my only other viable career with my degree is something biotech related; I want to be prepared for that.

I am at a complete lost right now.

Wait. I thought you said that you are a senior in college? You got into med school without your BS?

Wait. I thought you said that you are a senior in college? You got into med school without your BS?
61ojfv.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
I have a confession too. I am 27 years old. I have worked as a dental assistant for the past two years, but I was a medical student before that. I left medical school because my ex-wife, who was also a student at that school, cheated on me and I filed for divorced. It was too stressful for me, and i was losing custody of my kids and DOG (my poor buddy...). It was too much for me. I didn't pass any of my classes that year, and I eventually voluntarily dropped out despite the school insisting they can help me. To get back at my ex-wife, I contacted a lawyer to help me. The lawyer and I became great friends, and he really encouraged me to try to explore his field because there was too much trauma for me in medicine. In the meantime, to make up for my medical school debt and lawyer bills, I started working as a dental assistant for my uncle. My passion was still in health care, but going back to medical school still haunts me. With the help of my lawyer friend, I was able to do really well on my LSAT. I applied to a few schools and i got accepted into a few (hallelujah!). And because I was a former medical student I have already met all the requirements and decided to reapply for the hell of it. I was able to get into my state school with a scholarship. However, I have yet to been accepted at a dental school. I have 4 years of research, five publication, president of three different campus organization, been on humanitarian trips every summer since I was 18 ( almost every summer...), and I played college basketball. My passion right now is definitely in dentistry, and I would really blessed if I can start anew in dental school!

Ever considered becoming a writer? I totally believed your story! :laugh:

Ever considered becoming a writer? I totally believed your story! :laugh:
Oh yeah, he totally forgot to mention that he got into PhD program in American Literature besides law and medical schools!

Rejected from VCU via portal this Monday, not even an email. Without interview even though I was really hopin'

Accepted to NYU on 3/19 by phone call and email!

Reactions: 8 users
Haven't posted my rejections yet.

Rejection: Maryland, UMKC, MWU-ILL, Creighton, Houston
Interviews: none
Not heard from: LECOM, MOSDOH

Application GPA after Academic updates
sGPA: ~3.2
oGPA: ~3.3

DAT: AA 19/ none under 17

Next cycles GPA's should be closer to 3.5 for sGPA and oGPA, doing massive amounts of volunteer work this semester/summer. Retaking DAT with Kaplan course shooting for a 20+

I forgot to mention, Kansas resident. We don't have an in state dental school. UMKC holds a few spots for us though.

Anyone else interview at OHSU lately? Any news? I've heard their OoS acceptance rate is pretty high if you get an interview, but I'm still really anxious.

Looking through all these posts make me excited for next year... Hopefully the next wave of applicants has as much success as most of you guys.

So what will happen once April 1st arrives for people putting down multiple deposits. Will schools offer scholarships if they see a student has multiple acceptance?

Found the answer on adea website. Basically adea will sent the names of students putting down multiple deposit to schools on April 5th and a school can rescind its offer but will give the student 15 days notice

So what will happen once April 1st arrives for people putting down multiple deposits. Will schools offer scholarships if they see a student has multiple acceptance?
No I don't think so, I think they will be sending notices that you will be declined if you don't drop other schools.

Has anyone received an acceptance from NYUCD from last weeks interviews?