*Official June 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aalamruad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! Figured I'd start this thread since I recently started preparing for the June 18th MCAT. For those of you who are taking the June 2nd MCAT, June 18th MCAT, or still considering one of those two dates, feel free to post here with any questions, comments, concerns, or support you have to offer!

Good luck to you all! Let's crush it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
wI'll definitely check them out. What do you think about the examkrackers approach? Also what are y'all using for psych/soc to make sure there are no random ass vocal words you don't know? I did some AAMC flashcards for psych and got blindsided on some terms I've never seen
I'm just accepting that I won't know everything in psych/soc and trying to reason answers based on wording of the question/passage/logic. I think a lot of people are getting tripped up and caught off guard because they expect that they should know everything, but from everyone I've talked to, I just don't think that is going to happen. Typically terms I don't know I can at least reason down to two choices, and making an educated guess on that and not freaking out because I'm caught off guard seems to work so far.

Reactions: 1 user
So i got a 501 on my first practice test yesterday (TPR). Is there any hope of bringing that up to a 516 in 4 weeks?
Definitely. TPR scores seem to be pretty deflated. Don't let the score get you down too much until you take the AAMC test, then actually give value to your score.

Do the section banks!! The bio one is killer but I've heard rumors about how it really helps! And people from May 20th exam said to do Chem/Phys section as well from section bank. Literally if you get it, its 300 questions for C/P, BB, and Psych
I did the Section Bank over the past 2 days with 3 different starts (one for each section). My brain feels like it's been ran over by a train! I really feel like the review of this is going to be the best practice of all, so I hope the rumors are true!

I'm going to review them over the next 2 days and write all the solutions, mechanisms, facts, etc in a notebook to keep track of all my incorrect answers. Learned two things:
1. Memorizing AA's in every detail and knowing metabolism intermediates with their structures is at least 20 questions throughout the entire MCAT, if not more
2. I had NO clue that H107A, meant that H is the one letter abbreviation for the amino acid that is substituted for A. Huge forehead slap, I missed 7 of those questions from that stupid error.
I went from feeling great on my 506 diagnostic to spending my 30-minute lunch break in utter disbelief.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else starting to feel super burnt out? Think I'll take today off as a break, but it's frustrating, I was doing really well last week/this past weekend, and today I just feel broken.

I did the Section Bank over the past 2 days with 3 different starts (one for each section). My brain feels like it's been ran over by a train! I really feel like the review of this is going to be the best practice of all, so I hope the rumors are true!

I'm going to review them over the next 2 days and write all the solutions, mechanisms, facts, etc in a notebook to keep track of all my incorrect answers. Learned two things:
1. Memorizing AA's in every detail and knowing metabolism intermediates with their structures is at least 20 questions throughout the entire MCAT, if not more
2. I had NO clue that H107A, meant that H is the one letter abbreviation for the amino acid that is substituted for A. Huge forehead slap, I missed 7 of those questions from that stupid error.
I went from feeling great on my 506 diagnostic to spending my 30-minute lunch break in utter disbelief.

I didn't know #2 either! I can't imagine what would have happened on the real thing if I hadn't figured it out.

Does anyone know anything about Altius test prep? I usually SUCK at C/P (currently getting mauled by the section bank– sweet jesus) but just took their 1/2 length practice exam and got 128. Huh?

Just finished the AAMC Sample. Got 66%/79%/81%/76%. Despite my stressing and feeling unprepared, it seems like I'm right where I want to be. I have some definite deficiencies in physics that should be easy to make up a few points in the next two weeks.

Also, I really don't like the AAMC solution descriptions.
You and me both buddy. How do you feel about taking the scored FL? I'm pretty nervous.

Is it too late to put in application at Costco? I heard they treat you like family....better than this MCAT

You and me both buddy. How do you feel about taking the scored FL? I'm pretty nervous.
I'm nervous too. Feels like once I do that, that's that and everything is done. I still need to do the section banks first, which I know will kick my butt. I think that is all I'm going to do before the test. Originally wanted to get another FL in, but I think it is better to not push things and stress myself out.

June 18th tester here to join the exam cram!

AAMC FL (before studying):
125/125/127/124 - 501

Then I read through all the EK books except BIO II (just took physiology) and physics (just took physics.. will just memorize the formulas and make sure I know how to use them.)

EK FL1:
59%/68%/73%/66% - 66.5% --> 506

AAMC FL (Retake for comparison):
127/126/127/128 - 508

Anybody have any advice to get to a 510? I want a 510 so bad... Hoping to push that psych score to a 129+ and the bio to 128+... chemistry is the bane of my existence and as long as I stay above a 125 I'll be happy. CARS is a devious mistress.

Future studying:
AAMC section banks
EK FL2
EK FL3
EK FL4
AAMC FL (unscored)

Thinking about doing the scored AAMC FL the week of exam week, but I feel like I won't forget the passages by then so probably not.

USEFUL LINK: I found this thread on SDN, it is to convert raw scores (like my EK FL1 score) to an MCAT score. Works for AAMC unscored and has lots of other great info for your MCAT predicted score on the test day!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/charts-predicting-mcat-scores.1176218/

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm I can't decide if I should do the Kaplan FL3 or the AAMC Scored today. I am so nervous about taking the AAMC Scored.
When is your test date? I understand your anxiety. I'm trying to decide if I should take it this weekend (and postpone if my score isn't what i want) or to just stick with my test date and take it closer to it (June 18th).

125/125/127/124 - 501

Then I read through all the EK books except BIO II (just took physiology) and physics (just took physics.. will just memorize the formulas and make sure I know how to use them.)

EK FL1:

127/126/127/128 - 508

Anybody have any advice to get to a 510? I want a 510 so bad... Hoping to push that psych score to a 129+ and the bio to 128+... chemistry is the bane of my existence and as long as I stay above a 125 I'll be happy. CARS is a devious mistress.

Future studying:
AAMC section banks
EK FL2
EK FL3
EK FL4
AAMC FL (unscored)

Thinking about doing the scored AAMC FL the week of exam week, but I feel like I won't forget the passages by then so probably not.

USEFUL LINK: I found this thread on SDN, it is to convert raw scores (like my EK FL1 score) to an MCAT score. Works for AAMC unscored and has lots of other great info for your MCAT predicted score on the test day!

I got almost the exact same score as you on the EKFL1. Haven't taken the AAMC FL yet, but did take NSFL1 and got a 512 on it. Unscored AAMC FL for me was roughly around 508 I think with conversion. I do think you'll be able to get up to 510 by test day (I'm hoping the same thing haha). I've just been drilling chem/phys question banks, reviewing biochem (I used EK for all studying and thought their Biochem was really weak and most of my missed questions in the B/B section were biochem), and casually reviewing psych/soc on off days. FYI EKFl2 C/P was EXTREMELY difficult and killed my confidence. AAMC and NS C/P were much easier IMO so keep that in mind and don't get too down on yourself if you don't do great on that section.

I got almost the exact same score as you on the EKFL1. Haven't taken the AAMC FL yet, but did take NSFL1 and got a 512 on it. Unscored AAMC FL for me was roughly around 508 I think with conversion. I do think you'll be able to get up to 510 by test day (I'm hoping the same thing haha). I've just been drilling chem/phys question banks, reviewing biochem (I used EK for all studying and thought their Biochem was really weak and most of my missed questions in the B/B section were biochem), and casually reviewing psych/soc on off days. FYI EKFl2 C/P was EXTREMELY difficult and killed my confidence. AAMC and NS C/P were much easier IMO so keep that in mind and don't get too down on yourself if you don't do great on that section.

I'm glad you told me, I purchased EK FL 2 yesterday! I was thinking about doing a NS FL, I've been reading what people have thought about them through the forums... If you think NS is pretty representative of AAMC I'll probably check it out.

I'd go ahead and take it, then. Sounds like you're right in the window of the ideal time to take it! Especially since Kaplan scores are really deflated, and I wouldn't want to have my confidence shot so soon before taking the real thing.
Yea I think I'll go ahead and take it now. Thanks!

I couldn't sleep last night until like 3am or something...cause I was deciding whether to take kaplan or the aamc. Today, I woke up too late past the 8am parameter to take the test and have simply decided to take the real darn thing now. Has anyone been having cramped legs and basic anxiety surging through the soul? I'm worried that I might have developed an anxiety disorder for the mcat.
plus I can't imagine doing kaplan anymore because if it truly is deflated, whatever I may be thinking with these forums saying a 10 point increase from practice may be getting too over my head. I don't know, I feel like giving up on this ugg.

Anyone out there who has completed Bio QP 1 & 2 and is willing to share their scores and how they felt about it? Not sure what is considered a "strong" score for the QPs.

Anyone out there who has completed Bio QP 1 & 2 and is willing to share their scores and how they felt about it? Not sure what is considered a "strong" score for the QPs.
I am still trying to finish the QPs. I still have about 40 questions more to go. So far I feel they are easy. Will let you know more when I am done with them.

Quick update: just finished first 1/2 of official guide questions, timed (didn't have time to do the whole thing today). 83% B/B, 80% C/P. Felt pretty straightforward, tbh.

Need some advice. All last week I barely got above 500 (last tuesday was my first time getting a 501 on AAMC FL. Otherwise EK, Kaplan, and TPR prior to Tuesday have been around 498).
3 days ago, i took NS FL1 and I got a 503. Today I took NS FL2 and I got a 507. :D I'm going through these questions and I learn a very random fact each time or remember something.
Do you guys think it's possible I can get at least a 510 on actual MCAT? (My exam is June 2nd.)

Just took the scored FL. It didn't go too well. I got a 511 (128/125/128/130). I am shocked by that CARS score since it was always my strongest score. I had been hoping for a 515 on the real thing.

Need some advice. All last week I barely got above 500 (last tuesday was my first time getting a 501 on AAMC FL. Otherwise EK, Kaplan, and TPR prior to Tuesday have been around 498).
3 days ago, i took NS FL1 and I got a 503. Today I took NS FL2 and I got a 507. :D I'm going through these questions and I learn a very random fact each time or remember something.
Do you guys think it's possible I can get at least a 510 on actual MCAT? (My exam is June 2nd.)

Absolutely!! The aamc may be the best indicator but obviously you didn't take it right before your test, as long as you have a solid content background going for you. The more you test, get used to the style of questions and reading these passages to find the accurate information you can definitely get in that score range in my opinion. Some people will say oh you're most likely to score what you got on the aamc, but I think since you have time and have been cranking out these problems and learning from your mistake pathologies you can definitely get your desired score. What day are you testing? Even though I say all of this I still stand by not testing till you feel comfortable. Confidence and having a level head going into it will be a big factor as well. Keep cranking out the practice, focusing on your weak points, and studying high yield topics and I have faith you'll get the score you want!
Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Absolutely!! The aamc may be the best indicator but obviously you didn't take it right before your test, as long as you have a solid content background going for you. The more you test, get used to the style of questions and reading these passages to find the accurate information you can definitely get in that score range in my opinion. Some people will say oh you're most likely to score what you got on the aamc, but I think since you have time and have been cranking out these problems and learning from your mistake pathologies you can definitely get your desired score. What day are you testing? Even though I say all of this I still stand by not testing till you feel comfortable. Confidence and having a level head going into it will be a big factor as well. Keep cranking out the practice, focusing on your weak points, and studying high yield topics and I have faith you'll get the score you want!
Best of luck

Literally my boost of confidence came last night when I was finally able to get CARS questions right. Today was first time I saw a score above 124 (127). I'm testing on June 2nd, in 9 days. I decided to do a practice test every other day. I took the AAMC one last tuesday and I'm thinking about retaking that next tuesday as my final practice one to see did i learn anything. Otherwise, Thursday is NS3 and Saturday/Sunday is NS4.

Literally my boost of confidence came last night when I was finally able to get CARS questions right. Today was first time I saw a score above 124 (127). I'm testing on June 2nd, in 9 days. I decided to do a practice test every other day. I took the AAMC one last tuesday and I'm thinking about retaking that next tuesday as my final practice one to see did i learn anything. Otherwise, Thursday is NS3 and Saturday/Sunday is NS4.

I understand the excitement! Getting the hang of CARS is brutal and it takes a special mind to be consistent on them. Have you taken the AAMC unscored yet? If not I'd suggest that as your last practice, just so you can have a better idea of your current situation. The conversions aren't too accurate but if you made a significant improvement from your scored you'll be able to tell

I understand the excitement! Getting the hang of CARS is brutal and it takes a special mind to be consistent on them. Have you taken the AAMC unscored yet? If not I'd suggest that as your last practice, just so you can have a better idea of your current situation. The conversions aren't too accurate but if you made a significant improvement from your scored you'll be able to tell

Yeah I've done the unscored + the scored (the unscored was close to a 494 on that sunday. then i took the scored on that tuesday). I've done the section banks for C/P and BB. Tomorrow I'm gonna do Psych and just review all the notes I've been writing for all these tests. Yesterday I did the official guide and I did bad on all 4 (except for CARS where i got 22/30) but I think it was because I did it close to 11 PM and I had been up since 6.

I'm glad you told me, I purchased EK FL 2 yesterday! I was thinking about doing a NS FL, I've been reading what people have thought about them through the forums... If you think NS is pretty representative of AAMC I'll probably check it out.
I signed up for the free NS FL1 so it was literally a no brainer to take it since it's free haha. Just costs you your time which is good practice for the real thing anyways. I did think it had a similar feel except less data analysis than the real aamc materials. Passages were really long though (first time I've legit run out of time on a couple sections) so that was a good lesson for me on pacing. Definitely worth taking if only for stamina and endurance purposes. Also a couple of questions on the NS test mirrored some I've seen on aamc materials so I do think they're a pretty good representation.

When you say metabolic intermediates, what do you mean by that?

Just got a 43% on the C/P Section bank....I was averaging a 125/126 for C/P on NS tests and wanted to get up to a 127. My test is on June 2. Is there still hope?

Just got a 43% on the C/P Section bank....I was averaging a 125/126 for C/P on NS tests and wanted to get up to a 127. My test is on June 2. Is there still hope?

try to do some content review again. That just means you did not understand the concepts well enough. Focus on the high yield topics rather than basic of the basics considering you know those.

It's killer. AAMC C/P scored practice was a 128. Did the section bank at 48%. Felt like I needed a dictionary to define some of the terms and then tea leaves to predict an answer.

I'm torn between taking NS 1 and EK 2 today guys, what should I do? EK 2 is already purchased, and NS 1 is free so money doesn't matter.. I just can't decide.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

How representative are the QP's of what we will see on test day? I did Bio one and felt like it was easier than any practice material I had seen before, though I still only ended up with a 73% . I made some stupid mistakes for sure.

Yeah I've done the unscored + the scored (the unscored was close to a 494 on that sunday. then i took the scored on that tuesday). I've done the section banks for C/P and BB. Tomorrow I'm gonna do Psych and just review all the notes I've been writing for all these tests. Yesterday I did the official guide and I did bad on all 4 (except for CARS where i got 22/30) but I think it was because I did it close to 11 PM and I had been up since 6.

Hmm I'm not really too sure then, someone else on here might know the validity of NS exams. I don't really know much about them. Do you notice any difference in question style that could make you think you're better at NS compared to aamc exams? I thought I'd always heard people did better on the real thing/aamc material compares to all test companies

125/125/127/124 - 501

EK FL1:

127/126/127/128 - 508

Future studying:
AAMC section banks
EK FL2
EK FL3
EK FL4
AAMC FL (unscored)

I used EK as well and feel that they were deficient in the Psych/Socio section after doing the section banks. There were at least 5 terms that I flat out didn't know that should have been easy points.
Do the section banks and you'll get a good feel of what the rest of your prep needs to focus on. As much AAMC material as you possibly can! It's very different from Next Steps FL, EK material

Hmm I'm not really too sure then, someone else on here might know the validity of NS exams. I don't really know much about them. Do you notice any difference in question style that could make you think you're better at NS compared to aamc exams? I thought I'd always heard people did better on the real thing/aamc material compares to all test companies

Honestly I thought NS was a little harder than the AAMC. and some people I've talked to from the May 20th exam said that C/P on the NS is a good representative, especially because AAMC treated it like biochem in the practice exams. Now, I'm seeing a LOT more physics and gen chem in C/P.

@Lola222 There were 2 questions that required you to know the intermediates of Krebs (succinate and fumarate) along with their structures. And another few that asked about the pentose phosphate pathway and what it produced.

I feel like Biochem was much more of an emphasis than I realized, which is my mistake because every single person that posts in the 509+ forum says "Memorize amino acids, structures, abbreviations, etc". I literally LOL'ed when I saw 4 strings of 15+ amino acids and they asked which peptide would elute in a anionic column with the least amount of NaCl. That and the resistor question can NOT be answered in less than 90 seconds.
It's killer. AAMC C/P scored practice was a 128. Did the section bank at 48%. Felt like I needed a dictionary to define some of the terms and then tea leaves to predict an answer.
If tea leaves help, then I'm shaking those things all over the place on test day. I was about the same percentages on section banks. I'm kind of surprised at how terrible their explanations are. They focus so much on telling you what part of the outline that the question is covered under and then say "B is correct because it is the definition of X".

Reactions: 1 users
I'm torn between taking NS 1 and EK 2 today guys, what should I do? EK 2 is already purchased, and NS 1 is free so money doesn't matter.. I just can't decide.

I'm thinking about doing Next Step FL tomorrow ($free.99) and then the EK FLs since I have heard the best feedback about them. Either way you're good.

you'll end up taking both eventually, so just go with whichever one you already have. it took a couple hours to get my email for the free NS test so if you haven't done that yet, then do it soon. :)

I'm watching some Kahn Academy videos to reinforce as I go through the chemistry Q pack, and damn is it annoying how they whip out a calculator to do calculations even though it's in the MCAT prep section.

I feel like Biochem was much more of an emphasis than I realized, which is my mistake because every single person that posts in the 509+ forum says "Memorize amino acids, structures, abbreviations, etc". I literally LOL'ed when I saw 4 strings of 15+ amino acids and they asked which peptide would elute in a anionic column with the least amount of NaCl. That and the resistor question can NOT be answered in less than 90 seconds.

I felt like I had a decent grasp on the amino acids before I did the AAMC full length LOL. Realizing that at least 5 of the questions I missed were biochem led me to order the Kaplan Biochem book that night (EK books are weak on biochem IMO and the text book I have isn't great) haha. I figure Biochem is important enough that if I spend a few extra days just working through the Kaplan Biochem, it will be well worth it compared to some other low-yield topics that I wanted to refresh.

Honestly I thought NS was a little harder than the AAMC. and some people I've talked to from the May 20th exam said that C/P on the NS is a good representative, especially because AAMC treated it like biochem in the practice exams. Now, I'm seeing a LOT more physics and gen chem in C/P.

I concur about the AAMC questions, I'm taking the unscored right now and Jesus Christ Kaplan asked maybe 3-4 physics Q's a FL. AAMC loves electricity lol, also I realllllly need to start memorizing AAs. Seems as though high yield stuff is REALLLLY high yield, like more than I thought. Gen chem and especially any substrate/enzyme affinity/concentration shiz is seeming pretty high yield as well.

Do you guys think triaging cars passages is a waste of time? I'm not sure how I feel about it because time is so crucial