***Official Midwestern-Arizona Class of 2021 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad they reject us earlier rather than stringing us along for a ride and giving us false hope.

@JUSTaDentist I have very similar sGPA and BCP as yours. I personally emailed MWU-AZ, they are particularly strict about having much higher science and BCP GPA. They told me that personally in my case, the rest of my application was strong and they liked my PS and EC's but they were worried about my lackluster academic science grades. They were very nice about it.

Who did you email? I would like to ask them why too :/

Members don't see this ad.

Meaning, you have to have a much higher sGPA than what she posted? So they want someone with a sGPA of 3.5 and above?
Yes pretty much. A lot of people on SDN that I've been seeing getting interviews consistently have sGPA or BCP higher than at least 3.4 GPA. Even like a 23 TS doesn't make up for lackluster school grades. The ones with much lower stats getting interviews likely did some sort of SMP at Midwestern.

Reactions: 1 user
For reference, I called and asked what made my application strong/weak. I got a strong impression that DAT and sGPA were important factors, though other topics mentioned were shadowing hours and LORs.

For further reference, I'm a nontrad with a 3.16 overall, 3.71 science, and 20AA, 20TS, 21Bio, 21PAT, 25RC. I have about 300 shadowing (dental assistant). LORs from childhood orthodontist, anatomy professor, and ochem professor (set the curve for first semester).

Edit: interviewing Oct 18

Members don't see this ad :)
BTW, I received my invite this morning (4am).. Available dates were Sept 20 and Nov 9

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Are you renting a car? Wanna split a room/car??

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Spliting a room would be cool, but Im planing to uber/lyft around.

I was invited for an interview 3 weeks ago (about 6 hours after I submitted my application). I scheduled my interview for October 11!

FYI, I had a GPA of 3.37 with DAT 24 AA, 23 TS, 24 PAT

Yes pretty much. A lot of people on SDN that I've been seeing getting interviews consistently have sGPA or BCP higher than at least 3.4 GPA. Even like a 23 TS doesn't make up for lackluster school grades. The ones with much lower stats getting interviews likely did some sort of SMP at Midwestern.

I think there's more to it than just grades. I have a 3.20 sGPA, 3.39 BCP, overall is a 3.08. My DAT was 19AA, 17PAT, 18TS. I do however have almost 400 hours of shadowing with 2 general dentists and an oral surgeon. I have tons of volunteer hours due to being in a community service oriented fraternity. I also have both undergraduate research experience and graduate research experience. And lastly, I think what helped me the most is that I'm currently working on obtaining two Masters Degrees (Biology and Chemistry), in which I have a 4.0 overall in grad courses. My grades and DAT are not spectacular by any means but I still got an invite @redhotchiligochu

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I got waitlisted for an interview. I'm guessing they're looking for someone with more experience and not just looking at the numbers. My extracurriculars/dental experience are pretty lacking relative to the rest of you guys!

24AA 3.45GPA

Good luck everyone!

I got waitlisted for an interview. I'm guessing they're looking for someone with more experience and not just looking at the numbers. My extracurriculars/dental experience are pretty lacking relative to the rest of you guys!

24AA 3.45GPA

Good luck everyone!
This is insane. I can't understand how they deny you an interview with your 24AA. Do you have like, fewer than 100 hrs of shadowing or something?

I think there's more to it than just grades. I have a 3.20 sGPA, 3.39 BCP, overall is a 3.08. My DAT was 19AA, 17PAT, 18TS. I do however have almost 400 hours of shadowing with 2 general dentists and an oral surgeon. I have tons of volunteer hours due to being in a community service oriented fraternity. I also have both undergraduate research experience and graduate research experience. And lastly, I think what helped me the most is that I'm currently working on obtaining two Masters Degrees (Biology and Chemistry), in which I have a 4.0 overall in grad courses. My grades and DAT are not spectacular by any means but I still got an invite @redhotchiligochu
It's definitely your Masters degrees then. Not trying to argue but seems like 80-90% of the people with your stats have either been waitlisted or rejected so far. Just trying to point that out. But glad to hear you got invited for an interview!

This is insane. I can't understand how they deny you an interview with your 24AA. Do you have like, fewer than 100 hrs of shadowing or something?

I have 105 hours of shadowing. I shadowed general dentists, an ortho, 2 perios, an oral surgeon, and an endo.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted for interview 8/10... App Completed 8/8. sGPA 3.34 GPA 3.42 BCP 3.23 19AA - 18TS - 20OC - 17GC - 18BIO - 20RC - 21QR - 22PAT, Shadowing 155 hours, Volunteering 171 hours, research 100 hours. Do they actually move people off the waitlist is there hope?

Last edited:
Quick question, I submitted my supplementary application on Sunday and on an interview today. However, they scheduled me for an interview on December 8th and not a pre-December interview...is that strange or is that normal?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Quick question, I submitted my supplementary application on Sunday and on an interview today. However, they scheduled me for an interview on December 8th and not a pre-December interview...is that strange or is that normal?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
MWU-AZ sent out a bunch of interviews in the last month or so, so I think there are no pre-Dec interview spot left. Unfortunate, I know, but you'll just have to go with that and decide whether you want to attend this interview or not.

Last edited:
Received an interview invite last night! But unfortunately the only date available was December 8th. Seems pretty late....

I was waitlisted about a month ago and just got an email that I was rejected. Sad life.

Quick question: For those receiving interviews, are all your pre reqs completed?

I'm thinking about applying here but I still have 3 pre-reqs to take which include microbio, anatomy, and physiology.
I'll call admissions tomorrow but I feel like they may tell me to apply anyways but I want to see some actual evidence of an applicant receiving an interview without the completed pre-reqs. I kind of feel like 3 pre-reqs not taken yet is a lot.

I was accepted here without having micro or physics II done. So yes, it is possible. I would still call and ask about not having 3 but if you show that they are in progress then you might be fine.

I was accepted here without having micro or physics II done. So yes, it is possible. I would still call and ask about not having 3 but if you show that they are in progress then you might be fine.

I'm missing physics, but got an interview. Finished all other major reqs.

Thanks for letting me know, appreciate the response!

Ahh, the dreaded "Waitlist for Interview" email... Unless there is a miracle this year, guess I won't be flying to AZ.
I feel you, they put mine "on hold" the day after they sent me the email saying they received my secondary and that it was ready for review. Hopefully we'll have a stroke of luck! Did you apply to MWU-IL as well?

I feel you, they put mine "on hold" the day after they sent me the email saying they received my secondary and that it was ready for review. Hopefully we'll have a stroke of luck! Did you apply to MWU-IL as well?

Sure did.

Does anyone with the most recent dental school guide know the university's rate of acceptance for interviewed students OOS? If not, lmk and I'll bite the gargantuan $15 bullet to share that info ...

In-state applicants: 169; 72 got invite; 37 accepted = 51% of in-state applicants interviewed got accepted
Out-of-state applicants: 2,612; 448 got interviewed; 102 accepted = 22.8% of out-of-state applicants interviewed got accepted

In-state applicants: 169; 72 got invite; 37 accepted = 51% of in-state applicants interviewed got accepted
Out-of-state applicants: 2,612; 448 got interviewed; 102 accepted = 22.8% of out-of-state applicants interviewed got accepted
Where did you get these stats?

if their class is 140, i'm pretty sure they accept more than 102 out of the 448 they interviewed. because not all of those 102 will accept that acceptance letter from MWUAZ. plus on the link, it say estimated number of enrolled, not accepted.

Last edited:
It looks like Midwestern has decently large class size. This is kind of random and I've been reading both websites but couldn't find much contrast. Does anyone know enough info to say what's the different between the schools Midwestern Az and ASDOH ? I'm just really curious

For those who scheduled interviews, does it still say "received/under review" for your status in the school decisions tab?

It looks like Midwestern has decently large class size. This is kind of random and I've been reading both websites but couldn't find much contrast. Does anyone know enough info to say what's the different between the schools Midwestern Az and ASDOH ? I'm just really curious

I hope this helps.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...rn-az-my-perception-after-interviews.1099635/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...university-of-washington-uw-and-nova.1173188/

Last edited:
I got an interview on the 19th of Sept. OOS.
22 AA/ 22TS.
3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA

I got an interview on the 19th of Sept. OOS.
22 AA/ 22TS.
3.5 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA

Congrats! When did you send your secondary and have your app complete if you don't mind me asking?

Congrats! When did you send your secondary and have your app complete if you don't mind me asking?

I turned in my secondary on 7/7. Idr the day I submitted my application exactly but it was someone third week of June

How long is the interview?
Only 2 people were interviewed at a time, in separate rooms, last year, so the whole process takes some time. I want to say that your one on one time was like 30ish minutes. You sit in a lounge style room with all of the applicants until everyone is finished and current students come to talk to you. There were also food and drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.