*Official September 10, 2016 MCAT Thread*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frosted_flake

waaahmbulance attendant
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking the MCAT on September 10th, who else?

Lets form an awesome support system!

If this has already been created (I searched for a few minutes) someone let me know and I will delete it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone have anything fun planned for Weds? I wonder if its a good idea to have something to do, either to celebrate or to avoid moping at home...

Trying to stay as calm as possible. :scared:
I am busy with class and work until 11PM so hahahaha maybe if I did well I'll go out for drinks after. On another note... I am freaking out!!!

Hi everyone! My name's Christina, and I'm a Stanford psychology alum studying how people respond to academic challenges. I'm conducting a study on the MCAT in which you can earn $3 in less than 10 minutes, and help out future test takers.

If you sign-up here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8WQFYST I’ll email you a link to a short survey about your MCAT experience on Saturday, 10/15/16. If you participate, you’ll receive an Amazon gift-card via email. Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Studying for the DAT right now and I must say, all this MCAT studying has really helped out.

Also, the questions are so much easier. It's like every biology class in college level questions of multiple choice. No big block passage of death and then remember every detail.

I have to work from 3-11 that day. I work as an EMT/patient care tech in an ER. I MIGHT be able to get my score before getting to work, depending on the time of day they're released.
However, I'm not sure this is a smart idea, because I don't know how well I'll be able to focus on my high stress job if I'm upset about a ****ty score. On the other hand, if I don't check it I might go crazy or just be super distracted all shift.
Ugh.

Oh man, well on the bright side work will sort of keep us from dwelling on it...those with exams I truly feel for ugh

Reactions: 1 user
I have to work from 3-11 that day. I work as an EMT/patient care tech in an ER. I MIGHT be able to get my score before getting to work, depending on the time of day they're released.
However, I'm not sure this is a smart idea, because I don't know how well I'll be able to focus on my high stress job if I'm upset about a ****ty score. On the other hand, if I don't check it I might go crazy or just be super distracted all shift.
Ugh.

Yeah I know myself, I just want to know! But I can see how the score can throw you off too...either way. I work in a lab so it won't be nearly as intense. Maybe it will be worth waiting until your shift is over, hopefully it wont be a killer day though.

Also, may be good to have a mantra: Its just a number, it does not define my life. It will not make or break my application. It is just a part of the journey.

Almost one more day!!! :nailbiting:

Ugh.

The good thing about working in the ER is that you will be distracted so the outcome won't be that bad if you did poorly. I used to work in the ER and whenever I'd check my phone to see that I got an annoying text/email, it would bother me for a minute before one of the nurses would ask me to do something. Maybe check it during your break or sneak into the bathroom for 5-10 mins to check it on your phone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dang that sucks, I have a p-chem test next Thursday and I have not been able to study for it all. I do have a Microbiology exam then next day but that class is easy.lol Good luck with the score release and test.

Good luck to you too! I hope we are all pleasantly surprised.....projected 506 becomes a 516. That would be nice lol

Reactions: 1 users
Guys, the way I see things, it is exactly like a football career.

Football players are evaluated based on 16 games a season. We are evaluated on ~9 classes a year.
Football players are evaluated at the NFL combine in Indianapolis - a stressful 2-3 day event with multiple sections. We are evaluated similarly on our MCAT.
The NFL has 32 teams that will only select 7 players each in the draft, similar to how on average we will apply to around 30-35 schools.

What's the kicker about how this is so similar? Tom Brady was far from being the 1st pick of the NFL draft. 198 players were selected before him. He was the underdog. Of course now he is the greatest of all time quarterback with 4 Super Bowl rings, 3 Super Bowl MVP award, 2 NFL MVP award, and 11 Pro Bowl selection. Likewise, this process and its number can have little correlation to how much you might break out as a star physician. Antonio Brown is another example just like Brady.

In a game you will get sacked and lose 10 yards. You will fumble the ball and throw interceptions. It is natural and it happens. Hunker down and do your job. Keep the ball moving forward and score.

If you don't get drafted, there is always free agency (our version of the wait list) and there are also plenty of stars that came out of that path!

Ughhh omg.. it's a horrible feeling, right?!

On the bright side, we took the test! I mean it's not like the night before the actual test..who am I kidding I'm literally dying over here. Thought about going home for the night but realized my parents would freak me out even more waaaaabfuehgrkfkihf

Football players are evaluated based on 16 games a season. We are evaluated on ~9 classes a year.
Football players are evaluated at the NFL combine in Indianapolis - a stressful 2-3 day event with multiple sections. We are evaluated similarly on our MCAT.
The NFL has 32 teams that will only select 7 players each in the draft, similar to how on average we will apply to around 30-35 schools.

What's the kicker about how this is so similar? Tom Brady was far from being the 1st pick of the NFL draft. 198 players were selected before him. He was the underdog. Of course now he is the greatest of all time quarterback with 4 Super Bowl rings, 3 Super Bowl MVP award, 2 NFL MVP award, and 11 Pro Bowl selection. Likewise, this process and its number can have little correlation to how much you might break out as a star physician. Antonio Brown is another example just like Brady.

In a game you will get sacked and lose 10 yards. You will fumble the ball and throw interceptions. It is natural and it happens. Hunker down and do your job. Keep the ball moving forward and score.

If you don't get drafted, there is always free agency (our version of the wait list) and there are also plenty of stars that came out of that path!

Beautiful. Thanks for posting needed this

Talking about NFL drafts, imagine if we get accepted into med school the same way as this LOL. In all seriousness, the emotions of anxiety into joy is how I want us all to feel

Watermellons comin'.

On the bright side, we took the test! I mean it's not like the night before the actual test..who am I kidding I'm literally dying over here. Thought about going home for the night but realized my parents would freak me out even more waaaaabfuehgrkfkihf
Very true! I need to stop beating myself up about it. If I don't score as well, I have plenty of time to improve. Just freaking out. Haven't been able to sleep properly. ITS WEDNESDAY EVERYONE

I am so crushed right now. I scored 5 points below my lowest score on any of the practice tests I took, including the AAMC scored and several Next Step exams which are supposed to be lower than actual scores.
I don't know what happened. Except that I only slept a couple hours the night before.
This is lower than I ever expected to have to prepare myself for. I don't even know what to do right now.

507! 126/125/128/128
I'm honestly not surprised because those were my typical scores in each section (except I usually scored higher in CARS)
Not sure if I need to retake (3.5 sGPA, 3.8 cGPA) but I'm really hoping I can run with this.

Congrats to those of you who got 519!!! That's an amazing score :)

509, 128/127/127/127

Bummed honestly. I was scoring 130 and 131 in bio and psych practice tests. I think they're making those sections more difficult than in the beginning and curves are probably harsh. Scored 2 points below scored, was hoping to be among those who lucked out :/

509, 128/127/127/127

Bummed honestly. I was scoring 130 and 131 in bio and psych practice tests. I think they're making those sections more difficult than in the beginning and curves are probably harsh. Scored 2 points below scored, was hoping to be among those who lucked out :/
That's a solid score though! Solid enough to post in that thread on here

My score is lower than I expected and I most likely will have to retake. Pleasantly surprised about P/S though. 506: 125 C/P, 126 CARS, 125 B/B, 130 P/S.

So happy right now, here is my tl;dr concerning my MCAT journey.

Old MCAT (2014) 27 [9/8/10] which put me in the 61st percentile.

Nearly three years later I decided to spend the summer studying for this beast...

Kaplan diagnostic: 497

Highest prep company practice test: 509

AAMC Unscored 74%

AAMC Scored 508 [126/128/128/126]

Actual MCAT: 510! [ 127/126/129/128] 84 percentile.

Slightly disappointed my CARS score dipped by two points (never got below a 128), but it still puts me in the 74th percentile. I'm assuming the scale was probably less forgiving in that section. Completely shocked by my increase in C/P and P/S. Also very happy about finally breaking the 50 question mark for Bio and getting that 129.

Congratulations to everyone else! If you didn't get the score you wanted/needed don't worry just buckle down and kill it next time! If I can jump up from being in the 61 percentile to 84 then so can you!

That's a solid score though! Solid enough to post in that thread on here

Thank you :)

You did great too! Dude with your grades you should be fine! I heard schools are much much more lenient with the new MCAT scores than before. I think they realize we are limited in materials and aamc is still working stuff out. I'm telling you the psych section on my exam was so wishy washy everything was down to two, I was consistently scoring great idk what happened, maybe Princeton matierals aren't good. Bio and psych threw me for a whirl I think test fatigue is real when you don't sleep