Forum Members Official "Should I Retake?" Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT 12/21/18: This thread is being retired, as the majority of posts (>80 pages) pertain to the old MCAT that is no longer relevant to current applicants. You can find the current "Should I Retake" thread here: Forum Members - Should I Retake the MCAT?

For those of you who are trying to figure out whether you should re-take, this is the thread for you. Post your dilemma here if you want advice from other SDN folks. Please note that you should take the opinions you get from SDN as one source of advice; you would be wise to also consult your premed advisor before making this decision. Here is my personal advice for those considering whether to re-take:

Definitely DO retake:
-if you scored below a 24. Some allopathic schools will screen out students with scores lower than 24, which is about the mean score for all test-takers.
-if you had some kind of major problem during the test that affected your performance (ex. you started puking or running a 102 degree temperature)
-if you took the test without completing the four pre-reqs (one year each of biology, chemistry, physics, and organic) and/or without studying for it
-if you left large numbers of questions blank​

Definitely do NOT retake:
-if you scored a 30 or better, especially if all of your individual section scores were an 8 or better
-if your section subscores (the numerical ones) are all good, but you didn't perform well on the writing section (the letter score)

Gray area-it's not obvious what to do:
-if you scored 30+ but with one section below an 8
-if you had some minor nuisances (ex. a noisy test room) during the test and you're not sure if it affected your performance
-if you studied thoroughly for the test and you scored within the range of your practice exams, but your score is in the middle range (24-29)​

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 users
Retaker, got my test score today.

8/22/2013: 10/11/11
8/10/2012: 7/8/9

cGPA: 3.13
sGPA: 2.76

Went to an Ivy, URM.

Currently enrolled in a post-bacc program, taking 23-27 credits of science at a private university over the next year. Strong EC's.

Applying to SMP's for fall 2014. Is it worth it a 3rd time? I fell right at my average and I feel like I should just focus on 4.0'ing to beat screens. I have access to my TPR course until February, but I've used all of their practice tests, 4 Golden Standard test, and all the AAMC's. I even used all of the AAMC self-assessments and TPR problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
1st time taking MCAT

Score was 26 (PS 10 VR 7 BS 9)

I'm not planning on applying to medschool this year, only until I graduate.

I am currently an undergraduate junior majoring in Chemical Engineering. I just want to avoid taking the 2015 MCAT. I was thinking of retaking the MCAT this winter break in Jan and studying throughout this semester and December, but I'm not sure if I have the time given the major time demanded for my own major. And even if I do have time, I'm not sure how to approach it.

I know I can do better, I feel I was close getting 30. But if I were to retake, how should I study this semester?

I took the MCAT Aug 22. Started studying the week of June 4th. First I reviewed Bio and Orgo, then gen Chem and Phys. I did passages, but didn't time myself to strengthen my content knowledge.

July was pretty much all practice exams, with some days spent reviewing content. I used AAMC tests 3-11, and Kaplan tests 6-11. My scores ranged from 23-32. I kept doing this until the day of the exam.

Seeing how verbal is my lowest score, I guess I should try to improve that first, but what about the rest?

Thanks

Last edited:
MCAT Score: 12/7/11 (30 total) - I never scored so low on a Verbal before :/
cGPA: 3.3
sGPA: 3.2
I went to a very very selective and competitive college with basically no grade inflation (I majored in Biochem) - hoping that helps my case?
Excellect ECs (was extremely involved/committed all 4 years of college), great LORs

Any opinions? I want to go to an MD medical school (I'll just be happy if I got in a med school).

Just got my MCAT score back & was wondering whether I should re-take it again for the 3rd time...

1st time: V 6, PS 11, BS 10 (Total: 27)
2nd time: V 7, PS 9, BS 11 (Total: 27)

I have no idea why my PS score dropped because I actually felt good about that section and it's typically my strongest section.

I am planning to only apply to MD schools.

cGPA: 3.7
sGPA: 3.5
Strong extracurricular, research, & clinical experiences.
Attended a competitive university.

I'd appreciate it if I could get some advice from you guys! Thanks.

Just got my MCAT score back & was wondering whether I should re-take it again for the 3rd time...

I have no idea why my PS score dropped because I actually felt good about that section and it's typically my strongest section.

I am planning to only apply to MD schools.

IMO you must retake. Seems like VR is your weakest section. Most admissions committees at MD schools will automatically reject your application if your VR (or any other section matter if fact) score is less than 8 or 9. I took MCAT multiple times simply bcz my VS score wasn't good enough. I was scoring more than 10 on PS and BS, and scored 15 on BS. You may not like this but as you must have realize that VR is the hardest to improve on. I started off with consistent scores of 6-7 on VR. But I ended up getting 9 on my last MCAT. I hope this answered your question. PM me know if you want more tips in how I improved my verbal score.

IMO you must retake. Seems like VR is your weakest section. Most admissions committees at MD schools will automatically reject your application if your VR (or any other section matter if fact) score is less than 8 or 9. I took MCAT multiple times simply bcz my VS score wasn't good enough. I was scoring more than 10 on PS and BS, and scored 15 on BS. You may not like this but as you must have realize that VR is the hardest to improve on. I started off with consistent scores of 6-7 on VR. But I ended up getting 9 on my last MCAT. I hope this answered your question. PM me know if you want more tips in how I improved my verbal score.

Citation needed.

Because if you think "most MD schools" are going to automatically reject a 14/8/14 regardless of the full package, then you need a reality check. :lol: I know a few with those splits at top 10s.

Citation needed.

Because if you think "most MD schools" are going to automatically reject a 14/8/14 regardless of the full package, then you need a reality check. :lol: I know a few with those splits at top 10s.

I think you didn't really read my post. You have a good chance of getting in with a verbal of 8. The person whos post replied to had a verbal of 7. I'm a pharmacist and have outstanding clinical ECs and professional experience at memorial Sloan Kettering center. I applied 2 times with a verbal of 7 but I didn't even get an II from any of the schools I applied to. If you have enough time to prepare for verbal and really don't want to waste your year, then it's much safer to retake. I retook MCAT This July and got a 9 on VR, and I already interviewed at couple schools one if them being my top choice. 14/8/14 with a loads of ECs surely will get you somewhere but with a verbal score of 6 or 7, it's more than unlikely. Believe it or not.

August 28th MCAT

11/10/8. Got an 8 on BS and I am planning to apply to SMP's in the upcoming year and I don't think a 29 especially with an 8 in BS looks good. I spent this summer at a TBR course and PS greatly improved however the BS improved marginally. The 8 is definitely below the average on my AAMC's. Retake?

Edit for stats?

3.3 cum. and sci GPA. I'll go into EC's if wanted.

I think you didn't really read my post.

No, I read it. You're changing what you're saying. See below.

You have a good chance of getting in with a verbal of 8. The person whos post replied to had a verbal of 7. 14/8/14 with a loads of ECs surely will get you somewhere but with a verbal score of 6 or 7, it's more than unlikely. Believe it or not.

Now let me remind you of what you wrote:

Most admissions committees at MD schools will automatically reject your application if your VR (or any other section matter if fact) score is less than 8 or 9.

Do you see the triple emphasized portion? You said a VR less than 8 or 9 is an auto-reject. You are now qualifying this by saying that a VR of 8 has a "good chance of getting in."

These are two vastly different viewpoints. Do you get it now?

No, I read it. You're changing what you're saying. See below.

Now let me remind you of what you wrote:

Do you see the triple emphasized portion? You said a VR less than 8 or 9 is an auto-reject. You are now qualifying this by saying that a VR of 8 has a "good chance of getting in."

These are two vastly different viewpoints. Do you get it now?

I'm not changing what I said. I'm not here to troll other people or criticize them without being helpful. I specifically replied to the original post. It was you who brought in "14/8/14" in the conversation. What I said in my second post was a response to your "constructive" comment. Get a grip dude. We are here to help people by giving them our opinions drawn from our experiences. By looking at the way you are handling this, I really don't know what your qualifications are and honestly I'm not even interested in finding out either. If you are a premed or medical student, then you should be able to understand the point I am making here. Also, if you really wanna know your chances of getting accepted to a particular school, then you might be better off contacting the dean of admissions committee at the school. Once again, this is coming purely from my personal experience. If you really wanna be helpful then say something constructive instead of trying to twist and micro-analyze other posts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not changing what I said. I'm not here to troll other people or criticize them without being helpful. I specifically replied to the original post. It was you who brought in "14/8/14" in the conversation. What I said in my second post was a response to your "constructive" comment. Get a grip dude. We are here to help people by giving them our opinions drawn from our experiences. By looking at the way you are handling this, I really don't know what your qualifications are and honestly I'm not even interested in finding out either. If you are a premed or medical student, then you should be able to understand the point I am making here. Also, if you really wanna know your chances of getting accepted to a particular school, then you might be better off contacting the dean of admissions committee at the school. Once again, this is coming purely from my personal experience. If you really wanna be helpful then say something constructive instead of trying to twist and micro-analyze other posts.

See, the funny thing is that I agree with you. That doesn't mean you didn't write initially that a VR of 8 (which would qualify under VR "below 8 or 9) means an auto-reject. Because that's not how it works. Very few things result in supposed "auto-rejects."

My contribution to this conversation is the 14/8/14 point. It is to show OP that he is not that far away from where he can be to be in a better position for admissions.

See, the funny thing is that I agree with you. That doesn't mean you didn't write initially that a VR of 8 (which would qualify under VR "below 8 or 9) means an auto-reject. Because that's not how it works. Very few things result in supposed "auto-rejects."

My contribution to this conversation is the 14/8/14 point. It is to show OP that he is not that far away from where he can be to be in a better position for admissions.

As a thought exercise...

Auto-reject criteria (where at least one US MD school would auto-reject a candidate on the sole basis of one of the criteria):

GPA below ?
MCAT below 20?
Violent crime felonies
Severe academic dishonesty record late in college and recent in relation to application
Serious drug offenses?
Attending an interview visibly intoxicated or high

Other thoughts?

As a thought exercise...

Auto-reject criteria (where at least one US MD school would auto-reject a candidate on the sole basis of one of the criteria):

GPA below ?
MCAT below 20?
Violent crime felonies
Severe academic dishonesty record late in college and recent in relation to application
Serious drug offenses?
Attending an interview visibly intoxicated or high

Other thoughts?

GPA below 2.5 (my guess)
Absolute lack of ECs (blanked EC app section)
Severe dwarfism or gigantism :naughty:

hey all,
Got my score yesterday and I am disappointed and very conflicted on whether to retake.

Score: 32 (12 / 10 / 10)
Took a diagnostic at the beginning of the summer and got a 26. After studying June / July, I took three full length practice tests in August which scored 34, 36, 38. So solid upward trend. The worst thing is that I felt confident leaving the test room and was feeling a score in the 37 - 39 range. Don't really know how to reconcile a 32 with that feeling I had leaving the center.

But anyway, my other application components are pretty tight.
GPA: 3.88
sGPA: 3.92
Clinical / Research: Spent two years as care coordinator at pediatric asthmatic program within inner-city setting. Benchwork at research lab for two summers. Year long independent research at school.
Leadership: exec position at fraternity, exec board on hall council (as freshman)
Teaching: Chem TA for 2 years, Math TA for 1, Individual tutoring over the past few summers, tennis camp instructor for summer
Shadowing: 20+ hours so far, planning on another 50 this year with various specializations
extras: volunteer at local school, food pantry volunteer work at home, member of organ donation group, club hockey
LORs will be A-okay

My list:
BU, Harvard, Tufts, UMass, Brown, Temple, Jefferson, UPitt, UPenn, GW, Georgetown, Howard JHU, Stanford

Before yesterday I was feeling like I had a shot at the top tier (Harvard, JHU, Stanford, UPenn). Today not so much. I am utterly confused on whether retaking is worth it.

Hey everyone! I know this thread is really old and the competitiveness to get in has changed but I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not I should re-take the MCAT and how to improve after already taking a test-prep course:

Total - 30
VR-9, BS-10, PS-11
My science GPA is 3.5

What do you guys think? My first thought was that I would definitely re-take it, but I'm concerned with being able to prepare well enough during the academic semester. I think could get into a low tier MD or DO b/c my EC's are pretty good but it seems risky. Any feedback is appreciated thanks so much!!

hey all,
Got my score yesterday and I am disappointed and very conflicted on whether to retake.

Score: 32 (12 / 10 / 10)
Took a diagnostic at the beginning of the summer and got a 26. After studying June / July, I took three full length practice tests in August which scored 34, 36, 38. So solid upward trend. The worst thing is that I felt confident leaving the test room and was feeling a score in the 37 - 39 range. Don't really know how to reconcile a 32 with that feeling I had leaving the center.

But anyway, my other application components are pretty tight.
GPA: 3.88
sGPA: 3.92
Clinical / Research: Spent two years as care coordinator at pediatric asthmatic program within inner-city setting. Benchwork at research lab for two summers. Year long independent research at school.
Leadership: exec position at fraternity, exec board on hall council (as freshman)
Teaching: Chem TA for 2 years, Math TA for 1, Individual tutoring over the past few summers, tennis camp instructor for summer
Shadowing: 20+ hours so far, planning on another 50 this year with various specializations
extras: volunteer at local school, food pantry volunteer work at home, member of organ donation group, club hockey
LORs will be A-okay

My list:
BU, Harvard, Tufts, UMass, Brown, Temple, Jefferson, UPitt, UPenn, GW, Georgetown, Howard JHU, Stanford

Before yesterday I was feeling like I had a shot at the top tier (Harvard, JHU, Stanford, UPenn). Today not so much. I am utterly confused on whether retaking is worth it.

Hi! I think all your stats are amazing and you will definitely be able to get into some great schools. I don't know if this helps put things into perspective, but my old room-mate's father is on the admissions board at Stanford Medical, and he said they usually don't even look at applications below a 33 MCAT. I guess it depends on where you want to go.

My list:

Your MCAT is way below average at those schools. Your ECs are adequate, but nothing that "pops out" of the page which you really need to have a decent chance at those schools given the aforementioned shortfall. The people we've seen on these forums getting into top tiers with those stats have a really exceptional EC or life experience to boost them.

Just a heads-up so you can be realistic. If you really want a good shot at top tiers, retaking for a 34+ would help. My cousin had similar stats and ECs as you (3.8 GPA, 31 MCAT), and did not get a single II from any top 20 schools two cycles ago.

Your post-test feeling doesn't mean jack s***. From your post count, I'm gonna assume that you don't read as much as we do on these forums; "feeling a 38" means as much as "feeling a 25" does (i.e., it means nothing). Since you only have 3 FL records, it's a bit hard to judge whether a 32 was an anomaly or if you were prone to those types of oscillations (like me; range of 33-40 on FLs, 36 actual score). If you want to retake, go back to studying and take all the other AAMC FLs you haven't taken for an average that will give you more valuable information about your potential. If it's around 34 and above, go for it. You want to improve at least to 34-35 to get out of the ±2 range coming from natural testing variation.

Last edited:
Hello,

Background first. I am entering my third year at a UC as a Neuroscience major, so I am just starting my upper division classes. This quarter, I am taking Neuroanatomy, a Neuroscience core class, and a GE (14 units).

My GPA is sitting at 3.38 right now, science GPA at a 3.2 (rough beginning to Sophomore year; O-chem obliterated me). I have plenty of time to raise it, but is definitely my focus for these next 2 years. I'll be happy with anything over 3.5.

I am involved in a Pre-Med frat as well as a health-related committee on campus. I did research in a neuroimaging lab all of last year as well. I have a tutoring job as an AP chem tutor lined up as well.

I finished all the prerequisites (gen chem, o-chem, genetics, life sciences, physics, etc). The only class I haven't taken and won't be taking until next quarter is Biochemistry.

Have not decided if I want to take a gap year or if I want to go straight in, but I am not opposed to DO schools at all.

I spent this past summer studying for the MCAT, and I was enrolled in the Princeton Review Hyperlearning Course. I took many full length practice tests. Here are my scores:

PS VR BS ( )

06/30/13 - AAMC 10 11 10 8 (29)
07/15/13 - TPR 1 9 9 10 (28)
07/28/13 - TPR 2 9 6 10 (25)
08/04/13 - TPR 3 8 9 10 (27)
08/08/13 - AAMC 11 11 10 11 (32)
08/18/13 - AAMC 3 12 12 10 (34)
08/22/13 - AAMC 5 12 12 12 (36)
08/23/13 - AAMC 7 10 13 11 (34)
08/24/13 - AAMC 8 13 11 11 (35)
08/26/13 - AAMC 9 11 11 11 (33)
------------------------------------------------------------------
August 28 MCAT - 9 9 8 (26)

Not too sure what happened here, maybe I burned out, maybe I had test anxiety. Either way, it is what it is, but I am ready to move forward. I definitely have the time to retake and I want to retake because I think I am more than capable of scoring my target of 33+.

My only questions are when should I retake and what should be my strategy going in this second time?

I have access to my Princeton Review Online Course material until March 11, 2014. I think I also technically qualify to retake the Princeton Course for free under their guarantee, but I don't think that would be the best utilization of my time.

Ideally, I would like to retake in January, but I don't know how feasible it is to study MCAT material during the quarter. I can definitely make the time by not taking my tutoring job and quitting my research position (has been primarily data input/minimal learning benefit anyways). However, I don't know if I would be spreading myself too thin by only focusing on academics and the MCAT.

I guess I do have an upperhand given that the material should be relatively fresh since I immersed myself in it all summer...but I am not sure.

Thoughts/advice?

Hey everyone! I know this thread is really old and the competitiveness to get in has changed but I wanted to get some opinions on whether or not I should re-take the MCAT and how to improve after already taking a test-prep course:

Total - 30
VR-9, BS-10, PS-11
My science GPA is 3.5

What do you guys think? My first thought was that I would definitely re-take it, but I'm concerned with being able to prepare well enough during the academic semester. I think could get into a low tier MD or DO b/c my EC's are pretty good but it seems risky. Any feedback is appreciated thanks so much!!

What were your AAMC scores like (distribution, average)? That's really where the valuable information comes in to determining whether a retake would be recommended, forbidden, or unclear.

Hello,

[insert long ass post lol]

Thoughts/advice?

I wouldn't start studying again until around November if you're planning for January. Something went really wrong, and you need to figure out what it is or else it'll crop up again for your next exam and have you drop -7 from your AMC average (i.e., no bueno para tú).

Figure that out, put the MCAT out of your mind for two months, and then get back swinging with new FLs; try TBR and Kaplan exams (PM me about Kaplan if interested). You obviously have the potential, so you just have to make some time to get back into studying the way you did before. Quitting something for half a semester is not the end of that activity. Your MCAT will hold you back way more than giving up an EC for a semester.

Hiya,

I've never posted in any of these forums (always been an observer lol) but after getting my score back I'm feeling kind of stuck.

Composite: 31 (11 VR/10 BS/10 PS)

I was scoring 33-36 on AAMC. This score really took me by surprise. After walking out of there I seriously thought I got obliterated by VR. My best section has always been PS (usually scoring 13 - cumulative average is 12+) and BS (usually 12). Verbal has always been tough for me and I spent the entire summer trying to break a 10.

I'm already planning on taking a year off. So I will apply next cycle (will fill start at the end of next semester). My cGPA and sGPA will be right at a 3.6. I'm torn. I'm leaning towards a retake, because I know that I can improve my BS and PS. VR was a pleasant surprise (still trying to figure it out since I was sure I got murdered). I'm not looking to get into a top tier by any means, but I'm definitely disappointed with a 31. And if, in fact, it is better to retake, how in the hell does anyone study again? I took a Prep Course, and that helped - still have all the books/resources. But I've already taken all the AAMC practice test, so not sure really how to move forward.

Anyway this is all fresh and I'm still trying to process. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hi! I think all your stats are amazing and you will definitely be able to get into some great schools. I don't know if this helps put things into perspective, but my old room-mate's father is on the admissions board at Stanford Medical, and he said they usually don't even look at applications below a 33 MCAT. I guess it depends on where you want to go.

Thanks! That's great to know about Stanford, and it confirms my thoughts about how many of the top tiers operate. Unfortunate for me, but it makes sense because of the volume of apps that they are receiving each year.

Your MCAT is way below average at those schools. Your ECs are adequate, but nothing that "pops out" of the page which you really need to have a decent chance at those schools given the aforementioned shortfall. The people we've seen on these forums getting into top tiers with those stats have a really exceptional EC or life experience to boost them.

Just a heads-up so you can be realistic. If you really want a good shot at top tiers, retaking for a 34+ would help. My cousin had similar stats and ECs as you (3.8 GPA, 31 MCAT), and did not get a single II from any top 20 schools two cycles ago.

Your post-test feeling doesn't mean jack s***. From your post count, I'm gonna assume that you don't read as much as we do on these forums; "feeling a 38" means as much as "feeling a 25" does (i.e., it means nothing). Since you only have 3 FL records, it's a bit hard to judge whether a 32 was an anomaly or if you were prone to those types of oscillations (like me; range of 33-40 on FLs, 36 actual score). If you want to retake, go back to studying and take all the other AAMC FLs you haven't taken for an average that will give you more valuable information about your potential. If it's around 34 and above, go for it. You want to improve at least to 34-35 to get out of the ±2 range coming from natural testing variation.

Very helpful man. I am leaning towards re-taking given my list of schools. But I have two questions regarding how I would even approach a re-take.

1) To study I did EK passages (BIO, VR) and purchased all the AAMC practice tests. Did three under test conditions but worked through the rest of the problems throughout the summer. So, where I start my new studies?

I haven't heard great things about Kaplan courses. Also, I am afraid to shell out a ton more money for a few points. Weakness seems to be bio. VR is volatile, I had improvements but even towards the end of my studying was in the 9 - 14 range.

2) How will schools view my new score? If I do better is it averaged or would they forget the 32. Also, if I do the same as before would it jeopardize my chances at a place like Tufts or Georgetown where I seem to fit well as of now.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

Very helpful man. I am leaning towards re-taking given my list of schools. But I have two questions regarding how I would even approach a re-take.

1) To study I did EK passages (BIO, VR) and purchased all the AAMC practice tests. Did three under test conditions but worked through the rest of the problems throughout the summer. So, where I start my new studies?

I haven't heard great things about Kaplan courses. Also, I am afraid to shell out a ton more money for a few points. Weakness seems to be bio. VR is volatile, I had improvements but even towards the end of my studying was in the 9 - 14 range.

2) How will schools view my new score? If I do better is it averaged or would they forget the 32. Also, if I do the same as before would it jeopardize my chances at a place like Tufts or Georgetown where I seem to fit well as of now.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings.

1. Sucks that you "wasted" the other AAMCs. Wasn't a smart call. This is when Kaplan is worth it; check your PM. Their bio practice helped me move into the 12-13 range (albeit from 11...but that's a hard jump for most).

Get TPRH books (Science & Verbal Workbooks, ICC). This will be your new artillery.

2. This depends on the school. Getting the same score is never a good thing. That's all we really know; anything more is misguided opinion.

I'm already planning on taking a year off. So I will apply next cycle (will fill start at the end of next semester). My cGPA and sGPA will be right at a 3.6. I'm torn. I'm leaning towards a retake, because I know that I can improve my BS and PS. VR was a pleasant surprise (still trying to figure it out since I was sure I got murdered). I'm not looking to get into a top tier by any means, but I'm definitely disappointed with a 31. And if, in fact, it is better to retake, how in the hell does anyone study again? I took a Prep Course, and that helped - still have all the books/resources. But I've already taken all the AAMC practice test, so not sure really how to move forward.

Anyway this is all fresh and I'm still trying to process. Any advice would be much appreciated.

A retake would make sense. Read through the rest of this thread (YES ALL 67 PAGES) for solid advice on methods of restudying. You'll get more out of that than having someone try to sum it all up for you and cluttering these forums.

I am planning to only apply to MD schools, but would be happy with getting into anywhere in the states.

Thanks JSGANDHI for replying. Does anyone else have an opinion on this?

1. Sucks that you "wasted" the other AAMCs. Wasn't a smart call. This is when Kaplan is worth it; check your PM. Their bio practice helped me move into the 12-13 range (albeit from 11...but that's a hard jump for most).

Get TPRH books (Science & Verbal Workbooks, ICC). This will be your new artillery.

2. This depends on the school. Getting the same score is never a good thing. That's all we really know; anything more is misguided opinion.

Which Kaplan materials are you referring to?

That's not a promising GPA/MCAT combo for MD schools. It's borderline at best. You want/need something higher.

The good news is that content weakness isn't the worst MCAT problem you can have. Look in the 30+ thread for strategies on how to get content down solid. Chad's videos are a good start. I wouldn't worry about getting more practice passages in until you can answer FSQs about the material with enough confidence to even begin thinking about trying to apply that knowledge.

Retaker, got my test score today.

8/22/2013: 10/11/11
8/10/2012: 7/8/9

cGPA: 3.13
sGPA: 2.76

Went to an Ivy, URM.

Currently enrolled in a post-bacc program, taking 23-27 credits of science at a private university over the next year. Strong EC's.

Applying to SMP's for fall 2014. Is it worth it a 3rd time? I fell right at my average and I feel like I should just focus on 4.0'ing to beat screens. I have access to my TPR course until February, but I've used all of their practice tests, 4 Golden Standard test, and all the AAMC's. I even used all of the AAMC self-assessments and TPR problems.

So I guess I shouldn't retake, then?:poke:

Probably not. Dat GPA wouldn't save you much even with a 35 MCAT.
I feel you on that. As long as I get my breakdown to a 3.3/3.1/32, I have a vague shot at MD after my SMP- wouldn't you agree? I may be able to improve if I retake during the summer right before I leave for the SMP, but it seems like I would need to jump to like a 38 for the difference not to be trivial. The GPA is the killer and should be my focus...

Non-traditional student checking in after getting my MCAT results today. I graduated with a degree in Mass Media Communications in 2005 with a 3.3 GPA and worked in television before I realized I hated it. I got a job in the ER over 3 years ago and was inspired to try to go to med school, mostly by the docs I work with. Went back in Spring 2012 to the University of South Florida, finished my last prereq (Orgo 2 this summer) and 2 weeks later took the MCAT. I'll admit, I didn't dedicate enough time to study fully for the MCAT with the blitz of full time work and full time school.

PS 10 VR 10 BS 8 for a 28 total. Not thrilled with my Bio score but it was my weakest subject. My overall GPA is now at a 3.5 and my science GPA is a 3.75. I live in Florida and plan on applying in-state only (I know our schools aren't the greatest).

I haven't done a ton of shadowing, but the docs in the ER always let me ask them questions and they tell me about any interesting cases they get so I can learn (emergency med is my main interest), and a few of the docs have offered to write letters of recommendation, including the medical director.

Would it be worth it to re-take the MCAT to try to get into a school in Florida, or would the 28 and my GPA and ER exposure be enough to get at least an interview? Thank you in advance.

-Shane

Guessing I should re-take and shoot for a 30+ ?

I feel you on that. As long as I get my breakdown to a 3.3/3.1/32, I have a vague shot at MD after my SMP- wouldn't you agree? I may be able to improve if I retake during the summer right before I leave for the SMP, but it seems like I would need to jump to like a 38 for the difference not to be trivial. The GPA is the killer and should be my focus...

Yeah, diminishing returns unless you are confident for a jump past 36, which would show lots of resilience after starting from a 24. I would just kill the SMP. Hopefully, you'll get into a "good" one with good application committees and placement results.

Guessing I should re-take and shoot for a 30+ ?

I'm not an expert on the schools in Florida but I would say your GPA seems to be borderline okay (at least the 3.5 the 3.75 is good). The MCAT is definitely low for MD schools... how were you doing on the practice tests? If you feel confident that you can bring your score up a few points say to a 31, you would have much better chances at an MD in-state school. Good luck!

Just got my scores back...

32- 8 ps/14 v/10 bs. The slightly embarrassing part is that I'm a physics major...leaning towards not retaking. Is 8 still above the subsection cut-off for most schools? And would this be good enough for the U of Illinois?

Just got my scores back...

32- 8 ps/14 v/10 bs. The slightly embarrassing part is that I'm a physics major...leaning towards not retaking. Is 8 still above the subsection cut-off for most schools? And would this be good enough for the U of Illinois?
I'm in a similar place. I got a 14, 9, 10 (PS, VR, BS) and I'm a bio major. My goal was a 33 but I'd be more happy if the scores were more even. Any advice on whether or not I should retake? I am planning on applying to some top tier schools and have a 3.9 GPA.
Edit: And I don't care much about my poor verbal score. That'll never go up. More concerned about bio.
Edit 2: I forgot to answer your question. I know somebody who got an 8 on verbal and a 32 overall and nobody who interviewed her mentioned it. Idk if it affected her getting interviews in the first place though.

Last edited:
I got a 32 (12/10/10) and am a bit disappointed since I was averaging 12-13s on Biology. Rest were in line.

My BCPM GPA is like a 3.91 but I was wondering if I should re-take because I don't even know what schools I would be competitive for (how do I check this?)... I'm currently a Junior so I'll be applying 2014 Cycle.

I'm just really worried because my Biology score seems kind of low and I heard that I should only retake if I think I can get a 3 point improvement. Is it actually that frowned upon to retake and not improve as much (and why?).

Sorry for all the questions but I would really appreciate a response.

Thanks!

So i just took my first MCAT the Sept 7th 2013:

P: 14
V: 7
B: 13

I have a 3.55 and good ECs.
I'm worried the VERBAL score may screen me out of a lot of schools :/

I am in the same boat as you, but mine is just above the cut line. I have seen on SDN that med school screens out less than or equal to 7 VR

I am in the same boat as you, but mine is just above the cut line. I have seen on SDN that med school screens out less than or equal to 7 VR

Speculation about what the screen "threshold" is nothing but pure conjecture except when told by an adcom member, so that basically means LizzyM or Goro on these forums.

What we can say, is that a VR of X results in low acceptance rates. Whether this is due to screening or other factors cannot be known with a high degree of confidence.

I got a 32 (12/10/10) and am a bit disappointed since I was averaging 12-13s on Biology. Rest were in line.

My BCPM GPA is like a 3.91 but I was wondering if I should re-take because I don't even know what schools I would be competitive for (how do I check this?)... I'm currently a Junior so I'll be applying 2014 Cycle.

I'm just really worried because my Biology score seems kind of low and I heard that I should only retake if I think I can get a 3 point improvement. Is it actually that frowned upon to retake and not improve as much (and why?).

Sorry for all the questions but I would really appreciate a response.

Thanks!

Consensus seems to be not to retake if you get a score above 30-31. What were your practice test scores? 32 with your gpa is competitive for most schools, just probably not for top ones. Buy the MSAR to check for average gpa and mcat scores of MD schools.

From being around sdn, it seems that it is frowned upon to retake scores above 30 without a big improvement...that's because the difference with 1 or 2 points would not make a big difference in your overall application and you can use all that studying time for something more meaningful. There's also the judgement aspect for applicants.. I would take a look at the "what are my chances" thread for some comments there.

I'm in a similar place. I got a 14, 9, 10 (PS, VR, BS) and I'm a bio major. My goal was a 33 but I'd be more happy if the scores were more even. Any advice on whether or not I should retake? I am planning on applying to some top tier schools and have a 3.9 GPA.
Edit: And I don't care much about my poor verbal score. That'll never go up. More concerned about bio.
Edit 2: I forgot to answer your question. I know somebody who got an 8 on verbal and a 32 overall and nobody who interviewed her mentioned it. Idk if it affected her getting interviews in the first place though.

I wouldn't retake. What were your scores on the practice tests? 33 is on the lower end for top tier schools but it's risky to retake especially with that 14 in PS!

I wouldn't retake. What were your scores on the practice tests? 33 is on the lower end for top tier schools but it's risky to retake especially with that 14 in PS!
I took 3 AAMC's and got 34, 34, and 37. I also took 3 Kaplan tests and got 32, 36, and 32. So average and mode of 34. But usually it was like 13, 9, 12 or something. Yeah i think you're right. I don't think its worth it because i could go down in physical sciences easily. I'm just really upset at my 10 in Bio as a bio major.

I took 3 AAMC's and got 34, 34, and 37. I also took 3 Kaplan tests and got 32, 36, and 32. So average and mode of 34. But usually it was like 13, 9, 12 or something. Yeah i think you're right. I don't think its worth it because i could go down in physical sciences easily. I'm just really upset at my 10 in Bio as a bio major.

I wouldn't retake.

Status
Not open for further replies.