*** Official University of New England C/O 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread ***

Just curious, are you guys planning on attending UNE this fall? or considering other schools

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to let you guys know I will be giving up my spot at UNE! HTH someone!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got a an email from UNE they are checking if i am still interested anyone else got the same email?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I got it as well.

Reactions: 1 user
I just got accepted!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 7 users
Me too!!! Just got my acceptance! We're gonna become dentists!!!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got my acceptance!!!! First one!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 5 users
:)Accepted. Excited for this opportunity, can't wait to meet you all!

Reactions: 2 users
For those of you accepted today, were you initially wait listed? Thanks and congratulations!

withdrew my acceptance today, good luck :)

Hi. I just received my interview invite for some time this month. I was curious is the class is full / are they forming a waitlist? etc?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I just received my interview invite for some time this month. I was curious is the class is full / are they forming a waitlist? etc?
Congrats :) Do you mind sharing your stats and if they called or emailed you? Thanks and good luck :)

I am pretty sure there are seats left. I would call Amanda and ask. She's really helpful!

I'm in the fb group right now, I think about 50 are in our class so far. I wonder how many that paid the deposit haven't joined the group yet.

Hey guys,
Just got an interview invite today. Sadly had to decline so I really hope my spot makes someone else happy! GOOD LUCK!!!

Did anyone else get their approval for financial aid yet? Just curious if everyone had the same estimated costs

Did anyone else get their approval for financial aid yet? Just curious if everyone had the same estimated costs

Haven't heard anything yet. I emailed Amanda a while ago and she said that we'll receive more information once the class is set later in the spring.
Not sure when exactly that will be though.

I'm sure that the maximum we'll be allowed to take out in loans will be similar to the estimated costs on the UNE website though. http://www.une.edu/sfs/graduate/costs/dental-medicine

Just got an interview invite today. Think it's worth it to go?

Just got an interview invite today. Think it's worth it to go?

I think it really depends on your situation. I would seriously consider interviewing, if you think UNE might be a comparable/better option for you.

I would compare the cost of the school, class size, teaching style, curriculum, patient pool, technology, environment, distance to family/close friends, etc.

Here's a quote from a student that answered some questions about UNE.

1. Name of Your Dental School
University of New England College of Dental Medicine

2. Your Year (if you're not comfortable answering that, have you taken Part I of the NBDE?)
D2

3. What is your examination schedule like? Block Schedule (midterms and finals week) or several every week?
Midterms spread out; finals over a 2-week period

4. What is the hardest class? Why?
Me: Microbiology & Immunology (combined course)
Others: Anatomy

5. What is the easiest class? Why?
Community Dentistry & Public Health series of courses.

6. Are class notes based primarily on textbooks? or based on lecture powerpoints made up by professors?
A mix, most course directors use the textbooks as the basis for presentations, and the test questions tend to come from the presentations. Some course directors use no single text, but a collection of resources/readings.

7. Are traditional (paper) textbooks used or are they electronic? If electronic, do you prefer traditional textbooks?
VitalSource eBooks

8. What is the grading system? Pass/Fail/Honors? Letter Grades? Percentages?
Currently: A/B/C/Fail, no ±, with Patient Care (Clinic) P/F

9. Are your classmates generally gunners and try to sabatoge each other? If not, is the culture one where everybody tries to help everybody out?
Highly collaborative and supportive.

10. Is there a notetaking service for lecture available?
No idea if there is anything official. Many people post their notes / study guides in the FB group.

11. Is class attendance mandatory?
Yes, in all classes.

12. In general, are teachers approachable for questions? Or are they for the most part very busy and unreachable (research, etc...)?
Yes. There are a couple part-time faculty who only are on campus 2 days/week, but they tend to be available. There have been some complaints about a couple faculty members either being difficult to talk with or unwilling to reconsider a test question, but overall the relationships seem quite positive.

13. What is the drop out rate?
So far, 0%

14. Are there any resources to help students who are struggling?
Yes. Learning center, tutors, coffee.

15. What is the % first time board pass rate? What is the average score (if available)?
TBD

16. When do you take the NDBE Part 1?
If in good academic standing, you are eligible to take the NBDE1 after completion of D2S2 (D2 fall) semester. It must be taken before the start of D3S2 (D3 fall).

17. Does the school offer classes/review sessions to prepare for Part 1?
Yes. during D2S3 (spring of D2)

18. Do you get a block of time off before boards to study? If so, how long? If not, do you have to study simultaneously with classes?
No.

19. Do most people study in the University Library? Or does the place clear out right after school and everybody studies on their own?
A clear plurality do choose to study in the library or one of the buildings on campus. The library is open 24 hours/day Sun-F, and closes at 9 or 10 on F/Sat. Most campus buildings are open until midnight for studying. After-hours simulation clinic is accessible 5-9 pm during the week, and 8-12 on Saturday mornings.

20. Are patients readily available to fulfill clinical requirements or do you have to do a lot of work to get them in?
Yes. There are no unit requirements; the clinical portion is competency-based.

21. Is it a hassle to get a chair once you get patients in? In your opinion, does your school have enough chairs?
Absolutely not. There are enough chairs.

22. What are the clinical requirements to graduate? (number of crowns, fillings, etc...) Is it reasonably attainable or pretty difficult?
There are no unit requirements. Everyone must be competent in each category to graduate, be it by performing 1 or 50 procedures to get there.

23. What types of opportunities do students have to explore different specialties?
There are no specialty programs at UNE at this time. While this does mean that oral surgery gets referred out at this time, it also means that residents do not cherry-pick cases from among our patients.

24. Is there sufficent preparation for practice management? What career placement opportunites does your school offer?
TBD. TBD.

25. What is the dress code at your school? Scrubs? For what years?
Didactic courses: business casual (no jeans)
Simulation (Pre-) Clinical & Clinical: business attire
No scrubs, except in the anatomy lab.

26. Is there much camaraderie between students in the same class? Do students generally associate with each other outside of school?
Yes & Yes. We've organized dodgeball leagues, inter-professional kickball, shot a music video, and had a number of raging parties.

27. What student organizations are most active?
ASDA, AGD, ADEA, Student Council. There are also a number of inter-professional organizations and recreational clubs (outdoor adventure, tennis, dodgeball, etc.)

28. What are your opinions on the location of the dental school? Is finding housing an issue? Is safety an issue?
Portland is a small city. It is the biggest city in the state, and consequently, it has SOME "big city" features like nightlife and culture. But NYC, it is not. Personally, I prefer this.

Finding housing can be a challenge, as the available rental pool is small and tends to rent very quickly. Portland has 96% rental occupancy year-round to qualify the supply in some way. Once housing is found, it does tend to be affordable, especially by east-coast standards. Students in my class are paying between $450 - $1900 per month for their housing. The high end of that range represents those who chose to pay that much, nut because it was the only thing available.

A few students have bought houses locally in the $200K range.

Safety: On campus, safety is absolutely not an issue outside of slipping on some ice in the dead of winter. Downtown / Old Port, typical safety precautions apply late at night.

29. What do you not like about your dental school?
This is a new school, so policy & procedure is still being ironed out, but rapidly. Some materials have moved in the clinic, from the dispensary to the supply cabinet, and so forth. Typical clinical headaches. Waiting for faculty checks while with patients takes too long, but I don't believe this is unique to UNE.

Personally, I prefer the no-scrubs policy in the classroom, but, I would prefer scrubs-only in the clinic.

It gets dark early in the winter in Maine. I cannot blame this on the school, but I still don't like a 3:45pm sunset.

Lastly, research opportunities are not yet developed.

30. Any last words or advice?
Class size is a factor in choosing a school. The class size at UNE is 64: large enough to be able to have friends with common interests, but small enough that you never get lost in the mix.

The mission of the school is more tailored to educating general dentists. If direct entry into a specialty program is a goal, the channels that facilitate this do not yet exist, nor does a large (dental) alumni network. This is something to consider if/when applying. Specializing is still possible if that is a goal, it just might take a bit more legwork.

I've seen nothing but positive experiences from those that speak about UNE so far. Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:
Phone call. Does anyone have the exact cost breakdown they give you? Or the total budget?

Thanks, you've been a great help!
I was actually just going through it and don't see UNE on there :(

I also unfortunately just threw away all of my papers from UNE last week. Hopefully someone here still has them though!

I was actually just going through it and don't see UNE on there :(

I also unfortunately just threw away all of my papers from UNE last week. Hopefully someone here still has them though!
Yeah I just checked, if anyone had it, that would be greatly appreciated

Hey guys just dropped my seat. Hope it goes to someone waiting and makes their day!

I had to decline my interview. With the Canada / US exchange rate it would cost me over 500K to attend.

I had to decline my interview. With the Canada / US exchange rate it would cost me over 500K to attend.

28CJZYw.png

Yeah, private school tuition is not something to take lightly.. even worse if you're international :(
Hope you find an option that works out for you!!

28CJZYw.png

Yeah, private school tuition is not something to take lightly.. even worse if you're international :(

I loved your pics :) Rooting for you to get off the WL.

I got accepted a few weeks ago! sorry forgot to tell ya! :D

Here's some more I took in Portland:

Oh my gosh congratulations!!! YOU DESERVE IT. I'm so proud of you.

And btw, I love these pictures. Is it just me, or does that 4th one (with the bricked street) look like something out of Italy?

Oh my gosh congratulations!!! YOU DESERVE IT. I'm so proud of you.

And btw, I love these pictures. Is it just me, or does that 4th one (with the bricked street) look like something out of Italy?

Thanks! It's such a relief now that I've found my career 3 years out of undergrad.

I really liked downtown Portland because of that. I'm so used to Chicago and the modern aesthetics so the cobblestone pavement and rustic buildings are a great change of scenery for me.
Also loved how the tourist nature of the city gives it a really joyful atmosphere. Everyone seemed so happy there that people seem emotionless back here in the suburbs.

28CJZYw.png

So it looks like everyone's cost of attendance will be like this. Do you know if this includes the $2000 deposit? And surprisingly, it would have cost me significantly more to attend another OOS school :dead:

28CJZYw.png

Thanks for posting this! There are added expenses in there too, and you can most definitely live in portland for less than what you're budgeted for. Obviously take the full amount for the first year, but I feel like you can get it down in the 80's for sure. I think this applies to a lot of places. You get budgeted for a lot, but there is always ways to save on that as well to make it more reasonable.

So it looks like everyone's cost of attendance will be like this. Do you know if this includes the $2000 deposit? And surprisingly, it would have cost me significantly more to attend another OOS school :dead:

Thanks for posting this! There are added expenses in there too, and you can most definitely live in portland for less than what you're budgeted for. Obviously take the full amount for the first year, but I feel like you can get it down in the 80's for sure. I think this applies to a lot of places. You get budgeted for a lot, but there is always ways to save on that as well to make it more reasonable.

The $2,000 deposit is applied to the total cost of attendance. So $96,527 is the maximum we can take out in loans.

Also, we have to take note that this is for the 1st academic year not 12 months. This is from 'end of August 2016' to 'middle of May 2017'. For the other 3 years, the estimated costs are from May to May.

The $11,250 Room and Board is for this period of time, so about $1250 per month.

Personally, I think the budget I was given for undergrad was just like this. I ended up taking out about half of what was budgeted for living expenses and had some left over.

All seats filled yet?

All seats filled yet?

Still haven't received the matriculation package yet. I'm assuming classes are still being filled, but it's probably best to contact the admissions staff to be sure.

Thanks, looks like all offers sent

Just e-mailed for answer

The $2,000 deposit is applied to the total cost of attendance. So $96,527 is the maximum we can take out in loans.

Also, we have to take note that this is for the 1st academic year not 12 months. This is from 'end of August 2016' to 'middle of May 2017'. For the other 3 years, the estimated costs are from May to May.

The $11,250 Room and Board is for this period of time, so about $1250 per month.

Personally, I think the budget I was given for undergrad was just like this. I ended up taking out about half of what was budgeted for living expenses and had some left over.

Question about the financial aid package-

Does UNE only give out loan offers? No grants, no scholarships at all?
Just took a look at my "award" today and only got 2 very large loans for fall and spring. It would be nice to get some financial aid that isn't a loan charged up with interest...

Question about the financial aid package-

Does UNE only give out loan offers? No grants, no scholarships at all?
Just took a look at my "award" today and only got 2 very large loans for fall and spring. It would be nice to get some financial aid that isn't a loan charged up with interest...

Yes that's correct. The government does not offer grants to students attending professional schools. Just unsubsidized and grad plus loans.
Some dental schools do offer scholarships to students, but it is minimal compared to tuition and not very common.

Accepted off the waitlist today. Now I really have no idea what to do haha