OK State c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS waitlist....gosh I was soooo hoping OK State would come through. I really just want to be a Cowgirl :) Trying to stay positive...anyone know stats on prior years? Hard to figure where we fall without a ranking.

Members don't see this ad.

Well after doing the math, Georgia will be cheaper for me so I will be declining my OOS seat. Good luck to everyone.

Yay everyone! So exciting. I agree with lupin that usually the OOS waitlist moves pretty well because a lot of people end up getting accepted to their in state or what not.
As far as choosing, I came here because it was my in state and cheap and I wasn't going to leave my husband, dogs, and horses. However a lot of people from out of state work here for a year then apply as in staters because of the good chance of getting and and cheapness of the school. Also, I completely agree on the not tracking, because you have no idea what might interest you after you start and you'll have a broader training with using electives to focus your interests. I know a ton of people who realized they really liked food animal after some of our hands on stuff in first year that started out small animal. We have tons of clubs with awesome wet labs, too. Sitting in a lecture for a limb amputation one next week. While we aren't problem based learning we do have quite a few case based labs for our core classes as well as electives. As much as vet sucks the life out of you most days this is a really great school to be at.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted OOS from VA!! I was not expecting this so this is exciting news!

Reactions: 4 users
OOS waitlisted, but I got into my in-state, so I'm ok with that. Go Pokes!

Reactions: 1 user
So many questions! Is there a facebook page for the c/o 2019? Whats your advice about housing options? Is there a certain laptop required by OSU to buy? Is there a dress code such as professional wear everyday? Im so excited!

So many questions! Is there a facebook page for the c/o 2019? Whats your advice about housing options? Is there a certain laptop required by OSU to buy? Is there a dress code such as professional wear everyday? Im so excited!
Anna will set up the Facebook page and add you. I will ask her when she expects to have it done and get back to you tomorrow hopefully. Housing options are pretty endless, so whatever floats your boat with that and plenty of options will be presented in the coming months. No certain laptop needed. I use my mac for everything, others have galaxy notes, iPads, regular pc's, surface pros etc. No dress code for class, hospital depends on your purpose and department shadowing. :)

Wailisted OOS...trying to weigh whether or not I should stay on the waitlist. Accepted at K State and LMU, and going to put my deposit down at K State to hold my spot. However, OK State is so much cheaper....and I've heard they have a good equine program? I'm from California so obviously going to look at the school on a tour is not feasible (especially for a waitlist position) but I want to know if the facilities are relatively new, what the hospital is like, etc. I'm interested in equine (specifically therio, though I'm open to that changing)....I wish they would publish stats like how many get pulled off the waitlist each year!

Wailisted OOS...trying to weigh whether or not I should stay on the waitlist. Accepted at K State and LMU, and going to put my deposit down at K State to hold my spot. However, OK State is so much cheaper....and I've heard they have a good equine program? I'm from California so obviously going to look at the school on a tour is not feasible (especially for a waitlist position) but I want to know if the facilities are relatively new, what the hospital is like, etc. I'm interested in equine (specifically therio, though I'm open to that changing)....I wish they would publish stats like how many get pulled off the waitlist each year!
@HorsesRLife would be a better person to talk about equine stuff.

As far as the wait list goes, it generally has a good amount of movement, especially OOS. Schools would not be doing themselves any favors by posting those stats in my mind because it changes from year to year and there would likely be backlash if one year it went 60 plus deep only to have it move 20 the next.

Your spot is assured at K-State until April 15th without you putting down an early deposit. I can't remember how soon WL people start getting calls, but just thought I would mention that you don't have to worry about losing your seat until that date. :)

Your spot is assured at K-State until April 15th without you putting down an early deposit. I can't remember how soon WL people start getting calls, but just thought I would mention that you don't have to worry about losing your seat until that date. :)

Yeah...I'm going to put down my deposit, because I am on WL at Iowa as well and both Iowa and OK are cheaper than KSU. I know Iowa doesn't start calling people until April 15th, and I am assuming OK does as well...although I am not sure.

Yeah...I'm going to put down my deposit, because I am on WL at Iowa as well and both Iowa and OK are cheaper than KSU. I know Iowa doesn't start calling people until April 15th, and I am assuming OK does as well...although I am not sure.
Yeah, I checked and it is after the 15th they call. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I still haven't heard anything from OK. Should I be concerned? :eek:

Equine options are actually pretty good, especially on the therio front. They are in the middle of construction of an equine performance center as well as updating foaling stalls in the hospital. We have an entire vet med ranch about 15 min from the school that has an equine/bovine breeding focus. There is now an internship and residency in therio with some really great clinicians. They have an equine therio elective second year where you learn to palpate/ultrasound which is really awesome. Also, third year they have some equine advanced techniques electives and an equine performance elective. They also have foal team, dystocia team, and mare watch. I work overnights a couple weekend nights a month in the large animal hospital doing treatments for horses and food animal (yay monies) which is really great to get to know the residents on the equine side which has lots of perks (for example our equine hospital is actually closed right now and I had a horse choke last week and since I knew the residents on call I was able to get one drive 20 min out to my house after hours since they new who I was.) If you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask!

Oh and the hospital isn't the fanciest, but we have all the same toys and faculty and guest lecturers talk about how we graduate some of the most competent vets (not sure how statistically relevant that is but we have a much lower rate of graduates wanting to go to an internship that have no desire for residency because most feel good enough about their knowledge/skills)

Oh and the hospital isn't the fanciest, but we have all the same toys and faculty and guest lecturers talk about how we graduate some of the most competent vets (not sure how statistically relevant that is but we have a much lower rate of graduates wanting to go to an internship that have no desire for residency because most feel good enough about their knowledge/skills)
Just ask @Lissarae06 and @cowgirla !! :D

You're the best for answering my annoying questions! It's hard cause there are no OOS interviews...good cause I don't have to pay money, but bad cause I don't get to meet the faculty, see the facilities, etc. We will see what happens, but I'm excited either way!

Is there any place that we should not consider living? I would rather not live in a place with a lot of undergrads :) I'd like to be close to other vet students if possible!

There will be a lot of housing options posted to the Facebook page. You'll have the option to rent a room in a house with vet students, but that doesn't guarantee you won't have undergrads living next door. I don't know the most popular apartment, but a lot live at 51. I live about 20 miles from campus so I'm probably not the best person to give recommendations.

Is there any place that we should not consider living? I would rather not live in a place with a lot of undergrads :) I'd like to be close to other vet students if possible!

Don't live in Forty North. They are trying to seem fancy and are now called Stonegate Estates or something... still a trashy place.

There's not a place in town that completely excludes undergrads - we just have too many of them. Avoiding some of the places right next to main campus may help.

If you really want proximity to vetties, there is a neighborhood right behind the vet school. You could rent a house there, +/- roommates.

Also, Anna said that all OOS alternates still have a great chance to get in and they pull pretty deep most years. If you are alternate IS, they wait to get spring grades and that greatly influences where you end up in line. So always strive to finish strong to boost your chances!!!

Reactions: 2 users
This thread is super helpful! :) I am OOS waitlisted but have accepted an offer at Kansas to hold my spot. Does anyone know if OSU has a good exotics program or exotics opportunities?

Everyone should have received an email by now, so it probably went to your junk mail. You should probably just call to get it sorted out. Hope you get good news!

I checked my junk mail and didn't find anything. I will call them today. Thanks for letting me know, I was just going to wait it out.

This thread is super helpful! :) I am OOS waitlisted but have accepted an offer at Kansas to hold my spot. Does anyone know if OSU has a good exotics program or exotics opportunities?
We have an active ZEW club that has interesting speakers, and there are opportunities to volunteer at the OKC Zoo and Tulsa Zoo. As far as a caseload, I don't think it extends much beyond some pocket pets, but a 4th year such as @twelvetigers could probably give you a better idear. Externships are definitely the way to go for obtaining those experiences. Not sure how we compare to KState.

You're the best for answering my annoying questions! It's hard cause there are no OOS interviews...good cause I don't have to pay money, but bad cause I don't get to meet the faculty, see the facilities, etc. We will see what happens, but I'm excited either way!
If you hunt for it on the veterinary medicine website, there is a virtual tour of the facilities, classrooms, and the main campus. Of course it's nice to visit in person before making the ultimate decision, but the virtual tour might help!

If you hunt for it on the veterinary medicine website, there is a virtual tour of the facilities, classrooms, and the main campus. Of course it's nice to visit in person before making the ultimate decision, but the virtual tour might help!

I clicked on it and it re-routed me to the main campus tour...maybe I should have clicked on it though. :p

Finally heard back from OK. Turns out I couldn't receive emails through the VMCAS portal. Anyway I am OOS wait listed.

I am going to give up my alternate position since I was accepted to my IS school. So good luck to all you deserving waitlisters ;)

I think my class might have been an odd-ball one with a ton of people doing internships/residencies (mostly in people who actually want to specialize, not just that they didn't feel ready). But I have heard the same about the statistics.

Starting a job has a learning curve after graduation, and I think that learning curve is there even after an internship in an academic/referral setting. The average clinic is a step down from the ivory tower of academia, because there's a much larger percentage of clients that are financially limited and think that its "just" a cat.

Personally, I felt ready for practice and have enjoyed every minute of it. About to start contract negotiation for year 2! I'm biased, of course, but I do think OK grads are pretty awesome. The job I accepted was one that was looking for someone with >2 years of experience, and my boss has commented more than once that I didn't need as much hand-holding and mentoring as he expected (and he's worked with a bunch of new grads from other schools in the past). I still ask a lot of questions, and I like his opinion on difficult cases, unexpected lab results, or weird xrays, but I also work alone in the building a few times a week, and take large animal emergencies after hours by myself, and really have yet to feel like a total idiot when it comes to figuring out what diagnostics I need next or what the top differentials are. My average client transaction is only about $10 less than both of the practice owners (who have owned for 10+ years) and is a little bit higher than the other long term associate's, and my production is right up there with theirs as well.

OK gives you a ton of hands-on opportunities, even in the basic curriculum, which really helps and there are awesome wetlabs on top of that. I felt like there was a really good mix of ivory-tower (fancy toys and gold standard everything) and the GP level (lots of spay/neuter, some dental although I would have liked more of that, lots of wellness work, the value of a physical exam, etc).

Also, Anna said that all OOS alternates still have a great chance to get in and they pull pretty deep most years. If you are alternate IS, they wait to get spring grades and that greatly influences where you end up in line. So always strive to finish strong to boost your chances!!!
I'm praying everyday to clear this waitlist, going to stay optimistic! Thanks Lupin21!

Congrats to all the new 2019ers! Wow I feel old. If anyone is looking for housing, I have a house for rent. It is 3 bedroom/1 bath with washer and dryer included, fenced in backyard, and pets are allowed with a pet fee. It's in a quiet neighborhood about a 7 minute drive to campus. $900/month plus utilities. PM me if interested or if you want pics

I have some questions for current students: what do you guys do for fun when not studying (what is in the area) ? What is your opinion of these apartment complexes: prime place on elm, link at the golf course, the enclave, and the reserve on Perkins? Are there other apartments that you would recommend with a studio/1 bedroom, washer/dryer in unit, pet friendly, close to the school (on the bus route)? How is parking at the school (fairly simple or a nightmare)? How much does out of state tuition increase each year?

I have some questions for current students: what do you guys do for fun when not studying (what is in the area) ? What is your opinion of these apartment complexes: prime place on elm, link at the golf course, the enclave, and the reserve on Perkins? Are there other apartments that you would recommend with a studio/1 bedroom, washer/dryer in unit, pet friendly, close to the school (on the bus route)? How is parking at the school (fairly simple or a nightmare)? How much does out of state tuition increase each year?

I lived at the Links quite a while ago and I liked it just fine.

You won't be riding the bus. You can pretend that you're gonna ride the bus, but it's just not gonna be convenient. For example, if you lived at the Links or the Reserve - you'd catch the gray line or something like that, ride it to the Multimodal Center or the Student Union, then you would get off and catch a black bus to go over to the VTH area. It would take nearly an hour I bet. OR, you could get in your car and drive to the VTH in oh, six minutes. The permit is something like $110 a year. It's cheap. There's pretty much always parking.

So. You won't ride the bus. It's more of a thing for undergrads to get around campus, and maybe useful to get to main campus...

Tuition goes up between $1k and $2k a year, at least in state. I think.

Are there any bad parts of Stillwater that you would say not live in, or even less good areas? I'll be renting a house most likely so just kind of general areas pls.

Are there any bad parts of Stillwater that you would say not live in, or even less good areas? I'll be renting a house most likely so just kind of general areas pls.

Like 99% of it is fine. The 1% should be apparent, because the house would look sketch. But it's not like we have a ghetto - everywhere is pretty safe. It would just be dumpy at worst.

The area right behind the vet school is a popular choice - lots of rentals and walking distance to school. There are some 2nd and 3rd years looking to have a new roommate and some 4th years leaving their rental properties too. Maybe seeking out some of the other class groups on Facebook would help? I'm not sure what would work best.

Fun... I think it all depends on what you're interested in, if you have a family, and how old you are. We have the usual movie theater, bowling, bars if you have time. My fun consists of sitting on the couch relaxing and watching TV, haha. But really, in my spare time I play with my horses, workout 5 days a week (we get free access to the really nice on campus gym or there is a tiny lake that has a 3 mile track around it in stillwater), do wet labs for clubs, externships, working, and maybe going out to dinner with my husband.

Fun... I think it all depends on what your interested in, of you have a family, and how old you are. We have the usual movie theater, bowling, bars if you have time. My fun consists of sitting on the couch relaxing and watching TV, haha. But really, in my spare time I play with my horses, workout 5 days a week (we get free access to the really nice on campus gym or there is a tiny lake that has a 3 mile track around it in stillwater), do wet labs for clubs, externships, working, and maybe going out to dinner with my husband.

You notice I skipped answering that... hah.

Boomer lake is good for walking the dogs or running/biking... the Botanical garden is lovely and free, best in the spring and summer of course. There's enough food to get by. I'm tired of it, but it's been uh... eleven years. So. Either city is an hour to an hour and a half away, and most things you could want can be found within that distance. Except, apparently, women's suit jackets that don't look like something you are borrowing from your older sisters 1990 collection.

Reactions: 3 users
Fun... I think it all depends on what you're interested in, if you have a family, and how old you are. We have the usual movie theater, bowling, bars if you have time. My fun consists of sitting on the couch relaxing and watching TV, haha. But really, in my spare time I play with my horses, workout 5 days a week (we get free access to the really nice on campus gym or there is a tiny lake that has a 3 mile track around it in stillwater), do wet labs for clubs, externships, working, and maybe going out to dinner with my husband.
Yep, Netflix + Beer + couch + my animules= Lupin's Happy Place

Agreed on living. Stillwater is is a pretty little college town in Oklahoma. No real ghettos, just make sure the house you rent is in working order and there is a good landlord that will get anything that does go wrong fixed. :)

Thanks for the help on areas in Stillwater! :) I'm excited about finding a place to live!

I have 2 more random questions: do you get many e-textbooks or do you rely more on physical textbooks? Also, people keep asking me about tornadoes in OK. Have you current students experienced any at or near OK State during your time in vet school?

I have 2 more random questions: do you get many e-textbooks or do you rely more on physical textbooks? Also, people keep asking me about tornadoes in OK. Have you current students experienced any at or near OK State during your time in vet school?

You get whatever sort of text book you wanna get. You'll need a hard copy of Miller's, probably. Other than that, you can get all the books, none of the books, or some of the books in whatever format you like best.

I have lived here for 29 years now and have seen one tornado in my life. There was one in Guthrie a couple years ago, and that's probably the closest in my time here. You just have a plan, have things ready (during April-June basically) and then try not to freak out.

And remember they test the sirens once a month. So if it's sunny (and like 11:30am exactly), it's only a test.

I use online versions of everything. You will need to borrow someones hard copy for anatomy or print out the pages needed since there are no computers in dissection labs. You won't be needing many of the texts, but you will get the down low on the Facebook page as people ask every year and upper years reply and usually offer up their old texts for hard copies.

And what TT said about tornadoes.

The vet school has a basement. Wifi, vending machines and plenty of places to hide from the weather. My dogs and I spent some oh so lovely hours there. I was usually the only one hiding. Crazy oklahomans stand outside and watch the clouds.

As for things to do, if you like bars you are good to go, right in Stilly. I left town for most other fun things. OKC has some nice areas, a brewery, dueling pianos and other nightlife stuff. Theres outlets, shopping centers, dunkin donuts (it was a priority!), etc. There are a couple small wineries throughout the area, although my favorite one no longer exists. If you want suggestions on places to hike/camp within 4 hours of the school, I can help with that.