OK State c/o 2019 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When do people typically get their housing situations figured out? I feel like im waiting for the packet from OSU in June but that seems so long to wait. Also any suggestions on how to find potential roomates? I want to be in an apartment with other DVM students.
I really wanted an apartment (by myself, with washer/dryer in unit, and pet friendly, and not out of my budget), so I did some exploring and touring while I visited last week. Most of the apartments I looked at are filling up or full as far as 1 bedrooms go, so I'm about to sign a lease at Prime Place. Their rates were very inclusive and simple and I liked my tour and interactions with staff there. They have a parking garage for the apartments and the doors to rooms are inside (so when my escape artist cat tries to get out she won't be outside if she succeeds = plus) So excited!! : D

Members don't see this ad.

So.. is anyone else going to the open house this weekend? :) and if so, what are you wearing? Lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
So.. is anyone else going to the open house this weekend? :) and if so, what are you wearing? Lol.

If I went - dunno if I will - they'd be lucky if I managed to wear jeans instead of sweats.

Don't dress up (unless you are giving tours). There isn't anyone to impress, just a lot of tired vet students and the general public.

Reactions: 1 user

Unless you were asking so you would recognize people, in which case... lol. I'm always up for coffee or chat with noobs if you guys want. I may still look tired from equine surgery. And, well, from 4th year in general. But if that doesn't bother y'all...

Unless you were asking so you would recognize people, in which case... lol. I'm always up for coffee or chat with noobs if you guys want. I may still look tired from equine surgery. And, well, from 4th year in general. But if that doesn't bother y'all...
My question was kinda aimed at what clothes are also appropriate for the weather lol. And shoes and stuff. It's still 40 degrees where I live, I can hardly remember what 70 feels like :p. And thanks for the coffee offer. I will definitely let you know if I have extra time! :)

My question was kinda aimed at what clothes are also appropriate for the weather lol. And shoes and stuff. It's still 40 degrees where I live, I can hardly remember what 70 feels like :p. And thanks for the coffee offer. I will definitely let you know if I have extra time! :)
Weather should be mid to upper 70's. Maybe some rain, you never know with spring weather hangin' out. Jeans, T and tennies are sufficient. :)

Weather should be mid to upper 70's. Maybe some rain, you never know with spring weather hangin' out. Jeans, T and tennies are sufficient. :)
Great thanks! :)

I'm on call for foal team :(, but I'll be running the aaep booth from 2 to 3 and sft/aabp from 3 to 4.

How soon did you guys receive instructions on setting up your O-key account? I have instructions for financial aid but I need the O-Key for that.

How soon did you guys receive instructions on setting up your O-key account? I have instructions for financial aid but I need the O-Key for that.
Hmm. not sure on this as I already had an Okey account from online genetics course prior to acceptance. I can ask tomorrow if no one comes on before then. :) Definitely nothing to stress about if you are. Plenty of time to get sorted out. I don't think I even accepted my loan amount until a month before classes were gonna start.

Oh yeah, and OOS alternates should start getting phone calls tomorrow. They will come in small waves if I understood correct. IS offers I think come after spring grades are in. Good Luck to anyone really wanting a spot! :luck::luck::luck:

Reactions: 1 users
Oh yeah, and OOS alternates should start getting phone calls tomorrow. They will come in small waves if I understood correct. IS offers I think come after spring grades are in. Good Luck to anyone really wanting a spot! :luck::luck::luck:
Will they leave a voicemail if we can't answer? Lol. Like if we are in class or something? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
No, if you don't answer, they assume you aren't interested and call the next person on the list.

Wouldn't that be terrible? I'm sure they leave voicemails.
Lmao well I wasn't assuming that! :p I just didn't want them to have to keep calling me and think I wasn't interested. Since I have certain classes that don't let us have our phones in the lab. Lol.

No, if you don't answer, they assume you aren't interested and call the next person on the list.

Wouldn't that be terrible? I'm sure they leave voicemails.

Lmao well I wasn't assuming that! :p I just didn't want them to have to keep calling me and think I wasn't interested. Since I have certain classes that don't let us have our phones in the lab. Lol.

I realize I commented saying I didn't want them to think I wasn't interested lol :p hopefully you know what I meant :p

Of course, you could just change your voicemail message. "Hi you've reached calmae and if this is a vet school, I ACCEPT" Then no worries about miscommunications :)

Reactions: 3 users
Well no call for me yet.... getting nervous.. :/ does anyone know if they started calling OOS alternates yet?

I was accepted! Yay! Thank you Lupin21 for answering my questions :) Committed to OKSU c/o 2019, deposit sent!!!

I will see all of you in Stillwater next year! I just got called off the list! :)

Is it too far from school to live in Coyle or Guthrie? Need a little bit of land, I have animals I'm bringing up there...

It wouldn't be completely out of the question for years 1-3, just an extra investment in time and gasoline. But for year 4 you must be within 20 minutes flat of the VTH for your on call shifts. So that could involve renting a room etc. assuming you have someone to take care of the animals at your place during that time.

There are places near or in Stillwater with land available for rent, especially horses. You just have to look.

It wouldn't be completely out of the question for years 1-3, just an extra investment in time and gasoline. But for year 4 you must be within 20 minutes flat of the VTH for your on call shifts. So that could involve renting a room etc. assuming you have someone to take care of the animals at your place during that time.

There are places near or in Stillwater with land available for rent, especially horses. You just have to look.
Ok, thanks! Good stuff to know

I live just east of Glencoe. It takes me between 25 and 30 minutes with traffic in the morning to get to school, but when I drive to Stillwater for a night shift I can usually make it in just over 20 minutes. I think you'd be OK on the northern side of coyle, but Guthrie would be a little bit of a drive. Perkins, Morrison, or Glencoe are all pretty close to school, too.

Congrats to all the people that have been getting calls! I'm starting to give up hope sadly.. :( I hate this waiting part.. it's exhausting. :(

I was called off the alternate list! It was a difficult decision, I really liked OSU, but after some extensive pro/ con listing, I decided to stick with the school I had commited to a few days earlier. @calmae, there is at least the spot I turned down still available! I hope you can snag one!

Congrats to all the people that have been getting calls! I'm starting to give up hope sadly.. :( I hate this waiting part.. it's exhausting. :(
There were people getting called off in late July, so don't be worried yet.

I just got called off as well (out of state) but I heard from Iowa yesterday so I'm going there!

Someone else has a chance because after all of this, one of my top schools just called me off of their waitlist. I'm sorry I will not be joining you guys but I'm sure you'll get someone great. :)

Howdy! :) I moved here from Texas last year to get residency for OK, and I'm on the IS waiting list. I know Anna said that calls for IS would wait until spring semester grades came in, but can anyone tell me around when that usually is? The wait is killing me! :nailbiting: My back-up is a graduate spot in Texas A&M Graduate School for some GPA improvement, so I'm prepared for a denial, but Anna told me that there was still hope and that only a handful of people were selected for the waiting list. I fully expected the "easy let down" when I called her on if I should prepare for a denial, but she was very encouraging on still having a chance. It would just be nice to have an estimation on when to expect a call IF one comes through?

Also, thank you guys for being so patient to answer questions!

Is anyone familiar with Avenue East? I know it used to be called the Grove and is currently under new management...it looks like it was recently renovated. Thoughts?

Howdy! :) I moved here from Texas last year to get residency for OK, and I'm on the IS waiting list. I know Anna said that calls for IS would wait until spring semester grades came in, but can anyone tell me around when that usually is? The wait is killing me! :nailbiting: My back-up is a graduate spot in Texas A&M Graduate School for some GPA improvement, so I'm prepared for a denial, but Anna told me that there was still hope and that only a handful of people were selected for the waiting list. I fully expected the "easy let down" when I called her on if I should prepare for a denial, but she was very encouraging on still having a chance. It would just be nice to have an estimation on when to expect a call IF one comes through?

Also, thank you guys for being so patient to answer questions!
Grades should be posted in about a week and a half, but it will probably take another week after that to get transcripts sent at least.

No problem and good luck. We've all experienced the waiting game in one way or another and it is exhausting!

Just got the call! I'm in! :) so so so happy right now! :)

Just got the call! I'm in! :) so so so happy right now! :)
Yay!! We've all been routing for you! We will be classmates, really excited for you!

Do any current students have recommendations for technology to take notes with in class? I have a nice laptop and was considering getting an iPad with the app that you can use to write on power points (don't know name of it though). What do you guys use and what works well? Any info helps! :)

My best friend had an iPad and loves it. I use a Samsung Galaxy 10.1 note and love it. We both have the occasional issues but overall either is a good choice. A lot of people type notes on their laptops, too, but I like handwritten.

I had a 2-in-1 laptop with OneNote. It worked well for me. OneNote lets you type/write/draw on powerpoints.

Do any current students have recommendations for technology to take notes with in class? I have a nice laptop and was considering getting an iPad with the app that you can use to write on power points (don't know name of it though). What do you guys use and what works well? Any info helps! :)
Just depends on what format you like for making notes. I've seen pretty much everything with no one exclaiming that something is horrible. I'm a macbook pro gal, myself, but have a samsung note 8 for when I am walking and don't feel like carrying anything. It works great.

Awesome! Thanks everyone for the input! :)

Has anyone received the information packet yet? I'm just curious. :)

Hi everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself. I am an IS C/O 2019 student. I can't wait to meet everyone in August!

Reactions: 4 users