Ok State Class of 2016 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@drwildlife: From your post/avatar/profile I take it that you're interested in specializing in wildlife/exotics? If so that's totally awesome! I've been interested in that specialty (along with therio) since working at the Tulsa Zoo in my senior year of high school. I worked with the elephants there mostly (and absolutely loved them), which is why I took said trip to Thailand in the first place!

Members don't see this ad.

@drwildlife: From your post/avatar/profile I take it that you're interested in specializing in wildlife/exotics? If so that's totally awesome! I've been interested in that specialty (along with therio) since working at the Tulsa Zoo in my senior year of high school. I worked with the elephants there mostly (and absolutely loved them), which is why I took said trip to Thailand in the first place!

Yes I am! And, I figured it that picture was at the Elephant Nature Park. I've looked into their program before. I also spent a year interning with elephants but, mostly have worked with penguins and tigers (big difference).

I hope to go into conversation medicine either on a research/field level or at a zoological institution. That's what my focus has been when it comes to getting experience. But, I also love rural/shelter medicine so my interests are pretty broad as well.

I never got the pleasure of working with penguins, though I always heard they were fun! I love birds of all types so I'm a bit sad I didn't experience it. I did get to work with tigers (along with other carnivores) several times and I always thought that was fun. Can you explain to me what exactly you'd do in conversational medicine? I tried to Google it with not much success.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never got the pleasure of working with penguins, though I always heard they were fun! I love birds of all types so I'm a bit sad I didn't experience it. I did get to work with tigers (along with other carnivores) several times and I always thought that was fun. Can you explain to me what exactly you'd do in conversational medicine? I tried to Google it with not much success.

hahah I just realized what I said. I meant conservation not conversation. Sorry, it was the last day of my finals and I was not all here. I'm sure you understand what that is now :D Just in case, it's an interdisciplinary field which ties together animal, human, and environmental health. Tufts gives a good definition at http://vet.tufts.edu/ccm/CM_Definition.html

Oh, okay, that makes a LOT more sense! Haha! But really, that sounds awesome! I've never actually heard of that as a discipline of veterinary medicine, but it definitely sounds like something I'm interested in. My undergrad degree is in wildlife ecology and so that's pretty much what I'm all about. The reason I'm interested in going into wildlife/exotics/therio is because I think it'd be really cool to help animals health-wise and conservation-wise. In fact, something I've written a lot of papers about in my undergrad has been reproduction in elephants in zoos, and why it's so poor compared to their reproductive success in the wild. I think it'd be really cool to make a difference in that aspect of zoo management, in order to make zoos more animal-friendly in all regards. I know some zoos already achieve that a lot better than others, but I think it'd be nice to have some input. Plus I think it'd be really cool to do some veterinary field research. Anyway, it sounds like we have a lot in common! It's cool to meet someone like-minded in veterinary interests :D

Does anyone know if we need to send in fall transcripts, and by when?

I keep looking for something on their website, but don't see any dates.

I know I sent them mine. Better safe than sorry, right?

To play it safe, I just e-mailed my unofficial transcript. I also asked about the deadline for receiving official transcripts (if they are required). I'll let you all know when I hear back!

I would be helpful, but A: I was IS so I don't know for OOS, B: I couldn't find it on the website either, and C: We are on winter break so I'm not up there to just stop in and ask.

Yup :) I heard back from Anna Teague and that's what she said. She also said that she'd keep my unofficial transcript in my record until my official is received, so that's bueno - it makes me feel better just in case my official transcript gets delayed or something scary!

Does anyone know when OK State sends out rejections / acceptance letters? Any Oklahomans going through interviews right now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when OK State sends out rejections / acceptance letters? Any Oklahomans going through interviews right now?

Ok-State will send out interview invites (they only interview IS) soon. They don't interview until February and acceptances/rejections go out mid-March. If you have any questions about the school feel free to PM me!

As an OOS student, I don't know how I'm going to survive until March :(

Ugh I know right? I have THREE schools I'm waiting on with March decisions :scared:

Yep, I've got OK and Dublin. How can they make us wait SOOOO LONG?! I mean, we've got life changing decisions happening here!!!!!!!?!?!? :laugh:

I'm new to this forum. I am IS and I just set up my interview - going in on 2/16.

I have been waiting so long to hear from Oklahoma, I sometimes forget I even applied at all.

Que carajo!

Just got the thin letter of sadness today :( There goes all my stateside schools. Good luck everyone else.

Just got the thin letter of sadness today :( There goes all my stateside schools. Good luck everyone else.

Already?! I though we wouldn't hear anything until March-ish... So sorry about Oklahoma drwildlife :(

I'm sorry drwildlife. That sucks.

I'm sorry about the thin letter. Are you applying to Ross, too?

No, but, I applied to St. George's University. I am really excited about St. George's and definitely had it in my top choices. I got an interview there so all is not lost. Just wish I would have gotten more interviews. All it takes is one though.

Wow, that's early. It kinda makes me wonder if there was something missing in your app - a class, a grade cutoff, etc. - but then you'd think they would let you know. I just thought everything went out in March unless you are IS - then they can not interview, but I still don't know about that.

Sorry, I know that doesn't help you any. :( I know how much that letter sucks - held a couple of them in my time. I hope you are happy wherever you end up!

(And we just got four transfers from St. G this spring, so yanno. Just sayin.')

(And we just got four transfers from St. G this spring, so yanno. Just sayin.')

Hey twelve tigers, are the St. George students actually transfers or are they just doing their clinical rotations with you? If I go to school abroad, I am designing to transfer back into the country. In your opinion, would you say that the transfer students are prepared for the Oklahoma curriculum? How have they faring so far?

Hey twelve tigers, are the St. George students actually transfers or are they just doing their clinical rotations with you? If I go to school abroad, I am designing to transfer back into the country. In your opinion, would you say that the transfer students are prepared for the Oklahoma curriculum? How have they faring so far?

I mean transfers, not those doing rotation - I'm a 1st year, and they have joined my class.

They seem prepared! They should be - they've had a year of class already, and have already had quite a few of our spring classes. Regardless, they don't seem to be struggling. For the most part, they just seem happy to be back in the states - closer to family and having some luxuries they may not have had on the island.

However, I'm pretty sure that not everyone that wants to transfer back to the states is able to. So I really, really would hesitate to go that route if you weren't absolutely sure that you would be okay spending 3 year's worth of time (and money) on the island.

My OOS friend just got her rejection letter in the mail today. How can they be sending them out already? I didn't think they were even done with in state interviews!

My OOS friend just got her rejection letter in the mail today. How can they be sending them out already? I didn't think they were even done with in state interviews!
They haven't even started with IS interviews.

I asked Anna while passing by the office today. Any rejections that have gone out this early aren't so much 'rejections' as they are 'disqualifications.' Anyone who has received a letter at this point was lacking something in their app.

So,
- a missing required course
- an 'upper level' course not taken at a 4 year university
- a required course more than 8 years old
- a C- or lower in a required course
- failure to meet the minimum GPA of 2.8 in required courses
- failure to take a substituting course by fall semester
- failure to take the GRE by November 30

Most of these would have been addressed at some point, and should also be mentioned in the letter sent out.

This is all I know.

I was under the impression since the website stated that upper level courses didn't have to be taken at a 4 year university??? Where is this stated/which courses?

Thank you for all of your information! You have been VERY helpful to this thread!!

Yanno, I don't know where it lists the courses. I know that 3000 and 4000 level courses are upper division here, so I just looked for the courses required with numbers in that range. So, organic chemistry, biochemistry, genetics, and animal nutrition.

Thanks TT, now I won't have to worry about checking the mail every day. The mailbox stalking can wait a few more weeks. :laugh:

I'm still not understanding where it is stated on their website that upper level courses must be taken at a four year university. In fact, I've found the exact opposite. Anyone else have any info?

I'm still not understanding where it is stated on their website that upper level courses must be taken at a four year university. In fact, I've found the exact opposite. Anyone else have any info?
I would call Anna Teague in the admissions office. Her number is (405) 744-6961. She is very helpful and will be able to answer any questions.

I would call Anna Teague in the admissions office. Her number is (405) 744-6961. She is very helpful and will be able to answer any questions.

Ditto. I'm pretty sure I'm correct with this information, but I am not sure where it is mentioned on the site. It seems pretty important for OOS applicants so... let us know what she says. (I don't want to be the crazy person pestering her about random stuff for no reason - since I'm not applying obv.)

The wait is over!

:laugh::highfive::soexcited::clap::woot: REJECTED!!!:claps::banana::rofl::zip:

Woo hoo! Dance, banana, dance!

The wait is over!

:laugh::highfive::soexcited::clap::woot: REJECTED!!!:claps::banana::rofl::zip:

Woo hoo! Dance, banana, dance!

Why did this make me laugh?!?!? Bad, fellow sock, bad!!!!

I'm very sorry. But it's great that you have a good outlook. If not a slightly insane one lol.

Why did this make me laugh?!?!? Bad, fellow sock, bad!!!!

I'm very sorry. But it's great that you have a good outlook. If not a slightly insane one lol.

Sometimes, it's that insane outlook that gets you by and gives you hope for next year!

Nobody likes a moper. No one is going to be happy for me that I was rejected, so I decided to be happy for myself. The midwest has completely blacklisted me. I take this as a sign that I was meant to go to Ross and scuba dive between classes, or go to Tufts or Penn and eat excellent food in the city on the weekends.

Thank you, Oklahoma!

To any in-state students with interviews tomorrow or Friday, good luck!

I applied OOS does anyone know how many offers they go through to fill their OOS spots?

I applied OOS does anyone know how many offers they go through to fill their OOS spots?
I don't think OSU over-accepts OOS, but they do use the waitlist. There are usually about 25 OOS spots per class.

I don't think OSU over-accepts OOS, but they do use the waitlist. There are usually about 25 OOS spots per class.

Yeah but like my instate typically has to make 75 offers to fill there 25 OOS spots. So I was wondering if anyone had numbers like that.

I sat and chatted with some interview kids today! :)

As for stats, I overheard a bit. There were 600 applicants this year. That's nearly a 100% increase from last year. However, the IS numbers are about the same (~150). Apparently, only two schools saw increased applications this year - OK and GA. Probably because of the dropped biology GRE requirement, and perhaps the fact that OKSU would take the OLD general GRE still (whereas many schools want the new one).

So... sorry, OOSers, I doubt that's what you wan't to hear. Just sharing my info. So about 450 OOS applicants for 20ish spots.

Don't lose hope yet, though. Letters should go out on MARCH 1st. However long it takes for the mail to get them to you, then.

I sat and chatted with some interview kids today! :)

As for stats, I overheard a bit. There were 600 applicants this year. That's nearly a 100% increase from last year. However, the IS numbers are about the same (~150). Apparently, only two schools saw increased applications this year - OK and GA. Probably because of the dropped biology GRE requirement, and perhaps the fact that OKSU would take the OLD general GRE still (whereas many schools want the new one).

So... sorry, OOSers, I doubt that's what you wan't to hear. Just sharing my info. So about 450 OOS applicants for 20ish spots.

Don't lose hope yet, though. Letters should go out on MARCH 1st. However long it takes for the mail to get them to you, then.

Thanks for keeping us updated TT. It's great to have an idea what to expect. :)

Man that bites. But it is what it is. Thanks TT!

Damn that's a lot of OOS applicants for OSU. Good luck you guys! I'm pulling for you!