Ok State Class of 2016 Applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Officially an alternate :)

Members don't see this ad.

Got my letter, alternate list! Does anyone know what my chances are? And for others who got an alternate letter, does the last sentence in the first paragraph say "your records compare favorably with those of students being offered admission." it seems like a very encouraging sentance but I am wondering if we all got it!

Got my letter, alternate list! Does anyone know what my chances are? And for others who got an alternate letter, does the last sentence in the first paragraph say "your records compare favorably with those of students being offered admission." it seems like a very encouraging sentance but I am wondering if we all got it!

Mine says that and I also have a final paragraph that states that my credentials are impressive blah blah blah. Not sure if that is standard as well, but I'm trying not to read too much into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine says that and I also have a final paragraph that states that my credentials are impressive blah blah blah. Not sure if that is standard as well, but I'm trying not to read too much into it.

Haha yeah mine had that too. Glad to know! I don't want to falsely get my hopes up, but then again, I want in SOOOO bad! :eek:

Ack! My moms informed me I have a letter from ok state! ( and UTK and my tufts waitlist letter). Can I leave work nowwwww???

does anyone know historically how many they pull off the waitlist? Is it possible to call and ask for what number you are, or will they not release that information over the phone as well?

I'm sorry to everyone who received a rejection letter :( I hope it all works out for you in the end!

To those on the waitlist, I was accepted but I'm planning on going to Oregon State rather than Oklahoma State. So there'll be at least one spot open for you! :D

SERIOUSLY on pins and needles over here for LMMS. I can't focus on studying!!! AHHHH!!!!:xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::luck::luck:

Seriously!!!! How long does that train take?!?!?! aaaahh

Wait listed and I must say they have a very encouraging letter about it lol. I guess two wait lists are better then one. :)

I agree, that letter was very encouraging!
Can any of the current students maybe do some of us out of staters a favor and post pictures of the lecture halls, classrooms, and VMTH if it is allowed please :)

I know they cant tell you what rank you are but any idea about how many people are put on the list?

I agree, that letter was very encouraging!
Can any of the current students maybe do some of us out of staters a favor and post pictures of the lecture halls, classrooms, and VMTH if it is allowed please :)
I don't have any pictures but I can tell you what I think. The classroom building is a little outdated but is getting small facelifts at a time. They recently redid the second year classroom with a bunch of flatscreens and some new whiteboards. There is a new building in the works right now that will house the 3rd year classroom and some offices but it hasn't been started yet. The VTH has a new small animal ICU and they just got a small animal MRI. We have open house this weekend so I can try to snag some pics. No guarantees though because I have to work a few booths.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just checked the mail--waitlisted as well. I also had the "your records compare favorably with those of students being offered admission" statement, so I'm guessing it's included in all the alternate letters. Anyone know how far down the alternate list they typically go? Anyone else disappointed that we won't be told our ranks? I find it incredibly frustrating when I'm trying to plan out my future...

This is only a theory, but I'm thinking that the waitlist might be larger than normal due to the increased number of applicants. I don't know if they could be sure how many OOS students would actually end up wanting to attend and not going elsewhere.

Traditionally, the waitlist does move, but they don't really tell people how many spots there are or how much movement occurs. I hate to say it, but you guys will probably have to sit tight. I have my fingers crossed for you guys!

Thanks so much Lissarae!!
Do students have a home room on campus? And is there a new computer requirement like a lot of the schools have? Do professors typically give out their power point so students can take notes on the computers? And how active are the clubs?
I don't mean to overload you with questions, I am just so curious about the school!

Thanks so much Lissarae!!
Do students have a home room on campus? And is there a new computer requirement like a lot of the schools have? Do professors typically give out their power point so students can take notes on the computers? And how active are the clubs?
I don't mean to overload you with questions, I am just so curious about the school!
I think there is a computer requirement but it isn't enforced. The school has desktops to use but they are old and slow. I think they aren't replacing them hence the computer requirement. Each class has a "home room" but you can have electives and what not in other classrooms. Most professors put their powerpoints online ahead of lecture. Almost every lecture is video recorded so students can access it later. Most clubs are very active and people are encouraged to go to meetings even if they aren't members of that club. We have a club for just about any interest including business, equine, bovine, small rums, canines, felines, emergency, shelter med, and on and on.

Just got home.... I am waitlisted.

merrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sorry to those who are stalking for the delay... When I got home there was a thin envelope in my mailbox. I huffed up the stairs, tossed it onto my coffee table with the rest of the junk from the day, fed the cat, took a shower, pitched a mini fit saying to myself I needed to find a new career path, opened a beer, and then sat down to read the letter...

WAITLISTED!!!!! :soexcited:

I realize for many others the word waitlist is a death sentence. However, for me, the 37-year-old, fourth time applicant and 18 time rejectee, this is the GREATEST letter I have ever received in my 10 years of chasing this dream. I really don't care if the sentences used went to everyone because this is the FIRST time any school of vet med has called me 'impressive'. Damn it, I AM good enough. I burst into tears and just sat and cried while I read it over and over again. After about a half hour, I finally called one of the three people outside of my references to tell him so he could talk me off the ledge. But it's still hitting me like a ton of bricks... I'm NOT rejected.

Sorry to those who are stalking for the delay... When I got home there was a thin envelope in my mailbox. I huffed up the stairs, tossed it onto my coffee table with the rest of the junk from the day, fed the cat, took a shower, pitched a mini fit saying to myself I needed to find a new career path, opened a beer, and then sat down to read the letter...

I realize for many others the word waitlist is a death sentence. However, for me, the 37-year-old, fourth time applicant and 18 time rejectee, this is the GREATEST letter I have ever received in my 10 years of chasing this dream. I really don't care if the sentences used went to everyone because this is the FIRST time any school of vet med has called me 'impressive'. Damn it, I AM good enough. I burst into tears and just sat and cried while I read it over and over again. After about a half hour, I finally called one of the three people outside of my references to tell him so he could talk me off the ledge. But it's still hitting me like a ton of bricks... I'm NOT rejected.

YAY LMMS!!! SOOOO happy for you :D

YAYYYYYYYY!!!!! Don't let my mopeyness bring you down ever (i am on four of them, so that's why I'm being so pooey)...

Waitlist IS an exciting thing!!!

Thanks, guys. NStarz - I'm looking forward to seeing where you decide to take your awesomeness. My latest intern is also leaning towards Ohio...

And, TigerWillow, no worries. I can only imagine how stressful it must be to sit on four waitlists. I'll keep my fingers crossed tight that one of those programs finds room! :xf:

Yay LMMS! I LOVE your attitude. Best of luck! You ARE good enough!

Yay!!! Congrats LMMS!

Waitlisted.

More than I was expecting, but less than I was hoping for.

And LMMS, CONGRATS! :D

Haha, so excited for you!!!! Really hoping a spot opens up for you!!

So awesome LMMS, WEN, and Tigerwillow!!! I know you have all worked SO hard for this!
I have my :xf: for you and hope you get off the WL soon

On another note, I still haven't heard anything yet?! :(
I'm not expecting much, but even getting my rejection at this point will just let me cross it off my list so I can almost complete this whole waiting thing. :D

Did anyone actually get in? It seems like OSU waitlisted a bunch of people! Just out of curiousity, does anybody know how many are on the waitlist? BTW, good luck to all of you guys waiting. Don't give up!

Nevermind, Lissarae just told me that they aren't giving out the waitlist numbers. That sucks! I know how anxious I was to find out. You guys must be on pins and needles.

OK (no pun intended, although now I wish it would have been intentional) never mind, just got my waitlist letter! :D

In my lame attempt to keep things in perspective :rolleyes: I'm wondering if one of the accepted folks could let me know if the letter you received stated whether or not they over-accepted for the class. I've seen in past years that the letters have said something to the effect of 'We have made offers to more people than we have spots. First ones to send in their fee will get the spaces'. Thus, I'm wondering if it's the same deal this year. Thanks!! :D

In my lame attempt to keep things in perspective :rolleyes: I'm wondering if one of the accepted folks could let me know if the letter you received stated whether or not they over-accepted for the class. I've seen in past years that the letters have said something to the effect of 'We have made offers to more people than we have spots. First ones to send in their fee will get the spaces'. Thus, I'm wondering if it's the same deal this year. Thanks!! :D

No, I just looked and I don't see anything that says that. BUT that doesn't mean they didn't over-accept.

To the best of my knowledge, they usually don't over accept. Instead they utilize their waitlist. This may not be accurate.

To the best of my knowledge, they usually don't over accept. Instead they utilize their waitlist. This may not be accurate.

My acceptance letter said something along the lines "we accept more students than we have spots for. If you dont send in your deposit ASAP, you are SOL if we run out of room"

But even with that, they ended up going to the waitlist, so who knows

Thanks so much for the responses!! As I suspected - it's a crap shoot. Thus, I shall just have to be patient, and hope for the best.

Thanks again!! :)

Does anyone know if you can schedule a visit or tour of the vet school? I couldn't really find anything on the website.

Does anyone know if you can schedule a visit or tour of the vet school? I couldn't really find anything on the website.
You sure can. Contact Anna Teague in the admissions office and she will help you out. Her number is (405) 744-6961.

Thank you! I was able to schedule a tour.
Also, do you know if the attire for a tour is more professional or casual? I was thinking of dressing more professional, but I don't want to be overdressed.

Thank you! I was able to schedule a tour.
Also, do you know if the attire for a tour is more professional or casual? I was thinking of dressing more professional, but I don't want to be overdressed.

For just a tour, dress casual. No one will write in your app "wore jeans- do not accept" or smth.

Just wear nice jeans, comfortable shoes, and a blouse - how's that? :)

ETA: Comfortable shoes with thick enough soles to potentially step into a footbath if you go into the food animal barn...

For just a tour, dress casual. No one will write in your app "wore jeans- do not accept" or smth.

Just wear nice jeans, comfortable shoes, and a blouse - how's that? :)

ETA: Comfortable shoes with thick enough soles to potentially step into a footbath if you go into the food animal barn...

Thanks!:)

Hey everybody,
I'm new around here, so I apologize in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place; I did a search but didn't find any other threads that answered my question.
I'll be in the class of 2016 (quite a relief, getting accepted here after being rejected by my in state school!!!) and I was doing some research on housing options in Stillwater. I'm a bit nervous because I found hardly any dog-friendly apartments! A couple that take "cats and small dogs", but that does me no good, as I have two 60 lb + dogs. I know I can't be the only vet student with a couple of big dogs... anyone living in Stillwater have suggestions about dog-friendly housing? Thanks for any answers...

Hey everybody,
I'm new around here, so I apologize in advance if I'm posting this in the wrong place; I did a search but didn't find any other threads that answered my question.
I'll be in the class of 2016 (quite a relief, getting accepted here after being rejected by my in state school!!!) and I was doing some research on housing options in Stillwater. I'm a bit nervous because I found hardly any dog-friendly apartments! A couple that take "cats and small dogs", but that does me no good, as I have two 60 lb + dogs. I know I can't be the only vet student with a couple of big dogs... anyone living in Stillwater have suggestions about dog-friendly housing? Thanks for any answers...

There are lots of houses and duplexes for rent here that will have a more pet-friendly approach. Every year, Anna sends out a list from the students looking for roommates or tennants, so that's probably worth waiting for as well.

Also, join the FB group - there are people that will post on there too.

I'm not sure where you're from and if it's possible to come out here.... but I found just driving around and looking for the "for rent" signs to be most helpful. I'll admit I was nervous (I'm from SC) but I found the equivalent of a dream come true for rentals and it's dog friendly. A lot of the duplexes aren't going to be posted online/etc so looking in person was just easier. Hope that was helpful and not more stressful haha. :)

Thanks for your help. It's encouraging to know that at least there are places available where big dogs are allowed, because my online searches turned up absolutely nothing. I was having visions of living in my pickup truck in a WalMart parking lot! :)
I'm living in VA with no possibility of being free to get out there in person before August, so I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and finally get a Facebook account to see what possibilities people are posting on there.

I'd either find a way to get out here or recruit someone to look at places for you if yoh are looking for your own apt/house... I looked at dozens of disgusting, falling apart places that sounded decent in ads or even looked nice in pics. Holes in walls, floors, mold, ripped up floors, broken steps, "nice yards" te size of postage stamps . It was disturbing! So glad I found my house :) there are lots of "private" rentals that take dogs, especially if they know you are a vet student.

One way or another, I just want to hear back already :confused: If any alternates hear anything, I hope you share on here ASAP. Certainly there must be people that they offered positions to who will make up their mind before April 15?