OKState c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@cowgirla that awkward moment when you're like I know you, but no one else here is sdn so do I say anything?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking forward to meeting any Oklahomans interviewing tomorrow and Friday! I won't be around much tomorrow since we have an anatomy beast to conquer, but I will be giving a tour 12-1 Friday and just mingling. Good Luck!!! :luck::luck::luck:

I'm an in-state applicant interviewing tomorrow. Super nervous! Any tips about the interview?

Just relax, breathe and smile. Make sure to give a good handshake and provide eye contact. Last year they had candy out on the table. I do not recommend grabbing a finger-size butterfinger. I did last year and attempted to open it while we waited for one of my interviewers who was running late. I left a mess everywhere and decided it was actually a good thing that most of it went on the table and not in my mouth. I don't know if they noticed or not though. I think being decisive in your answers is the best thing you can do. They are not there to say what you said is necessarily right or wrong, but are looking for a well thought out reply that is backed up with reason. Let me know if there is anything more specific you were looking for. You will have a bunch of students with you in the lobby while you wait to be called in, so you can make use of them to calm you down and keep you grounded if you need them to.

Mari, What time is your interview? I'm at 945 tomorrow and then will be on part of the noon tour (I need to be back to drop a horse at 130 for surgery). Check out the old Ok State threads. I found them to be helpful. It sounds like the interviews are pretty relaxed.

PS My dog's name is Shadow :)

My interview isn't until 4 tomorrow, which I'm realizing now was a mistake! I'm going to have entirely too much time to stress out. I'm going on the 3:00 tour. I've looked at a couple of the old OKSU threads, but it seems like we have one of the smallest online presences, lol. And since they only interview IS students, there's even less advice. Thanks for the advice, Lupin. I'm hoping my interviewers are pretty relaxed

Good luck tomorrow guys. Lupin and I nedd some luck for our anatomy exam tomorrow, too. Not going to be good :/

good luck on interviews! (and anatomy exams!) I will not be around since I'm using some of my personal days for job hunting, but as always, am happy to answer whatever questions I can here or by message. :)

So my interview was super short...only took 15 mins. Not sure it that's a good or bad sign. :confused:
How did yours go, Fly Racing?

So my interview was super short...only took 15 mins. Not sure it that's a good or bad sign. :confused:
Who were your interviewers? Mine was really short and it turned out fine. The longer ones actually seemed to be the worse ones because people were more unsure of the answers and it turned into more of an interrogation. Sure you did fine, should know in about 2 weeks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, so I bet I talked to you. Blue chicken sweatshirt.

Hm...I don't remember a blue chicken sweatshirt, but I probably just wasn't paying attention. I had on a bright blue top and light colored pants. There was a lot of people there and I was super nervous so I can't remember half of it!

Not sure if this will make the in staters feel any better, but I guess they only had 78 interviews this year... that's pretty good chances if you ask me. Not sure why more people, esp non trads don't get residency here before applying.

Huh, I wonder why the number was so low this year, don't they usually have closer to 100?

I came here for undergrad and was considered out of state for it, but took a year to work full time, get an OK driver's license, pay taxes, etc so I could be considered in state so I had better chances here. Especially since my former IS school (UF) is suuuuper competitive even for in state.

Huh, I wonder why the number was so low this year, don't they usually have closer to 100?

I came here for undergrad and was considered out of state for it, but took a year to work full time, get an OK driver's license, pay taxes, etc so I could be considered in state so I had better chances here. Especially since my former IS school (UF) is suuuuper competitive even for in state.
I did the same thing. I really didn't want to pay the IS for Davis or really have the want to go there, so I got myself back to OK to gain residency. Cheaper and I prefer the small class size and non-track curriculum. Glad you all have a high percentage chance for admission. I've chatted with a lot of the interviewees the past two days and would enjoy seeing you all get in.

Well, according to HorsesRLife, my interview did not go well! They had to knock on the door (twice!) to get my interviewers to wrap it up. I did not wear a watch, so I don't have any realistic idea on the actual time. I was the last person to be taken back (by probably 3-4 minutes) in my group, so maybe they were trying to make up some of that time? The faculty member stayed on the same ethics topic for all of his questions which was surprising. I don't know if he was testing the limits of the conviction I stated while answering one of my first questions or if he wanted to see me be more open minded. I was actually really impressed with the student! None of the questions were particularly challenging to answer, but I did lose my train of thought on one (yikes!). It is really hard to judge how things were going because no one gave any emotions and obviously no responses except follow up questions. They did say I did well as I was leaving, but I'm betting they tell everyone that.

The sheet they gave us said they will mail letters Feb 28th. Does this mean they are not going to email out acceptances as previously indicated? I was really hoping for email, since the mail doesn't deliver on Saturdays now and we'll probably be waiting until Monday.

Last edited:
HorsesRLife, thanks for the stats. Do they interview every eligible in-state applicant? Is it possible 100+ applied and only 78 were chosen to interview?

I also, moved here for vet school (sort of). I've been living here for 7 years including undergrad, but I only officially changed my residency a year ago. Otherwise, Washington was my instate and I really did not was to live in Pullman. It just wasn't a great fit for me and I love Oklahoma! I feel very much like an Oklahoman and most people don't know I'm not originally :)

Well, according to HorsesRLife, my interview did not go well! They had to knock on the door (twice!) to get my interviewers to wrap it up. I did not wear a watch, so I don't have any realistic idea on the actual time. I was the last person to be taken back (by probably 3-4 minutes) in my group, so maybe they were trying to make up some of that time? The faculty member stayed on the same ethics topic for all of his questions which was surprising. I don't know if he was testing the limits of the conviction I stated while answering one of my first questions or if he wanted to see me be more open minded. I was actually really impressed with the student! None of the questions were particularly challenging to answer, but I did lose my train of thought on one (yikes!). It is really hard to judge how things were going because no one gave any emotions and obviously no responses except follow up questions. They did say I did well as I was leaving, but I'm betting they tell everyone that.

The sheet they gave us said they will mail letters Feb 28th. Does this mean they are not going to email out acceptances as previously indicated? I was really hoping for email, since the mail doesn't deliver on Saturdays now and we'll probably be waiting until Monday.
They have always used snail mail for final decisions. Maybe someday email will be used, but it won't be this year. I wouldn't put any stock in how long the interview went. Just depends on your interviewers and the dynamics in the room. Who was your faculty member?

Yeah, totally wouldn't put a ton of weight on length. I think it depends on who interviews you. Like I said, some people in our class felt awful after their interview. Yeah a little over a hundred instaters applied, but they only interview the applicants they truly feel have a chance. Just take a deep breath and a glass of wine and feb 28th will be here before you know it. I think we had the same day as the mail out date and we got our acceptances the 27th. I just remember it was early and I had checked the mail after an awful, long day at work and was super surprised to find it that soon.

Do you remember who your student was?

I really wish I remembered my interviewers' names! They had awesome name tags on the table, but I didn't want to lose eye contact during the interview. If I saw any of them in walmart, I would recognize them, but I don't know their names. Like I said before, I was really impressed with my student interviewer. She was very poised and professional; she asked very good questions . She was a super ambassador for the program!

My faculty interviewer was Dr. Ross and I think my student was Betsy? I don't remember my practitioner.

My faculty interviewer was Dr. Ross and I think my student was Betsy? I don't remember my practitioner.
That's a good interview group. Betsy is awesome and so is dr. Ross.

You OOS kids are worried about tornadoes, but hell - earthquakes seem to be the new fad. Wat?

(Not like they do any damage, but it's still weird. Gonna blame frickin' fracking.)

I was hanging out in the large animal iso unit, all by my lonesome (Well, me and a very handsome patient). Everything started to vibrate- so weird. For a minute I thought someone drove into the garage door or something big collapsed.
Funny the horse didn't seem too bothered. He just kept munching away.

I was hanging out in the large animal iso unit, all by my lonesome (Well, me and a very handsome patient). Everything started to vibrate- so weird. For a minute I thought someone drove into the garage door or something big collapsed.
Funny the horse didn't seem too bothered. He just kept munching away.

food >>>> earthquake

Reactions: 1 user
They can't "prove" it's fracking, but when you look at the stats, how can it not be? After a hundred years of monitoring for earthquakes we have as many quakes in a day as we once had in 6-12 months and it started within months of the fracking.

One time I thought a big tree broke and landed on the house in the middle of the night. Nope, just a 5 point something quake cracking wood in the house.

Another time, I woke and thought I was on a airplane being woke up by turbulence. Opened my eyes. Nope, I was in my bed and we were having a 30 second plus quake.

On to letters, they might go out this week or next week? The sheet they gave us, said Friday of this week. I've been told the class was finalized on the 19th or 20th. Then it's just coordinating the sending of 85 letters :)

Actually it's probably hundreds of letters since it good news and bad news letters. That would take longer!

Last edited:
So do you know if they will be sent out this week?! I'm DYING waiting. And not very hopeful since I'm OOS :(

History says we'll start hearing news between tomorrow and next Tuesday.

I have committed to not checking my mail box (25 minutes away) until I hear on here others have started receiving letters. I don't think mail box stalking, when the mail box isn't at home is a good idea when there's midterms next week to study for!

Last edited:
Oh man, you're totally right! They had that whole hoopla about saving 1.7 billion a year and then I stopped getting mail on Saturday, so assumed it went through. But it looks like that was just our mail room doesn't sort Saturdays. Good to know for all those waiting on letters that Saturday is still there!

I am almost absolutely certain that I saw the mailman while walking the dogs last Saturday...
I read that as saw the mail man walking the dogs on Saturday. I was like man, she must have really stalked the mail man to know him/her walking his/her dogs

I read that as saw the mail man walking the dogs on Saturday. I was like man, she must have really stalked the mail man to know him/her walking his/her dogs

Hahaha I thought this too. I imagined you tackling the mailman on the weekend and saying "WHERES MY ACCEPTANCE LETTER?!"

So even the 4th years are hearing that letters go out this week so that has to be the case because we don't hear a lot from over in that building.

Hey everyone, I never post on here, but I creep all the time. Haha. Anyways, I just wanted to let everyone know that letters have been sent out as I received my acceptance letter today!!!!! I am an IS applicant!

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you!! Yep, it was regular size. It was kind of thick and had a seal on the back too.

Hey everyone, I never post on here, but I creep all the time. Haha. Anyways, I just wanted to let everyone know that letters have been sent out as I received my acceptance letter today!!!!! I am an IS applicant!
Ah congratulations! I'm OOS, so I'm sure mine will be a few days behind. I know my chances are SUPER slim getting in, but I'm trying to be optimistic since I have always dreamed of attending OSU! :nailbiting:

Super congratulations ansi14!! No letter for me today. I'll check again tomorrow!