Options and real estate wedlock - a beginner level trade on a real estate backed asset

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Im almost caught up to sp500.

Closed for a profit: 100 arkk contracts, arkf

Increased positions on: lyft, tan, upwk

Opened 10 ewz contracts

Rolled some $2 strike march mpw contracts to $2.5 strike April contracts to essentially get more premium (while increasing risk, but decreased position size slightly). Will roll more on a negative day.

Good month so far - gained 56k this month in 23 days (and redeemed my 15k of losses from last month to be up 6% YTD).

Current holdings attached. Hope it’s educational for someone to see positions and trades.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 395364D3-A6FC-4D8A-B9DE-2DF3D7BD3F11.png
    395364D3-A6FC-4D8A-B9DE-2DF3D7BD3F11.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 4544A003-24EF-4A62-89EF-6C5A4511F691.png
    4544A003-24EF-4A62-89EF-6C5A4511F691.png
    182.9 KB · Views: 34
  • A29041F5-4B40-47BC-A2F4-1C243BBE91BB.png
    A29041F5-4B40-47BC-A2F4-1C243BBE91BB.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: 2 users
Alright folks. Back to beating sp500 for the year.

Yesterday:

Added more tan and lyft. added $6 mpw calls. Added $70 arkk calls

rolled for profit - mpw $2 march contracts to $2 april contracts to increase premium amount.

8% gain YTD (56k), all of it was this month (71k this month).

Today: added a couple of sq and pypl starter positions for May.

Should get another 33k ish in 50 days.

Attachments

• 398FC9E2-B75C-4D0F-9885-2EB6903A5E8F.png
    398FC9E2-B75C-4D0F-9885-2EB6903A5E8F.png
    161.6 KB · Views: 28
  • DB512E84-F6C4-445F-B708-57F383D3E20C.png
    DB512E84-F6C4-445F-B708-57F383D3E20C.png
    189.8 KB · Views: 32
  • FEB4D3A2-EAE6-4160-8DF4-3FDB04185490.png
    FEB4D3A2-EAE6-4160-8DF4-3FDB04185490.png
    200 KB · Views: 30
  • 20952FF3-9475-4C10-BB96-D7A06BBBFD8C.png
    20952FF3-9475-4C10-BB96-D7A06BBBFD8C.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: 1 user
I'm usually very disciplined about setting a stop loss order at support immediately when I take a position. I was lazy with PARR and did not, therefore I was punished and it gapped down yesterday well before I could close the position. It reminded me to keep my own rules in place and follow them. I went through each of my positions and updated existing stop orders with new support levels and tightened all that up.

Re-opened NVDA. Opened BRK/B position. 1mo = 19.26% 3mo = 35.54%

I've traded Berkshire Hathaway a lot over the years. It's one of those few places I'll dump cash from time to time when I don't have anywhere specific to put it as long as the chart looks healthy and hey....it's Buffet. The only thing I worry about these days with it there is waking up to Buffet's death on the newspaper and the stock whipping down simply from the news.

Update: Opened TSM position.

Current Portfolio with gain/loss: (not really accurate because most of my big losers have already been closed so this more or less represents my "long" positions and new positions.)

ANF +40.38%
AMD +14.25%
GOOG +2.5%
BRK.B -1.02%
BLBD +8.06%
CLS +85.12%
GRBK +11.17%
HCI +12.72%
META +82.6%
MSFT +10.37%
MOD +47.03%
NVDA +1.13%
POWL +196.68%
STRL +65.58%
STNE +3.78%
TMUS +4.45%
TSM -.05%
VST +60.25%

Am looking to diversify more cash into a few ETFs over the next week so I spent some time reviewing charts and setting alerts to hopefully find entry soon. Keep eyeballing SMCI for re-entry but still too volatile. Set a few alerts on lower timeframes, will come back to it tomorrow. Not convinced I want to touch that one again. My ichimoku/RSI Filter fished out COHR today. Nice chart. I'd consider it if I didn't have too much tech already. That's it for today. Shift coming up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Screenshot 2024-03-01 at 12.18.01 PM.png

Uh oh...Look who broke the Kumo cloud today! :D

As for me:

GRBK stop loss triggered so I'm out of that one.

Screener fished up the following:

TSM
SMCI
TTDKY
COHR
SUN
GLP
FLXS
OWL

Spent all morning going over charts. Also looked at a few that had set off alerts over last few days:

CNC
MFC
COIN
HOOD (I'm not really serious about a COIN or HOOD position but I did set alerts on them.)

I normally don't take new positions on a Friday but SPY looks good, XLF sector is down today but still...up 4% last month, 7% YTD so looking healthy. Chart is decent. Took position in OWL and teeny tiny one in MFC. I really like the GLP chart but meh about the company.

That's it for me today. I don't feel great and am recovering from nights. I think I'll go eat a turkey burger and play video games.

Last edited:
View attachment 383442

Uh oh...Look who broke the Kumo cloud today! :D

As for me:

GRBK stop loss triggered so I'm out of that one.

Screener fished up the following:

TSM
SMCI
TTDKY
COHR
SUN
GLP
FLXS
OWL

Spent all morning going over charts. Also looked at a few that had set off alerts over last few days:

CNC
MFC
COIN
HOOD (I'm not really serious about a COIN or HOOD position but I did set alerts on them.)

I normally don't take new positions on a Friday but SPY looks good, XLF sector is down today but still...up 4% last month, 7% YTD so looking healthy. Chart is decent. Took position in OWL and teeny tiny one in MFC. I really like the GLP chart but meh about the company.

That's it for me today. I don't feel great and am recovering from nights. I think I'll go eat a turkey burger and play video games.

Yeah I’m kinda bummed about playing the other side with $6 calls. It limited my gains over the last two days. Can’t complain though - ytd 37k gain on mpw.

Rolled the $6 calls to $7 calls today, increased position size to 500 though from 350 contracts😬. Going to cash out of those the moment there is a negative day and those positions make money. I hate doing strangles (selling naked put and naked call combo), but it’s the most efficient use of capital…so I’m doing it 🤣 literally i could open 800 more positions and get 5k extra premium while using almost no buying power -_- but my fear of a very legit short squeeze keeps me from doing it. I mean….34 ish percent short interest - that’s more than gme right?

47 days left. 15k premium remains in my position.

I need Monday to be a negative 3-4 percent day. Then I’ll roll my $2 and $2.5 strike positions to $3 strike and close my $7 calls.

Red day so far. SPY broke down through kumo on 30. Opened MFC, OWL, AMR, UTI positions other day. GOOG stop loss triggered yesterday so I'm out of that one. I feel like there's been a flood of negative GOOG press lately. I don't know if it's legit or if it's manipulation by some of the hedge funds with a short interest. I'm actually really surprised it's been down almost 15% over last month. Still looking at CNC, PLTR, COHR.

Kicking myself for missing a perfect re-entry set up on SMCI other day. It pulled back beautifully, compressed and almost perfectly touched the .38 fibonacci extension on its second pullback, then had an almost textbook counter trendline breakout. That would have been a perfect entry with a very tight stop loss. I can't believe I didn't see that.

Screenshot 2024-03-05 at 9.12.04 AM.png

Feel bad for the AAPL longs...about to form death cross on the daily. Bad news if it doesn't hold 165. It already broke through 180 support. In fact, if it breaks 165, I might short it. If I had thought about it, I would have shorted from 180 to 165.

Update: POWL tanked 13% after open. I'm not sure why. Amazingly it did not trigger my stop loss which was at 147. It got as low as 157. I added 50% of my original position @ 160 once it showed support on the 30. Changed both stops to 155, then changed them back to 147 as a gamble. It's now up 5% I'm not sure why it fell. I still think it's a great long term stock so I'm hoping this was just a correction today. Excellent entry point for anyone that's been waiting to go long. ANF has earnings tomorrow. Updated stop to 132.

Got an alert last hour on CRM which pulled back over 5%. Set alert for kumo break out on 3m chart which alerted last 20 mins market. Took a position around 296 with tight stop. Been waiting awhile for entry on this one so hopefully it works out.

Last edited:
Red day so far. SPY broke down through kumo on 30. Opened MFC, OWL, AMR, UTI positions other day. GOOG stop loss triggered yesterday so I'm out of that one. I feel like there's been a flood of negative GOOG press lately. I don't know if it's legit or if it's manipulation by some of the hedge funds with a short interest. I'm actually really surprised it's been down almost 15% over last month. Still looking at CNC, PLTR, COHR.

Kicking myself for missing a perfect re-entry set up on SMCI other day. It pulled back beautifully, compressed and almost perfectly touched the .38 fibonacci extension on its second pullback, then had an almost textbook counter trendline breakout. That would have been a perfect entry with a very tight stop loss. I can't believe I didn't see that.

View attachment 383587

Feel bad for the AAPL longs...about to form death cross on the daily. Bad news if it doesn't hold 165. It already broke through 180 support. In fact, if it breaks 165, I might short it. If I had thought about it, I would have shorted from 180 to 165.

Update: POWL tanked 13% after open. I'm not sure why. Amazingly it did not trigger my stop loss which was at 147. It got as low as 157. I added 50% of my original position @ 160 once it showed support on the 30. Changed both stops to 155, then changed them back to 147 as a gamble. It's now up 5% I'm not sure why it fell. I still think it's a great long term stock so I'm hoping this was just a correction today. Excellent entry point for anyone that's been waiting to go long. ANF has earnings tomorrow. Updated stop to 132.

Got an alert last hour on CRM which pulled back over 5%. Set alert for kumo break out on 3m chart which alerted last 20 mins market. Took a position around 296 with tight stop. Been waiting awhile for entry on this one so hopefully it works out.

I’m down 0.5% today. Made some very big moves since a big negative day is a put sellers dream as vix and premiums go up - as long as there is liquidity.

Every positive position was closed to create buying power and liquidity. So closed TAN, ewz, fxi - cashed out profits. Closed $2 and most $2.5 strike mpw positions.

All this creates liquidity to sell puts for what was a great day to sell puts.

Used liquidity to sell puts on tickers that were heavily negative today.

Increased arkk positions and dropped strike - ended with 500 may contracts at $38 strike from previous $39 strike

Increased pypl and dropped strike - went down to $45 strike from $47.5 and increased to 45 may contracts

Opened 265 sofi $5 may contracts.

Closed $12 strike April lyft positions for profit. Opened 150 $11 strike May positions.

Opened 115 may upwk $10 strike positions.

the above positions plus my remaining $3 april puts and $7 april calls for mpw should increase account balance by $45k in 72 days. Currently at 56k (8%) YTD gain. Ofcourse it all depends on things going according to plan 🤣🤣🤣

Mpw earnings win.

42k of premium left in my mpw positions.

Cashed out massive gains and placed 200k in a hysa until the next major negative day and vix spike. Invested 35k in a real estate syndication with day 1 9 percent cash on cash yield and about to invest another 25k in a grocery shadow anchored plaza. Still leaving enough positions open to gain 5 percent in 2.5 months but much smaller position sizes.

Feb 21st 2024 - ytd gain was $21888
March 20th 2024 - ytd gain now 80k.

Not a bad turn around. Mpw is my largest money maker this year

The next 30 days, upwk and lyft should be my big money makers. Hopefully.

Holdings attached for anyone that finds it educational.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 89EF99B3-DE2C-4C94-8DDA-734F79335C07.png
    89EF99B3-DE2C-4C94-8DDA-734F79335C07.png
    115.3 KB · Views: 25
  • FCCC0648-00A6-4FF1-9D45-F1361DEF8379.png
    FCCC0648-00A6-4FF1-9D45-F1361DEF8379.png
    153.5 KB · Views: 21
  • F8D28391-4481-498C-84AE-7F561D2DD7A5.png
    F8D28391-4481-498C-84AE-7F561D2DD7A5.png
    137 KB · Views: 23
  • BE79C933-36A1-4EF4-89FD-37CFA070912C.png
    BE79C933-36A1-4EF4-89FD-37CFA070912C.png
    140.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 88CAB2FF-8614-4CE5-B0AF-CFC01319EC44.png
    88CAB2FF-8614-4CE5-B0AF-CFC01319EC44.png
    150.4 KB · Views: 21
Real question @cyanide12345678

Why not just do this as a career since you can beat the market?

That's something largely unachievable by those who spend their entire careers trying to do this?

What am I missing here?
I'm waiting for the naysayers to come and chime in. But, nothing succeeds like success!

"You can't do that!!"

Anyone investing in real estate?

Last edited:

That's something largely unachievable by those who spend their entire careers trying to do this?

What am I missing here?

The uncertainty of markets.

I mean a covid drop of 20-30 percent in 1 month could have destroyed me. It’s a strategy that’s easier to do when something has already been beaten down like crazy because there’s a bottom somewhere.

So 4 years I’ve been doing this. Unfortunately etrade doesn’t show >3 yr cumulative returns. But the running 3 yr return has continued to beat spy by 20-30 percent.

But ytd I’m only at 11 percent compared to 9 percent of spy, which is barely barely above spy mostly because of the incredible run of spy - as a put seller my upside is limited so it’s actually very hard to compete with a 100 percent spy portfolio in a massive bull market.

But mentally, that’s not what i compete with - i compete with my vanguard 2055 retirement target fund - because the reality is that if i didn’t do options, this account would be a 3 fund portfolio with 60:40 US vs international mix.

Edit: added my solo 401k account in the attached graph that is my personal performance benchmark that i target at beating. If i stop beating a 3 fund portfolio which is basically a target fund - then I’m calling it quits. But my 3 year return is 54% vs 16% in a target fund. Because honestly, id be doing vti and vxus if i invested traditionally.

Attachments

• DD03E706-83EE-422D-B67D-3A6E9550E04D.png
    DD03E706-83EE-422D-B67D-3A6E9550E04D.png
    169.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cashed out massive gains and placed 200k in a hysa until the next major negative day and vix spike. Invested 35k in a real estate syndication with day 1 9 percent cash on cash yield and about to invest another 25k in a grocery shadow anchored plaza. Still leaving enough positions open to gain 5 percent in 2.5 months but much smaller position sizes.

Feb 21st 2024 - ytd gain was $21888
March 20th 2024 - ytd gain now 80k.

Not a bad turn around. Mpw is my largest money maker this year

The next 30 days, upwk and lyft should be my big money makers. Hopefully.

Holdings attached for anyone that finds it educational.

Cheers.
That's fantastic. You squeezed gold out of that little MPW stinker! Nice gains.

What am I missing here?

Honest question for you guys - how does a random schmuck with no actual credentials required to manage money somehow turn a hobby into a career?

Seems so hard and stressful - i know how i react when I’m down 10-20k in a day, but investors are fickle - they panic.

Ive thought about it multiple times- but i just don’t have the personality to be begging people to be my clients. Plus i think it will be very stressful to be responsible for losing someone’s money.

True story - a fellow Pakistani dude was begging me to teach him everything i do a couple days ago- i gave him resources to read, YouTube vids to watch. But he’s basically insisting on paying me for my time and setting up a zoom call where i guide him step by step. The guy is asking me to charge him - and I’m feeling A lot of hesitation in even asking him for any monetary compensation - it seems to transactional being like ‘pay me $100 and I’ll zoom with you’.

I’ve done it for free in the past for some friends, like literally zoom call and step by step account creation and first trade, but I’ve noticed, even when i teach someone everything, they don’t have the same interest on active management. They just let it be - and if the trade goes against them, they do nothing. So they never get the same results.

But yeah….i feel very weird about asking for money for this stuff. My wife keeps telling me to charge people 😂 especially when i spend several hours explaining premium harvesting to people. I even bought the domain putselling.com - just don’t know what to do with it. Setting up a business is incredibly hard - no matter how good my returns are - i don’t think it’s easy to get clients as a ‘financial advisor’.

I'm waiting for the naysayers to come and chime in. But, nothing succeeds like success!

"You can't do that!!"
I’ll bite. I think those of us that disagree have already said our piece. We’ll have to give it a few years or maybe even decades to see how it plays out.

“Waste your money and you’re only out of money, but waste your time and you’ve lost a part of your life.” - Michael LeBoeuf

Money isn’t as important as time. If your pleasure is money or perhaps more likely financial and mathematical strategy, then it may not be wasted time. For the rest, allow time to passively grow your money in index funds. It’s a strategy that has beaten a lot of people who have wasted their money and time in the pursuit of beating the company store.

Money isn’t as important as time. If your pleasure is money or perhaps more likely financial and mathematical strategy, then it may not be wasted time. For the rest, allow time to passively grow your money in index funds. It’s a strategy that has beaten a lot of people who have wasted their money and time in the pursuit of beating the company store.

Even though we disagree a lot, 100% agree with you on this. this takes time. So much time. Very few people have the same love/obsession of finance. They just don’t want to learn and spend the time. They should just stick with index investing.

Reactions: 5 users
I’ll bite. I think those of us that disagree have already said our piece. We’ll have to give it a few years or maybe even decades to see how it plays out.
The thing is, the guy says when he doesn't hit. He seems trustworthy to me, so I take it at face value. Some people are just very good at some things. People that disagree seem to think, "it's only a matter of time - you WILL lose", but, when is that? It's like sports betting: table gaming, you will approach the median, but, sports betting, you can go infinitely. You don't have to bet every cent. The naysayers seem to think that this guy will eventually end up destitute. I don't.

Reactions: 5 users
Honest question for you guys - how does a random schmuck with no actual credentials required to manage money somehow turn a hobby into a career?

Seems so hard and stressful - i know how i react when I’m down 10-20k in a day, but investors are fickle - they panic.

Ive thought about it multiple times- but i just don’t have the personality to be begging people to be my clients. Plus i think it will be very stressful to be responsible for losing someone’s money.

True story - a fellow Pakistani dude was begging me to teach him everything i do a couple days ago- i gave him resources to read, YouTube vids to watch. But he’s basically insisting on paying me for my time and setting up a zoom call where i guide him step by step. The guy is asking me to charge him - and I’m feeling A lot of hesitation in even asking him for any monetary compensation - it seems to transactional being like ‘pay me $100 and I’ll zoom with you’.

I’ve done it for free in the past for some friends, like literally zoom call and step by step account creation and first trade, but I’ve noticed, even when i teach someone everything, they don’t have the same interest on active management. They just let it be - and if the trade goes against them, they do nothing. So they never get the same results.

But yeah….i feel very weird about asking for money for this stuff. My wife keeps telling me to charge people 😂 especially when i spend several hours explaining premium harvesting to people. I even bought the domain putselling.com - just don’t know what to do with it. Setting up a business is incredibly hard - no matter how good my returns are - i don’t think it’s easy to get clients as a ‘financial advisor’.
I don't think it's worth it to be honest. I can barely find time to do my own market research, trading and then work my EM shifts much less find the time for other people. Half the time, I don't even know where to start and most people want years worth of knowledge condensed into a couple of Youtube videos. I also would feel absolutely horrible about giving someone some "non financial advice" and having them lose their money. That being said, aren't you running some sort of trading company or group already? If so, then it might not be too far from home ground. Sometimes, I think about giving Reddit/SDN/Youtube or whomever some sort of secret trading system once I get everything dialed in but then I feel so embarrassed knowing that there's got to be plenty of professional traders in retail and certainly in some of these prop firms or hedge funds that would consider what I'm doing to be akin to a 2 year old playing with legos. But hey, if you end up teaching these guys most definitely charge them at least what you'd be making in the ED. Otherwise, that's completely not worth your time.

On the other hand, you could whip up one of those online trading academies and peddle the wares to Reddit/SDN/YT, etc.. If you had a little Tony Robbins in you, you could probably schmooze quite a few people in the WSB forum and make some money. Just be prepared for that wild eyed 2am knock on the door with some poor schmuck standing there with a shotgun telling you how he's "lost it all thanks to your advice", etc.. That's the stuff that worries me. Losing 20-30K in my account in a single day is tolerable albeit depressing but some of these guys are trading their inheritance or money they've put up for their house.

Anyway, on to happier topics. Here's my perf YTD. I don't have 1Y+ data anymore since I changed brokerage. 2023 is off to a not too shabby start. Let's see if I can keep it up or if I end up losing it all back to the market and licking my wounds this fall.

PS, I was wrong about my 40+ % performance, that one included contributions. This one does not. I can't remember if I posted that in here or another thread.

And yes...if the tech sector tanks, I'm screwed.

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 1.36.18 PM.png

Current positions:

ABBV
AMD
APP
BRK/B
BLBD
OWL
CLS
DELL
HCI
MFC
META
MSFT
MOD
NVDA
CRM
STRL
SMCI
TMUS
TSM
TM
VIST
VST
SPMO

I'd also have some SMH but I had some sort of order snafu and didn't realize the order didn't fill until several days later.

Currently on nights. Spent a good 1-2 hours last night analyzing stop orders on my charts which is my least favorite thing to do and always gives me a splitting headache.

And yes....if the tech sector tanks, I'm screwed.

I am pretty much your friend when it comes to this.

I've been following your posts, how-tos, and explanations and threw $40k into an account to see if I could even understand the basics of options and it just didn't go well at all. And I like to think I have a good understanding of protecting against downside risk.

I don't think I'm an idiot (I had no problem with vector calculus and differential equations back in college) but this stuff didn't stick.

It took a lot of "market tuition" to realize this... even with what seemed to be low-risk positions.

I do think you have a gift if you're able to do this and continuously beat the market

I've been following your posts, how-tos, and explanations and threw $40k into an account to see if I could even understand the basics of options and it just didn't go well at all. And I like to think I have a good understanding of protecting against downside risk.

I don't think I'm an idiot (I had no problem with vector calculus and differential equations back in college) but this stuff didn't stick.

It took a lot of "market tuition" to realize this... even with what seemed to be low-risk positions.

I do think you have a gift if you're able to do this and continuously beat the market
You might look into other types of investing. Options trading isn't for everyone. I've never been very good at it nor have I been interested enough to do all the learning. Some things click with people better. I feel the same way about day trading which I suck at.

You might look into other types of investing. Options trading isn't for everyone. I've never been very good at it nor have I been interested enough to do all the learning. Some things click with people better. I feel the same way about day trading which I suck at.

What strategies are you using? Are you mostly a long-biased swing trader (e.g. those positions you posted above?)

Single equity buy-and-hold-after-a-lot-of-fundamental-and-technical-anaylsis with weight towards tech?

What strategies are you using? Are you mostly a long-biased swing trader (e.g. those positions you posted above?)

Single equity buy-and-hold-after-a-lot-of-fundamental-and-technical-anaylsis with weight towards tech?

Medium/Long term swing momentum investor. I honestly must give most of the credit to Seeking Alpha quant database. If you did nothing but invest in top rated stocks at "strong buy", chances are you would do well over the long term. Many of the Alpha picks have been big winners for me. I gravitate to the most active sectors and pay attention to sector rotation adjusting portfolio respectively.

Indicators: Ichimoku, SMA 50/200, Stochastic RSI, MACD

I look for favorable cloud structure on multiple timeframes and I wait for overbought conditions. Typically Stochastic RSI below 20-30 with a new K/D crossover. I'll fine tune this on lower timeframes such as 15M/30M/4H. I also look for pull backs to key support or Fibonacci levels (all the usual technical analysis stuff, nothing fancy). I do use some advanced ichimoku alerts. I used to sell my positions if SA lowered their rating but I don't do that any more. I let the runners run and have fairly reasonable stop market orders ranging anywhere from 3-7%, occasionally 10% if I have one that I really believe is a long term winner but has a lot of intraday volatility but that's rare. Typically, I like to avoid volatile stocks with difficult support levels to identify or support levels that are too far off to set a reasonable stop, especially those with anemic market cap.

My screeners are constantly providing new stocks and I will analyze and cherry pick a few and set alerts. That way when my stop loss gets triggered, I pretty much always have alternate equities to immediately rotate into.

I try not to trade against the trend. If market or sector is sideways/bearish and/or VIX 20-30 then it's been far better for me to rotate into cash and bide my time for better market conditions.

It's far better and less stressful to do index investing. I can't convey how much time I spend reading/learning/analyzing charts. I might spend 3-4 hours on a day off and at least 1-2 hours on my working days depending on schedule. Index is far less risk and absolutely more financially responsible. I've had major draw downs during market downturns that have felt like a sucker punch to the gut. Honestly, I've been pretty impressed by those robo-AI stock pick services on the major brokerages. They can pick a pretty reasonable portfolio if you answer all the questions honestly. I think most people would be in good hands using one of those and getting disciplined with regular contributions.

In full disclosure, my 6M performance is 29%. I spent much of Sept-Dec in the red or neutral. 6M SPY was 21%. I can make a lot of excuses for those few months but those are the facts. It's easy to feel good when you're doing well in the market but the reality is that it's impossible for me (or most people) to sustain that kind of 2024 YTD performance. It's a lot of luck and riding the AI train shenanigans. As you can see, most people that park it into an index would have probably almost matched my performance over that 6M timeframe with a lot less stress.

Most times that I've lost significant money, it's breaking my own rules or getting too attached to stocks I've been riding for several months and convincing myself I can time their pull backs accurately. Most of the time if I had just gotten out and felt good about my gains, that would have been far better than re-investing and losing another 5%

Last edited:
@Groove

Congratulations on such an amazing start to the year. Hopefully tech just keeps going.

I’m basically admin of a WhatsApp group with 1000 US based Pakistani doctors. I don’t own the group, i didn’t form it, i was just made admin by the guy who owned the group because i obviously had a lot of things to add when it came to options and syndications - the WhatsApp group has two subgroups of options trading and real estate/syndications.

In fact once i even went through the effort to get a syndicator to do a special webinar for people from the group only.

So yeah…a lot of people from those groups are hitting me up for advice through WhatsApp messages - dozens of people actually. Though there’s no monetary gain for me at all through there, i don’t even own the group. Could be removed by the owner any day if he wanted lol.

Last edited:
How do you both approach LTCG/STCG taxes strategically?

Do you just eat it and not think about it? or some other approach?

I eat it. But this yr will be the first year that i will apply to be trader tax status so i might write off a few grand of things

Here’s what I’ve learned in my years as an options trader and where i think people go wrong.

People are scared of Margin, they are scared of leverage aka naked puts. It’s almost impossible to beat spy with cash covered positions - it’s a risk reducing strategy - lower risk lower reward.

But naked puts are one of the best deals in trading - you leverage, but for free. There’s no interest on the leverage - you just have to be careful and not be stupid to blow up your account.

So…. Once you accept that leverage is your friend. Then the next thing to realize is that you need to use leverage as a tool to decrease risk. Odd statement right? I mean how can leverage decrease risk? But…. Leverage let’s you have strike prices that are so so so far out that they are so unlikely, so it’s usually a winning bet with very low probability of failure, while still getting very meaningful return.

With that in mind - let’s look at one of my larger holdings:

Lyft
325 put contracts sold for $13 strike, june expiration (3 months), $28 per contract premium received.

If this was cash covered - that’s $28/(1300-28) = 2.2% return in 3 months. Todays price $20.28, so about a 36 percent downside protection before you’re in the money.

But 2.2 percent return in 3 months = 8.8 percent annualized. I mean…. It’s okay. But not the greatest return ever.

Now if your account was approved for naked puts. You only need $250 minus premium = $250 - $28 = $222. Now all of a sudden your return is $28/222 in 3 months = 12.6%. So….12.6% in 3 months with 36 percent downside protection.

similarly i have 150 $12 strike positions too. $18 premium per contract - $18/232 = 7.7 percent in 3 months. That’s a 40 percent downside protection compared to todays price.

Those two positions are about 12k in premium. Not bad right?

Now here’s the other side of the equation why i feel $13 and $12 are decent strike positions.

If you look at the chart - lyft was at $12 ish before earnings. They beat earnings on both revenue, and bottom line, and increased their total number of rides and on top of that forecast improving margins moving forward. And continued profitability - they were a company losing money, but they’ve transitioned to positive cash flow and income and improving margins - all great news. Market reacted happily - stock goes to $17 overnight on the good news of earnings. And it’s continued it’s positive momentum since, increasing wildly over the last 3-4 weeks - hitting 20 today.

Now $12 is the price before all this positive news. There’s going to be A lot buying support anywhere near those levels (i mean over night it went to 17 because $12 was too cheap for the positive growth). Plus all the moving averages are now being pulled up above $12, which will all be solid support levels.

So it’s what i think a solid risk adjusted return. Yes my larger position is $13 strike and not $12, but i can always roll and move it down and decrease my return if absolutely needed. Still positive return none the less.

And that’s the kind of thought process that’s going into my trades - same thought process for upwk, mpw, pypl. And then the rest of the portfolio is puts on etfs like ewz, arkk, fxi, tan.

Edit:

Now the fear mongers will say that 325 contracts for $13 strike is a maximum loss of $422k. But realistically - things don’t go to 0. There is Inherent value in the lyft brand, their revenue, their income, their growth, them being a household name. Their ipo opening day price was $78 - so $13 is a bargain price. It’s a point at which a trader can maneuver around, prolong expirations, drop strikes and eventually make it work through recovery in the event of a 35-40 or even 50 percent drop. Like mpw dropped from $8 to $3, as a trader, i still worked it out by managing positions. The underlying fact of the matter remains - the financials are solid, lyft isn’t going bust. So while people freak out at the theoretic maximum loss - but it shouldn’t go to $0 when it has 4-5 billion in revenue, growing margins and growing income.

See the theory?

Last edited:
  • Wow
That reminds me of something. Guy I used to know worked for a cable company subcontractor (would install cable TV systems). Their coaxial cable, if there was less than 200ft left on the reel, they would just dispose of it. That was the break point for cost effective or not (I don't recall if I ever knew how much was on the full reel).

People that are incredulous that you can do this, while big brokerage houses don't, maybe it's not cost-effective to them. Maybe they DO know about it, and it's just not worth it to them.

That reminds me of something. Guy I used to know worked for a cable company subcontractor (would install cable TV systems). Their coaxial cable, if there was less than 200ft left on the reel, they would just dispose of it. That was the break point for cost effective or not (I don't recall if I ever knew how much was on the full reel).

People that are incredulous that you can do this, while big brokerage houses don't, maybe it's not cost-effective to them. Maybe they DO know about it, and it's just not worth it to them.

The irony is, the current running 3 year total no longer includes my first 9 months of doing options where by sheer luck and over leveraging (didn’t realize i was over leveraged), i was hitting it out of the park. Adding an old screenshot from july, so 9 months ago when the 3 year cumulative gain was 110% vs 40 percent spy.

End of March 2021 (3 years ago), i actually had a large loss due to over leverage resulting in almost an entire year of exploring new strategies. The march loss resulted in trying iron condors, that resulted in a very large loss in April - i think a 10 percent drop - this was because of realizing the lack of flexibility of an iron condor and inability to do rolls. The market was going against me, i tried to roll, i couldn’t because of the iron condor, i panicked, and liquidated and took the loss. Next i tried leaps on almost 30-50 individual stocks picked from a motley fool subscription…. Yeah I’m never picking motley fool junk picks again.

But yeah…. The point is, the current 3 year cumulative return of 55%vs 30% spy no longer includes an incredible run just 9 months before that and starts with a full 1 year of exploring new strategies and under performance. Eventually after a year of trying new things, i found a strategy that works - which I’ve used since june 2022 - 20 months now with almost 0 changes in strategy.

To the haters - if you’re going to point out that the last 4 numbers of the account were different in the 9 month ago screenshot compared to the now screenshot then yes they were. Etrade was bought by Morgan Stanley and all accounts were merged and new account numbers created based on how Morgan Stanley accounts were numbered. This happened in October 2023.

9 month old 3 year cumulative return attached.

Attachments

• 32BF7EF5-4E75-4934-838E-DB7544389875.jpeg
    32BF7EF5-4E75-4934-838E-DB7544389875.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I've watched your ascent for who knows how long now and appreciate you posting all the long-form posts to go along with it.

Keep going because I find it fascinating.

To me, this is now like watching a top-tier golf player within the pro circuit.

Sure I can play golf, and enjoy doing it in a very amateur fashion. But the talent, drive, and discipline to get to the pro leagues is beyond my reach.

Added 714 shares SKYW. Stop 63.5

If this one burns me, it's my own fault because I've traditionally avoided trading all airline tickers.

out of your list of stocks, what are your top 3 highest conviction tickers?

I’m getting tempted to sell a $3 may put on SOUN. 5 percent return, cash covered, without leverage, in 2 months.

Going to learn more about the hype of this company. I’m assuming hyped up because AI in general is hyped up and nvda owning a stake.

buying at all time highs makes me nervous on this one.
It's the concept of "Superperformance stocks" and is a fundamental strategy in momentum investing. Classic reference would be Richard Love's book by the same name. It's based on some of Jesse Livermore's concepts and Mark Minervini also writes quite a bit on this one. You're basically trying to identify stocks with a strong trend and following that trend. Stocks that are outperforming their sector will most of the time be trading at all time highs but if you think about it...let's say a stock had 200% performance out of the last year (and we see this all the time right?) then every time you considered it over that year, it would have basically been sitting around an all time high and you never would have taken a position versus taking a position based on conviction that the trend will continue and riding it up over that year. It requires a different set of rules where you are not only trying to identify companies with solid fundamentals but companies in a strong uptrend, undervalued compared to their sector, strong market sentiment, etc.. It requires continuous monitoring and disciplined risk management. These stocks can easily go against you but that's the basic philosophy in momentum investing. I'm not concerned with stocks that are at all time lows but rather stocks that are showing very strong momentum with solid fundamentals. Most stocks that are at all time lows are in a downtrend and while this may be good for long term investing, it's not very good for momentum investing. The most difficult part is identifying and/or anticipating trend reversals.

Last edited:
out of your list of stocks, what are your top 3 highest conviction tickers?
Hmm. That's actually tougher for me to answer than it seems because most stocks that I feel elated with their performance and super convicted about are probably near the end of their run and I get stopped out and rotate to something else. I think the tech stocks stand to do well this year. I think NVDA and SMCI have additional room to run. I'm hoping DELL does well for me which I just bought. NVDA I've held for awhile but SMCI has been super volatile. I got stopped out at 1028 a few weeks ago, missed a pull back entry and it actually pulled back quite a bit and I got alerted other day and re-entered around 873. I'm reasonably confident it will run back up near it's all time high over the next few weeks around 1200 (despite the recent public offering) and I actually have an alert set for when it hits 1150 because I will probably sell at that point. NVDA is just a beast and has a strong economic moat. That stock is not going anywhere. Tech has been strong this year with YTD perf around 9% but honestly....communications, finance, industrials, energy are all roaring too and starting to outperform tech.

In general, I like to pick stocks that are outperforming their peers within active sectors and undervalued compared to their sector (PE, etc..) with good technicals. Most of the time, I get really surprised. MOD/VST/HCI/CLS/STRL , etc.. have been some of my biggest winners and at the time I think all of them were just random stocks coming up on my screener list that I had low confidence would be long term holds but they met all my requirements and ended up really surprising me. VST and CLS for instance have been ridiculous beasts. I'm super attached to VIST in the energy sector. I just really love that stock, the company, the leadership, financials, the performance. I've held it off and on since 2022 and it will probably continue to be a long term hold for me. It's very overbought though atm and probably due for a pull back. In fact, am raising my stop on that one in case it pulls back aggressively. It can be temperamental when it gets overextended.

Anyway, I know that's a long winded non answer to your question but that's the best I've got as I just woke up.

I’m getting tempted to sell a $3 may put on SOUN. 5 percent return, cash covered, without leverage, in 2 months.

Going to learn more about the hype of this company. I’m assuming hyped up because AI in general is hyped up and nvda owning a stake.
Never heard of it. Where did you read about it? Crazy volatility on that chart which would spook someone like me but you like that kind of stuff with your options arcana.

You'd probably love something like GCT with its historic up to 42% intraday volatility. I was having a private conversation with an investor on SA and expounding on why I'd never trade something that volatile and then ended up taking a position. It ran up 20% the next day and I reached out to apologize to him and let him know how glad I was I had taken a position. We patted each other on the back for our great stock picking abilities and then it sank 32% over the next 2 days and gave me a small heart attack before I got stopped out for a loss, lol.

Last edited:
Never heard of it. Where did you read about it? Crazy volatility on that chart which would spook someone like me but you like that kind of stuff with your options arcana.

You'd probably love something like GCT with its historic up to 42% intraday volatility. I was having a private conversation with an investor on SA and expounding on why I'd never trade something that volatile and then ended up taking a position. It ran up 20% the next day and I reached out to apologize to him and let him know how glad I was I had taken a position. We patted each other on the back for our great stock picking abilities and then it sank 32% over the next 2 days and gave me a small heart attack before I got stopped out for a loss, lol.

Soun just consistently been showing up on my etrade scanners with very high 52 week volatility and a very high call to put ratio - i don’t know much about them, but they are implementing chat gpt and AI language models into real world businesses. I think that’s what they do?

But man…..GCT!!!!! That is definitely an incredible play there. Profitable, growing, smashed earnings - going through consolidation after a massive run up. High high high volatility. 11 percent cash on cash return for may position at $17.5 strike. Naked put needs about 50 percent of the cash needed for a cash covered position. 35 percent downside protection.

I like it. Selling puts on it on Monday. Starter position to begin - maybe 10 contracts.

Soun just consistently been showing up on my etrade scanners with very high 52 week volatility and a very high call to put ratio - i don’t know much about them, but they are implementing chat gpt and AI language models into real world businesses. I think that’s what they do?

But man…..GCT!!!!! That is definitely an incredible play there. Profitable, growing, smashed earnings - going through consolidation after a massive run up. High high high volatility. 11 percent cash on cash return for may position at $17.5 strike. Naked put needs about 50 percent of the cash needed for a cash covered position. 35 percent downside protection.

I like it. Selling puts on it on Monday. Starter position to begin - maybe 10 contracts.

Nice. Yeah, Steven Cress wrote about it awhile back and I've been following but it's just not a stock that's easy for me to trade. Quant score of 4.9 which doesn't get much better than that. You'd probably benefit from a custom SA screener where you applied some of the risk metrics such as 24M/60M Beta and Z scores, etc.. and restricted it to stocks rated as "strong buy" in the database, etc.. Might give you more potentials.

Nice. Yeah, Steven Cress wrote about it awhile back and I've been following but it's just not a stock that's easy for me to trade. Quant score of 4.9 which doesn't get much better than that. You'd probably benefit from a custom SA screener where you applied some of the risk metrics such as 24M/60M Beta and Z scores, etc.. and restricted it to stocks rated as "strong buy" in the database, etc.. Might give you more potentials.

I should renew my SA subscription - i keep waiting on them to offer a better deal than the $250/yr.

I just created an account on gigacloud. Went through their market place - i mean it’s basically alibaba/dhgate/temu/aliexpress equivalent but based in hongkong with a US office but sellers still largely from Asia. The website is less spammy than alibaba basically. Being a market place is a good place to be. Very interesting. The revenue growth is impressive, very impressive that they are profitable this early in the game despite tremendous growth. Might end up doing 50-100 contracts.

Yeah I’m in. The volatility itself makes it so attractive as a put seller. This sort of volatility is seen in failing companies with negative cash flows and not a profitable growth company.

I should renew my SA subscription - i keep waiting on them to offer a better deal than the $250/yr.

I just created an account on gigacloud. Went through their market place - i mean it’s basically alibaba/dhgate/temu/aliexpress equivalent but based in hongkong with a US office but sellers still largely from Asia. The website is less spammy than alibaba basically. Being a market place is a good place to be. Very interesting. The revenue growth is impressive, very impressive that they are profitable this early in the game despite tremendous growth. Might end up doing 50-100 contracts.

Yeah I’m in. The volatility itself makes it so attractive as a put seller. This sort of volatility is seen in failing companies with negative cash flows and not a profitable growth company.
I may re-enter on Monday depending on price. I barely got stopped out and on further analysis I think I should have placed it slightly lower. Michael Wiggins De Oliveira wrote a good article on it earlier this month. He gave a price target of $50 by 2025 summer. Morningstar Fair Value Estimate = $39. Currently trading at $26 P/E 30% less than sector median. Clean balance sheet, good recent acquisitions. Fantastic growth and performance so far. Other than the gigantic daily candle volatility, the chart looks extremely bullish. Great recent pullback from all time highs to 0.5 fib level and showing healthy consolidation. I didn't even think to create an account and check out the product.

I was looking to rotate out of TMUS so this might do nicely. TMUS is the slug in my portfolio.

I may re-enter on Monday depending on price. I barely got stopped out and on further analysis I think I should have placed it slightly lower. Michael Wiggins De Oliveira wrote a good article on it earlier this month. He gave a price target of $50 by 2025 summer. Morningstar Fair Value Estimate = $39. Currently trading at $26 P/E 30% less than sector median. Clean balance sheet, good recent acquisitions. Fantastic growth and performance so far. Other than the gigantic daily candle volatility, the chart looks extremely bullish. Great recent pullback from all time highs to 0.5 fib level and showing healthy consolidation. I didn't even think to create an account and check out the product.

I was looking to rotate out of TMUS so this might do nicely. TMUS is the slug in my portfolio.

65 put contracts for gct sold for May $17.5 strike. Received $6054 in premium while using only 50k of buying power.

Good risk reward profile i think.

F*************ck.

I need to suck it up and start investing in airbnb properties.

just realized i probably owe another 75k in federal taxes. So far I’ve paid $155k in federal taxes for 2023.

I’m hoping I’m wrong.

I need airbnbs.

One man gang!

The good thing is that the bid ask spread slippage worked in my benefit somehow. Usually it never does.

One of my orders filled for $118 per contract - my limit was 85 per contract. In fact, $118 was even higher than the ask price of $100. That was instant equity essentially. Could have closed those 2 seconds later for a 15 percent gain 😂

I don’t know how etrade pulled that off.

Attachments

• 52B34256-1CBC-41A3-B2E7-51B97F742087.png
    52B34256-1CBC-41A3-B2E7-51B97F742087.png
    147 KB · Views: 17