pedo 2020 chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rupkaur

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just applied for pediatric residency; but not taking ADAT. I have been out of school from last 7 yrs; so with full time job at pediatric office and 2 kids at home, it's hard to get time to study for ADAT. Do you guys think I have a chance for pediatric?
4 years of working in pediatric office
GPA- 3.3
research experience was only when I was in dental school in 2012
just recently did 1 week externship at pediatric residency program
If anyone else were in same boat and got selected, then sharing that will be great to encourage me.
Since last day to take ADAT is Aug 31st, I don't think i can study for part 1 and part 2 boards again. But if there is any shortcut like studying topics that comes in ADAT knockout and I will be fine, then I can do that. But if I score very bad, then that will make my application even worse. Please suggest me whether I have chance of going into Peds without ADAT and if not, then how can I improve my chances.
I appreciate your valuable responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,
I just applied for pediatric residency; but not taking ADAT. I have been out of school from last 7 yrs; so with full time job at pediatric office and 2 kids at home, it's hard to get time to study for ADAT. Do you guys think I have a chance for pediatric?
GPA- 3.3
If anyone else were in same boat and got selected, then sharing that will be great to encourage me.
Since last day to take ADAT is Aug 31st, I don't think i can study for part 1 and part 2 boards again. But if there is any shortcut like studying topics that comes in ADAT knockout and I will be fine, then I can do that. But if I score very bad, then that will make my application even worse. Please suggest me whether I have chance of going into Peds without ADAT and if not, then how can I improve my chances.
How many programs even have the ADAT as an application requirement? Very few. The only benefit you’d get is that an awesome score might slightly offset a not so awesome GPA/class rank.

Big Hoss

Hi Rupkaur,

I totally agree with Big Hoss insights. According to ADA website (please check below link) there only very few Pedo programs REQUIRES ADAT. Yes strong ADAT score will surely make the profile stronger. But there are lot of schools which may like your overall profile as well.

ADAT Accepting Programs:

Below are few journals even though they are little outdated gives good insights:
1. http://www.jdentaled.org/content/jde/73/3/338.full.pdf
2. http://www.jdentaled.org/content/jde/78/3/473.full.pdf

When you get time do some research on PEDO (2012 to 2019) match results threads on this forum, there are lot of candidates got accepted with experiences. I am confident you will do awesome this cycle. Best wishes.

Also humble request, it will be awesome if all 2020 PEDO application related questions are in one official thread so it will be beneficial for other/future aspirants as well. Any questions related to 2020 applications please do your best to have it in below thread

Members don't see this ad :)
How many programs even have the ADAT as an application requirement? Very few. The only benefit you’d get is that an awesome score might slightly offset a not so awesome GPA/class rank.

Big Hoss
Hi Big Hoss,
thanks a lot for your reply. If you won't mind, would you mind telling me if you applied earlier cycle too bcz I saw your posts from last year thread too.

Hi Big Hoss,
thanks a lot for your reply. If you won't mind, would you mind telling me if you applied earlier cycle too bcz I saw your posts from last year thread too.
I applied last cycle and am currently in a residency program. I took the ADAT, but I don’t think I met a single other person on the interview trail that did. So was it worth my time and money? No.

Big Hoss

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks a lot for your reply. Hope you are enjoying your pediatric residency program:)

Reactions: 1 user
A few of my friends and colleagues are pedo directors. It seems almost as much about personality as grades. It is after all, a great deal about patient/parent management.

Is this where we are starting the thread about Pediatric Dental Residency interviews for starting July 2020?
Anxiously awaiting and remaining hopeful.

Hey guys,
GPA- 3.3

Yo man! I'm pretty much in the same boat. I completed an AEGD 2015-2016 and recently decided to go back into pediatrics because I see quite a bit of kids in my private practice. And I have a 5 month old daughter. I did not take the ADAT nor did I apply to programs that required it. (not many require it). Best of luck!

Yo man! I'm pretty much in the same boat. I completed an AEGD 2015-2016 and recently decided to go back into pediatrics because I see quite a bit of kids in my private practice. And I have a 5 month old daughter. I did not take the ADAT nor did I apply to programs that required it. (not many require it). Best of luck!

If you search pedo 2020, thread comes in. I copy pasted link down; hope it works. Goodluck!!!