**Official 2021 Pedo PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Programs can reach out and tell applicants that they ranked them. This is from an email from match:
View attachment 325556

It doesn’t make any difference when you rank as long as you submit your rank list before the deadline.
Thank you 😊 I’m still thinking of how I’m going to rank the schools I interviewed with. Some schools I liked a lot but I feel like my interview was alright. So I don’t know if I should rank based on where I would like to go or where I think my interview was the strongest.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you I’m still thinking of how I’m going to rank the schools I interviewed with. Some schools I liked a lot but I feel like my interview was alright. So I don’t know if I should rank based on where I would like to go or where I think my interview was the strongest.

You always rank based on which program you liked the most, and never where you think your interview was strongest. Unless the PD at someone’s fav program hints that they don’t think they are a good fit for each other.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s kind of dead on here so I’m gonna share another funny story. Usually when I’m doing restorative on kids, I refer to the topical in many ways - mostly the innocuous of ways. However... when I sense I have a cool parent and a young kid, I may relate the topical to something that child may not know but the parent would. For example, I may say “This is cherry flavored jelly, so it’s kind of like if Ben Stein made a daiquiri.” Kids are confused. Cool parents love it. And making parents happy matters a lot to me lately lol. Well, I had a 7 year-old a while back who I said to “This is pineapple flavored. It’s like it going to Walmart to get a pina colada mixture. Have low expectations.” Parent was laughing at that. Until the kid said “I’m too young for that!” And the parent looked immediately concerned. Parent said “I have never ordered that drink before...” So I proceeded to do my restorative on my happy patient and... not sure how that day ended lol. Stay safe peeps 👍

Reactions: 11 users
For those who have done a lot of interviews, does anyone know any peds programs that have a strong emphasis on seeing special needs pts? I'm trying to prepare for next years application cycle. I don't think i researched enough programs.

this is a passion of mine and i want to make sure I see a good mix of regular and special needs pediatric pts in peds residency :)

For those who have done a lot of interviews, does anyone know any peds programs that have a strong emphasis on seeing special needs pts? I'm trying to prepare for next years application cycle. I don't think i researched enough programs.

this is a passion of mine and i want to make sure I see a good mix of regular and special needs pediatric pts in peds residency :)
I’m not sure if there are any that concentrate more on special needs, but it’s still part of all programs

I’ve heard that UNC, Colorado, DC Children’s, Penn, UW, NYU all have a lot of exposure to special needs. NYU Langone programs treat a lot of ASA I / II kids (less special needs) except San Diego from what I’ve heard. All of them have to have that special needs component but there are definitely programs that emphasize it more than others

UAB, Children’s National Hospital, Interfaith Hospital, Boston University, University of Rochester to name a few

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Should I rank a program where I didn't interview? There are a couple of programs where I didn't get invites, which I like even more than some that I got interviews from. Does it affect me negatively to rank them higher (even if they didn't interview me) than the other programs I DID get interviewed by... since that way I would be ranking it in order of my true preference..Is there any chance that some programs may accept you without interviewing you??

Should I rank a program where I didn't interview? There are a couple of programs where I didn't get invites, which I like even more than some that I got interviews from. Does it affect me negatively to rank them higher (even if they didn't interview me) than the other programs I DID get interviewed by... since that way I would be ranking it in order of my true preference..Is there any chance that some programs may accept you without interviewing you??
You won't get ranked at the programs that you didn't interview at. So I don't think one should rank them, please correct me if I'm wrong

You won't get ranked at the programs that you didn't interview at. So I don't think one should rank them, please correct me if I'm wrong
yeah, I'm not 100% positive, but I agree with teefdocta. Unfortunately, I don't think a program would rank a candidate who they didn't interview. It's a risky move on both sides because both parties don't really know if there is a mutual fit from what's solely on paper.

Besides ranking the programs on match and getting them certified, is there anything else we need to do? Sorry for blowing up the forum y'all 😅!

Besides ranking the programs on match and getting them certified, is there anything else we need to do? Sorry for blowing up the forum y'all 😅!
that's all, apart from waiting patiently! Good luck to you and everyone! 16 days left!!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,
What do you think about sending a card to PD of my #1 program?
Dr. Darwin (YouTube channel) mentioned that in one of his videos 🤓

Hey guys,
Dr. Darwin (YouTube channel) mentioned that in one of his videos

Wouldn’t hurt. But most schools would have already submitted their rank list by now.

Hey guys,
Dr. Darwin (YouTube channel) mentioned that in one of his videos 🤓
Nobody is going to pick or not pick you based on a card. I doubt it makes any difference but that's just me.

Has anyone heard from Temple since their interview? I thought I heard them say they will email people on their rank list

Nobody is going to pick or not pick you based on a card. I doubt it makes any difference but that's just me.

Dr. Darwin is a former program director for the GPR at BronxCare and he isn’t the first to recommend that. He even recommended reaching out as the match opened, rather than closed, to show intent. And when I saw my GPR application packet (by chance), the card I wrote was paperclipped to it. I’ll never know what impact it made since I got into my top choice but that was interesting to see. It probably helps but only if you do it early enough on and not at this point in the cycle

Reactions: 4 users
At this point time is a factor. Lists are due this Friday so whatever you do to reach out to directors, keep that In mind.

I agree it’s likely that lists have already been submitted, but if you want to shoot your #1 choice an email, go for it. If nothing else you’ll feel sure you did everything you could.

Reactions: 2 users
I know everyone’s hoping for the best, but would be interested to hear everyone’s back up plans if match and postmatch don’t go their way? GPR? Reapply? I’m out of school and been working so would most likely continue working at a Peds practice, though been toying with the idea of going back for a GPR.. lol does anyone get accepted into a GPR after going out in the workforce 😂

I know everyone’s hoping for the best, but would be interested to hear everyone’s back up plans if match and postmatch don’t go their way? GPR? Reapply? I’m out of school and been working so would most likely continue working at a Peds practice, though been toying with the idea of going back for a GPR.. lol does anyone get accepted into a GPR after going out in the workforce 😂

I'm going in with the assumption that I won't match or post-match so I started applying to jobs last week (been partially-furloughed at my current job since May). That way, an interview can be set up and it should (hopefully) coincide around the time of Match day. Can either say "Sorry, I can't take the job (because I matched)" or "Sure, I'll take it!" (or even worse "Man, I didn't match or get the job" haha).

I also don't plan on applying again next year, since my app can't really get much better than it is now, and I'm only ranking one place, so the odds aren't in my favor. Except maybe the fact that this place is in the Bronx and I'm hoping strong applicants don't wanna live up there haha

I will likely work for another year and then reapply. (Hopefully this is entirely hypothetical lol)

In the event of not matching would I receive an email from MATCH as well or only if I were to match?

Ya know... we started 2020 almost in world war 3 and with an impeachment. We almost started this year with a civil war and there’s new talk of impeachment. Given that I didn’t apply to peds last year (so I didn’t match), I’m REALLLLLLLLY hoping my January 19th this year is not the same as last year lol

Hello Guys!
Has any body received an email from Rutgers about their rank number or was it just me. I am curious!
They straight up told you your rank number?? Did they say how many people they ranked o_0 Didn't interview with them but I'm so intrigued..

They straight up told you your rank number?? Did they say how many people they ranked o_0 Didn't interview with them but I'm so intrigued..
Sorry if my post was confusing. Their email seemed pretty generic and it was a reminder of the program number in match. I hope that is clear. I was just wondering if they sent that to all the people that interviewed with them.

Did any school send out any signs that they maybe ranking you?
I got an email from a program basically asking if I had accepted any offers elsewhere and to let them know if so. I wasn't sure what to make of the email, but I assumed it was a gentle way of saying they're interested in ranking me? I'm not sure.

Did any school send out any signs that they maybe ranking you?
I'm not sure if this is a sign but a school emailed me that my NBDE Part 2 scores were not yet uploaded despite it saying I had not taken it yet. They asked for me to upload the results to PASS. Any opinions or am I reading too much into this? lol :lol:

The rising second years of one place called me and wanted me to get back to them by the end of the day if I had any intention of ranking them and if I was going to rank them #1, then to come by the clinic next week so that I could sign a letter of intent, but I’d have to bring a printout of my certification showing my rank list. They said this would help get the process going sooner rather than waiting until after the 3-day weekend. I think it’s also worth noting that none of this is true and I was known as a prankster in dental school. Good luck everyone!

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
The rising second years of one place called me and wanted me to get back to them by the end of the day if I had any intention of ranking them and if I was going to rank them #1, then to come by the clinic next week so that I could sign a letter of intent, but I’d have to bring a printout of my certification showing my rank list. They said this would help get the process going sooner rather than waiting until after the 3-day weekend. I think it’s also worth noting that none of this is true and I was known as a prankster in dental school. Good luck everyone!

Lol.. Am pretty sure everyone who read this had their eyes widen until they read the last bit.

Reactions: 3 users
This may be a silly question to ask at this point, but does anyone know if there are any restrictions regarding attending a program outside of your current state? Like, requirements to get a license or resident's permit that not everyone is eligible for?

This may be a silly question to ask at this point, but does anyone know if there are any restrictions regarding attending a program outside of your current state? Like, requirements to get a license or resident's permit that not everyone is eligible for?

That varies by state. Some states require a full dental license, others require only a "limited" or "residency" license, and some require no license at all. The NYU Langone site has a nice summary table that lists the licensure requirements for all states where they have a program.

So if anyone is ranking BronxCare highly, I promise you that (in the insane chance I do match), I will not be a prankster co-resident. Hit me up if you match there though. You’ll either get a “congrats homie! Cant wait to meet!” or “congrats homie! Good luck!” haha. Win win!

Lol.. Am pretty sure everyone who read this had their eyes widen until they read the last bit.

That’s my goal. I pull my talents from the likes of Anthony Jeselnik. Btw, CharlieAF, I have said your name as “Charlie af” (Charlie as f*ck) and as “Charlie Air Force.” Please say what the af stands for. Yea, I know “Charlie” is reading this.

• Haha
So if anyone is ranking BronxCare highly, I promise you that (in the insane chance I do match), I will not be a prankster co-resident. Hit me up if you match there though. You’ll either get a “congrats homie! Cant wait to meet!” or “congrats homie! Good luck!” haha. Win win!
Wgat did u like about bronxcare?