Post your "Chance Me" threads here

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I totally understand.. it's significant in terms of percentile, of course. Does Penn have application minimums? I'll still be able to get my app in, right?
Not that I'm aware of! You're set.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: w/o +/- BCP: 3.53, Science 3.58, Non-Science 4.0 Total 3.72 // with +/- BCP: 3.36, Science 3.44, Non-Science 3.83, Total 3.57
DAT:
RC 22 BIO 19 CHEM 20 TS 20 AA 20 PAT 16 Chalk Carving 20
Letter: 1 from Dentist 2 from Bio profs 1 from Psychology prof
Shadowing: 120 hours (90 from a non-profit dental clinic)
Volunteering: 750 hours
Research: 175 hours (research in Psychology)
Residency: Canadian
Work:-
1840 hours - worked every summer since grade 9
EC: Co-Chair at Dental Awareness Society, and organized many community fundraisers

I am mostly worried about my PAT score and the fact that I am not a US resident so I want to make sure I'm applying to the right schools that are International-friendly

School list:

USC, UCONN, UK, UL, UNE, UDM, NYU, BUF, CASE, OKL, TEMP, VCU - any others I should add?

I'm pretty sure you can only mention work stuff in college and afterwards... Not high school.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted some feedback because many of the schools I applied to are very competitive. I'm getting scared that I applied to too many state schools. But I also do not want to apply to super expensive private schools and then get stuck paying the tuition if those are my only acceptances. An additional opinion would be really appreciated!!

overall GPA: 3.80, sGPA:3.81
DAT: 23AA, 22TS, 24RC, 20PAT, nothing under 20
Shadowing: ~150 hrs, dental lab internship
Volunteering: 500ish from a Free Clinic, being a mentor, Red Cross,
Research: 1.5 years and published in a paper (Vascular Physiology)
EC's: Wood carving, piano (w/awards), school television production
Work: Orgo/Bio tutor, College Tour Guide, Lab Tech
Residency: VA

Schools:

VCU
UMichigan
UNC
UCLA
UCSF
Columbia
UMaryland
Pitt
UMKC

Keep it if you want but the 18 AA is on the very bottom of their DAT range. Just be weary of that. As trivial as it may seem, there is a difference between a 19 AA and an 18 AA to admissions officers.

I can vouch for this because when I had an 18AA, they told me I needed a 19AA to get an acceptance. I retook and got a 19AA afterwards and still didn't get in but that's another story for another day. I believe you can still get something with an 18AA if you apply liberally. Statistically, all the people getting 22+ on here are not the 99%ers. 19-20AA is the average with 19AA being the average for the past several years and numbers rising due great new programs out there like DAT Bootcamp and such.

overall GPA: 3.27 , sGPA:3.17 NonSci: 3.43 BCP:3.22
DAT: 22AA, 23TS, 24RC, 22 PAT
Shadowing: ~400
Volunteering: ~100
Research: none
Residency: CA

Schools:
Loma Linda
UOP
UCSF
USC
Western U
LECOM
Boston U
Tufts
NYU
Meharry

Any other schools I should add?

oGPA: 3.70 sGPA:3.57
DAT: 21AA/22PA/21TS/22RC
Shadowing: ~110 hrs with two different general dentists
Volunteering: ~12o as an unpaid chem/calc tutor
Work: Lifeguard in the summers and I worked in an ice cream shop during the school year
Residency: IA

School list:
Creighton
Iowa
UNMC

Would it be worth it to add more schools and which ones? I figured that I would have the best chance at those three, but I know I don’t have the most competitive application because my shadowing/work/volunteer experiences aren’t stellar. I should also mention that I had a semester where I needed a surgery during finals week, so obviously that had quite the negative impact on my GPA. I'm also still waiting on a LOR from my ochem professor because he has been taking the world's longest vacation. He should submit in the next few weeks, but this shouldn't be too late, right?

Work: Lifeguard in the summers and I worked in an ice cream shop during the school year

School list:
Creighton
Iowa
UNMC

Would it be worth it to add more schools and which ones? I figured that I would have the best chance at those three, but I know I don’t have the most competitive application because my shadowing/work/volunteer experiences aren’t stellar. I should also mention that I had a semester where I needed a surgery during finals week, so obviously that had quite the negative impact on my GPA. I'm also still waiting on a LOR from my ochem professor because he has been taking the world's longest vacation. He should submit in the next few weeks, but this shouldn't be too late, right?
I don't have specific recommendations but it would be very wise to add at least 3-4 more schools.

Just so everyone knows, Midwestern-AZ will not accept anyone with a GPA under 3.0. I have a DAT of 23AA/24TS and was rejected already because my sGPA is 2.99. Received an email this morning that stated that I did not "meet the cutoff". I checked their website prior to applying and this info was not on there. They must have recently added this. In case anyone cares, I have a friend who graduated from MWU-AZ this year and he says that their new dean really cares about very high DAT and GPA, even though they list out they will take 3.0's and sub-par DAT of 18.

Yeah same thing happened to me. I wish I would've known earlier to save that $100 to another school. I got rejected even before my DAT scores

oGPA: 2.79 sGPA: 2.69
uGPA: 2.62; uBCP: 2.54
SMP; gGPA: 3.65 (upward 4.0 trend); cBCP: 2.80
DAT: 20AA/19PA/21TS/22RC
Shadowing: ~450 hrs with three different general dentists, one pediatric
Volunteering: ~ 800hrs working with a small minority religious group (over a span of 6 years)
Work: dental assistant
Residency: FL

School list:
MWU-AZ
LECOM-FL
NSU
UF
MWU-IL
IND
TUFTS
BU
UNE
UDM
UMKC

PAT: 19
QR: 17
RC: 22
BIO: 20
GC: 22
OC:21
TS: 21
AA: 20

Your uGPA and BCP will hold you back and disqualify you from some of those schools. I would apply as early as possible and include Touro since it is unaccredited and has a better chance of giving you an opportunity.

Members don't see this ad :)

School list:
Creighton
Iowa
UNMC

Define next few weeks. August?

School list:
Creighton
Iowa
UNMC

I'd add Marquette and MN.

Your uGPA and BCP will hold you back and disqualify you from some of those schools. I would apply as early as possible and include Touro since it is unaccredited and has a better chance of giving you an opportunity.

Yeah i applied and got first batch. fingers crossed! at this point it doesnt matter how many sciences courses i take unfortunately. i've taken too many.
thanks for the feedback.

Hello! Wondering what you think about my chances at Penn and tough oos schools such as
OHSU and UCSF?? Would appreciate your thoughts :) thanks!!

GPA: BCP: 3.78 (3.83 w/o), cGPA: 3.79 (3.87 w/o), sGPA: 3.79 (3.85 w/o)
DAT: AA-24, TS-24, PA-21, QR-24, RC-23, BIO-27, GC-24, OC-22
ECs:
125 hours shadowing
-including 3-week internship in Thailand
-general, perio, oral surgeon, endo

200 volunteer hours in college
-mentoring, homeless shelter, environmental stuff abroad

800 hours biochem research

4 restaurant jobs
-1750 hours
-serving/bartending

Customer Service Representative
-2 years during high school

Nannying
-120 hours

14 years of piano
-a few awards in high school

Residency: WI, did undergrad at Middlebury College
Schools Applied To: Tufts, Columbia, Penn, Marquette, UoP, UCSF, OHSU

Holy ****, how do you guys rack up so many shadowing hours?

I'm a newbie nontrad predental btw. But wow, do you guys (anyone with 100-200+ hours) typically follow a few dentists over a long period of time or is it a lot of dentists for short periods of time? The latter seems like it would be difficult to do...

And what do you do during the shadowing? I'd hope you do something other than just watch them? I love video games but even I'd get tired of watching someone play it after 20 hours.

GPA: 3.64 overall, 3.58 sGPA, 3.85 BCP GPA
DAT: 28 AA, 23 PAT
ECs: 110 hours volunteering total from 2 different places, decided not to put anything else down cause I thought it would look like fluff >_<
Shadowing: 85 hours
Work: ~450 hours from 2 different food service jobs, 150 from an internship and 300 from being a Comp Sci TA
Research: 1 summer of volunteer research
Residency: OH

School list:
Boston
Case
Columbia
OSU
Buffalo
UCLA (figured it was worth a shot)
UCSF
UConn
UMich
UPenn
Pitt

I already sent out my app, but should I add more schools? I was considering adding Indiana and UNLV as OOS-friendly public schools that give instate tuition after 1 year, since most of my list is competitive private/expensive schools. I know this looks like a brag post but I'm starting to get the sense that my DAT isn't as advantageous as I thought it would be due to diminishing returns on the upper end of the scale, and my ECs are very bland. Also, will a decent amount of work experience make up for lack of involvement in clubs and such?

Relax. your GPA and that AA is enough to interest people.

Reactions: 1 user
Holy ****, how do you guys rack up so many shadowing hours?

I'm a newbie nontrad predental btw. But wow, do you guys (anyone with 100-200+ hours) typically follow a few dentists over a long period of time or is it a lot of dentists for short periods of time? The latter seems like it would be difficult to do...

And what do you do during the shadowing? I'd hope you do something other than just watch them? I love video games but even I'd get tired of watching someone play it after 20 hours.

100 hours is ~2 weeks worth of full-time shadowing. I've done it where I shadow full time and 3-4 hours every other day at dentists. It's pretty easy to get 100-200 hours if you set yourself up to shadow 1 dentist every summer/winter break! I imagine it could get boring for some, but fortunately, all my dentists were kind and hilarious. Plus, the pressure to get a good LOR sort of makes you interested in everything they do lol

GPA: 3.68 overall, 3.46s, 3.35 BCP, 3.98 ns

DAT: 19AA, 18 PAT, 19 TS, 24 RC

EC: 4,000 hours of lab work, some research, TA for a class, lab assistant for 3 years, clinical assistant in dental clinic for a year, volunteering, 4 clubs, fraternity where I held 3 positions, mentoring, led a week long service trip.

Shadowing: 110 hours

Work: 4,000ish hours as lab assistant, clinical assistant, clerical assistant, and a disabled assistant.

Research: one semester of physics research

Residency: OH

Schools: Ohio State, Case Western, Michigan, Detroit Mercy, Indiana, Midwestern-IL (#1 school), UNC, Pitt.

Submitted June 2nd. Verified shortly after and mailed out June 24th. Secondaries completed for all schools June 26th.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Need to know what I should cut or add :)

GPA: 3.94 oGPA, 3.87 sGPA
DAT: 22 AA 23 TS (QR 18...)
Shadowing: 85
Volunteering: Probably ~100
Research: None
Work: TA
Residency: TX
Other: Non trad with CC too

School list:

All 3 Texas
Case
Ceighton
Georgia
UN
U Oklahome (might take off)
UT
VCU
Harvard (Ha ha reeeeacchhh but still)
I would cut Harvard since you don't have any research and GRU (or is it DCG now?) since you aren't from GA. You have a great shot at TX schools based on GPA/DAT! No reason to waste your money.

I would cut Harvard since you don't have any research and GRU (or is it DCG now?) since you aren't from GA. You have a great shot at TX schools based on GPA/DAT! No reason to waste your money.
Hes not a instate resident tho?

She.

But yeah in state Texas :cool: Pretty excited to be!

Sorry I mixed you up with another post, also I think your set! Your gpa is wonderful and so is your dat score your golden mam!

So this is my situation. I am a pretty bad test taker and it affected my first year of college the most. I am very interested in dental school but the reality is that my GPA is not amazing and this is really making me wonder if I should bother spending $3000 dollars just applying.

I am just at the end of my second year and am planning to apply in the Summer of 2018. I have an overall GPA right now of 3.00/4.33 and a science GPA of 3.1 with a BCP GPA of 3.25. I have not taken the DAT yet but if i decide to apply I am planning to take it next semester. I am decent at the sciences, its just that I really am horrible at exams and I don't really know how else I can prove my academic ability. I have done a lot of research in my undergrad in reputable companies and in an academic setting and I have over 400 hours of teaching and leadership experience.

If i repeat a few courses and take my upper division I think I can raise my overall to a 3.3 and my science and BCP GPA to around a 3.35-3.4 by June 1st, but its barely making the cut for decent schools in this field. I could update my transcript with more grades in November. I am a Chemistry major.

I need some honest advise if this stressful process has any chance whatsoever of paying off considering I'll be applying as a Canadian.

I like NYU, USC, BU, pitt, UCSF, uconn, university of Minnesota...

So this is my situation. I am a pretty bad test taker and it affected my first year of college the most. I am very interested in dental school but the reality is that my GPA is not amazing and this is really making me wonder if I should bother spending $3000 dollars just applying.

I am just at the end of my second year and am planning to apply in the Summer of 2018. I have an overall GPA right now of 3.00/4.33 and a science GPA of 3.1 with a BCP GPA of 3.25. I have not taken the DAT yet but if i decide to apply I am planning to take it next semester. I am decent at the sciences, its just that I really am horrible at exams and I don't really know how else I can prove my academic ability. I have done a lot of research in my undergrad in reputable companies and in an academic setting and I have over 400 hours of teaching and leadership experience.

If i repeat a few courses and take my upper division I think I can raise my overall to a 3.3 and my science and BCP GPA to around a 3.35-3.4 by June 1st, but its barely making the cut for decent schools in this field. I could update my transcript with more grades in November. I am a Chemistry major.

I need some honest advise if this stressful process has any chance whatsoever of paying off considering I'll be applying as a Canadian.

Just from a standpoint of your plan it seems solid dont know about the potential school choices but work hard for a good dat score and raise that gpa!

Just from a standpoint of your plan it seems solid dont know about the potential school choices but work hard for a good dat score and raise that gpa!
any advise on good schools that might be within reach?

any advise on good schools that might be within reach?
Im pretty sure people on here would give better adivce as they have been through the process! Just have to wait

Does anyone know if ucsf supplemental is given to everyone that applies or only those that they are interested in?
Given to everyone who meets the minimum requirements. I forget exactly what their minimum requirements are, but it's on their website above/below their prerequisite chart I believe.

If you have a 23AA+ and/or 3.7+ gpa, you really need to stop stressing... Get off this site and go enjoy life.

Reactions: 5 users

BU/Tufts/UNE/Touro/NOVA/NYU/Buffalo are schools within your reach, contingent on you scoring well enough on the DAT (I would aim 20 AA/section+). Realistically, you have a small chance of receiving an interview at a Cal state school with your current stats., also considering your nationality (Cal schools usually accept 80-85% in-state).

If you can't manage to bring your GPA up, considering enrolling in a 1-2 year Masters program to improve your respective GPAs.

Don't repeat courses unless you truly believe you can significantly improve your score (i.e. C->A). Otherwise, just perform better in upper-level courses that cover more in-depth topics of information you learned in intro. courses. I personally feel this is a better indicator of an individual's growth in scientific understanding.

Keep up your other interests/activities, do very well on the DAT and apply when you feel your app. is the strongest. *taking time off is NEVER a negative (unless if you decide to travel the world for a year)!

What are my odds with a 3.18 cGPA / 3.1 sGPA / 3.15 BCP. Over the course of my last 2 years I have maintained an average of 3.8, just had a rocky start due to some family issues.
My DAT scores are 22AA/ 21TS/ 25RC
500 shadow hours, across 3 specialties
600 research hours
100 volunteer hours

What are my odds with a 3.18 cGPA / 3.1 sGPA / 3.15 BCP. Over the course of my last 2 years I have maintained an average of 3.8, just had a rocky start due to some family issues.
My DAT scores are 22AA/ 21TS/ 25RC
500 shadow hours, across 3 specialties
600 research hours
100 volunteer hours
That's a really strong upward trend and a great dat score! I think you'll net some interviews

sGPA: 3.46
oGPA: 3.55
AA: 22
TS: 23
RC: 24
PAT: 18 (yikes)
250 shadowing hours
100 volunteering hours
500 research hours (2 semesters total)
Tons of advising and leadership experience through school orgs

My DAT is solid, but I'm kinda worried about everything else.

Lake Erie College
Nova Southeastern
Midwestern (Illinois)
Louisville
Maryland
Tufts
Michigan
UNC
Case Western
Ohio State
UPenn
Pittsburgh
VCU

Last edited:
250 shadowing hours
100 volunteering hours

edit: oops forgot to add school list...

Lake Erie College
Nova Southeastern
Midwestern (Illinois)
Louisville
Maryland
Tufts
Michigan
UNC
Case Western
Ohio State
UPenn
Pittsburgh
VCU

Great DAT, but you should retake on the basis of the PAT. PAT and RC are a pretty big deal and I know the minimum entrance for PAT is 19-20. You're not far off and I'm sure you could do it if you retry. However, do you NEED to? I would say no. Especially on the basis your RC was good as well (with that AA I'm sure it was).

Great DAT, but you should retake on the basis of the PAT. PAT and RC are a pretty big deal and I know the minimum entrance for PAT is 19-20. You're not far off and I'm sure you could do it if you retry. However, do you NEED to? I would say no. Especially on the basis your RC was good as well (with that AA I'm sure it was).

My RC was a 24. My QR brought my AA down (got a 19 on QR).

Also where did you hear a 19-20 PAT is a minimum for entrance? That makes me nervous

250 shadowing hours
100 volunteering hours

edit: oops forgot to add school list...

Lake Erie College
Nova Southeastern
Midwestern (Illinois)
Louisville
Maryland
Tufts
Michigan
UNC
Case Western
Ohio State
UPenn
Pittsburgh
VCU
PAT is close to meaningless. I only got a 19 and didn't even have a 22 AA. Had no trouble with acceptances. Do not retake.

PAT is close to meaningless. I only got a 19 and didn't even have a 22 AA. Had no trouble with acceptances. Do not retake.

Really? I was told quite the opposite. I know each school varies. But I agree, I personally wouldn't retake either.

My RC was a 24. My QR brought my AA down (got a 19 on QR).

Also where did you hear a 19-20 PAT is a minimum for entrance? That makes me nervous

With that RC, I definitely wouldn't retake. Do not even worry about the PAT at this point lol.

With that RC, I definitely wouldn't retake. Do not even worry about the PAT at this point lol.

Haha okay. I updated my post to add RC in there.

Anyone know what my chances are for VCU if I'm in-state with my stats I posted above?

3 of my friends got multiple acceptances with a 17 PAT. Do not retake. 19-20 isn't the minimum. You have good stats.

You really need to either source where you find your information or simply don't state these things. There's no reason to scare or cause more anxiety on each other! We're all in this together :) a 18 PAT is good enough for almost all schools. I got that as well and have multiple interviews already!

Reactions: 1 users
RC: 24
250 shadowing hours
100 volunteering hours

Lake Erie College
Nova Southeastern
Midwestern (Illinois)
Louisville
Maryland
Tufts
Michigan
UNC
Case Western
Ohio State
UPenn
Pittsburgh
VCU
Don't retake.. it's a waste of time/effort/money.. If you don't get any interviews on the basis of your PAT then that school doesn't deserve to have you as a student.. You'll have 4 years of your life devoted to improving your hand-eye coordinator, manual dexterity and thus your overall perceptual ability.

Hey everyone, just another chance me, any thoughts or areas of weakness I should be concerned with?

I got sick after sophomore year and went down a rabbit hole where I switched to Computer Science from Neuroscience and almost failed out of college (twice!). Hated every minute of it, I don't even like computers. Switched back last semester and got a 3.6 and will hopefully get my first 4.0 next semester.

oGPA: 3.41
sGPA: 3.33
bcpGPA: 3.87

DAT: Coming soon

My ECs are:
- Professional Fraternity ~5 years. Held two positions; one for 0.5 years (Social Chair) and the other for 1.5 years (House Manager).
- ~2000 hours of research in a Human Genetics lab. Part time for one academic year, full time for two Summers, paid. Received a national research fellowship from a private foundation for one of the Summers.
- ~600 hours interning for a local biotech company developing a database to manage production.
- ~1200 hours IT technician for the University (where I work now, need that paper to pay rent)
- ~100 hours volunteering for a local student volunteer organization
- ~25 hours at a local homeless shelter (going to get back on this, really enjoyed it)
- ~25 hours shadowing
You're fine aside from the shadowing. Try to get more in.

Hey guys, I'm a first time applicant to American dental schools (I'm Canadian). If anyone has experience in applying for American schools can you please give me an idea of what my chances are? Thanks.

GPA: 3.92 oGPA (3.9 w/o +/-). 3.96 sGPA. 3.75 nsGPA (3.5 w/0 +/-)
DAT: 22AA, 22TS, 22RC, 24PAT, 11 Carving (I know that's bad but I've been told that most American shools don't care about carving). For those of you that didn't know, the Canadian DAT doesn't have QR or OChem.
Shadowing: 60 hrs (Plan on doing more)
Volunteering: ~150 hrs
Research: One summer doing analytical chem research
Work: Usher, Facilities worker, Construction, Summer Research Assistant
Residency: AB

Schools I applied to:
-Boston
-Buffalo
-Case
-Maryland
-NYU
-Penn
-Pittsburgh
-Temple

I applied within a week of the AADSAS opening date.

Thanks guys! and good luck.