RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my hubby went home for the day (and I don't have a ride right now at the parent's house)

Is the teleportation machine ready? I can teleport over now.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I might ditch and use my iPad with notability.

But I like the organization...

And this wouldn't be an issue if the profs posted their **** before class so I could use the fancy printer I saved my monies for!

Reactions: 1 user
I just found out that the clinic I worked for briefly in September is looking for a new practice manager. I suppose this explains why three weeks after my last day I still haven't received my final paycheck. I wonder how long ago the manager quit... or was fired. I really don't want to call about it, but I am owed that money so, ****.

(I asked the manager before I left to mail my final check and I don't have much faith in the clinic's record keeping so if someone else has had to assume the payroll duties, I'm probably never getting my money.)

My boyfriend and have been talking about getting a dog for a while now. We went to the shelter last weekend and found one we liked and decided to adopt her. He second guessed it all that day and was acting all weird when we went to pick her up. She has been home for us for not quite a week and he says that he is unhappy with our choice.

I know it is going to take some time for her to come out of her shell and its a learning curve for all of us. I am frustrated with him because he gets frustrated with her. She just has a low activity level and does not come when she is called. She loved walks and being outside, we unfortunately do not have a fenced in yard. She is not a bad dog, I am starting to bond with her but he is not :(

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Time for a new one. And I'm not talking about the dog.

I think I did really poorly on my ECC exam :( I am so bummed. This is the one class I really need to do well in.

Nope. Just need to pass. You can do it! :)
I keep hearing mixed things. I want to do a private practice internship so am not really sure how much grades weigh into that whole thing (would rather do PP than academic). I am hearing LOR >>> grades but I'm still nervous :( I just think it would look really bad if I want to go into ER and end up with a C in ECC :(

I keep hearing mixed things. I want to do a private practice internship so am not really sure how much grades weigh into that whole thing (would rather do PP than academic). I am hearing LOR >>> grades but I'm still nervous :( I just think it would look really bad if I want to go into ER and end up with a C in ECC :(
I'm sure the grade in the rotation will count for a lot more than the grade in a lecture.

You know what sucks? Having our first, huge medicine test the afternoon after surgery. You know what sucks more? Having a SECOND huge medicine test the afternoon after surgery. My surgery group got screwed. I'm so glad to be done, but hope I didn't just absolutely bomb that exam.

Got that first year fear going and can't seem to get rid of it. First set of exams tell me I need to study a different way but I don't know what that might be. Anatomy was the one exam that I did okay on.

Anyone have any study tips, pretty please?!

Got that first year fear going and can't seem to get rid of it. First set of exams tell me I need to study a different way but I don't know what that might be. Anatomy was the one exam that I did okay on.

What are your study habits now? Are you missing big picture, minutia, have issues time-efficiency wise? If you narrow it down it could be easier to see what you should do from there.

I can share what works for me.. but unfortunately everyone studies a bit differently so what is doing great for me might not work for you. One of the most frustrating parts of school for me has been learning how to study, so hopefully you will find something that clicks soon. :)

I've personally found that the way I studied in undergrad doesn't work at all in vet school. I would go through all the lectures from the day, but just read through it and I didn't retain anything and had to go through them again and again. I didn't have time to do all of this when exams came up so I switched it up. I went through the lectures after we had them, but I made my studying active, such as quizzing myself and writing it down on a whiteboard and making computer flashcards that I flip through when I can. I also found it helped to see the material in as many ways as possible, so if it was anatomy I would look at my textbook, lecture, lab, and two other websites for the material until I got it down cold. The biggest thing for me (besides the active studying), was keeping up with everything as it came. There are some weeks (like this last one) that I was unable to stay caught up, but it definitely made it easier for me to review and put it all together when the weekend came around instead of feeling like I was drowning.

This has worked well for me for the past 2.5 years, and a few of my classmates have adopted my method:
I type up notes during lecture (put a word document and a powerpoint side by side). I type all of the notes in the powerpoint into the word doc and add any additional info in that the lecturer emphasizes. This creates a study guide. Format is important- use headings, titles, bullets, tables, etc. Then, a few days before the exam, I print out the study guide and highlight it. Then I go through it again and highlight with a different color any of the things I didn't retain from the first time I highlighted it. Then I handwrite anything I didn't retain/think is important that was highlighted in the second color. IF I don't have enough time to do this or the study guide is long (50+ pages), I highlight the document in Word, then type out a short study guide using the above method. Then cram the short study guide.

Well, I have been out of undergrad for 2 yrs so I am having to relearn to study. I was taking notes in class, then rewriting them all and breaking down needed note cards from there. I am doing the reading (behind in anatomy) and highlighting but haven't been writing them down. Also a study group which I have never really loved doing.
I changed it up after first block cause obviously didn't work. Now I have the powerpoint and jot notes on as needed. Also writing my notes from the readings. I have the 2nd histo exam in less than 2 weeks.

I think part of my problem is that I am freaking myself out. I can't quite believe that I finally made it and almost feel like they will tell me it was a mistake any day. I have always had test anxiety too. There is a lot of extra pressure on me personally and professionally, as I have a family back in KY and a boss that is just waiting for me to join her. I know they picked me for a reason or I wouldn't be here but I am having a hard time getting past my fears. Class room work has always been a weak point for me too. I know that when I get into clinics, I will shine but I have to get there first. Add in that I am non-trad with a whole bunch of 3+1 and well.....

Thanks for letting me whine!

Well, I have been out of undergrad for 2 yrs so I am having to relearn to study. I was taking notes in class, then rewriting them all and breaking down needed note cards from there. I am doing the reading (behind in anatomy) and highlighting but haven't been writing them down. Also a study group which I have never really loved doing.
I changed it up after first block cause obviously didn't work. Now I have the powerpoint and jot notes on as needed. Also writing my notes from the readings. I have the 2nd histo exam in less than 2 weeks.

I think part of my problem is that I am freaking myself out. I can't quite believe that I finally made it and almost feel like they will tell me it was a mistake any day. I have always had test anxiety too. There is a lot of extra pressure on me personally and professionally, as I have a family back in KY and a boss that is just waiting for me to join her. I know they picked me for a reason or I wouldn't be here but I am having a hard time getting past my fears. Class room work has always been a weak point for me too. I know that when I get into clinics, I will shine but I have to get there first. Add in that I am non-trad with a whole bunch of 3+1 and well.....

Studying is different for everyone. Maybe see if you can't talk to professors in classes you are having trouble in or see if they don't have some study resources. For me, I would die if I wrote out everything, it doesn't work for me and I end up passively re-writing notes verbatim.

I tend to read notes out loud (I am an auditory learner). Sometimes I get through all the notes, sometimes I don't. I might make some flash cards for definitions or things that are pure memorization (like pharmacology), otherwise I just read. It seems to work for me.

Also if you know that you have problems with test anxiety, then seek out help and advice NOW on how to deal with it. Don't wait until you are already in trouble before asking for help.

You know what sucks? Having our first, huge medicine test the afternoon after surgery. You know what sucks more? Having a SECOND huge medicine test the afternoon after surgery. My surgery group got screwed. I'm so glad to be done, but hope I didn't just absolutely bomb that exam.

We had the same problem. We'd have tests the week of our spays, which meant we'd have to go in and PE our dogs by like 7 since our tests were at 8/8:30. It sucked.

My mom called me late Tuesday night to tell me that my sister was going to have emergency surgery to remove an ectopic pregnancy. I didn't even know my sister was pregnant, but I did know that her and her husband have been trying to conceive for a while. She had a doctors appointment on Tuesday- the ultrasound tech said the baby looked good and had a heart beat. Then the radiologist said the baby was ectopic and that my sister would have to have surgery to remove it. My whole family was shocked and very sad. My mom then called me a few hours later to say that the surgeon did NOT see an ectopic pregnancy after cutting her, and assumed it was in the uterus. He warned her that she could now lose the prengnacy because the uterus had been disturbed. My family held out hope until tonight when my sister had a major bleed. She had a miscarriage this evening. I am so terribly sad, frustrated, and angry. I don't even know what to do. I want to go home to Virginia be with my family. But, the soonest I can go home is in 2 weeks. I just want to see my sister and take care of her. :(.......

A year ago today I lost my beautiful girl in the most tragic of ways. My heart is still broken, I miss her every day. <3 :cryi:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    31.8 KB · Views: 54
  • Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 49
My mom called me late Tuesday night to tell me that my sister was going to have emergency surgery to remove an ectopic pregnancy. I didn't even know my sister was pregnant, but I did know that her and her husband have been trying to conceive for a while. She had a doctors appointment on Tuesday- the ultrasound tech said the baby looked good and had a heart beat. Then the radiologist said the baby was ectopic and that my sister would have to have surgery to remove it. My whole family was shocked and very sad. My mom then called me a few hours later to say that the surgeon did NOT see an ectopic pregnancy after cutting her, and assumed it was in the uterus. He warned her that she could now lose the prengnacy because the uterus had been disturbed. My family held out hope until tonight when my sister had a major bleed. She had a miscarriage this evening. I am so terribly sad, frustrated, and angry. I don't even know what to do. I want to go home to Virginia be with my family. But, the soonest I can go home is in 2 weeks. I just want to see my sister and take care of her. :(.......

That's terrible. My condolences for your family.

Are ectopic pregnancies difficult to distinguish from normal pregnancies?

I agree with DVMD that any test anxiety you're dealing with should be addressed as soon as possible. I'm sure it's a common problem and that your school has good resources.

Studying it's tough because you need to know your own learning style. Also, I felt as though each class required a different method which is frustrating!

For example, anatomy and histology require you to go through visual pattern recognition and the only way to really be good at those tests is to see the images, recognize the patterns/context and put it all together to understand what you're looking at. For histo, I would recommend Youtube videos (Shotgun histology, for example) that show you the images and talk you through what you should be seeing in them. You could also hand-drawn your own version of what various tissues look like (I used this approach for anatomy, as drawing my own diagrams helped imprint the information/placement in my mind).

For the more concept-based subjects like physiology and immunology, I liked to find a way to make all of the text into pictures or diagrams. I used Kahn Academy on Youtube to help explain the more basic processes (he draws/diagrams as he talks) and also would just google certain concepts and read a variety of sources as each would present the concept a little differently and a different presentation may make it stick better.

Just general miscellaneous things: I like to use color coding for notes as I have a mostly visual memory. For example, if I put all of the forelimb extensor names in pink and all the flexors in green, I could usually close my eyes and remember that such and such a muscle was in the green column. I would also jot notes in the margins of powerpoints; I think copying large amounts of text is useless and time consuming for most students.

I also found that group studying (it was me and two other students for three years) was great, once we got our routine down. Asking each other questions, teaching each other concepts in our own words, filling in each other's weak spots...it all really helped solidify things. You need to find the right people that will not be talking and goofing off the whole time but also who you feel comfortable with so that you don't feel embarrassed saying, "Gee, I don't actually know how that works, could you explain it to me?" Getting into a routine with some good people can be invaluable. I'm certain I owe them my grades!

I'm the same way - I'm really good at the hands on clinical stuff, but lousy at the classroom stuff. One of the things I've found that helps me with this is to make the classroom stuff more like the clinic by thinking about how I would explain things to a client. This obviously doesn't help with the minutia you have to learn, but it is beneficial (and useful!) for the larger concepts. So for example, if I'm trying to learn how the glomerulus of the kidney works, I might think about how I would explain it to a client whose cat has renal problems. Sometimes I have to have my notes in front of me to figure it out, but usually once I mentally work through it once or twice I don't need the notes any more. Then I can be thinking about my explanations of the concepts while I'm driving to school or at the gym or whatever, and be doing some "mental studying" without being hunched over a desk all day.

As a side note, I think only certain types of people really do well with study groups. If you're really hating it, then it's probably not worth forcing yourself to do it.

Reactions: 1 users

As far as study groups go, my personal feelings on those are 50/50. I prefer to study with different people in the beginning, and then find that one person that I really study well with. Luckily I found that person very early on, and we meet up regularly to study for individual classes and we get a lot done going back and forth quizzing each other and figuring out concepts. My advice would be to try to find a person like that so that you both can succeed together and it helps you find different ways of remembering things!

Damn it FB friend, why on earth would you share a link of a photo montage of a dog with bone cancer's last day, including heartbreaking captions?

It's things like that that make me think I won't hack it in vet med emotionally... I cried for around 30 minutes about that dog. I've yet to shadow and I honestly don't know how I'll handle an euthanasia. :scared:

I told my mother that at least as a people doctor, I wouldn't care as much. I'm on the fence right now.

Damn it FB friend, why on earth would you share a link of a photo montage of a dog with bone cancer's last day, including heartbreaking captions?

It's things like that that make me think I won't hack it in vet med emotionally... I cried for around 30 minutes about that dog. I've yet to shadow and I honestly don't know how I'll handle an euthanasia. :scared:

I told my mother that at least as a people doctor, I wouldn't care as much. I'm on the fence right now.

I look at euthanasia not as killing an animal, but as a means to ending their suffering. From that angle, it's a wonderful thing you're doing for an animal. Maybe you will still be emotional about it, and that's okay, but I think if you're able to see a euthanasia of a really sick animal, you'll see that it's a good thing and often a relief to the owners too.

I look at euthanasia not as killing an animal, but as a means to ending their suffering. From that angle, it's a wonderful thing you're doing for an animal. Maybe you will still be emotional about it, and that's okay, but I think if you're able to see a euthanasia of a really sick animal, you'll see that it's a good thing and often a relief to the owners too.

You know, that's a really good attitude to have about it, and I can understand it intellectually. It'll be my feelings that I'm worried about; and I won't know until I'm in the situation.

Thanks. :)

To be fair that link was really really sad. Also beautiful, but I cried a lot. That being said I think that is a perfect example of why euthanasia can be such a positive thing.

To be fair that link was really really sad. Also beautiful, but I cried a lot. That being said I think that is a perfect example of why euthanasia can be such a positive thing.

I mean, it means he doesn't have to live as a three-limbed dog and have an osteosarcoma (is that the proper term?) hanging from his ribs. But it was super tragic.

I'm glad that you all cry at those kinds of things too. Not like I'm relishing anyone's tears, but you know what I mean.

I haven't seen the link, but I'm sure I'd cry about it too. Sometimes it can take a little time to adjust emotionally to the idea of euthanasia and to actually seeing euthanasia. In a lot of cases, euthanasia is the best thing we can provide a sick or injured animal who is suffering. Of course, it's sad that the animal is suffering in the first place, but it's a good thing that we can offer the animal a more peaceful death and an end to whatever pain or distress they're feeling.

If you have a hard time the first time you see a euthanasia, try to find someone to talk to about it - maybe ask a vet or tech or assistant how they deal with it. I think a lot of clinic staff realize it's hard to see a euthanasia for the first time, and in my experience someone will usually ask the shadow if they're okay and talk to them a bit. It's okay become a vet and still feel emotional about euthanasia (as long as you're taking care of your own emotional health and aren't burning out), and it's also okay if you find out that you see euthanasia as a positive thing for the animal and don't get very emotional.

I just had ankle surgery last week and fell trying to get around. I'm about 75% certain I broke my wrist. Guess I need to get back to the ortho sooner than I thought

I mean, it means he doesn't have to live as a three-limbed dog and have an osteosarcoma (is that the proper term?) hanging from his ribs. But it was super tragic.

I'm glad that you all cry at those kinds of things too. Not like I'm relishing anyone's tears, but you know what I mean.

Bone cancer is supposedly the most painful cancer there is. It is sad when it comes to euthanasia but when the animal is in pain, it is much better to have a peaceful passing. The only other option for that dog would be to let it live until the cancer took its life, which would have been a very painful death.

It makes me feel better that you all would have felt similarly; I'm just gauging how emotionally prepared I am for all of it, you know? It's one thing to get hurt every once and a while, but I'm not sure if I want to go this route because being burned emotionally over and over again can't be healthy.

Thanks everyone. :)

Bone cancer is supposedly the most painful cancer there is. It is sad when it comes to euthanasia but when the animal is in pain, it is much better to have a peaceful passing. The only other option for that dog would be to let it live until the cancer took its life, which would have been a very painful death.
Not to mention the weakness and cachexia

Hoooly crap I had the worst spay yesterday. Chubby cat, I started my incision way too low in the abdomen so it ended up like double my normal length, a pedicle tore while ligating (so extended even more to find it...), had to do part of my linea twice because I wasn't confident in the holding, skin knot didn't bury properly, etc. One of the doctors I work with thought I was finishing my second cat when I was just finally getting that one done. Yikes.

On the bright side, I've now learned how to fix all these issues... just wished it hadn't all happened on the same day, nevermind the same cat! urggh.

Anxiety... :depressed::confused::unsure:

It's really discouraging when you do so much to push yourself to take on things that are difficult for you and conquer them, only for five more anxiety provoking things to pop up for each one you finish. I may have taken on a few too many activities to challenge myself this year. Not because I don't have time for them all... but because I don't have the emotional energy to handle them all (and time does become an issue when you spend 3 hours trying to write an email that should take 30 seconds). It's sad when schoolwork is the thing you turn to when you need a break from feeling stressed.

Curse you Midwest weather! I was playing good and then as tornado watch had to come and ruin my fun :(

:cyclops: thats a lot of diabetes

There might be some other pancreatic-y things in there, but it's like mainly diabetes and DKA.

Oh, and same professor has an 87 page handout for adrenal diseases. I need an IV drip of coffee if I'm going to get through all of this.

The worst part is, there was so much information that I learned nothing and am having to re-learn diabetes all over again for real life.