RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, now im really pissed offf, cuz I have been seeing post of people taking prereqs at CC 's and I cant believe vet schools can compare those grades to grades taken at highly selective schools. I just saw somebody who got accepted as a contract position that goes to my in state school as undergrad and that school is not considered very good. Ok so you have great grades, but dont they consider where you got them? my school is considered highly selective and its pretty tough. Im sure if I had taken my prereq at CC my gpa wouldbe higher. Very discouraging to see they aren't taking into account where you are doing yor undergrad.
What is your in state?

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, now im really pissed offf, cuz I have been seeing post of people taking prereqs at CC 's and I cant believe vet schools can compare those grades to grades taken at highly selective schools. I just saw somebody who got accepted as a contract position that goes to my in state school as undergrad and that school is not considered very good. Ok so you have great grades, but dont they consider where you got them? my school is considered highly selective and its pretty tough. Im sure if I had taken my prereq at CC my gpa wouldbe higher. Very discouraging to see they aren't taking into account where you are doing yor undergrad.

Some schools do, a little bit. However, there are many CC's and state schools that are just as difficult work wise as the "selective" schools... a schools' selectivity says nothing about how its courses are. Also, no vet school is going to be impressed if you got straight C's at your fancy "selective" school compared to the A/B student at the state school or community college. They aren't THAT different, so you still have to be getting good grades are your fancy school, simply saying "well it is harder (which is completely an opinion, you don't know if it really is) than so and so school" is not going to impress vet school admissions committees.

Reactions: 1 users

Welp. I'm one of those people who did most of my prereqs at a CC and your post is extremely condescending. Your fancy school does not make you better than me. I was non-trad and couldn't afford a super selective and expensive university. And I'd like to think that the schools that accepted me looked at my entire application, not only my grades (which, by the way, I worked very hard for at my CC).

I was very successful in vet school, and did not struggle compared to my best friend who went to Harvard for undergrad (and who didn't, by the way, hold it against me or think she was better than me because I went to a CC). I graduated and landed my dream residency, so getting my undergrad at a CC didn't hurt me or put me at a disadvantage in any way.

But because I couldn't afford a university because I was older, had a full time job, and had to completely support myself, I shouldn't have gotten the same chance as you to pursue my dream?

Last edited:
Reactions: 15 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you even hear how snobbish and entitled you sound?? Good lord.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey, now, that's not really fair. Not everyone can afford or otherwise have the ability to go to a "highly selective" school; some people are nontraditionals with families or full-time work to attend to. Maybe they're just wanting to spend less money for their pre-reqs... which, with how much debt vet school will leave them in, anyway, is very smart. Scholarships and grants can sometimes be very competitive, too, keep in mind. Let alone full rides (I was always jealous of those people...). I'm at a state university and can barely even afford that right now. I get very little aid outside of loans, and I sometimes regret not just doing community college instead - it certainly would've saved me some dough in the long run.

Some vet schools do take where you did your classes into account, but - like the others said - getting Bs and Cs in your pre-reqs at your fancy, tough school is not going to make you look objectively better than someone who got As at a community college. What is your IS school, out of curiosity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I know your upset, but this isn't at all fair to people who worked their butts off at their CC to get into vet school, many who couldn't afford to go to a 4-year university or went to a CC slowly completely pre-reqs while working nearby. I realize that every school is different, but there are several people that went to a CC in my class and based on their academic performance, I'm pretty confident that they would have done just as well if they went to a highly-ranked 4 year university.

As someone who went to a "tough" undergrad, I see absolutely no difference between me and several of my classmates who completed most or all of their education at a CC. They are succeeding just as well if not better than the rest of us, and each and every one of them deserves to be here regardless of what school they went to.

Reactions: 2 users
Have I missed anesthesia complaining or is it actually a reasonable rotation at most schools?
I'm on anesthesia right now. Clinician and techs are amazing, but our caseload is crazy high. We were absolutely slammed this week. It's stressful, esp since there seems to be some miscommunication between surgery techs and anesthesia techs, and I kind of get stuck in the middle of it. The one thing I really dislike about anesthesia: I hear the monitor alarms going off in my head when I am trying to fall asleep at night.

Seriously? Like others have said, not everyone can afford to go a fancy "selective" school. My boyfriend did his first 2 years at a CC and transferred to a local university because he could not afford 4 years at a university. He's in his 2nd year of medical school now and is at the top of his class, while many of the other people who went to "selective" schools struggle. I took 1 course at a CC and it was one of my worst grades in undergrad...it was difficult! CC does not equal easy 4.0

Not saying anyone doesnt deserve to get in or wont do well when they do. Just saying some schools are just looking at gpa without considering the school the grades came from. lets face it, some schools are harder than others. There are schools harder than mine and easier than mine. A B at one school would be an A at another.
This is not a comment on anyones financial situation and no one knows mine. If I was lucky enough to attend a highly selective school doesnt mean I'm a snob or condescending. Im sorry if it came across that way, was not intended as such. I did take a couple of classes at my state school and they were easier.

Not saying anyone doesnt deserve to get in or wont do well when they do. Just saying some schools are just looking at gpa without considering the school the grades came from. lets face it, some schools are harder than others. There are schools harder than mine and easier than mine. A B at one school would be an A at another.
This is not a comment on anyones financial situation and no one knows mine. If I was lucky enough to attend a highly selective school doesnt mean I'm a snob or condescending. Im sorry if it came across that way, was not intended as such. I did take a couple of classes at my state school and they were easier.
But that's not always the case. I understand in your experience that this was the case, and that's fine. But a sample of n=2 isn't saying a whole lot. And whose to say that someone who got the A at the community college level would not have gotten an A at the "fancy university". You are implying the equivalence that a B at your school would equal an A at the community college. But that's not always the case. And quite honestly, if you really wanted to, it is very easy to selectively take classes at "fancy university's" that have great grade distributions. You are generalizing just a bit too much in your argument.

For me, I had the opportunity to go to ivy leagues, and turned it down for a
More economical choice with larger scholarships. Why? Bc at the end of the day it doesn't matter if you went to a community college or a "fancy school". What matters, for me is whether my choice left me in an okay financial state and whether via my choice, I was able to get into vet school.

I will be honest, I do think that vet schools do look at schools you went to a bit more then they let on. But if u r getting Cs at Harvard, be rest assured that they will take the person getting straight As at community college in a heartbeat. Or even if you are getting straight Bs at Harvard. Bc whose to say that the same person who went to community college wouldn't be getting As at Harvard? And schools are not going to discriminate based off of financial decisions that people made.

Not necessarily true... It depends on the school and the student. And what classes at your state school were "easier"? How do you know they were easier? Did you take those exact same classes at your fancy school? You can't compare a couple classes at one school to different classes at another and say that the one school was easier.

You're right, going to your fancy school doesn't necessarily mean you're a snob or condescending. It was the incredibly awful tone of your post that makes you come across that way.

Reactions: 5 users
Sorry but the way you worded your first post did have the implication that you didn't think someone who took all their classes at a CC deserved to get in. When you mention that someone who supposedly went to an "easier" school got a seat and proceed to rant about it, you're saying you don't think they deserved the spot because of where they went to school. And, in fact, you'll find quite a bit of grade inflation at some of the more selective schools.

You may not intend to come across as an elitist or condescending, but almost everyone here is perceiving your posts that way...

How can you tell the tone in a post. I think it was your interpretation, not the tone. Like an email, things can be interpreted differently based on the experiences of the reader.

Members don't see this ad :)
How can you tell the tone in a post. I think it was your interpretation, not the tone. Like an email, things can be interpreted differently based on the experiences of the reader.
I can bold particular phrases for you if you want, but you're going to a highly selective school, so I'm sure you understand that context gives words their meaning and that just because it is text doesn't mean that tone goes out the window - especially when multiple people are picking up on the same thing.

Reactions: 5 users
Jeez I thought thought this thread was a rant thread and you could post things that were bothering you. Didnt know I would get attacked for having an opinion that differed from some of yours.
It was not a commentary on anyone who has chosen the CC route.

Then as the poster, isn't it your responsibility to see that the way your words are interpreted online is the way you mean them? Yes, discerning tone on the internet and over written boards is difficult but when everyone so far has read you message and interpreted condensation, that's not on us.

Jeez I thought thought this thread was a rant thread and you could post things that were bothering you. Didnt know I would get attacked for having an opinion that differed from some of yours.
This may be a rant thread, but this is also a community forum that supports each other in this field. Vet med is difficult enough without people who are seemingly looking down in a future colleague

It most certainly was
I have been seeing post of people taking prereqs at CC 's and I cant believe vet schools can compare those grades to grades taken at highly selective schools
How is that not a commentary on people who took their prereqs at CC? What exactly did you mean by that, if not that the gpa of someone who took their classes at a CC should be under more scrutiny, or automatically placed at a lower level, than someone who went to a more prestigious school? Are you not implying that you think you deserve special treatment because you went to a school where you think the classes were more difficult?

You probably could have gotten better grades at a less selective school. Pity you didn't do so, but that's what happens when you chase prestige over results.
Some schools are harder than others. But the fact is, you will use very little of what you learned in undergrad in vet school. If you get an A at community college, you probably learned everything you needed to learn to succeed. If you get an A at a highly selective school, you might very well have learned a bunch of superfluous stuff that you don't really need. Beyond a certain point, all that really matters is who is the best person for the seat, not the person with the highest GPA or stats. A person that went to CC or state school can easily show that the meet the minimum requirements- after that it's just a matter of determining whether they're the right person or the person who went to the Ivy is.

You don't win by having the most rigorous or difficult degree. You win by fitting the position you wish to fill as best as you possibly can.

No I mean that vet schools need to consider each school individually. Whether it be a CC or a 4 yrschool. Not all school are the same.

No, not all schools are the same, but vet school admission is not solely based on grades either. If it were, I daresay that vet school may be a more pencil pushing and boring place without all the diversity that each student brings to the class. That's why applications, while considering grades as a factor, also looks at experiences, hobbies, extracurriculars, and everything about the student as a whole person.
Even if schools took the time to evaluate every undergrad institution that falls on the adcom's desk, how much more time would it take for applications to be processed? How much longer would it take for decisions to come back to us applicants? And what if by chance that community college's courses were in fact much more rigorous than those offered at state school? Simply put you can't always judge a school, or its students, by th connitation.

This may be a rant thread, but this is also a community forum that supports each other in this field. Vet med is difficult enough without people who are seemingly looking down in a future colleague
This X1,000,000,000,000!

Getting into vet school is incredibly difficult and I understand being upset when you see someone get in that you feel is less deserving than you, especially if you've been rejected. But, you don't know the details of that person's application. They may have an experience, eLOR or something in their PS that caught the adcoms attention and put them higher on the acceptance list than their stats would otherwise indicate. I know I've felt that way about previous classmates, but once I sat back and thought about it calmly, I realized that they likely had something I didn't and I worked to improve my application for the next round using advice from those same classmates.

No I mean that vet schools need to consider each school individually. Whether it be a CC or a 4 yrschool. Not all school are the same.
I think you are severely overstating the difference in difficulty levels between classes at different schools. Hell, if you want to go that far, why not have the vet schools evaluate different professors? We all know that there are some "easy" professors at each school. So if you make an A in their class, clearly that shouldn't be worth as much as an A in a more difficult professor's class.

ETA: Not to mention that there are professors that teach at multiple schools at different "levels". In my hometown there are professors that teach the same class at the community college, the public university, and the private university.

Last edited:
I think you are severely overstating the difference in difficulty levels between classes at different schools. Hell, if you want to go that far, why not have the vet schools evaluate different professors? We all know that there are some "easy" professors at each school. So if you make an A in their class, clearly that shouldn't be worth as much as an A in a more difficult professor's class.
Oh God, imagine the time it would take for that. We'd have to apply sophomore year and pray our first two years were good enough so they'd have time to track our professors. Then wait another year to evaluate our upper class profs. The horror!

I've definitely taken a few classes that were kind of a joke due to the prof. If you look at the course description and syllabus it sounds impressive, but it ended up being so easy even the worst students got B's while half assing their way through.

I've definitely taken a few classes that were kind of a joke due to the prof. If you look at the course description and syllabus it sounds impressive, but it ended up being so easy even the worst students got B's while half assing their way through.
I did my undergrad at a Big10 school, so I went into my upper classes dreading the worst. My junior level biochem was laughable, and most of everything else wasn't too terrible. Except physics, physics was the worst.

I did my undergrad at a Big10 school, so I went into my upper classes dreading the worst. My junior level biochem was laughable, and most of everything else wasn't too terrible. Except physics, physics was the worst.
Is physics ever not the worst? :p

Is physics ever not the worst? :p
I had an awesome physics prof and absolutely LOVED it! My son went to a few classes with me (he was in 6th grade at the time) and he not only understood the concepts, but successfully answered questions and actively participated in the class. My prof got a kick out of calling on my son to answer questions, especially when other students got the same question wrong.

I hear it comes back to haunt you in respiratory physio at Mizzou ;)

*sob*:cryi: Why you bring up painful things huh? I'm trying to wipe that from my memory okay?

Seriously though, I think physics is horrific no matter where you go... *shudder* :barf:

*sob*:cryi: Why you bring up painful things huh? I'm trying to wipe that from my memory okay?

Seriously though, I think physics is horrific no matter where you go... *shudder* :barf:
I'm sorry! I'll snap you pictures of Juniper to make you feel better, okay :cat:

I had an awesome physics prof and absolutely LOVED it! My son went to a few classes with me (he was in 6th grade at the time) and he not only understood the concepts, but successfully answered questions and actively participated in the class. My prof got a kick out of calling on my son to answer questions, especially when other students got the same question wrong.
That's awesome lol. I will be honest, my ap physics teacher was beyond amazing. College physics was very much the opposite for me though.

And ashgirl, it's all in the past now, no need to think about it anymore :p

How is juniper doing by the way??

Did someone say something about off topic tangents? :p
Tangents? Where!?

She's doing well, though I am wondering when she'll start acting like as cat and stop playing fetch with our Nerf darts. Or chirping. Or chattering like a dolphin.
Maybe I don't have a cat after all...

That's awesome lol. I will be honest, my ap physics teacher was beyond amazing. College physics was very much the opposite for me though.

And ashgirl, it's all in the past now, no need to think about it anymore :p
My high school physics teacher (he also taught AP physics but i didn't take it) was amaze. I liked my physics 2 prof here, but physics 1 was :barf:

Tangents? Where!?

She's doing well, though I am wondering when she'll start acting like as cat and stop playing fetch with our Nerf darts. Or chirping. Or chattering like a dolphin.
Maybe I don't have a cat after all...
Chirping and chattering are the best :love:

The only time I heard her meow is when she tricked me into letting her into my bedroom at 6 in the morning. On a weekend.
Bahaha. Gandalf is confined to my mom's bathroom at night (he's untrustworthy when unsupervised and it's a very big bathroom) so I don't have that problem. He talks when he's happy or hungry :D

Bahaha. Gandalf is confined to my mom's bathroom at night (he's untrustworthy when unsupervised and it's a very big bathroom) so I don't have that problem. He talks when he's happy or hungry :D
Juniper just likes to eat feet at night. If she cuddled me like she does my roommate, I'd have no problem giving her free night reign.

Juniper just likes to eat feet at night. If she cuddled me like she does my roommate, I'd have no problem giving her free night reign.
Eating feet it a common problem. I used to wake up to my older kitty biting my toes. She has become more polite in her old age but still...I make sure she's not at the foot of the bed before I go to sleep.

:corny:

But really, I'd like to weigh in on this. It'll be repetitive, but I need to decompress after my 12.5 hour shift:
You're already on the defensive since you encountered disagreeing opinions on this. Shocker, I also disagree. TBH, you are jealous. And that's normal/expected. You want to be accepted, and just watched someone you deem 'unworthy' get a seat. I urge you to rethink this thinking process. It's not only harmful and hurtful, but it's just plain not cool.
It's not just the school itself that determines whether or not a class will be 'easier.' Having taking college courses yourself, you should know this by now. Professor, testing style of professor, types of assignments, whatever. What you think is easy is hard for another, and vice versa. I've taken courses at my 4-year that were far easier than any course I took at my CC.
It is a rant thread. With that being said, it is common sense not to complain about something that offends quite a lot of us on here. Next time, try rephrasing your post so that it's less "I'm pissed that people with 'easier' courses get into vet school" and more "I'm frustrated that I haven't been accepted yet." I can't really think of a way to reword the main point of your rant without it still sounding rude...so that tells you something.
If you do/did your research, you'd know that this is actually a common thing that some schools do. They won't necessarily add points if you went to a four-year or prestigious school, but some require that you take your upper level science courses at a 4-year. Some schools even say that they look into the academic rigor of your undergrad school. If you're really that upset by CC students getting into vet school, don't apply to schools that don't consider academic rigor. And I'm not saying that a CC doesn't have rigorous courses. My CC courses were definitely difficult, but much more enjoyable than any course I took at my four-year. The professors care more, have time for you, know your name, etc.
I'm not gonna lie, lots of things get misinterpreted (everywhere on the internet). I've had my posts misinterpreted, and I've misinterpreted the posts of others. However, your first post was completely transparent and you can't really attempt to hide the tone you wrote it in after the fact.

I understand why you're upset. It's tough to watch others get accepted while you sit and wait....I was there last year. You can either seek ways to improve yourself, or do what you are doing and bash those who did get accepted/convince yourself that only got in because their classes were easier. Which do you think will do you the most good in the long run?

Additionally, you have no freakin' clue about that accepted student's application other than their school. You have no right to pass judgment on him/her. For all you know, that person has incredible experience, an awesome personal statement, great letters, and perfect grades. While you may think that you deserve the acceptance more than he/she does, the school clearly sees something in that applicant that you probably don't even know about.

Now time for my rant :claps:. My hands are all of a sudden super red. They've been dry (thanks Winter), but I spent a good chunk of time scrubbing things in chlorohex today. Anyone here allergic to chlorohex, or does anyone know if this is a normal thing after pretty much soaking my hands in a dilute solution? I seem to develop allergies to things after prolonged exposure...I'm hoping this isn't the case.

Okay, back to derailing now.

Oh grow up.

Reactions: 6 users