RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Being a student in any graduate or professional program automatically makes you an independent. It's the same for every state, every school, and every graduate/professional program.
Well there ya go haha
Doesn't really explain why they ask for parental info for some people and not others though

Members don't see this ad.

Being a student in any graduate or professional program automatically makes you an independent. It's the same for every state, every school, and every graduate/professional program.

Was about to say this... you beat me to it.

If you are filling out FAFSA for undergrad, you will be considered a dependent of your parents until you are 24 (if I remember correctly) or unless you can jump through some insane hoops to break away from that classification.

Once you fill out FAFSA for vet school... you are not needing parent info UNLESS you want to be considered for the something something loan that I forgot what it is called now....

Was about to say this... you beat me to it.

If you are filling out FAFSA for undergrad, you will be considered a dependent of your parents until you are 24 (if I remember correctly) or unless you can jump through some insane hoops to break away from that classification.

Once you fill out FAFSA for vet school... you are not needing parent info UNLESS you want to be considered for the something something loan that I forgot what it is called now....
Is it the direct stafford loan? That loan directly showed up after filling out the FAFSA for me with the amount I can get from it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it the direct stafford loan? That loan directly showed up after filling out the FAFSA for me with the amount I can get from it.
I'm pretty sure it was like the health professions something-or-other loan and it's from Ohio State. It isn't a federal loan but OSU bases it off of the FAFSA.

Reactions: 1 users
I think you're talking about the health professions loan (or whatever it's called) which I don't think exists anymore. Some schools require parental info in the fafsa for institutional aid though

Reactions: 1 user
I'm pretty sure it was like the health professions something-or-other loan and it's from Ohio State. It isn't a federal loan but OSU bases it off of the FAFSA.

I think you're talking about the health professions loan (or whatever it's called) which I don't think exists anymore. Some schools require parental info in the fafsa for institutional aid though
You beat me to it by 9 seconds. They talked about it at the open house last year and at the interviews this year so I certainly hope it still exists!

It's a federal thing but through the university. I dunno if there are schools that don't participate. I never had parental tax info, so I didn't pay too much attention to it. For some reason I thought they nixed it, but maybe I'm mixing it up with subsidized loans

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm. Guess I should get my mom to do her taxes early after all.
Not happening for my parents. You can use their numbers from last year though. That's what I asked them for.

So if I am reading it correctly, it is essentially subsidized, as interest doesn't accrue until after school ends, yeah?

Meh... as long as you get it in a few months before classes start you will be fine. I have never understood the mass panic to get all the info in before taxes are due when getting the info in by June is usually more than enough time.

Meh... as long as you get it in a few months before classes start you will be fine. I have never understood the mass panic to get all the info in before taxes are due when getting the info in by June is usually more than enough time.
My mom is much more knowledgable with the tax stuff and FAFSA, but she explained to me that the really good subsidized loans are first come first serve, so essentially if I get it in now, and I get offered subsidized loans a from x loan, that is taking from the pool of money they have allotted for that particular loan. I am not sure how accurate that is overall, and she said that it doesn't matter as much with Unsubsidized, but if anything, it's one less thing I have to worry about later on :shrug:

Never mind. I'm being stupid.

My mom is much more knowledgable with the tax stuff and FAFSA, but she explained to me that the really good subsidized loans are first come first serve, so essentially if I get it in now, and I get offered subsidized loans a from x loan, that is taking from the pool of money they have allotted for that particular loan. I am not sure how accurate that is overall, and she said that it doesn't matter as much with Unsubsidized, but if anything, it's one less thing I have to worry about later on :shrug:

There are no longer subsidized loans so it doesn't matter.

And everyone gets the same unsubsidized loan cap... I think $20,500.... so you aren't going to miss out.

Only thing that might be time dependent is the health professionals loan, but I doubt it.

Eh. I use the info from the previous year because my parents always get an extension because we own a small business. I've also filled out Penn's specific financial aid forms after the deadline like every year (again cause of my parents' extension) and have never had an issue getting my money or the health professional loan.

Also, having evening shifts seems to result in me coming home and eating all the things in my kitchen. Not exactly helping with me trying to lose a little weight.

If you don't include your parent's info, you can't be considered for one specific loan type (don't remember which cuz I don't qualify). Otherwise, it's not a huge deal.

There are no longer subsidized loans so it doesn't matter.

And everyone gets the same unsubsidized loan cap... I think $20,500.... so you aren't going to miss out.

Only thing that might be time dependent is the health professionals loan, but I doubt it.
There are none at all? Was that a recent thing? My sis definitely got some during vet school...

And meh, if there is a chance that it is, will still get it done early, especially if that is the only "subsidized" loan available

There are none at all? Was that a recent thing? My sis definitely got some during vet school...

And meh, if there is a chance that it is, will still get it done early, especially if that is the only "subsidized" loan available

HPSL is based upon financial need. I don't know your situation so can't say what will happen there.

Subsidized loans went away a few years ago, I haven't gotten any for vet school.

I'm not trying to say doing FAFSA early is bad, just don't panic about it if you can't get it done early, you'll still get plenty of money to cover expenses.

HPSL is based upon financial need. I don't know your situation so can't say what will happen there.

Subsidized loans went away a few years ago, I haven't gotten any for vet school.
Meh that's unfortunate that they did away with them :/.

And I gotcha about doing it early :)

I was talking with a close friend last night (dog person who understands just how much I want to be a vet) and we got on the subject of salaries and I mentioned the debt/salary ratio for vets.
Which resulted in her (over quite a few long messages) saying what resulted in "SO. WHAT. If you don't want debt then don't go to vet school. If you don't care, then go, but you can't talk about it then. Either go to vet school and don't mention the debt again (unless you somehow think you deserve more money than the average person simply because you went to school for years? Or otherwise think you are better than other people?) or drop out of pre-vet now. It's not difficult."
It hurt so badly. I guess I can't talk with this close friend about potential worries over future debt without it somehow being an issue. Said friend is in her major for the money only. We just have vastly different views on it I guess.

Also have had a headache going on two days now. :(

Interesting. I did mine and when I was going through it said that I was considered an independent and didn't need to include parental information. NCSU also specifically said that they consider all DVM students to be independent. I'm not sure about other schools though.
Oh yeah you're completely correct. However, parental info is required to receive title 7 loans

Edit: sorry guys, on my phone and didn't see all of the other posts!

My first live surgery is in two weeks. I'm sitting here crying because I made soooo many stupid makes during today's cadaver celiotomy lab. I feel like I'm going to kill my dog :( :( :(

Just go slow and don't worry about how long you are taking. It will be ok. You can do it!
My brain does not seem to work during surgery. Like I'll say one thing out loud and then go do the exact opposite thing. I don't know if I'm having anxiety issues or just am plain nervous, but I was really hoping for a spay before today and now I am praying for a neuter so there is less chance to kill my dog :(

My first live surgery is in two weeks. I'm sitting here crying because I made soooo many stupid makes during today's cadaver celiotomy lab. I feel like I'm going to kill my dog :( :( :(
The attending surgeons will not let you kill your dog. If you have any questions, they will be there to help you. Do you have an assistant surgeon? If so, that person will help you when you don't know what to do or if something happens.

My brain does not seem to work during surgery. Like I'll say one thing out loud and then go do the exact opposite thing. I don't know if I'm having anxiety issues or just am plain nervous, but I was really hoping for a spay before today and now I am praying for a neuter so there is less chance to kill my dog :(

I get it. Like, psilovethomas said, the surgeons won't let you kill the dog. You will be ok and if you are struggling or having issues, ask. You are learning, that is the point. Go slow... give your brain time to think. If you do opposite of what you say, then stop, wait a bit and then think about what you need to do next. If it takes 3 hours, then it takes 3 hours. You will be ok though. And being over nervous and anxious can make you get jittery and do things you wouldn't normally.

I think I watched like 435435345 spay videos before my first one. To the point where I could walk through it with my eyes closed. Maybe that will help you?

Thanks, guys. Had a bit of a cry, and I feel a little better now. Going to practice my sutures a TON before my surgery, watch the videos a billion times, and make sure to SLOW DOWN during the surgery. I can do this. I think.

this is a learning exercise, you will not kill the patient. no one will let that happen, because that is no good for all parties involved. they are there to teach you and you are there to get your very first experience. you will not be allowed to fail :) thats one of the great things about being a student - you have pseudo responsibility, which allows you to get the most out of these opportunities. just remind yourself that you are there to learn. you are there to make mistakes - and the big ones wont be made because you have a safety net. it will all be okay :)

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, guys. Had a bit of a cry, and I feel a little better now. Going to practice my sutures a TON before my surgery, watch the videos a billion times, and make sure to SLOW DOWN during the surgery. I can do this. I think.

Honestly, the suturing I think is the biggest learning curve (and what I hear from my classmates as well)... I am slowly getting better at it, but often times closing the abdomen takes just as long as the actual spay part for me...

Reactions: 2 users
Also, don't be afraid to tell your assistant to STFU..seriously.

You'll do fine. Just take your time and move slowly. If you get flustered or frustrated just set the instruments down, take a deep breath and then start up again. Ask questions when you get lost. Write a very detailed "surgery report" prior to the surgery to help you learn the steps. ".......a hemostat was placed on the proper ligament. The suspensory ligament was manually disrupted and the ovary was retracted. A window was made through the broad ligament with a carmalt clamp and three carmalts were placed on the pedicle....." You will still forget things in the surgery or they'll go differently because every surgery is different but that's what your assistant and overseeing surgeon are for. :) The clinicians are used to overwhelmed students. :) You'll be awesome!!!!

You can do it. Like the others have said, the attending surgeons will make sure thinks end well. I made a mistake during a cat spay last month and had a momentary freak out moment because I really thought it was going to be a huge deal. But the surgeon came over and helped me for a minute and it turned out to just be a minor hiccup. So stay calm and have confidence in yourself and your instructors.

Honestly, if a patient does die during a spay it's probably because it didn't do well under anesthesia. And that's not your fault as the surgeon.

I was talking with a close friend last night (dog person who understands just how much I want to be a vet) and we got on the subject of salaries and I mentioned the debt/salary ratio for vets.
Which resulted in her (over quite a few long messages) saying what resulted in "SO. WHAT. If you don't want debt then don't go to vet school. If you don't care, then go, but you can't talk about it then. Either go to vet school and don't mention the debt again (unless you somehow think you deserve more money than the average person simply because you went to school for years? Or otherwise think you are better than other people?) or drop out of pre-vet now. It's not difficult."
It hurt so badly. I guess I can't talk with this close friend about potential worries over future debt without it somehow being an issue. Said friend is in her major for the money only. We just have vastly different views on it I guess.

No offense, but your friend is an idiot. If you ever feel the need to rant about your student debt, just come on here and we'll all be happy to listen because we're all in the same boat.

I guess that also means that your friend can never complain about her job since she's in it for the money ;).

But seriously, we're all in debt here. This is a judgement free debt complaining zone :).

then tell her shes not allowed to talk about it when she hates her job for reasons other than money ;)

Thanks guys, good to know it wasn't just me thinking that. :p I was starting to worry that I was being really unreasonable.

And I will certainly remind her that she hates people complaining about their job the next time she does so. She thinks she doesn't but I think everyone does, at some point.
I wasn't even really complaining about the debt because I do know what I am getting into... I just mentioned it. Gotta love super opinionated friends.

Have I missed anesthesia complaining or is it actually a reasonable rotation at most schools?

Ok, now im really pissed offf, cuz I have been seeing post of people taking prereqs at CC 's and I cant believe vet schools can compare those grades to grades taken at highly selective schools. I just saw somebody who got accepted as a contract position that goes to my in state school as undergrad and that school is not considered very good. Ok so you have great grades, but dont they consider where you got them? my school is considered highly selective and its pretty tough. Im sure if I had taken my prereq at CC my gpa wouldbe higher. Very discouraging to see they aren't taking into account where you are doing yor undergrad.