RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Roomie put herself on a list to adopt a newfie puppy without talking to the rest of us first. We already have 3 dogs and mine doesn't particularly like puppies. This is the same roomie who doesn't really clean up after herself or her dog if she goes in the backyard. I'm moving out in May but I'm still not pleased.

Members don't see this ad.

Roomie put herself on a list to adopt a newfie puppy without talking to the rest of us first. We already have 3 dogs and mine doesn't particularly like puppies. This is the same roomie who doesn't really clean up after herself or her dog if she goes in the backyard. I'm moving out in May but I'm still not pleased.
wow you're allowed to have a lot of animals at your place! (living with an animal irresponsible person, i understand how annoying it must be that she is making poor decisions that will affect you too)

Members don't see this ad :)
wow you're allowed to have a lot of animals at your place! (living with an animal irresponsible person, i understand how annoying it must be that she is making poor decisions that will affect you too)

Our landlord is a Penn Vet grad so he doesn't care as long as it doesn't become a hoarding situation. it's also a 3 person house so right now it's only a dog per person. We are supposed to give a week's notice before bringing in a new animal. Oh, we're not allowed birds though.

Reactions: 1 user
My left eye has been twitching for like two weeks. It's starting to bother me a bit. And I'm scrubbing into surgery tomorrow. Grrrr...

Are you sure your lab tech wasn't trying to be funny or playful? Suggesting that you'd do better selling drugs or prostituting yourself seems like a humorous exaggeration that's meant to get a rise out of you.

I've actually discovered he is just a condescending person that has a low opinion of students. I think he "thinks" he is playful, but he is just an ahole . I've decided not to spar with him again in the future.

And it isn't like Newfs are easy keeper dogs either. I really really really want one, and had the chance to get one but opted not to because of my time and money constraints. They require a lot of care. I feel bad for the pup if the roomie isn't going to take care of it like it should be.

And it isn't like Newfs are easy keeper dogs either. I really really really want one, and had the chance to get one but opted not to because of my time and money constraints. They require a lot of care. I feel bad for the pup if the roomie isn't going to take care of it like it should be.
I want one so bad because they're so big and fluffy but man...they're so big and fluffy!

I want one so bad because they're so big and fluffy but man...they're so big and fluffy!
I'll be sure to rub it in next week when I go visit my newfie friends and get lots of big, fluffy love!

28597-Its-so-fluffy-gif-HpQW.gif

Reactions: 3 users
I'll be sure to rub it in next week when I go visit my newfie friends and get lots of big, fluffy love!
I will live vicariously through you!
I helped care for a newfie that had been bitten by a spider or a snake or something. We had to support his back legs with a towel sling so he could walk around because of the bite. That dog weighed more than I did...suffice it to say, I was usually on leading duty, not on rear end support lol

Ok, rant:

I have had this horrible headache all day. Along with being super dizzy and lightheaded. I took some ibuprofen and it seems to have taken the edge off, but ugh it still hurts so much and I hate the dizzy feeling along with it.. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sick and tired of dealing with my fellow tech's condescending, critical attitude. :mad: Tonight was really busy and I was left to feed and walk the million boarding dogs by myself, which took forever so I hadn't gotten to some normal closing tasks yet. And even before I started walking dogs, I'd been working my tail off back there. Then the doctor and the other tech come back to do emergency surgery on a dog with a fish hook stuck in its neck, and the other tech goes "what have you been doing all night??" and starts tearing me a new one because I didn't get the surgery packs from earlier in the day wrapped and in the autoclave.

I should have got to them and just got busy with other important things and forgot, but it was the one thing I hadn't got to that I really should have, it didn't really create a problem (there was another pack available for the emergency surgery, and the other packs can be autoclaved in the morning for tomorrow's surgeries), and it's not like this is something I'm constantly forgetting. She is good at her job, and I do sometimes make mistakes that I appreciate having pointed out to me in a constructive manner, but her attitude towards me when I mess up in the slightest is totally unjustified. She talks to me like I'm a child, and some days I'm more nervous about whether she'll get onto me about something than whether or not the doctors will.

This constant griping about other people's mistakes seems to be part of the culture at this clinic, and I'm beyond ready to be done with it. If I end up not getting into vet school this cycle, I'm going to start searching for a job at a different clinic.

I don't necessarily think she'd take bad care of it or anything per se, (although I do disagree/dislike some things she currently does ---but doesn't quite make her a bad owner or anything along those lines) but I would have appreciated at least being talked to before signing up as a potential adopter...especially when my guy is much smaller than even a newfie puppy and we live in a townhouse. The other two dogs are already a decent size so I feel like we just don't physically have the room.

Last edited:
I don't necessarily think she'd take bad care of it or anything per se, but I would have appreciated at least being talked to before signing up as a potential adopter...especially when my guy is much smaller than even a newfie puppy and we live in a townhouse. The other two dogs are already a decent size (small Berner and greyhound) so I feel like we just don't physically have the room.
my faaaave
But wow that would be a lot of dog for one house

Looking at a picture of horse intestines overflowing with worms five minutes after finishing eating a plate of spaghetti for my very late dinner. :barf:
I should have known better than to eat while studying gastrointestinal disease.

I'm sick and tired of dealing with my fellow tech's condescending, critical attitude. :mad: Tonight was really busy and I was left to feed and walk the million boarding dogs by myself, which took forever so I hadn't gotten to some normal closing tasks yet. And even before I started walking dogs, I'd been working my tail off back there. Then the doctor and the other tech come back to do emergency surgery on a dog with a fish hook stuck in its neck, and the other tech goes "what have you been doing all night??" and starts tearing me a new one because I didn't get the surgery packs from earlier in the day wrapped and in the autoclave.

I should have got to them and just got busy with other important things and forgot, but it was the one thing I hadn't got to that I really should have, it didn't really create a problem (there was another pack available for the emergency surgery, and the other packs can be autoclaved in the morning for tomorrow's surgeries), and it's not like this is something I'm constantly forgetting. She is good at her job, and I do sometimes make mistakes that I appreciate having pointed out to me in a constructive manner, but her attitude towards me when I mess up in the slightest is totally unjustified. She talks to me like I'm a child, and some days I'm more nervous about whether she'll get onto me about something than whether or not the doctors will.

This constant griping about other people's mistakes seems to be part of the culture at this clinic, and I'm beyond ready to be done with it. If I end up not getting into vet school this cycle, I'm going to start searching for a job at a different clinic.

I know how you feel, there's this tech I work with that is constantly throwing people under the bus to impress the practice owner. Nobody likes her because of it, and then she cries to us about how she doesn't fit in. Like come on, be a decent person then maybe we like you. Oh and to make matters worse, I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure she did something the other day to throw our new vet under the bus.

I'm taking a paleontology class this semester, because i love the teacher and he's awesome, but that doesn't really matter to what I am going to say lol. This girl in my class was talking to him about what she wants to do after she graduates and she's like 'i think i owe it to myself to apply to vet school'
UGHHHHHHHH she wants to apply to vet school just for the hell of it. then he started to tell her its very difficult/competitive to get in and that if she doesn't want to do that she shouldn't waste her time applying. He looked right at me, and I was like yeahhhh man you know I got in! :)

I know how you feel, there's this tech I work with that is constantly throwing people under the bus to impress the practice owner. Nobody likes her because of it, and then she cries to us about how she doesn't fit in. Like come on, be a decent person then maybe we like you. Oh and to make matters worse, I can't prove it, but I'm pretty sure she did something the other day to throw our new vet under the bus.
Yikes, my coworker isn't quite that bad. She's hard-working and gets along great with the doctors, including our new grad vet who's about 10 years younger than her. But when I make the slightest mistake, she totally chews me out for it, and it's not her job to discipline people. If I've done something wrong, she can bring it up to me politely and move on, or bring it up to the office manager/one of the doctors who can address the issue with me appropriately.

Went to apply for the Saul T. Wilson Scholarship. Last year the announcement was open for two weeks so I was dumb and assumed it would be the same this year. Nope. 9 days. It closed yesterday. So much for that.

This girl in my class was talking to him about what she wants to do after she graduates and she's like 'i think i owe it to myself to apply to vet school"

I wouldn't read too much into a comment like that. I've known people who have said something similar. For those I've known, it wasn't about applying on a whim so much as closure. They know that if they walk away without trying - after going through the "pre-vet" motions for years - they might come to regret that decision. To them it's not a waste of time.

Sir Terry Pratchett died. :( My heart hurts.
Yeah, I wouldn't consider this a rant, but....feels. :cryi:

I couldn't believe it until I saw the last few tweets from his Twitter. And they were so appropriate they broke my heart.

Spent >16 hours at the vet school today. What a day. Spay surgery was interesting to say the least (dog's okay).

It was great getting out of town for a few days, but I'm dreading going back to work at the clinic today. The unpleasant tech said some more nasty things to me on Thursday, to the point that I'm considering quitting. Her attitude isn't the only thing that bothers me about this job, but this feels like the last straw. I'm going to give it some time and see if I get into Mizzou before I do anything rash, but this constant dread and anxiety about my job isn't healthy. I've been just unhappy in general for a long time there.

If I don't get into Mizzou, I'm going to try to find a job at a different clinic, preferably LA/mixed. If nowhere is hiring, I might just go full time at my call center job and then fit in some LA/equine shadowing on the weekends. But I hate to let this other tech drive me away, or to quit without a better opportunity available. Maybe things will improve this week and I'll decide I'm just being too sensitive and it's worth staying, IDK.

Charlottetown hit with nearly 48 centimetres in latest snowstorm

Sunday’s storm, which lasted well into the early hours of this morning (and the blowing snow advisory is still in effect), brings the total snowfall in Charlottetown this winter to 472.6 centimetres.

To put that into perspective, the average total snowfall for the entire winter is 290.4 centimeters.

For those that speak American, that's 15.5 feet.
@that redhead, I hate you so much right now, for not being here to suffer through this with us.

@that redhead, I hate you so much right now, for not being here to suffer through this with us.

It's pretty hilarious, because everyone I've met on externals, job interviews, etc. are like, "So when do you have to go back?" and I have to subdue my cackling. "Oh, I scheduled externals so I didn't have to be there in the winter." And everyone thinks I am genius (including myself) :laugh:

Reactions: 1 users
Grr, why is vet med so darn hard to get information on? I have had a couple vets recommend the following article (Estimating the financial return on a veterinary education) from the 2/15/15 JAVMA. The library at school doesn't carry it and can't get it and the website wants 30 frickin dollars for 24 hours access to just the article. What the heck? For that much I want at least the full issue if not a subscription. Probably for the best, I should be working on my physics labs.

Grr, why is vet med so darn hard to get information on? I have had a couple vets recommend the following article (Estimating the financial return on a veterinary education) from the 2/15/15 JAVMA. The library at school doesn't carry it and can't get it and the website wants 30 frickin dollars for 24 hours access to just the article. What the heck? For that much I want at least the full issue if not a subscription. Probably for the best, I should be working on my physics labs.
Try talking to the librarian. They might be able to order the article for you. Or heck, pm me and I can help out, I worked in university libraries for 3.5 years.

send me your e-mail address. i have access.

Roomie's dog got in my room and destroyed the frame my poster was in my girlfriend just gave me. I am so lucky the actual poster didn't get damaged at all, but I'm still quite upset. This isn't the first time he's gotten in my room and destroyed things.

Roomie's dog got in my room and destroyed the frame my poster was in my girlfriend just gave me. I am so lucky the actual poster didn't get damaged at all, but I'm still quite upset. This isn't the first time he's gotten in my room and destroyed things.
ughhh i feel ya! thankfully my roommates dog is strictly kept out of my bedroom, but i found chewed up carpet while vacuuming this weekend. latest annoyance? apparently we aren't going to be able to enjoy warm spring fresh air in our apartment because my roommate's dog is trying to ruin the screen door. this wouldnt be an issue if she properly disciplined and trained the dog. 2 more months until freedom...

My back and my arms are really annoyed with this weather and they're being very vocal about it in the only way they know how. Evening run to the drug store for robax and A535 before the next dumping tomorrow...

So remember how I hoped things at the clinic would improve this week? Hahahahahahaha... We had two emergencies last night come in less than an hour before close. One a dog that wasn't breathing, and the other two dogs that got in a fight. And the owners broke up said fight by pepper spraying one of the dogs. :eek: I barely went near that dog and I kept sneezing and coughing the rest of the night. The poor vet and the tech restraining the dog were practically dying.

It's been a complete disorganized mess at the clinic lately, but I keep reminding myself I don't have to work there too much longer. The more I think about it, the more I'm set on putting in my two weeks as soon as I hear back from Mizzou. Either I get a few months to relax before vet school, and keep working my call center job to pay the bills, or I go to plan C and start looking for opportunities at other clinics. I feel kind of bad because I told one of the doctors recently that I'd keep working there if I didn't get into vet school, but I'm just done. I haven't lost my passion for vet med, but I've reached the end of my rope with this clinic in particular. Now I just have to survive the next few weeks there...

ughhh i feel ya! thankfully my roommates dog is strictly kept out of my bedroom, but i found chewed up carpet while vacuuming this weekend. latest annoyance? apparently we aren't going to be able to enjoy warm spring fresh air in our apartment because my roommate's dog is trying to ruin the screen door. this wouldnt be an issue if she properly disciplined and trained the dog. 2 more months until freedom...
Always frustrating living with dogs that aren't your own. Especially those who are poorly trained. Granted, she's only had this pup in the house maybe 6 months and we believe it is separation anxiety. He escaped her room while we were at school somehow and I came home to find it. Hoping the Prozac he was put on kicks in and helps soon

So apparently if you fail the NAVLE in Canada twice, you have to go through the foreign grad process (ECVFG, etc.)

:eek:

That's pretty scary.
I was just talking to my friend about that the other day, don't remember how we got on the subject but I mentioned the thread in the vet forum that was on that topic. It is scary...

Makes me wonder, how many times can you take it in the US? Is there a point where they're like "Clearly you're just terrible, you fail forever"?

I was just talking to my friend about that the other day, don't remember how we got on the subject but I mentioned the thread in the vet forum that was on that topic. It is scary...

Makes me wonder, how many times can you take it in the US? Is there a point where they're like "Clearly you're just terrible, you fail forever"?

My mentor is on the CVMA board that reviews appeals for people that fail and he said that it depends on the state. Some let you take it however many times you want, some have a cap, some have a cap where you have to leave for a certain period of time.

Apparently someone failed here and wanted to know if they could go to Vermont and take it (no cap) and then come back. Nope! :scared:

5 times