RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I love my boyfriend, but I am getting a liiiiittle tired of the panicked phone calls in the middle of the night. He thinks his cat is going to need a vet visit every week forever. She got over an URI, and now his coughing. I am not a doctor. Yet.

:sleep:

Members don't see this ad :)
Ha. Ha. Ha. :bang: (Also, sheep. Gross. :p )

I'm fine with not being interested in everything but these people in my life won't quit talking about how much they hate learning about certain species. Just, like, stop. I already have a limited supply of sanity left and I'm still a few months shy of graduating and GETTING AWAY FROM YOU. But, watch, we'll probably end up at the same school. That's my life.
Meanwhile I'm like "Tell me about ALL the animals. Every single one. Even the bugs."

Reactions: 2 users
The IRS just became my enemy. I owe them 1800 dollars this year
so much for trying to save money for vet school :bang:

Also just found a sizable puddle of urine UNDER the litter box. My cat apparently lost the ability to aim.

Meanwhile I'm like "Tell me about ALL the animals. Every single one. Even the bugs."
I love learning about bugs too! So much so that I often get texts from friends asking me to identify insects for them. I also think parasites are fascinating. From an evolutionary standpoint it's amazing that some of them evolved so that their life cycle requires multiple specific hosts.

Reactions: 1 users
I love learning about bugs too! So much so that I often get texts from friends asking me to identify insects for them. I also think parasites are fascinating. From an evolutionary standpoint it's amazing that some of them evolved so that their life cycle requires multiple specific hosts.
Parasites and bacteria and viruses, oh my!

Reactions: 1 user
My group had our second surgery today (I was on anesthesia). Could do literally nothing right :( Took me forever to get an IVC in, 5 tries for intubation (sorry friend), and then his BP dropped to 50 mmHg and I almost broke down in tears in the middle of the OR. Dog's okay and no worse for wear. I know I'm probably being super critical of myself, but I'm really bummed that literally NOTHING I did today went right. Just ugh.

You didn't kill it. Call it a victory and move on. :) :) It'll get better. And some days it'll get worse. Keep rockin' it out.

Oh. You're one of THOSE......

Members don't see this ad :)
Years ago when I was collecting data for my master's project, I asked my advisor how I should slice my CT scans for the hind flipper. I had them oriented one way and he said no, and said to flip them a completely different way. I flipped them like he said and confirmed with him and he said yes, that is how he wanted them. So I went through every slice of the re-oriented image and took measurements. Now I'm almost done writing my paper and he calls me today to say that the hind flippers are oriented the wrong way! :mad: :barf: Now I'm stuck because I can't recollect the data, so basically my paper will be written on bad info.

My Surface RT tablet fell out of my locker (not that far) and landed wrong and the screen is cracked. The thing now thinks there's constant touch input making it impossible to use and there's no way to turn off touch input and use it like a regular laptop. I suspect replacing the screen is going to cost more than getting a cheap replacement tablet. *sigh*

went to the grocery store. go to buy milk and note that several are leaking. pick up one that isnt leaking and go home. its leaking. go back, trade it out with 2 of us to judge it not leaking. get home. guess what? its leaking too. not going back out in the rain a third time tonight. :mad:

went to the grocery store. go to buy milk and note that several are leaking. pick up one that isnt leaking and go home. its leaking. go back, trade it out with 2 of us to judge it not leaking. get home. guess what? its leaking too. not going back out in the rain a third time tonight. :mad:

Have a gallon sized tea pitcher to put it in?

(All pitchers are for tea 'round these parts, but you know what I mean.)

Poultry medicine: where "conditioned" means "cut chunks of the animal off without any pain control"

"Condition" beaks, "condition" snood, "condition" nails, etc. Ugh. So done with this class.

Dear Assistant Research Advisor:
I'm not stupid. I do know how to use Excel. In fact, I've had to explain to you how to use it in the past. I do NOT need step by step instructions on how to format the cells. I'm sorry my use of formulas confused you. Please don't act like I'm five and have no idea what I'm doing. Please also be grateful for my refraining from replying with profanity. That my cease as soon as I'm finished with my project and don't need you to sign off on it anymore.
Sincerely,
Tante

When the professor consistently shows up to class 10-15 minutes late and gets pissed at students if try leave at the designated time because he's trying to make up the 15 minutes he missed. And then getting pissed at students who don't do well on the quizzes because everything on the quiz was mentioned in said last 15 minutes of class.

Why yes roommate, I did indeed want to wake up 20 minutes early today to your barking dog that you meekly hushed twice and just ignored. Bet all the neighbors did too, since we live in an apartment wI th many close neighbors. Tell you what, next time I'll come smack your dog and discipline it appropriately since you are incapable of being a decent dog owner. (Trust me when I say this is just one example in a line of dozens of offenses. Over the weekend I found she's been filling a water bowl both our dogs use with an old moldy milk jug!)

next time I'll come smack your dog and discipline it appropriately since you are incapable of being a decent dog owner.

I hope you don't mean this...

I hope you don't mean this...
Not in the way you're reading it! This dog has no boundaries, discipline or rules in it's life, and unfortunately using a mild "oh don't do that, you're being silly" (you have to read that in a soft musical voice) doesn't work for teaching and training. We must have some seriously understanding neighbors, because with the way she let's this dog behave in an apartment setting, I would expect tons of complaints filed. She needs to be firm against bad behavior because it is obnoxious to constantly be jumped on, have a nose and paws all over the counters, trying to steal food off the table, barking at all hours, etc. She's a 1yo high energy breed dog that needs a truly dedicated owner to meet her needs and nnot a college kid that isn't into training and exercise. Just this weekend I found the empty jug she fills her dogs bowl with (that my dog drinks from too since it's in a communal location) and it was full of mold. Yup, the dogs are getting water with mold spores. Not like we don't have evidence that certain molds may be linked to cancer or anything...

Years ago when I was collecting data for my master's project, I asked my advisor how I should slice my CT scans for the hind flipper. I had them oriented one way and he said no, and said to flip them a completely different way. I flipped them like he said and confirmed with him and he said yes, that is how he wanted them. So I went through every slice of the re-oriented image and took measurements. Now I'm almost done writing my paper and he calls me today to say that the hind flippers are oriented the wrong way! :mad: :barf: Now I'm stuck because I can't recollect the data, so basically my paper will be written on bad info.

I know your pain. Years ago when I collected my research my advisor assured me multiple times that I wouldn't need IRB approval for a questionnaire. He was completely wrong and wouldn't even concede to that fact until I got my program coordinator involved. Then it was all "no hard feelings" and "you still have enough of a project to finish your degree." He still doesn't really understand why I needed IRB approval which is frightening because he still advises master's students who work with human subjects.

It's just frustrating because you're in a position where you need to trust these people and their knowledge and when they're wrong, you're the one who gets royally screwed.

Not in the way you're reading it! This dog has no boundaries, discipline or rules in it's life, and unfortunately using a mild "oh don't do that, you're being silly" (you have to read that in a soft musical voice) doesn't work for teaching and training. We must have some seriously understanding neighbors, because with the way she let's this dog behave in an apartment setting, I would expect tons of complaints filed. She needs to be firm against bad behavior because it is obnoxious to constantly be jumped on, have a nose and paws all over the counters, trying to steal food off the table, barking at all hours, etc. She's a 1yo high energy breed dog that needs a truly dedicated owner to meet her needs and nnot a college kid that isn't into training and exercise. Just this weekend I found the empty jug she fills her dogs bowl with (that my dog drinks from too since it's in a communal location) and it was full of mold. Yup, the dogs are getting water with mold spores. Not like we don't have evidence that certain molds may be linked to cancer or anything...
That's fine and everything, and I definitely agree that certain dogs definitely need more training than others. I just don't agree with when you said that the dog needs to be taken a hand to. No excuse, ever, for hitting a dog.

School canceled for snow day tomorrow... Still have to wake up at 3am to drive 30 miles to school to work in LA ICU from 4am to 8am :bang:

Today I went to a student art show for the health colleges at my university. Most exhibits seemed legit, but there was one winning piece that poked the bitchy art snob in me. It was a framed cross stitch design of two lions on the savanna. This thing was made from a mass produced craft kit they sell at stores like Hobby Lobby. To me, that's like submitting a paint-by-numbers to an art show.

All I could think was, "how embarrassing would it be if two people had entered the same cross stitch pattern?" Plus, I don't know how someone can claim this as an original piece.

shopping

Today is the sort of day where I try catheters in two reasonable sized dogs and fail, then throw one in a kitten first try. (...yay?)

...and then that kitten's second pedicle promptly decided to rip in two from the tiniest bit of tension in surgery. Awesome. :arghh: (aargghhhlbleeeaaarrgle).

Last edited:
I got bit restraining a caution dog because his muzzled slipped off. It wasn't bad, barely broke the skin and so on, but the first thing the jerk veterinarian who just so happened to write me a LOR for vet school says is "I guess I'm going to have to write Davis a letter saying that you're a klutz." Really? Why are you such an overwhelmingly unpleasant person? 4 1/2 months until freedom.

I got bit restraining a caution dog because his muzzled slipped off. It wasn't bad, barely broke the skin and so on, but the first thing the jerk veterinarian who just so happened to write me a LOR for vet school says is "I guess I'm going to have to write Davis a letter saying that you're a klutz." Really? Why are you such an overwhelmingly unpleasant person? 4 1/2 months until freedom.

Sounds to me like he was joking.... some people have dry, sarcastic senses of humor.

Sounds to me like he was joking.... some people have dry, sarcastic senses of humor.

Well obviously she isn't going to be writing a letter, but it's rude and unpleasant to say the least. A normal reaction is usually, "Are you alright?" This is from the doctor that throws charts and spends most of her day huffing and complaining.

Cut my finger shotgunning a beer last night...Not really sure how since it was on the side that cracks the can. Although my can didn't actually open so who knows. Good thing I got my Tetanus shot booster back in July.

Reactions: 1 user
Well obviously she isn't going to be writing a letter, but it's rude and unpleasant to say the least. A normal reaction is usually, "Are you alright?" This is from the doctor that throws charts and spends most of her day huffing and complaining.

:laugh: One of the vets I worked with that I am best friends with would have said exactly what this vet said. But I've known her for nearly 10 years now and we have the same sarcastic sense of humor.

However, throwing charts is never ok, sorry that she is like that. I still think she was probably joking with you though and wasn't meaning to be rude.

:( yeah that wasn't nice. i got bit in nov, and i could tell the tech had that sort of thought, but guess who got bit by the same patient just one week later??

My boss laughed at me when his 100+lb gsd bit me. His dog went after a little bichon, so I stepped between them so his dog wouldn't kill the little one. He never even asked if I was ok.
You should never do this! It's just not worth it.. I know it's hard not too because it's usually an impulsive reaction. I've seen people do it, and they have never been hurt, but man was it close!