RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tuesday morning: No water in the house
Tuesday evening: No internet at the house
Wednesday evening: Still no internet at the house
No, that's okay, I don't need internet to do any schoolwork at all or Skype my boyfriend or watch Netflix ( :p ), totally fine. Tried to call the internet company last night, but they needed our landline phone number or the account number, of which we know neither. Tried to call the landlord to find out these numbers, no answer. Just came to campus 2.5 hours early this morning to try to get SOME work done... It's day 3 of the new semester and I already feel behind. Awesome.
none of this seems abnormal...;) we were without water a few times in the dorms, but my apt had a tank so that never ended up being an issue. the internet? well good luck...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It took 2 hours for the dentists office to spend less than 30 minites, cleaning and examining my teeth. Multiple people told me how busy they were today when in fact they only had 5 people or fewer there at all times. They clearly need to come spend a day shadowing a vet to understand the definition of busy!

It took 2 hours for the dentists office to spend less than 30 minites, cleaning and examining my teeth. Multiple people told me how busy they were today when in fact they only had 5 people or fewer there at all times. They clearly need to come spend a day shadowing a vet to understand the definition of busy!

Yeah. Every time we get backed up at work and people have to wait - GASP - 2 hours ..... and then start bitching ...... I just want to smack them. Last time I was in a human ER I waited a <lot> longer than 2 hours. Somehow that's ok, but it's not ok when we get slammed.

I'm told that the awesomeness will go up by a factor of 10 pretty soon here when football starts and people start bringing their dog in between games expecting to just run in, deal with whatever, and get home in time for the second game.

Right.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently the world is out to waste all of my time today. Trying to pay the electric bill online (like they request). Can't log into the account. Ask for username (it's what I believe it is). Try to get the password reset. It refuses to recongnize the username/account number/email combo i provide, even though thats the email/account number i ask for the username from and its the username it gives me. Wait on hold for 35 minutes on the phone. Rep says well just try it one more time (I've tried 50 different ways with everything i can possibly think of) and then the call gets dropped. Instead of calling me back, I am expected to wait more than 10 minutes on hold again. NOPE. Scathing email sent. If they want to fix it before the bill is due next week, great, i'll pay. If not, they can be on the hook for it, because I will not waste more of my time for their company's problems.

What happens when you eliminate computer set-up from the first years' orientation? No one is able to set up their computers, that's what happens.

Seriously...these first few weeks are going to be bad enough. It wasn't necessary to not have any of our websites set up on time or to be telling us to download required software that isn't working for anyone.

:(

Yes, blockmate. I get it, you are tired of clinics and want to go home. Please continue to reiterate this every hour starting at 9am every damn day...

(note: We're on EQUINE MEDICINE, and you're equine focused! This is my only damn horse block and I don't have as crappy of an attitude toward it as you...)

Last edited:
Yes, blockmate. I get it, you are tired of clinics and want to go home. Please continue to reiterate this every hour starting at 9am every damn day...

(note: We're on EQUINE MEDICINE, and you're equine focused! This is my only damn horse block and I don't have as crappy of an attitude toward it as you...)
This happened to me on equine med, my blockmate was large animal focused, but would likely be seeing a lot of equine. He could not have cared less that rotation (but karma reallllllly got him and it was the best!)

Also, your blockmate might need a kick in the head if already tired of clinics...

I came home from my crazy 16 hour day to an exploded rotten watermelon in my kitchen, and now the whole place stinks :(

This happened to me on equine med, my blockmate was large animal focused, but would likely be seeing a lot of equine. He could not have cared less that rotation (but karma reallllllly got him and it was the best!)

Also, your blockmate might need a kick in the head if already tired of clinics...

I came home from my crazy 16 hour day to an exploded rotten watermelon in my kitchen, and now the whole place stinks :(

I think he might actually be food animal, too, but in any case he intends to do a lot of horse work after graduating, owns horses, etc. He's otherwise a great blockmate and fun to work with, but needs to chill out on the bitching about wanting to go home and how much clinics suck. It just reminds me that I really don't want to be there.... and yeah, I don't want to see him in like ten blocks, we're not even a third done!

I can already feel the tone of this week.
26cd458242d4bddd938338de64ce3be8.jpg

What happens when you eliminate computer set-up from the first years' orientation? No one is able to set up their computers, that's what happens.

Seriously...these first few weeks are going to be bad enough. It wasn't necessary to not have any of our websites set up on time or to be telling us to download required software that isn't working for anyone.

Seriously feel for you guys! Everything is such a mess on such a large scale. However, organization is not a strong suit here and it seems to be especially first year.

Seriously feel for you guys! Everything is such a mess on such a large scale. However, organization is not a strong suit here and it seems to be especially first year.
Yeah we've noticed. A little disheartening since this should be an exciting time, but we'll get through. Hopefully the lecture halls are up an running by next semester....my back/butt hurt from sitting on lab benches and bending over my laptop for so long and it's only the first day!

Members don't see this ad :)
I misplaced my credit card. Last time I used it was a week ago when I got groceries and I just noticed it was gone today. Searched the apartment and my car to no avail. It's either currently in the laundry and I just missed it when digging through my scrubs, at the clinic somewhere, or lost for good. Good news is, there haven't been any charges on the card in a week and I've frozen the account. I can't adult.

I misplaced my credit card. Last time I used it was a week ago when I got groceries and I just noticed it was gone today. Searched the apartment and my car to no avail. It's either currently in the laundry and I just missed it when digging through my scrubs, at the clinic somewhere, or lost for good. Good news is, there haven't been any charges on the card in a week and I've frozen the account. I can't adult.
When I first got my CC, I 'lost' my wallet. Turns out it had slid across my passenger seat and right into the door pocket. No matter how many times I opened that door and searched the seat, I couldn't find it haha. I ended up finding it like 5 days later.

My rant: When two veterinarians give you completely conflicting advice regarding your cats possible urinary issues. o_O:confused: One thinks he has a raging sterile infection, the other thinks his u/a is normal. I confuse.

It's three days into school and I'm having a progressively awful time falling asleep and staying asleep at night. I don't know why, because I'm not even stressed.

Last night it took me until midnight tossing and turning and I woke up several times, and had awful nightmares. It's hard to pay attention in class like this. :( I hope it stops.

Idiopathic sterile cystitis. The bladder is angry and there's crud in the urine but no actual stones or whatnot.

Now you're on the hook for my next emergency question, ha!
Infection implies other organisms. Sterile infection is not a term I've ever heard.

Idiopathic sterile cystitis. The bladder is angry and there's crud in the urine but no actual stones or whatnot.

But.. but... but... that's inflammation, not infection. Lazy terminology. :)

I'm always up for a good ER question. Usually my answer is "stabilize and send to a real doctor like you," though, so beware. If I can't fix it with fluids/abx/pain meds/lasix, by jamming a tube/catheter/needle in the chest/abdomen/trachea, by suturing/splinting/bandaging it, or by cutting the body open and putting things back together.... I'm kinda lost.

At the risk of this being considered asking for medical advice, what do you do when you come across this? One vet wanted to culture the urine and put my cat on pred to hopefully increase water intake (it didn't), the other said he's not concerned. The former vet also said had I not been feeding Hill's already, he would have blocked by now. The latter vet said that since he's not crying out when he urinates and is concentrating fine, it probably isn't a problem.

At the risk of this being considered asking for medical advice, what do you do when you come across this? One vet wanted to culture the urine and put my cat on pred to hopefully increase water intake (it didn't), the other said he's not concerned. The former vet also said had I not been feeding Hill's already, he would have blocked by now. The latter vet said that since he's not crying out when he urinates and is concentrating fine, it probably isn't a problem.

With FIC? You'll see it constantly.

I usually say "go see a real doctor like TRH" if they aren't blocked and don't have an infection. Nothing wrong with culturing the urine, but it's going to be negative most likely. If they aren't blocked, I usually punt to the RDVM. That's not because I can't help the client, but because I try to support the GP/client relationship.

But treatment for FIC is basically environmental enrichment, encourage water consumption (canned diet, fresh-recycling water dish, etc), resolve any conflict between household cats, Feliway, that sort of thing.

The OSU has a great website (Indoor Pet Initiative) that I like to tell clients to go read... they always feel better if you give the Internetz stuff.

With FIC? You'll see it constantly.

I usually say "go see a real doctor like TRH" if they aren't blocked and don't have an infection. Nothing wrong with culturing the urine, but it's going to be negative most likely. If they aren't blocked, I usually punt to the RDVM. That's not because I can't help the client, but because I try to support the GP/client relationship.

But treatment for FLUTD is basically environmental enrichment, encourage water consumption (canned diet, fresh-recycling water dish, etc), resolve any conflict between household cats, Feliway, that sort of thing.

The OSU has a great website (Indoor Pet Initiative) that I like to tell clients to go read... they always feel better if you give the Internetz stuff.
Okay, that's what I've been doing anyways. Adding in wet food, slightly soaking his dry, etc. He isn't swayed by the running fountain I bought him. Would a bi-annual u/a be something I should keep up on?

SO's car took a dump on him (we knew it would) so now we're down to sharing what was formerly my personal car. That means he uses it to drive to work daily and I'm trusting the good graces of the CATA bus system. That also means our dog will be by herself most of the day. :(

Okay, that's what I've been doing anyways. Adding in wet food, slightly soaking his dry, etc. He isn't swayed by the running fountain I bought him. Would a bi-annual u/a be something I should keep up on?
there are all sorts of recommendations for FIC/FLUTD/whatever other name they gave it now. Talk to your vet, but things to bring up might include c/d multicare Stress diet (instead of just c/d) or Urinary s/o, glucosamine, crananidin. Feliway is probably a pretty good tool for these cats.

My best friend's brother just put on his facebook that he's better than my BFF because "she kills innocent little pigs in the name of science, and some day I will kill terrorists in the name of God."
:rage::rage::rage::rage::rage:

Dear karma gods,

When I said I wanted another patient, I didn't mean I wanted an emergency colic with an extremely nice owner who did everything right to treat him... who then goes to surgery and has a horrible colonic torsion with a huge rupture and has to be euthanized. Nope. Not really what I wanted.

thanks for that,
trilt

Last edited:
Get a third opinion from a vet you trust.
Can't say I know any in this area....I do know a recent grad who's practicing nearby but that's about it. I'll go ahead and see her. I wouldn't be so confused if I didn't get two completely opposite answers lol

It's three days into school and I'm having a progressively awful time falling asleep and staying asleep at night. I don't know why, because I'm not even stressed.

Last night it took me until midnight tossing and turning and I woke up several times, and had awful nightmares. It's hard to pay attention in class like this. :( I hope it stops.

Have you changed your activity level? Whenever I have issues with sleep, sometimes just getting in some exercise in the evening can help.

I can relate 100%. I had a ton of difficulty sleeping especially second and 3rd year. I'd wake up upwards of 10+ times a night and would never remember entering a dream state until around 6 AM which is close to when I would be waking up so I'd frequently disrupt REM sleep. And then I'd be falling asleep during things during the day, which isn't great now that I have rounds and surgeries to be attending.

I've been sleeping better now that clinics has started because I'm just so freakin exhausted it almost doesn't matter, but many nights I still don't sleep great. I exercise at least 3x a week (and hard) and have limited my caffeine intake.

I found that yoga sometimes helps me relax and fall asleep, but I don't do it as frequently as I should. I also find that sometimes just switching my position in bed helps. Like I'll end up with my head at the foot of the bed instead. I'm not really sure why that helps, but it's been pretty effective for me.

My former housemate also just reminded me of this computer program that I'm going to try to see if it helps since I'm usually on my laptop until right before bed. It's f.lux and it changes the colors/hues of your computer screen so that it's less of that blue light especially at night hours. My screen is now a weird yellowy/orange color. It's something else to consider if you're on your computer until the last minute.

My former housemate also just reminded me of this computer program that I'm going to try to see if it helps since I'm usually on my laptop until right before bed. It's f.lux and it changes the colors/hues of your computer screen so that it's less of that blue light especially at night hours. My screen is now a weird yellowy/orange color. It's something else to consider if you're on your computer until the last minute.
You can get a similar thing for your phone/tablet (its called Twilight if you have Android, I know there's an iPhone one but I can't remember the name).

My bf was really having trouble lately and between the stuff below he was able to get his sleep schedule back on track. The same stuff has worked for me in the past.
General:
1. Have a regular sleep and wake time
2. Create a calming bedtime routine (I read for about an hour)
3. Put away electronics an hour before you plan to fall asleep
4. Make sure your room is dark and cool
5. Cut down on caffeine, especially in the 8 hours before bed
6. Increase exercise, but make sure your exercise is more than 2 hours before you plan to go to bed

If you can't fall asleep:
1. Count backwards by 3's from 600
2. Listen to nature sounds or instrumental music
3. Try progressive muscle relaxation
4. Get up, go to a different room, and read a boring book until you get tired. Then try again.
5. If there is something on your mind that just won't stop bugging you write it down to get it out of your head. If it's a problem of some kind, write down a possible solution too. I tend to write to-do lists before bed so I'm not worried about all the stuff I need to do the next day.

Making sure you stay asleep is more difficult, but melatonin supplements helped my bf.

This is actually more my issue. I usually pass out pretty easily. It's actually staying asleep and sleeping well that's my issue.
Yeah. I think some of the stuff like cutting down on caffeine and increasing exercise, plus making sure your environment is dark and cool is supposed to help with that, but it is a more difficult problem to fix. I fall asleep within 15 minutes of turning out my light every night, even if I'm in the middle of reading something on my tablet, but lately I've been sleeping really light for some reason so I get woken up really easily. It's annoying when you're going to sleep and waking up at good times but feel like you haven't gotten any sleep.

You're not stressed? I am FREAKING out!! I'm not sleeping that well either right now. Most of it is because anytime I lay in bed, I instantly think "I'm sure 90% of my classmates are still studying, wtf am I doing getting in bed at 11PM?" Then I snap myself out of my almost-asleep zone, and it takes me 1-2 hours to get back to it.

It sounds like we have a lot of mental health resources here-might not be a bad idea to go ahead and take advantage of them! The guy did say they handle sleep disturbances.

In addition to the cool room thing, taking a hot shower right before bed and sleeping in a cool room is supposed to be a good combo. Something about dropping your body temperature.

You're not stressed? I am FREAKING out!! I'm not sleeping that well either right now. Most of it is because anytime I lay in bed, I instantly think "I'm sure 90% of my classmates are still studying, wtf am I doing getting in bed at 11PM?" Then I snap myself out of my almost-asleep zone, and it takes me 1-2 hours to get back to it.

It sounds like we have a lot of mental health resources here-might not be a bad idea to go ahead and take advantage of them! The guy did say they handle sleep disturbances.

In addition to the cool room thing, taking a hot shower right before bed and sleeping in a cool room is supposed to be a good combo. Something about dropping your body temperature.

But ugh wet hair (although I literally just did this...and shower most nights before I go to bed...). But as to the part about worrying about studying instead of sleeping, seriously just sleep. I started just going to bed when I didn't feel like studying anymore before exams and it made one hell of a difference. Plus, sleep becomes such an amazing and precious thing on clinics.

But ugh wet hair (although I literally just did this...and shower most nights before I go to bed...). But as to the part about worrying about studying instead of sleeping, seriously just sleep. I started just going to bed when I didn't feel like studying anymore before exams and it made one hell of a difference. Plus, sleep becomes such an amazing and precious thing on clinics.
I know, I know. It really is the best thing for anyone. I am just terrified of doing poorly. With me, if I do bad on one test, I tend to have a hard time making up for it due to my own self confidence plummeting.

I know, I know. It really is the best thing for anyone. I am just terrified of doing poorly. With me, if I do bad on one test, I tend to have a hard time making up for it due to my own self confidence plummeting.

Oh, I'm similar, so I totally understand that. But I swear the extra sleep with make the difference. It was definitely harder first year, but I realized later on, I just had to do what worked for me. First year was the only year it was questionable as to whether or not I was actually going to become a second year. Once I figured out to just focus on me (no group studying until I was ready, no watching TV while studying like the others in my house, sitting at an actual table, etc), I felt less anxious and stressed out prior to exams.

Oh, I'm similar, so I totally understand that. But I swear the extra sleep with make the difference. It was definitely harder first year, but I realized later on, I just had to do what worked for me. First year was the only year it was questionable as to whether or not I was actually going to become a second year. Once I figured out to just focus on me (no group studying until I was ready, no watching TV while studying like the others in my house, sitting at an actual table, etc), I felt less anxious and stressed out prior to exams.
Our faculty really pushes the group studying thing here. It was brought up several times during our orientation. It can be helpful with the right person/people, but it normally stresses me out when I'm getting things wrong or confused and everyone else seems on top of it. TBH, there was only one girl in my undergrad I could ever study with, especially for anatomy.

1,000% true.

I' currently just finished a rotation that basically counts as vacation because it only meets twice a week if you leave it unpaired. That means I've been sleeping 12 hours a night (probably like 8-10 realistically) because I can and before I become a zombie on large animal medicine.

Our faculty really pushes the group studying thing here. It was brought up several times during our orientation. It can be helpful with the right person/people, but it normally stresses me out when I'm getting things wrong or confused and everyone else seems on top of it. TBH, there was only one girl in my undergrad I could ever study with, especially for anatomy.

Yeah, I could only do it after I reviewed things a few times or was having a lot of difficulty with a particular concept. Otherwise I'd start panicking and it'd all go down hill from there. Hence the headphones and music so I couldn't hear people asking me questions until I was ready.

I' currently just finished a rotation that basically counts as vacation because it only meets twice a week if you leave it unpaired. That means I've been sleeping 12 hours a night (probably like 8-10 realistically) because I can and before I become a zombie on large animal medicine.

I have been on small animal surgery rotation for a month now. I have also been trying to recover from a concussion while on surgery rotation. I am very much looking forward to radiology, at least there isn't any paperwork or patient care and I will get a more regular 8-5 schedule.