RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Eh don't worry too much, if you want an internship you will get one whether you match or not. There are plenty of open spots including at good programs.
This is true. But I'd really like to go to one of my top 3. #selfish

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty worried about all of it, honestly. If I want to have any hope of being somewhat useful this summer, I'll have to do it now. However, that means driving 6 hours back to school, taking care of my pets, and doing daily school stuff one-armed. I'm not totally sure what the surgical plan was since theres two options: acromial process overgrowth or cuff tendonitis. I'd really hate to push the surgery to summer only to find out that I was accepted to the research program. Was he in quite a bite of pain after his surgery?

He thought he felt great until the nerve block wore off. The key is staying on top of pain meds and icing (obviously). We discovered early on that he couldn't open any twist bottles because it requires the tiniest movement in the shoulders. That bit us in the butt early on because I was at work and he couldn't get the bottle open so he missed a dose of pain meds. You use your shoulders for so many little movements that you don't think of. For what it's worth a couple years after the shoulder he shattered his wrist and he thought that surgery was significantly more painful :shrug:

He also had a slight bicep tendon tear in his shoulder that they repaired. I forgot about that ... so doubly whammy on his shoulder

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
That moment when your staff is 20/21 years old and they can't act like adults on a necessary level. Come on, guys. With how this semester is going for ResLife, the last thing we all need is for the staff to implode on itself. Let's stop the gossip train and disembark.

Reactions: 1 user
That moment when your staff is 20/21 years old and they can't act like adults on a necessary level. Come on, guys. With how this semester is going for ResLife, the last thing we all need is for the staff to implode on itself. Let's stop the gossip train and disembark.
The older I get the less adult like the 21'ers are getting....is that because I'm getting old, the 21'ers are growing up less mature or both?

Reactions: 2 users
He thought he felt great until the nerve block wore off. The key is staying on top of pain meds and icing (obviously). We discovered early on that he couldn't open any twist bottles because it requires the tiniest movement in the shoulders. That bit us in the butt early on because I was at work and he couldn't get the bottle open so he missed a dose of pain meds. You use your shoulders for so many little movements that you don't think of. For what it's worth a couple years after the shoulder he shattered his wrist and he thought that surgery was significantly more painful :shrug:

He also had a slight bicep tendon tear in his shoulder that they repaired. I forgot about that ... so doubly whammy on his shoulder
I guess I'm just concerned that if I have this done during school, I'll be depending on pain medications to get me through the day. Depending on what they give me, that may not be a good idea. Geez. Yeah, now I'm not so sure I could recover 6 hours away from my caretakers haha

Edit: Just heard that I didn't get that dream job. Feeling pretty low lately, it's been one blow after another.

Last edited:
I guess I'm just concerned that if I have this done during school, I'll be depending on pain medications to get me through the day. Depending on what they give me, that may not be a good idea. Geez. Yeah, now I'm not so sure I could recover 6 hours away from my caretakers haha

Edit: Just heard that I didn't get that dream job. Feeling pretty low lately, it's been one blow after another.

I would for sure plan on going nowhere for at least a few days after surgery. If I remember correctly he was sent home with norco and it made him vomit so they sent home ondansetron. When he had his wrist surgery they gave him an rx for norco and I told the doctor he needed something different since it caused vomiting the last time and made sure they noted it in his medical record. Oy, men. He had no recollection of the vomiting until I reminded him :p

Sorry about the job :(

You may not depend on it during school, but you should plan 1-2 weeks of downtime to have the surgery. My ortho told me that usually by the first 2 rechecks, his patients have a hard time even getting dressed to come in. Plus, you need to allow yourself to heal.

I would for sure plan on going nowhere for at least a few days after surgery. If I remember correctly he was sent home with norco and it made him vomit so they sent home ondansetron. When he had his wrist surgery they gave him an rx for norco and I told the doctor he needed something different since it caused vomiting the last time and made sure they noted it in his medical record. Oy, men. He had no recollection of the vomiting until I reminded him :p

Sorry about the job :(
You may not depend on it during school, but you should plan 1-2 weeks of downtime to have the surgery. My ortho told me that usually by the first 2 rechecks, his patients have a hard time even getting dressed to come in. Plus, you need to allow yourself to heal.
Thanks guys. Such a hard decision. Suffer during school for the chance to maybe do something this summer, wait until summer, or push it all the way until Christmas break (I don't think I can handle that though).

Thanks guys. Such a hard decision. Suffer during school for the chance to maybe do something this summer, wait until summer, or push it all the way until Christmas break (I don't think I can handle that though).

Agree 100% with dyachei. I vote early summer

Boyfriend is getting deployed in March, maybe for three months, and maybe for up to six months. Not like we get to see each other much as it is, me being in a different country 8 months out of the year and all. It'll significantly cut into the amount of time we can see each other over the summer, especially if I don't get to see him at all :(

Every single patient today was some horrible neuro problem, and every single one was euthanized due to just horrendous prognosis, not finances. well damn.

I had a SLAP repair during vet school (and survived) - feel free to PM me if you want to talk about logistics and recovery and things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I was going to finally see a myasthenia gravis case...tensilon test was negative. =(

Could still be myasthenia though.

I thought tensilon was no longer manufactured or something, no?

Actually, you know what's even more disappointing? When you have a rapidly progressive tetraparetic dog and you pluck off a tick (and apply tick preventative)... and it doesn't get better and you end up calling it likely idiopathic polyradiculoneuritis... and euthanize because owner didn't want to transport dog for ventilatory support. I so wanted to be a tick paralysis hero.

Last edited:
Lol my day...

Overslept, took a test that I missed Tuesday when I know I wasn't ready and could have moved it, grades just posted and I consequently failed said test, have a stupid sinus infection, had to sit at the doctor, got the biggest steroid shot I have ever seen, My butt really hurts now, and now I'm really, really, really tired and can barely stay awake to do mounds of work and write on my thesis that's due in a month. I'm really trying HARD to not get burnt out on undergrad but I'm so close to throwing everything up in the air and saying I'm done. So glad we have a break coming up, even though I'll have to be working the whole time since I'm supposed to be "resting" right now... A new concept to me.

Lol my day...

Overslept, took a test that I missed Tuesday when I know I wasn't ready and could have moved it, grades just posted and I consequently failed said test, have a stupid sinus infection, had to sit at the doctor, got the biggest steroid shot I have ever seen, My butt really hurts now, and now I'm really, really, really tired and can barely stay awake to do mounds of work and write on my thesis that's due in a month. I'm really trying HARD to not get burnt out on undergrad but I'm so close to throwing everything up in the air and saying I'm done. So glad we have a break coming up, even though I'll have to be working the whole time since I'm supposed to be "resting" right now... A new concept to me.

I think you should take at least tonight off. Give yourself a break. The few remaining hours of the night aren't going to make any difference. Go to bed "early", get some good sleep then start over tomorrow. Hope you feel better soon! :)

Lol my day...

I'm sorry you had a bad day Rocky :( summer is only 3 months away! Take a little break tomorrow. Eat some icecream, drink some wine, watch the office... Or whatever will help you relax! ❤️

I think you should take at least tonight off. Give yourself a break. The few remaining hours of the night aren't going to make any difference. Go to bed "early", get some good sleep then start over tomorrow. Hope you feel better soon! :)

I have two assignments due tonight, but once those are done I'm definitely going to sleep! Steroid shots usually wire me up, so i must be really needing the rest.

I'm sorry you had a bad day Rocky :( summer is only 3 months away! Take a little break tomorrow. Eat some icecream, drink some wine, watch the office... Or whatever will help you relax! ❤️

Already had my Blue Bell... Gosh I don't know what I did when it was on recall.

Thanks guys :) I'm on a pretty heavy antibiotic regimen and I should feel a LOT better by tomorrow. hopefully.

Actually, you know what's even more disappointing? When you have a rapidly progressive tetraparetic dog and you pluck off a tick (and apply tick preventative)... and it doesn't get better and you end up calling it likely idiopathic polyradiculoneuritis... and euthanize because owner didn't want to transport dog for ventilatory support. I so wanted to be a tick paralysis hero.

Yeah, I'm sort of worried it may be going that way I think. Young dog. Financial concerns. No ticks found nor have I heard about any falling off after application of Advantix.

And not sure on the tensilon manufacturing bit, but true on it still possibly being myasthenia. Serology was submitted for the ab's to the AChR though just in case. I just was really hoping to see one actually work.

Rant for the day: 2/15 is taking way too long to get here. I'm having all the anxieties.

I've already been working on my backup plans. I applied to NASA's astronaut program and have been really perfecting my Splatoon game for e-sports as well.

Reactions: 3 users
In that beginning of semester funk. Minus my domestic animal dissection class, every class I'm in is not that challenging (many of them almost embarrassingly easy). I know it's a silly thing to complain about, especially since vet school will give me more difficult classes than anyone could possibly want, but I really dislike not being pushed intellectually by course material so I'm just very frustrated right now. :shrug:

Speaking as an RA, I really have to say that RAs are very talented at running the rumor mill/gossip train.

Also, acting like responsible adults in a work setting? Never! :p

The older I get the less adult like the 21'ers are getting....is that because I'm getting old, the 21'ers are growing up less mature or both?

Speaking as an RA, I really have to say that RAs are very talented at running the rumor mill/gossip train.

Also, acting like responsible adults in a work setting? Never! :p

The irritating thing is that they're talking about each other in a negative way. So far, in my building alone, we've had an attempted suicide, two fights, two alcohol busts, a drug dealing bust, vandalism, and a couple other things, on top of having the anniversary of the successful suicide from last year. All four other buildings have had a similar string of crazy in just the last four weeks. I understand that they're not "adult adults" yet, but there's a point where you look at what's going on around you and see that it's time to grow up. If it were a normal semester, it wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal. But because of how crazy it is, it's definitely time to be a team. I'm just glad one of them came to me so we can get it fixed.

The irritating thing is that they're talking about each other in a negative way. So far, in my building alone, we've had an attempted suicide, two fights, two alcohol busts, a drug dealing bust, vandalism, and a couple other things, on top of having the anniversary of the successful suicide from last year. All four other buildings have had a similar string of crazy in just the last four weeks. I understand that they're not "adult adults" yet, but there's a point where you look at what's going on around you and see that it's time to grow up. If it were a normal semester, it wouldn't be nearly as big of a deal. But because of how crazy it is, it's definitely time to be a team. I'm just glad one of them came to me so we can get it fixed.
Wow, that's terrible. And from a small school too, right? MSU had it's share of serious drama and deaths, but I would expect that from a much larger student body. Then again, vandalism and theft was something that was part of 'MSU life' so to speak. It was never a surprise to hear that several dorms on one floor would be wiped of anything valuable because one door was leeft unlocked (I lived in a building with connecting bathrooms). I was never an RA though, so I'm sure a lot of stuff was kept under wraps.

I never got a class ring in high school because I thought it was pointless. I decided against getting a class ring for my undergrad because I thought I would just get one for vet school. Well, I realized that the school I will be attending doesn't really do class rings, and the more I think about how much I love my undergraduate institution, the more I really want one. Rant: I just saw one at a jewelry store that I absolutely LOVED, but it's 2k. Can't really justify that to myself :(

I never got a class ring in high school because I thought it was pointless. I decided against getting a class ring for my undergrad because I thought I would just get one for vet school. Well, I realized that the school I will be attending doesn't really do class rings, and the more I think about how much I love my undergraduate institution, the more I really want one. Rant: I just saw one at a jewelry store that I absolutely LOVED, but it's 2k. Can't really justify that to myself :(
Getting a high school class ring is one of my life's regrets, lol. I wore it for a bit, but suddenly I realized that I want nothing to do with my high school (or the majority of my classmates). I don't even know if I could pawn it for anything.

Have you looked at Etsy rings? Some are pretty expensive, but there are quite a few beautiful ones I've found that don't run into the thousands.

Wow, that's terrible. And from a small school too, right? MSU had it's share of serious drama and deaths, but I would expect that from a much larger student body. Then again, vandalism and theft was something that was part of 'MSU life' so to speak. It was never a surprise to hear that several dorms on one floor would be wiped of anything valuable because one door was leeft unlocked (I lived in a building with connecting bathrooms). I was never an RA though, so I'm sure a lot of stuff was kept under wraps.

Yeah, we only have 970 kids that live on campus. My building has been sitting pretty at around 275-280 for the last few weeks. It's become a running joke that I can't take time off because everything happens when I leave (except for the attempted suicide, thank god; I was here for that one). Even last night I was at a presentation and a drug search went down resulting in an arrest and expulsion that my boss's boss took care of. So I'm dreading the memos I'll have when I go on my five day road trip to Illinois from Denver.

Came to New York City for my Glasgow interview. Planned on leaving tonight, but... lo and behold, our flight from LGA to Midway is delayed. Not that big an issue, I guess, but by the time we'd make it there, our second flight to MCI would have already left, and there's no more for the night. Waited 40 minutes in line for the check-in desk to have the airline reschedule the flights because apparently we couldn't do it over the phone. And then we had to plan a last-minute shuttle ride to a nearby hotel and pay $159 (which is apparently a discounted rate!) for the night. Gaaaaaah. :arghh: Hopefully there's no problems tomorrow.

Getting a high school class ring is one of my life's regrets, lol. I wore it for a bit, but suddenly I realized that I want nothing to do with my high school (or the majority of my classmates). I don't even know if I could pawn it for anything.

Have you looked at Etsy rings? Some are pretty expensive, but there are quite a few beautiful ones I've found that don't run into the thousands.

You could sell it for gold (if it's gold) for probably $30 ish. If the stone were real, that could help, but the cut is usually too specific.

I bought (or really, my parents bought) my class ring from a local jewelry store when I was a freshman. I wore it all the way through HS that way, and a bit into college. I also wore my boyfriend's ring (middle finger, with pipe cleaners around so it fit right) junior year into college. I stopped wearing either one when I got a better ring to wear.

He never wore his ring tho - good thing I got some use out of it.

You could sell it for gold (if it's gold) for probably $30 ish. If the stone were real, that could help, but the cut is usually too specific.

I bought (or really, my parents bought) my class ring from a local jewelry store when I was a freshman. I wore it all the way through HS that way, and a bit into college. I also wore my boyfriend's ring (middle finger, with pipe cleaners around so it fit right) junior year into college. I stopped wearing either one when I got a better ring to wear.

He never wore his ring tho - good thing I got some use out of it.
I just wish I would have gotten the more decorative HS rings...the pretty ones that look like a normal ring but might have your name/HS engraved on the band somewhere. Not the clunky one with the side panel design things I got. And it's not even gold...I'm pretty sure it's a waste of $150 or whatever I paid.

I haven't! I should check that out. I only really seriously started looking this week. If I bought one through the school, I couldn't get one until May and I would have to do the school's ring ceremony (which I would really rather not do). Since I waited so long, I'll be getting mine as an almost graduating 5th year senior, whereas most student get theirs junior year. That's why I kinda wanted to see what other places had to offer... It's just so expensive!

I did a housecall euthanasia today. Except that the cat was fractious there and we ended up at the hospital to do it. I had the catheter in twice at the house and the cat pulled each out. In the hospital? One stick and done and the cat hardly moved.

I just wish I could have given them the death they wanted.

I did a housecall euthanasia today. Except that the cat was fractious there and we ended up at the hospital to do it. I had the catheter in twice at the house and the cat pulled each out. In the hospital? One stick and done and the cat hardly moved.

I just wish I could have given them the death they wanted.

IM sedation?
I hate doing house call euths since I don't have the luxury of a tech with me most of the time. Starting doing IM premeds and it's made life easier (no pun intended). Most of the time I can get an injection somewhere into a kitty, even if it's through a towel. Then I don't need eight extra hands for IVC placement.

IM sedation?
I hate doing house call euths since I don't have the luxury of a tech with me most of the time. Starting doing IM premeds and it's made life easier (no pun intended). Most of the time I can get an injection somewhere into a kitty, even if it's through a towel. Then I don't need eight extra hands for IVC placement.
I had a tech. But the cat was trying to escape with everything she had and mom said she's always like that. Gonna start doing im sedation more often

Plenty of things I could rant about right now, but I think I'll just rant about something I heard yesterday that I'm still in shock about. It'll be fun to talk about.

A friend told me yesterday about a cheating scandal that happened at my undergrad in a chemistry class. Apparently kids were talking during the final. I've taken a class or two (sarcasm--very many) with this professer and I KNOW that they leave the room, but the office is literally right next door. Like, how dumb could you be? You know what's worse? They got caught, were sent to the dean, but somehow were still allowed to pass the class. Even more vomit-inducing, I know exactly who they are and yesterday one of them was bragging about getting a 4.0 last semester. Like, they didn't at least get a downgraded final? People have seen them cheat on other classes, they never get in trouble, they're all pre-professional...

:bang:

That's crazy for a class ring. I got both hs and undergrad ones but went with the cheapest options, they were about $300 each. I wore my hs one pretty much every day for 4 years. My undergrad one actually fits better and i would wear it more often but my skin reacts stupidly to metal these days.

That's crazy for a class ring. I got both hs and undergrad ones but went with the cheapest options, they were about $300 each. I wore my hs one pretty much every day for 4 years. My undergrad one actually fits better and i would wear it more often but my skin reacts stupidly to metal these days.

The "official" class ring sold by the school is $650, but it's not customizable. They can ingrave the inside, but you don't get your class year, name, college, or anything on it. Plus, it's ginormous. The one that I saw would have to be custom made to be small enough for my tiny hands (I literally have the same sized hands as an 8th grader). They use white gold and diamonds. I'm going to call to tomorrow to see if they could do crystal zirconia and silver instead and see how much cheaper that would be since I can't even tell the difference anyways. I really think I would wear it every day for a loooong time, or I wouldn't consider getting one!

Came to New York City for my Glasgow interview. Planned on leaving tonight, but... lo and behold, our flight from LGA to Midway is delayed. Not that big an issue, I guess, but by the time we'd make it there, our second flight to MCI would have already left, and there's no more for the night. Waited 40 minutes in line for the check-in desk to have the airline reschedule the flights because apparently we couldn't do it over the phone. And then we had to plan a last-minute shuttle ride to a nearby hotel and pay $159 (which is apparently a discounted rate!) for the night. Gaaaaaah. :arghh: Hopefully there's no problems tomorrow.

Hope the interview went well!

The "official" class ring sold by the school is $650, but it's not customizable. They can ingrave the inside, but you don't get your class year, name, college, or anything on it. Plus, it's ginormous. The one that I saw would have to be custom made to be small enough for my tiny hands (I literally have the same sized hands as an 8th grader). They use white gold and diamonds. I'm going to call to tomorrow to see if they could do crystal zirconia and silver instead and see how much cheaper that would be since I can't even tell the difference anyways. I really think I would wear it every day for a loooong time, or I wouldn't consider getting one!
Oh man, that sucks. I understand the tiny hand struggle. My ring size is 4.5. Both of mine are princess style, so they look like the giant rings but they're very small. I hope they're able to customize it for you!

Oh man, that sucks. I understand the tiny hand struggle. My ring size is 4.5. Both of mine are princess style, so they look like the giant rings but they're very small. I hope they're able to customize it for you!

Thanks WZ! I'll have to see what they can do.

However, my dog had a small tumor removal and dental today so I just paid for that. I also did a full panel of bloodwork since she will be 9 this year and she was due for her yearly bloodwork anyways.. The vet just called and told me that there was something wrong and he needed to do some reading to see what could be causing her "off" levels. He has no idea what could be causing it. So now of course I'm freaking out about that and will probably have to hold off on a ring just in case I'll be spending more money on figuring out what's wrong with my baby :(

We've got a small discount/promotion going for dental month on dental products and services, but most of our CET products are on back order, so... o_O

Pretty sure we still have it here. That's our back up plan if our neuromuscular blockers don't wear off soon enough after paralyzing animals during surgery. I don't know that our pharmacy stocks other cholinergics.

I'm sure I will appreciate this ten years from now when i still get carded.... But I just got asked if I was over fifteen years old when I sat down on the airplane and my seat was in the exit row. I'm a month and a half from being 22.

I'm sure I will appreciate this ten years from now when i still get carded.... But I just got asked if I was over fifteen years old when I sat down on the airplane and my seat was in the exit row. I'm a month and a half from being 22.
I know that feel.

Reactions: 3 users
I also feel ya. Last year I was carded buying a rated M video game and the guy at the register made it a point to say that "there's no way you're older than 16!" Then he got all wide-eyed when he looked at my ID and was like "WHOA you're old enough to buy alcohol???"

:lame: I was not amused.

My favorite is that I'm apparently "too young" to be a vet.
I'm curious, what do you normally say when you are told this? Just because I have a nagging feeling that saying will be in my future as well :p