RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm curious, what do you normally say when you are told this?
"Thank you. So tell me about Fluffy's cough..."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Today I took a call at the clinic from a woman with a 3 yr old pit bull who she's had all its life. She is worried that it is going to suddenly turn vicious because of everything she hears about them. I hate stereotypes.

I'm curious, what do you normally say when you are told this? Just because I have a nagging feeling that saying will be in my future as well :p
I usually thank them and assure them I've been in practice for years and how can I help them today? Usually once I start explaining some mechanism or another for the owner it doesn't come up again

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Sometimes I wonder what the heck I'm still doing in clinical practice. Very high strung GSD that I sedated. He bit my tech (and drew blood) and we needed to get 2 drops of blood for a heartworm test. it took 2 techs and myself on the ground with this guy (going very slowly) to be able to get it. And now every single joint hurts.

Today I took a call at the clinic from a woman with a 3 yr old pit bull who she's had all its life. She is worried that it is going to suddenly turn vicious because of everything she hears about them. I hate stereotypes.
My roomie just adopted a sweet pittie. I sent a Snapchat to my mom and got "Oh my God, is that a pitbull?!" back. She of all people should know stereotypes aren't always true. We have a stereotypical sweet breed, and our dog can be pretty scary. I've just learned by now not to grab her by the collar :rolleyes:

My roomie just adopted a sweet pittie. I sent a Snapchat to my mom and got "Oh my God, is that a pitbull?!" back. She of all people should know stereotypes aren't always true. We have a stereotypical sweet breed, and our dog can be pretty scary. I've just learned by now not to grab her by the collar :rolleyes:

My mom finally got over the whole pit bull thing. She went to help walk dogs with a friend who volunteers at the shelter and took one out to walk who just wanted to give kisses and cuddle. Now she's all for them. My bf's father has moved more this way now too because he's a dog walker at a local shelter. I'm just so glad I won't have to battle with her later on cause I plan on rescuing a pitty at some point...probably when I have a yard.

Dear client,
If you tell any of my staff one more time that we gave your pet disease, you will be fired. Not only is this incredibly rude, but why would you want to come here if you really believe that?! Also, I wouldn't do that as we would prefer to not deal with you as often.

Sincerely,
Vet that is not amused by casual malpractice claims

Last edited:
And meanwhile I'm the girl who, when 18 and working at Culvers, had coworkers guess that I was 30 :yeahright:
:eek::hungry:

I am going to miss Culver's so much when I move back to the east coast after graduation. Mmmmm....butter burgers...frozen custard...crinkle fries...might have to go there for dinner

Reactions: 1 users
The backstory: A while back we found a stray dog walking down the road. She was limping because her paw pads were burned from the hot asphalt. She was shy but still very sweet. I posted flyers and posted on a lost and found site for my local city. A weird turn of events happened where the owner commented with her phone number and then deleted the comment... luckily, the administrator was able to catch the phone number and we called. The girl said she wouldn't be able to pick up her dog until the next day because she was busy! WTF???? At this point, it had been about a week that we had the dog.

Of course she blocked our number and refused to answer any calls. I called from other numbers where she would answer and proceed to hang up.

This obviously was extremely frustrating because we already have 5 dogs and getting her to adjust to them was a freaking feat in itself.

Now: So we have had her for about 6 months and it is had been a really hard 6 months. She had such severe separation anxiety. She bends the bars of the crate, salivates everywhere, shreds anything in the vicinity (towels underneath to soak up the saliva) and overall is in a shere panic. I bought a camera to check in on her and she doesn't rest. EVER. Constantly howling, barking, foaming and salivating at the mouth and pacing. We have had her on prozac, xanax and composure and used thundershirts and tried basically everything.

I'm so angry that these *****ic people can just go on living their lives pretending that they didn't just abandon their dog to us. I stalk them on facebook and it makes me so angry. The best home for her doesn't exist and if it did, that means I have to give her up and that breaks my heart. It just sucks.

The backstory: A while back we found a stray dog walking down the road. She was limping because her paw pads were burned from the hot asphalt. She was shy but still very sweet. I posted flyers and posted on a lost and found site for my local city. A weird turn of events happened where the owner commented with her phone number and then deleted the comment... luckily, the administrator was able to catch the phone number and we called. The girl said she wouldn't be able to pick up her dog until the next day because she was busy! WTF???? At this point, it had been about a week that we had the dog.

Of course she blocked our number and refused to answer any calls. I called from other numbers where she would answer and proceed to hang up.

This obviously was extremely frustrating because we already have 5 dogs and getting her to adjust to them was a freaking feat in itself.

Now: So we have had her for about 6 months and it is had been a really hard 6 months. She had such severe separation anxiety. She bends the bars of the crate, salivates everywhere, shreds anything in the vicinity (towels underneath to soak up the saliva) and overall is in a shere panic. I bought a camera to check in on her and she doesn't rest. EVER. Constantly howling, barking, foaming and salivating at the mouth and pacing. We have had her on prozac, xanax and composure and used thundershirts and tried basically everything.

I'm so angry that these *****ic people can just go on living their lives pretending that they didn't just abandon their dog to us. I stalk them on facebook and it makes me so angry. The best home for her doesn't exist and if it did, that means I have to give her up and that breaks my heart. It just sucks.

Have you tried not crating her? Some dogs are worse because they also have confinement anxiety? I know it's probably not the easiest thing to do if you have other animals and worry about interactions but it may help.

And I'm sorry you're having to deal with all of this.

Have you tried not crating her? Some dogs are worse because they also have confinement anxiety? I know it's probably not the easiest thing to do if you have other animals and worry about interactions but it may help.

And I'm sorry you're having to deal with all of this.

Hi orca2011, we actually have tried leaving her out with the other dogs (there is one where they just don't always get along so we crated him) a few times and she just chews up all the blinds in the house. We actually took off all the blinds and she then resorted to chewing up the rugs. Even though she doesn't actually ingest any of it, I worry too much about foreign bodies to leave her out. She actually likes her crate because she gets frozen peanut butter kongs and is fed in there, but as soon as she heres the door shut it all goes to crap. :(

I'm sure I will appreciate this ten years from now when i still get carded.... But I just got asked if I was over fifteen years old when I sat down on the airplane and my seat was in the exit row. I'm a month and a half from being 22.

Lol a few weeks ago when I went to go buy a lotto ticket for the 1.5 billion jackpot, the clerk was like, "you have to be 18 to play." It's flattering now that I'm 30.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sure I will appreciate this ten years from now when i still get carded.... But I just got asked if I was over fifteen years old when I sat down on the airplane and my seat was in the exit row. I'm a month and a half from being 22.
I'll be 24 in June, and I got carded the other day buying compressed air for cleaning my laptop keyboard. :rolleyes: My boyfriend who's 26 was with me and the cashier asked for his ID too, so he had to run out to the car and get it. He does have a baby face, and I didn't say anything to the cashier because I know she was just doing her job, but I wanted to be like "seriously??? He has gray hairs!"

I got carded at the piercing place. The legal age is 16. I'm 28. Also, I'm taking our tech's daughter to see Deadpool next week because she needs someone over 17 (and duh, I want to see it too). Better have my ID ready for that too... If I go places in my work clothes, they usually don't card me. If I'm in my causal clothes, they usually do.

I got carded going into a rated R movie about 3ish years ago... I would have been 23ish... I was WITH my family, including my parents. I don't need to be of age to see a movie when my parents are present. It was some young kid who did the carding though, I don't think he really understood the rules behind that whole rated R movie age thing.

Just saw a video that was shared by a friend on facebook that is anti-dairy industry and made me want to through my computer out the window because of how biased it is and the use of inflammatory language. Also, pretty sure clips in the video were from PETA or something.

I hate how people just share crap like that without actually researching.

Just saw a video that was shared by a friend on facebook that is anti-dairy industry and made me want to through my computer out the window because of how biased it is and the use of inflammatory language. Also, pretty sure clips in the video were from PETA or something.

I hate how people just share crap like that without actually researching.
Is it the one with the girl explaining the dairy industry "in under 5 minutes?"

Came across my feed last night (thankfully, it was in the form of someone eye-rolling about it). I was only slightly offended that this girl says cows are "raped" and "emotionally and sexually exploited" for the dairy industry. I will say that not everything was entirely false...I have witnessed new mommas cry for a few days after the calf is taken away. Most of it was definitely garbage, though.

Although the video that autoplayed next was traumatizing...it was footage of dairy cows/calves being beaten. Out of context or not, I almost insta-vomit anytime I accidentally come across that stuff.

Came across my feed last night (thankfully, it was in the form of someone eye-rolling about it). I was only slightly offended that this girl says cows are "raped" and "emotionally and sexually exploited" for the dairy industry. I will say that not everything was entirely false...I have witnessed new mommas cry for a few days after the calf is taken away. Most of it was definitely garbage, though.

Although the video that autoplayed next was traumatizing...it was footage of dairy cows/calves being beaten. Out of context or not, I almost insta-vomit anytime I accidentally come across that stuff.

Oh I'm sure some do (I haven't personally witnessed this since I haven't been around them enough), but it was more the language that upset me and the way the clips were used.

Oh I'm sure some do (I haven't personally witnessed this since I haven't been around them enough), but it was more the language that upset me and the way the clips were used.
Oh definitely. Yeah, let's not use words associated with heinous crimes against mostly women and children in order for you to convince people that dairy cows are tortured. :yeahright:

I'll be 24 in June, and I got carded the other day buying compressed air for cleaning my laptop keyboard. :rolleyes: My boyfriend who's 26 was with me and the cashier asked for his ID too, so he had to run out to the car and get it. He does have a baby face, and I didn't say anything to the cashier because I know she was just doing her job, but I wanted to be like "seriously??? He has gray hairs!"

My dad got carded at TGI Friday's once a few years ago. He was almost 60 at the time and he said to the waiter, "Are you joking? Do I look like I'm under 21 to you?". Great policy they had there, huh. :laugh:

A few years ago, I went to the grocery store with my husband, who is 5 years older than me and who looks his age. I look my age, too, and I don't get carded very often, really. I was probably 25-26 at the time and wearing my engagement ring. We had gotten some beer and a few other things, and it was later in the night. He took out his ID at the register, and while the cashier was looking at it, I got mine out, too, since they almost always asked for both at this place. The lady was all confused, but she grabbed my ID anyway, and then said, "....oh. I thought you were his daughter."

I guess it's great that this supermarket allows its workers to trip on acid on the clock.

Ugh. Was cleaning out the shed- prev owner left all sorts of crap there and I wanted to finally start clean up. Look over and my older dog is in the corner under a shelf eating something. Shoo her away and find rat bait crumbs. UGH.

Not what I wanted to deal with. We did the puking, we did the charcoal, the anti-emetics and antacids. Now for a month of Vit K. And if all of that wasn't bad enough? Apparently I missed a pile of puke during operation clean up. So now I may have to treat the puppy too since she may have snuck a bite. At least the big dog stayed in the house so I don't have to worry about him.

Ugh. Was cleaning out the shed- prev owner left all sorts of crap there and I wanted to finally start clean up. Look over and my older dog is in the corner under a shelf eating something. Shoo her away and find rat bait crumbs. UGH.

Not what I wanted to deal with. We did the puking, we did the charcoal, the anti-emetics and antacids. Now for a month of Vit K. And if all of that wasn't bad enough? Apparently I missed a pile of puke during operation clean up. So now I may have to treat the puppy too since she may have snuck a bite. At least the big dog stayed in the house so I don't have to worry about him.
:lame:

Came across my feed last night (thankfully, it was in the form of someone eye-rolling about it).
I really wish people would not do that....even though they mean to educate or express disapproval of an organization, they're still actively SHARING/promoting the link or video in question (thereby contributing to wider promotion->more pageviews->sometimes, more monetary gain for the site). I see it a lot with people sharing PETA articles/vids to critique them but it's also become a real problem in some other cases--one going on right now, some radical MRA-type website known for being "pro-rape" had its pageviews increase dramatically, only because so many people who meant well were directly linking the offensive articles everywhere. By all means people should point out what's wrong, but please don't do it by sharing the offending goods, because whether you're sharing out of agreement or not, It still equals promotion for the site! I wanted so badly to say this when someone shared some PETA2 article to mock it...okay, siderant over :p

I really wish people would not do that....even though they mean to educate or express disapproval of an organization, they're still actively SHARING/promoting the link or video in question (thereby contributing to wider promotion->more pageviews->sometimes, more monetary gain for the site). I see it a lot with people sharing PETA articles/vids to critique them but it's also become a real problem in some other cases--one going on right now, some radical MRA-type website known for being "pro-rape" had its pageviews increase dramatically, only because so many people who meant well were directly linking the offensive articles everywhere. By all means people should point out what's wrong, but please don't do it by sharing the offending goods, because whether you're sharing out of agreement or not, It still equals promotion for the site! I wanted so badly to say this when someone shared some PETA2 article to mock it...okay, siderant over :p
That's an excellent point, seriously. It also offers more exposure to those who don't necessarily do their own research and take things at face value

Omg! This reminds me of a forensic files I saw once.. A guy got blown to shreds because the previous owner left an active hand grenade in the shed. The new owner apparently thought it was a toy and pulled the pin. I'm sorry that happened! I hope all your babies are okay.

Hi orca2011, we actually have tried leaving her out with the other dogs (there is one where they just don't always get along so we crated him) a few times and she just chews up all the blinds in the house. We actually took off all the blinds and she then resorted to chewing up the rugs. Even though she doesn't actually ingest any of it, I worry too much about foreign bodies to leave her out. She actually likes her crate because she gets frozen peanut butter kongs and is fed in there, but as soon as she heres the door shut it all goes to crap. :(
Have you tried confining her in a playpen instead of a crate? Kind of depends on her size I guess, I don't know how tall they make those things. That would give you a little more space too so you could maybe put all of her food in kongs and that might keep her occupied longer. Sorry you're having to deal with all of that :(

I'm very sorry you have had this dog dumped on you, however, if she is really that anxious, it doesn't sound as if her quality of life is that great. If she is never resting, constantly howling, barking, etc, that isn't fun. And it affects your quality of life as well as those who live with you. Sounds like a behaviorist is really needed here to see if there is anything that can be done to reduce her anxiety outside of medications. And I know it sounds horrible, but having a dog put down for severe behavioral issues that greatly impact their qualify of life and yours, isn't a bad thing. I know you probably aren't at that point, but if you have ever thought of it, it isn't bad. I wish you the best in figuring out how to deal with her.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Never ever ever give your dog a marrow bone, it will get stuck on its jaw and you will have to pay $400 for the vet to put it under anesthesia and saw the bone off with a dremel. And definitely don't wait 3 hours to bring the dog in because you're embarrassed. We don't like using general anesthesia at 6pm.

Major props to one of our local ER vets though, who gave us the idea to use the dremel.

Never ever ever give your dog a marrow bone, it will get stuck on its jaw and you will have to pay $400 for the vet to put it under anesthesia and saw the bone off with a dremel. And definitely don't wait 3 hours to bring the dog in because you're embarrassed. We don't like using general anesthesia at 6pm.

Major props to one of our local ER vets though, who gave us the idea to use the dremel.

This is my favorite emergency! Our ER vet started using this tool we found in the clinic that looks kind of like horse hoof nippers to snap the bone and get these off. We are 3 for 3 in getting them off without any sedation or anesthesia before the owners even finish filling out the paperwork. I got one to slip off by hand once...that was a lot more work. I wouldn't have thought of a dremel, that's a good idea.

Last edited:
This is my favorite emergency! Our ER vet started using this tool we found in the clinic that looks kind of like horse hoof nippers to snap the bone and get these off. We are 3 for 3 in getting them off without any sedation or anesthesia before the owners even finish filling out the paperwork. I got one to slip off by hand before we figured out how well our tool works...that was a lot more work. I wouldn't have thought of a dremel.
That would have been convenient. Originally we tried just sedation but the dog's month was so swollen we couldn't pull it off, and the dremel took forever so we had to do anesthesia to keep her still long enough.

That would have been convenient. Originally we tried just sedation but the dog's month was so swollen we couldn't pull it off, and the dremel took forever so we had to do anesthesia to keep her still long enough.
Yeah, I can only imagine the swelling since they waited so long. Sounds like you all did a good job!

Have you tried confining her in a playpen instead of a crate? Kind of depends on her size I guess, I don't know how tall they make those things. That would give you a little more space too so you could maybe put all of her food in kongs and that might keep her occupied longer. Sorry you're having to deal with all of that :(
Unfortunately she can jump fences so a play pen wouldn't work. :( Thank you for responding. It can be hard to find support for these things since my family and I are often too frustrated to even vent to each other

I'm very sorry you have had this dog dumped on you, however, if she is really that anxious, it doesn't sound as if her quality of life is that great. If she is never resting, constantly howling, barking, etc, that isn't fun. And it affects your quality of life as well as those who live with you. Sounds like a behaviorist is really needed here to see if there is anything that can be done to reduce her anxiety outside of medications. And I know it sound horrible, but having a dog put down for severe behavioral issues that greatly impact their qualify of life and yours, isn't a bad thing. I know you probably aren't at that point, but if you have ever thought of it, it isn't bad. I wish you the best in figuring out show to deal with her.
I have thought about it. I'm making an appointment with one of the board certified behaviorists at my in state vet school so hopefully they can help. Its just hard when she is having fun chasing lizards in the sun and wagging her tail wanting to snuggle and play.

I have thought about it. I'm making an appointment with one of the board certified behaviorists at my in state vet school so hopefully they can help. Its just hard when she is having fun chasing lizards in the sun and wagging her tail wanting to snuggle and play.

Yeah, it isn't easy, but sometimes it is nice to hear someone else say that option isn't bad. I hope the visit with the behaviorist goes well.

I was super excited to order a ton of boneless wings with garlic parm sauce from BWW's to aid in my studying, but I couldn't figure out why their website was crashing. Oh yeah. Super Bowl.

I was super excited to order a ton of boneless wings with garlic parm sauce from BWW's to aid in my studying, but I couldn't figure out why their website was crashing. Oh yeah. Super Bowl.
Lol the super bowl is today? huh. It's interesting how many things escape my notice when I'm in exam mode.

Lol the super bowl is today? huh. It's interesting how many things escape my notice when I'm in exam mode.
I feel ya. Not that I'm ever interested in the game....I'm all about the food :love:

Totally having a party at my house for it tonight since we have tomorrow off :) Thanks Grenada's Independence Day!

Yeah, it isn't easy, but sometimes it is nice to hear someone else say that option isn't bad. I hope the visit with the behaviorist goes well.
Thank you DVMDream, I appreciate it :)

Similar story - when I was searching for my ID to show the TSA agent at the airport, he told me "don't worry you don't need it if you're under 18." Thanks, but I'm 21... Like you said, I'll appreciate things like that when I'm a little older, but for now I would prefer not to look 17!

My sister was pregnant with her son, at 23/24 years of age. And she got some rude ass comment about "being pregnant when she is barely out of high school and still living with her parents"...
She responded with, "I appreciate your concern about myself and my baby even though it is none of your business, but perhaps you should know that I am 24 years old, just finished 4 years in the military and I haven't lived with my parents since I was 18. Have any other comments you would like to make?"

She said the look on that person's face was absolutely amazing.

Reactions: 6 users
My rabbit destroyed my ice pack/cold compress. I didn't realize it, but my roomie's dog had knocked it off a table and into reach of my rabbit.

Thankfully, he didn't eat a lot (I called poison control and he is just fine thankfully, but I was panicking for sure). However, without my ice, I won't be falling asleep anytime soon unless I go and get my frozen broccoli :p

I found a flea today at work. It was by me so I assume it came off of me but I'm not sure where it came from. It's possible my rabbit has picked up a flea or two at my parents' house but I groom her regularly and have never seen any. I know the previous renter had a cat, so I'm kind of hoping my upstairs carpet isn't filled with fleas and larvae (I haven't seen any in my condo). That would be gross.

I'm hoping it was just a random event and it came off of someone else. Whatever the origin, I spent the majority of my day feeling itchy. :(

So this is us. Again.
515890.jpg