Religion among Premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've seen a couple episodes (I have little cousins) it seems good to me in regards to positive role models for young girls.

I think grown men watching it is a little weird though.
Oh, I concur. But, as I've stated before in similar topics, the existence of bronies has been discussed ad nauseam and really shouldn't surprise anyone anymore. If you would like to learn more about it, I could give you a link to a fantastic fan made documentary discussing the origins as well as the influences of the show and the fandom.

Members don't see this ad.

Being politically correct in the surgeon's room - first priority. So what?

I just finished having a lil argument with my mom about religion (lol it's Sunday). I have a question. For you guys who grew up with strict religious parents, how did you guys make your parent's accept your beliefs? You know you are now an atheist or agnostic. I believe in medicine and I don't like to thank god on every little thing in life. I took the father role with my brothers since I was about 17 and today my mom got mad at me for not taking my lil brothers to church (which happens every week). I didn't take them because I don't like going to mass and I guess my brothers are following my footsteps and they don't want to go anymore.
BTW my father is not dead, he is always working and he is hardly around. =/

Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished having a lil argument with my mom about religion (lol it's Sunday). I have a question. For you guys who grew up with strict religious parents, how did you guys make your parent's accept your beliefs? You know you are now an atheist or agnostic. I believe in medicine and I don't like to thank god on every little thing in life. I took the father role with my brothers since I was about 17 and today my mom got mad at me for not taking my lil brothers to church (which happens every week). I didn't take them because I don't like going to mass and I guess my brothers are following my footsteps and they don't want to go anymore.
I just ignore it. I know this isn't the route most people would take, but if my parents are happy being religious, then who am I to shake their faith? Ignorance is bliss and as they get older and sicker, I want them to be happy in their beliefs of after-life. I don't live at home and when I am, I just go to church to make them happy and almost as a tradition. I see a lot of my k-12 friends there. :)

My parents dont nor will they ever understand. Either way I am respectful of the positive things they derive from their faith and sometimes I wish I was irrational enough to do the same, I'd probably worry less about all of the horrible suffering in the world and would still eat meat and such. I go to church with them when I'm back home.

Reactions: 1 user
I come from a firm atheist household.

Around the time I was 14-15, I became obsessed with the idea of being a part of a church like so many of my friends were. I spent a good year going to church with 2 of my friends every Sunday (and youth group) but I could just never get into the idea or feel like I truly "believed" or "belonged".

At this point, I don't think about my beliefs very often and am a very content atheist, but I am glad that I took the time to explore other options for myself - I have a hard time understanding how anyone can feel completely secure in their beliefs without stepping out of their bubble for a little while.

I come from a firm atheist household.

upload_2014-7-25_12-59-59.jpeg

Strong agnostic atheist. Parents are very religious Orthodox Christians.

I always find it amazing, in a sad way, when Christians do what they were called not to do anymore. One ancient Jewish custom was to curse people in the middle of a service who had renounced Judaism as commanded in Deuteronomy (Chapter 21). However, Paul mentions in Galatians 3:13 that "Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us—for it is written, “Cursed is everyone who is hanged on a tree”—". Basically it means, for those that believe in Christ, we should also believe that his death/resurrection made that commandment in Deuteronomy null. At least, that's how I see it.

This is not to convince you of anything. Just to say, your mom is doing something very similar to what the ancient Jew custom called for, attempting to shame you for renouncing your faith. You can't force her to accept your choice. Just like you can't force your brothers to choose religion or to follow in your footsteps. This might sound super hippy of me but all you can really do is love your parents as they are and love your brothers.

I never had a strong faith, and I've always been skeptical. I've done quite a bit of thinking since my post on the first page, and I'm a newly discovered atheist. I'm very happy with that, but I am in a fundamentalist baptist family, so I don't know how well recieved my non-belief will be.

It feels great to be free from cognitive oppression and to admit that!:clap: I feel like I have more capacity to realize my own potential now. It's strange how much of your perfectly good brain goes to waste on worrying about religion or the "afterlife". I'm happy to be living a rational life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So far as religion, my parents raised me in a rather interesting way. They never talked about it. Not once. They thought it was up to me to choose what system of beliefs to put my faith in. To this day, my father still refuses to discuss religion, but my mother admits she is Christian but detests organized Christianity. I was never indoctrinated into anything, I just kind of stumbled around on my own reading religious and philosophical texts and came to my own conclusions, which I am very reluctant to share with any but my closest friends because I believe religion is an extremely personal thing.

So far as religion, my parents raised me in a rather interesting way. They never talked about it. Not once. They thought it was up to me to choose what system of beliefs to put my faith in. To this day, my father still refuses to discuss religion, but my mother admits she is Christian but detests organized Christianity. I was never indoctrinated into anything, I just kind of stumbled around on my own reading religious and philosophical texts and came to my own conclusions, which I am very reluctant to share with any but my closest friends because I believe religion is an extremely personal thing.
Well, I was about to ask if you would share what your beliefs were, but...there we have it!

I'm a Southern Baptist.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the religionist and atheist are two sides of the same coin--the former claims proof of the existence of god, and the latter claims proof of the nonexistence of god.

Many of the religionist's arguments in favor of the existence of god are circular, in that one may claim "The bible says god exists, and the bible is the word of god, and the word of god is always true, and thus god exists." The atheist, on the other hand, often uses premises from unsound religious arguments in their own arguments claiming the nonexistence of god, which also begs the question (in a rigorous sense).

I prefer to examine the two opposing world views from a perspective with no vested interest in whether or not god exists, per se. In one world view, matter-energy is primary, and mind is derivative; in the other, mind is primary, and matter-energy is derivative. To which of these two possible world views can more truth be assigned, as matters of fact deal with experience, and, to my knowledge, no one has experienced god in a repeatable way.

I prefer to examine the two opposing world views from a perspective with no vested interest in whether or not god exists, per se. In one world view, matter-energy is primary, and mind is derivative; in the other, mind is primary, and matter-energy is derivative. To which of these two possible world views can more truth be assigned, as matters of fact deal with experience, and, to my knowledge, no one has experienced god in a repeatable way.
This begs the question (literally, not the fallacy), what do you think of those who see illusions or have hallucinations? Do you see them as equally valid world views? Like, auditory or visual hallucinations of a schizophrenic.

Looks like, as a very religious person, I will definitely be in the minority during medical school. I'm excited to experience all the diversity, having grown up in a religious area of the US.

Syncretist. I blend a variety of religious thought into my own personal understanding. Makes it hard to claim territory in a fight about the topic though.

Lots of Taoism layered with various flavors of polytheism, all piled up on a base of agnostic uncertainty. But it works for me.

This begs the question (literally, not the fallacy), what do you think of those who see illusions or have hallucinations? Do you see them as equally valid world views? Like, auditory or visual hallucinations of a schizophrenic.

One could say that the human brain is a computer, as it gets inputs from an external source (mechanical and chemical information), converts them (transduction to nervous signals), and gives outputs (experience). If one happened to be privy to 7 billion computers, 1% of which give different outputs from the same inputs as the other 99%, is it true that the outputs of the 1% are false, solely because they are different?
  1. To say that they are false solely because they are different presupposes a teleology in the universe, that is, a purpose, because being different from the vast majority is objectively undesirable if and only if the difference is a random divergence from how things ought to be.
There are, of course, other arguments to the contrary position--like how "gut instinct" tells us schizophrenia is bad simply because it feels unpleasant to most, if not all, of people who are afflicted by it.

In my opinion, the religionist and atheist are two sides of the same coin--the former claims proof of the existence of god, and the latter claims proof of the nonexistence of god.

Many of the religionist's arguments in favor of the existence of god are circular, in that one may claim "The bible says god exists, and the bible is the word of god, and the word of god is always true, and thus god exists." The atheist, on the other hand, often uses premises from unsound religious arguments in their own arguments claiming the nonexistence of god, which also begs the question (in a rigorous sense).

Not true at all. The vast majority of atheists I've ever met have been agnostic atheists, never claiming "proof" of anything.

Hopefully this isn't a jab at Islam.
It's a jab at Islam, Judaism and Christianity. They all three claim that their holy books are the only sources of morality. But this is false as secular people often live more morally than do fundamentalists who shun people because of their skin color, their sexual orientations, their personal beliefs and things about them they cannot change.

What I mean by this (and I was a christian for all my 20 years) is that it is foolish in my eyes to base the morality that I apply to this contemporary era on the justice and ethics of a group of tribal, uneducated people who lived during the bronze age.

What do you expect when your morality is based on tribal justice written by half illiterate desert dwellers?
Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible and was raised in the house of Pharaoh. Thus, he was probably one of the most educated people on the planet at the time.

Reactions: 1 users
Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible and was raised in the house of Pharaoh. Thus, he was probably one of the most educated people on the planet at the time.

That's a good point! You don't personally know those who wrote the Bible, or that they were "illiterate desert people." In reality everyone is influenced by the teachings of others but you don't hear us discounting your professors credibility or attacking the books they wrote that influenced J Senpai's beliefs.

In reality everyone is influenced by the teachings of others but you don't hear us discounting your professors credibility or attacking the books they wrote that influenced J Senpai's beliefs.
It's called academic discourse, and happens ALL the time. Some of us prefer a solid base of evidence...

Reactions: 1 users
It's called academic discourse, and happens ALL the time. Some of us prefer a solid base of evidence...
Yes, the purported solidity of that base vs. the base of religious viewpoints is why threads like this exist.

I was referencing atheism, not agnostic atheism. The two certainly are distinct.
They are not distinct; agnostic atheism is a subset of atheism that contains almost every atheist I've ever met or even heard of (including the most vocal atheists like Dawkins, Dillahunty, etc.). It contains everyone that says "I lack a belief in gods, but I don't claim to 'know' this with gnostic, 100% certainty." I know a TON of atheists, and they're literally all agnostic atheists. I have talked to one or two gnostic atheists on the internet, total. They are extremely, extremely rare.

Agnosticism regards knowledge; atheism regards belief. Definitely not mutually exclusive, and actually typically coincide. That's something people get wrong a lot. I am a VERY strong atheist, as most of my friends happen to be, but we're all agnostic atheists because there are literally infinitely many gods that *might* exist but are simply indistinguishable from the state of there not existing any gods. We just see no reason whatsoever to believe in any hypotheticals without evidence and will be atheists until there is reason to think otherwise. It's the fact that we leave room to one day perhaps be proven wrong with radical new evidence that could surface in the future that makes up the agnostic part.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
They are not distinct; agnostic atheism is a subset of atheism that contains almost every atheist I've ever met or even heard of (including the most vocal atheists like Dawkins, Dillahunty, etc.). It contains everyone that says "I lack a belief in gods, but I don't make my claim with gnostic, 100% certainty." I know a TON of atheists, and they're literally all agnostic atheists. I have talked to one or two gnostic atheists on the internet, total. They are very, very rare.

Agnosticism regards knowledge; atheism regards belief. Definitely not mutually exclusive, and typically coincide. I am a VERY strong atheist, as most of my friends happen to be, but we're all agnostic atheists because there are literally infinitely many gods that *might* exist but are simply indistinguishable from the state of there not existing any gods. We just see no reason whatsoever to believe in any hypotheticals without evidence and will be atheists until there is reason to think otherwise. It's the fact that we leave room to one day perhaps be proven wrong with radical new evidence that could surface in the future that makes up the agnostic part.

Agnostic atheism more closely falls under agnosticism, not atheism. Also, you're misusing gnosticism.

Agnostic atheism more closely falls under agnosticism, not atheism. Also, you're misusing gnosticism.
Why are you thinking the two are mutually exclusive? One is a knowledge claim and one is a belief. Most every agnostic atheist I've ever met first and foremost refers to himself as "atheist."

jq513f8689.png

Why are you thinking the two are mutually exclusive? One is a knowledge claim and one is a belief. Most every agnostic atheist I've ever met first and foremost refers to himself as "atheist."
I agree agnosticism and atheism are commonly misused; especially by those who technically align themselves as agnostic atheists. However, agnostic atheism is generally held as more extreme viewpoint under agnosticism not atheism.

Edit - they're both knowledge claims.

I never said they were. I agree agnosticism and atheism are commonly misused; especially by those who align themselves as agnostic atheists. However, agnostic atheism is generally held as more extreme viewpoint under agnosticism not atheism.
My understanding has been different. I think I have exactly one agnostic atheist friend who, in a word, would say she is an "agnostic." Everyone else I know says "atheist." It doesn't seem to make sense to have atheism be the "extreme" form of agnosticism because theism *also* then would fall under agnosticism. Unless theism is considered at least as extreme, since that's a positive claim as opposed to the rejection of claims.

Edit - they're both knowledge claims.
No, they aren't. Only agnosticism is a knowledge claim. Atheism is an opinion; agnosticism is a claim about whether or not the answer to that question is actually knowable.

No, they aren't. Only agnosticism is a knowledge claim. Atheism is an opinion; agnosticism is a claim about whether or not the answer to that question is actually knowable.
No they're not. They're both differing philosophical view points. This is blunt (I'm tired, it's late, and have to move in 8 hours), so I apologize in advance, but please do some research on the topics, and don't try to generalize what you read to fit a preconceived schema.

Last edited:
Last edited:
It's debatable that he even existed, much less that he wrote those books.

It baffles me how some premeds could get A's out of classes like genetics, molecular biology, evolution and still think some magical sky daddy that watches you all the time zapped everything here in 6 days. Indoctrination runs that deep. No wonder some of the most horrible atrocities in history are committed in the name of religion.

I have met practicing Christians, Jews, Muslims, and Buddhists that very much believe in evolution (and the way it is taught in science classes). I don't necessarily see religion and science as contradictory. Some interpret the creation story in the bible broadly and that evolution fits within it. I actually had this discussion with a few people. I don't remember how they reconciled the whole 6 day creation timeline though - I believe they interpreted a day to not be equivalent to a modern day - that part was unclear to me. Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

That's a good point! You don't personally know those who wrote the Bible, or that they were "illiterate desert people." In reality everyone is influenced by the teachings of others but you don't hear us discounting your professors credibility or attacking the books they wrote that influenced J Senpai's beliefs.

Exactly. In threads like these @J Senpai is much more interested in being antagonistic and belligerent than honest and engaging, which is why I *facepalm*ed at her post. Referring to the rulers and scribes and teachers of the law, many who were multilingual, as half-illiterate is profoundly absurd. Discrediting the morality of those who wrote scriptures because they were "desert dwellers" is arbitrary and ludicrous, and then, of all things, claiming atheists are more moral is hubristic and indefensible, since, inherently, an atheistic worldview cannot actually quantify or justify morality, and her statement is likely based on the morality of Christianity (which she was taught from a young age), and thus her gauge of what is moral or isn't is based on the very system she wishes to discredit.

It's best to just move it along and not give her much attention in these matters.

Last edited:
Exactly. In threads like these @J Senpai is much more interested in being antagonistic and belligerent than honest and engaging, which is why I *facepalm*ed at her post. Referring to the rulers and scribes and teachers of the law, many who were multilingual, as half-illiterate is profoundly absurd. Discrediting the morality of those who wrote scriptures because they were "desert dwellers" is arbitrary and ludicrous, and then, of all things, claiming atheists are more moral is hubristic and indefensible, since, inherently, an atheistic worldview cannot actually quantify or justify morality, and her statement is likely based on the morality of Christianity (which she was taught from a young age), and thus her gauge of what is moral or isn't is based on the very system she wishes to discredit.

It's best to just move it along and not give her much attention in these matters.

Despite the fascination with unicorns, I'm fairly positive @J Senpai is a dude.

I have met practicing Christians, Jews, Muslims, and Buddhists that very much believe in evolution (and the way it is taught in science classes). I don't necessarily see religion and science as contradictory. Some interpret the creation story in the bible broadly and that evolution fits within it. I actually had this discussion with a few people. I don't remember how they reconciled the whole 6 day creation timeline though - I believe they interpreted a day to not be equivalent to a modern day - that part was unclear to me. Anyway, I thought it was interesting.

You have to be careful to interpret posts accurately. When you are responding to someone who asks a rhetorical question while saying religious people believe in "a magical sky daddy," you, sir, have encountered a troll, and your time responding will be wasted.

Despite the fascination with unicorns, I'm fairly positive @J Senpai is a dude.
Could be. With his or her gender not readily apparent, I chose to use the female pronoun. Plus, to me, the profile pic is feminine.

Pff, I am holy than most of you. I was baptized 5 times!!!