Rocky Vista University (RVUCOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, as far as I know it is true that if you set up your own rotations you can do them where you want. I have friends doing them in MI, PA, TX, and FL. I know people who are planning on setting up rotations in MN as well. They have basically had to work on it from the beginning 1st year in some cases in order to do it. You can take your shelf exams on the computer and you do not need to travel back to CO to take them.
As far as sites, this list is the best I can do from memory, so I cannot guarantee it is 100% correct or inclusive
Denver, Boulder, Longmont, Ft. Collins, Colorado Springs, Grand Junction, Pueblo, Cheyenne WY, UT (Provo I think?), SD, and that's what I remember, I am probably forgetting some...
Does this answer your question?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know how far in advance interview invites tend to be from the interview date itself?

Anyone know how far in advance interview invites tend to be from the interview date itself?

My ii came on Jan 15, the latest date to interview was on Jan 29. So I would guess they give you about 2 weeks from invite to interview date.

Members don't see this ad :)

I got the ii earlier in the cycle, so I had more flexibility I think to schedule mine. I think I scheduled mine a little over a month from when I got the ii, because that was the earliest I could.

Nope, class of 2018! :)

Did you ever get any certified mail after being accepted? I missed the mailman today and he tried to deliver certified mail. I can't go pick it up until Tuesday because of the holiday. Now I'm curious! And anxious!

I got a letter, but only after I was 100% sure I had been accepted, so I dunno.

I honestly have no idea what certified mail is.... It just came in the normal mail. Haha

Certified means you have to sign
For it. If your not home they don't leave it.

I honestly have no idea what certified mail is.... It just came in the normal mail. Haha
Certified means you have to sign
For it. If your not home they don't leave it.

Nope. Not certified.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Just wanted to offer up some "should-I-apply" themed info.

I'm a New York resident and submitted my secondary only twelve days ago. Got my interview invite last night! My stats aren't crazy either: 3.75/28 with six years as an EMT and a liberal arts degree. It just goes to show you, you never know what will happen unless you submit! Good luck..... and may the odds be ever in your favor! (First movie was WAY better than the second.)

Question time for me: does anyone know how many interviewees are accepted? NY-->CO is a trek!
Hello! I have a weird question. Did they ask you if you feel like it would be a challenge to go back to school after so many years?

Hello! I have a weird question. Did they ask you if you feel like it would be a challenge to go back to school after so many years?
Nope! Not that I can remember -- but everyone's interview was really different. One girl in my group just spent a half hour talking about what her job was like as a flight attendant.

Nope! Not that I can remember -- but everyone's interview was really different. One girl in my group just spent a half hour talking about what her job was like as a flight attendant.

Thank you!

They asked me that...I have only been out of school for a year and a half.

They asked me that...I have only been out of school for a year and a half.

Thanks. Yeah I finished school December 2012 (also a year and half) and then I have been working in a clinic full-time. People can't be in school all the time. Some of us don't have parents that can pay for our bills and rent.

Thanks. Yeah I finished school December 2012 (also a year and half) and then I have been working in a clinic full-time. People can't be in school all the time. Some of us don't have parents that can pay for our bills and rent.
Exactly. Just tell them what you have been up to and how that is keeping you challenged and your brain sharp. Do you also volunteer or do research? Also add in any activities you have done too. For example if you've been training for a marathon, teaching or coaching little ones, tutoring ... Whatever it is don't discount it.

Reactions: 1 user
So I am in my late 30s, and I did a post-bacc and didn't get asked about going back to school after however many years, don't worry about that, as long as you have the ability to study, you'll be fine

Interviewed 2/12. Waiting to find out if I got accepted or not :nailbiting:

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck! They did mention that they meet today.

Congrats! See you in July! :)

Reactions: 1 users
They asked me that as well. I tried to prepare for what they might ask and felt totally unprepared for the questions that were actually asked. How about you guys.

What does it mean to be placed in the alternate list? Is it the same as the waiting list?

Yes
An alternate is the wait list

Ugh. I was placed in the alternate list. Does anyone know what are the chances of getting accepted?

Does anyone know when school starts in the fall?
I called yesterday. Orientation. Is sometime during the week of July 21-25, white coat on the 26th and I believe classes start on the 28

- are they any current students or new students who live in the Denver area and make the commute in?

The whole area is the Denver area. Parker is a suburb

Sorry
That seems snarkier than intended
Yes people drive in, some people live very close some don't. Biggest thing is to find a decent place in a safe neighborhood. Most of the area within 10mi of the school is nice

Point taken. What I meant was, Is it typical for students to live in the city and then drive to Parker for class?
My plan is to live in the Aurora area and drive to school. Commuting doesn't bother me at all, though, and 20 minutes is totally worth it to rent a house for a reasonable price, that's also closer to downtown Denver. :)

Aurora is a big city, it goes from the airport almost to the school...
I live off Parker rd & Belleview & drive in about 15mn/7mi

I called yesterday. Orientation. Is sometime during the week of July 21-25, white coat on the 26th and I believe classes start on the 28

- are they any current students or new students who live in the Denver area and make the commute in?

Thanks for the info!

Recently got accepted! Planning to matriculate here, I really liked it a lot. Excited to be coming here this July for orientation

For those of you planning on matriculating here, why did you ultimately choose RVU over any other choices you had?

Lots of students live outside of Parker. Many live in Denver near Wash Park or City Park areas, which have a lot going on in terms of a social scene(20-30 min commute to RVU). Some choose to live in towns like Littleton or Lakewood to be closer to the mountains (40-50 min commute to RVU). Parker is a pretty quiet suburb and not that close to the mountains, so the commute is worth it for those living outside of Parker in terms of lifestyle.

Does anyone know when they start accepting alternates? Has anyone been taken off yet?

for any current students, does anyone commute from Colorado Springs? How many days a week do you drive up? Do you have a car pool?

Yes there are people but I don't know if they're on SDN

Hey guys, I have been on the waitlist since Jan 17th and I interviewed on jan 9th, I've send them updates and a letter of intent a few weeks ago but I havent heard anything since! Its getting disheartening :cryi:

for any current students, does anyone commute from Colorado Springs? How many days a week do you drive up? Do you have a car pool?

I know of one for sure. As far as I know he's driving by himself, but I know don't know the exact reasoning. (no car pool buddies or just preference, etc.) I've talked to him enough to know it's definitely not ideal, but it's the best thing for his family right now. And he's still in school so clearly it's possible, but knowing how far away it is, I wouldn't recommend it if you have an alternative.

Hey guys, I have been on the waitlist since Jan 17th and I interviewed on jan 9th, I've send them updates and a letter of intent a few weeks ago but I havent heard anything since! Its getting disheartening :cryi:

Unfortunately, the thing about the wait list is you really have to wait for people to start committing to schools before it will really move.

Fingers crossed for you, hope to see you next year!